Nursing to Medicine

Started by KEB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KEB

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like to get some medical student, resident, and attending opinions, specifically those who were nurses before making the jump into medicine. I am a 37 y/o female currently working as a nurse. I also have a degree in chemistry and for several years, have been toying with the idea of applying to medical school. I have one prerequisite remaining (the second semester of physics) that I signed up to take this semester, but just dropped because I am worried I will not have the time to devote to the class to get an A. I am also in a nurse practitioner program, but have been put off by the lack of rigor in my program, so I had planned to take a break, take physics, and prepare for the MCAT for the next six months.

My problem is I am not sure that I need to be applying to medical school. I am so incredibly burnt out on patients right now. They suck the life out of me and at the end of the day, I feel like I have nothing left for myself. I have never particularly enjoyed being a nurse and I keep telling myself that the job of a physician is different and I would probably like it a lot better. The problem is, I don't know that I would like it better, and it is a lot of time and money (especially for someone nearing 40) to jump into something if I am not certain I would enjoy it.

So for those of you who were in healthcare before, especially nurses, is it different? Do you enjoy medicine more than nursing? Do you have regrets? Thank you.
 
I would like to get some medical student, resident, and attending opinions, specifically those who were nurses before making the jump into medicine. I am a 37 y/o female currently working as a nurse. I also have a degree in chemistry and for several years, have been toying with the idea of applying to medical school. I have one prerequisite remaining (the second semester of physics) that I signed up to take this semester, but just dropped because I am worried I will not have the time to devote to the class to get an A. I am also in a nurse practitioner program, but have been put off by the lack of rigor in my program, so I had planned to take a break, take physics, and prepare for the MCAT for the next six months.

My problem is I am not sure that I need to be applying to medical school. I am so incredibly burnt out on patients right now. They suck the life out of me and at the end of the day, I feel like I have nothing left for myself. I have never particularly enjoyed being a nurse and I keep telling myself that the job of a physician is different and I would probably like it a lot better. The problem is, I don't know that I would like it better, and it is a lot of time and money (especially for someone nearing 40) to jump into something if I am not certain I would enjoy it.

So for those of you who were in healthcare before, especially nurses, is it different? Do you enjoy medicine more than nursing? Do you have regrets? Thank you.
What about being a physician do you think you would like better? That is the question you need to ask. I never was a nurse, but there seems to be a mindset of medical students nowadays that is pertinent to making it through this path with your pride and health in tact. That mentality is that you want to learn as much as possible, to give the best care that is possible, and be the captain of the ship when it comes to medical decision making. Is that something you want or not, is what you should be asking yourself.
 
Personally if I was in your position, I would become an NP. I feel like you wouldn't be as burned out if you have a bigger leadership role. If you were younger, then I would suggest moving, but it would be you way behind in debt and school is tough. I don't get the feeling from your post that you have a large drive to be a physician either so that's another reason why it might be best to not. If you were a die-hard about it, then you would have the drive to push through the hard times and become a physician.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The medical student forum is more appropriate for discussions that are relevant to current medical students. I'll move this to nontraditional students, several of our med students/residents/attendings also frequent those forums.
 
I’m going to second the NP route unless you want to practice as a surgeon or some other field where you can’t do that as an NP. If your goal is any sort of primary care field then you can have essentially the same practice within a couple years rather than slogging through 7 years of training.

I understand the rigor is an issue and perhaps the answer might be transferring to a more rigorous NP program.
 
Be careful what you wish for. Medical school may be quite a bit more rigorous than you bargained for. While you may never attain the clinical acumen of a physician, with your current background I would advise you complete your current NP program. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
 
I would like to get some medical student, resident, and attending opinions, specifically those who were nurses before making the jump into medicine. I am a 37 y/o female currently working as a nurse. I also have a degree in chemistry and for several years, have been toying with the idea of applying to medical school. I have one prerequisite remaining (the second semester of physics) that I signed up to take this semester, but just dropped because I am worried I will not have the time to devote to the class to get an A. I am also in a nurse practitioner program, but have been put off by the lack of rigor in my program, so I had planned to take a break, take physics, and prepare for the MCAT for the next six months.

