Nursing vs Physician (part 2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOPharmMD

Aspiring PharmD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone wanted to know how people chose careers, in this case nursing vs physician. While I believe that everyone has a right to justify why they choose a specific field, I don't believe degrading another is a right way to go about helping someone decide which way to go. In response to the OP, and some negative attacks posted by students who aren't in medical school, may never sit in a medical class, SisterMike and Chimichanga argued most cogently why people simply pick careers that are most satisfying to them. They even did a great job to demur the equivocal and fuzzy logic the phalanx of these pre-Meds whose haughty manners were pervasive in an innocent thread of an unsure OP. SDN need more serious thinkers like SisterMike and Chimichanga!

If I were to choose pharmacy, these pre-meds would say that I'll only dispense drugs (despite my years of training and same pre-med/pharm pre req); if I became a physician (D.O.), they'll say that it was easier to get into; (from chimichanga, reworded) "if I became a physician (family practice), an ER wannabe will look down on me;a general surgeon, the wannabe neurosugeon will look down on me!" Now, someone could wander around in a desultory way about a career in nursing based on others' fatuous ideas, or one whose phlegmatic manner and self-motivation, can choose a career based on profound ideals (please refer to a previous thread by me, titled "what are we getting ourselves into?).

I will not bash on anyone, but I could not resist the fact that one of these 'pricks' was a former marine. Without intentionally hurting anyone who are deeply related to events unfolding in Iraq, I'd like to tell this former marine if he found success being a marine? If I signed to be a marine, would I'd be looked down upon by you:FUTURE DOCTOR?

Here is a bit of food for thought I'm sure your insouciance (and your forum entourage) won't have any problem reciprocating not in a bellicose, putrid response, but rather in a cohesive and thoughtful reply albeit a quixotic or picayune one. Furthermore, identify yourselves so that those who chose to pursue careers other than medicine, will have no problems tipping your cantankerous self the lousy buck you deserve (as you flunk out of pre-med)!

Why this morose expression (behind your monitor)?

I can't abide coarseness and stupidity!

To the OP of the part 1 thread: Please search both fields and see what best suits