My problem is I am not sure that I need to be applying to medical school. I am so incredibly burnt out on patients right now. They suck the life out of me and at the end of the day, I feel like I have nothing left for myself. I have never particularly enjoyed being a nurse and I keep telling myself that the job of a physician is different and I would probably like it a lot better. The problem is, I don't know that I would like it better, and it is a lot of time and money (especially for someone nearing 40) to jump into something if I am not certain I would enjoy it.

So for those of you who were in healthcare before, especially nurses, is it different? Do you enjoy medicine more than nursing? Do you have regrets? Thank you.

I am currently a practicing nurse that is hopefully awaiting an acceptance to medical school this cycle. I'm in my later 20's and I definitely understand the feeling of being "burnt-out" by patients. I think becoming a physician will definitely suit me better as I don't enjoy the field of nursing very much but I think many of the same stressors will be a factor, and then some. I think for myself what makes me want to really push through the decision to pursue medicine is that I enjoy the academic challenge, I want the leadership, and I like that the field of medicine provides more career opportunities than say an NP or PA. I however also wanted something more than just a job or career, but a lifestyle. Sometimes it helps to take a step back and just think about "If I had 3 years to live, what would I spent it doing." Not to sound like a super-hero, but I know I'd still want to spend it practicing medicine. I worked in the OR for 3 years as an anesthesia technician prior to obtaining my BSN and the OR is simply my happy place. I think it's ok to have a little fear, but I wouldn't pursue this route unless I was absolutely committed. Just my $0.02; best of luck on your decision!
 
If you're burnt out now, med school will escalate that quickly and consistently. You're looking at 7 years minimum before you're working a 'normal' job again with tons of hours studying between, and residency where the hours will likely be crap compared to what you're doing now.

As others have said - NP would be a great choice for you. Another possibility would be PA school. Some of the pre-reqs differ, and it doesn't require the MCAT. Both are great options if you're looking to stay in health care, but are already currently burnt out. Not saying PA school or NP school won't burn you out further, but since they don't require a residency and that they are shorter in length (and cost as you brought up), you will simply be less burnt out.
 
What about being a physician do you think you would like better? That is the question you need to ask. I never was a nurse, but there seems to be a mindset of medical students nowadays that is pertinent to making it through this path with your pride and health in tact. That mentality is that you want to learn as much as possible, to give the best care that is possible, and be the captain of the ship when it comes to medical decision making. Is that something you want or not, is what you should be asking yourself.


Yea, I have seen significantly less and less of this whole "captain of the ship" thing. Sadly, it certainly isn't as possible to be captain of your own ship in private practice anymore. It's all changed so much, and you always have to answer to someone. Can you make some money? Yes, after going through A LOT. Do you get to call all the shots, even as an attending? Nah. I'd just like to see the return of sound family practice/general practice w/o all the interference and overhead costs. Looks like a lot of that dream is gone. Physicians have become paid healthcare workers like others in healthcare, which some exceptions; but it's not like it used to be.

OTOH, NPs don't have independent practice in most states. But even if they had it, I am not sure that it would be any better for them anymore than with a number of physician providers. I mean when you are squeezed by overhead costs, endless regulations, and endless amounts of paperwork, it does a lot to kill the dream.
 
Yea, I have seen significantly less and less of this whole "captain of the ship" thing. Sadly, it certainly isn't as possible to be captain of your own ship in private practice anymore. It's all changed so much, and you always have to answer to someone. Can you make some money? Yes, after going through A LOT. Do you get to call all the shots, even as an attending? Nah. I'd just like to see the return of sound family practice/general practice w/o all the interference and overhead costs. Looks like a lot of that dream is gone. Physicians have become paid healthcare workers like others in healthcare, which some exceptions; but it's not like it used to be.

OTOH, NPs don't have independent practice in most states. But even if they had it, I am not sure that it would be any better for them anymore than with a number of physician providers. I mean when you are squeezed by overhead costs, endless regulations, and endless amounts of paperwork, it does a lot to kill the dream.
If you don't believe it, at least, then yeah you are really not gonna want to be a physician. You can do plenty of other healthcare careers. Despite the impending administration burden, ultimately what drives healthcare is physicians. Doctors are starting to wake up and move away from corporate medicine, the pendulum is starting to shift. Corporate and hospital medicine used to be what the "good" and "caring" doctors would do. Those who want good relationships with patients are leaving due to the burdens of corporate medicine and owning their own practices. Doctors are the intrinsic value multipliers of medicine.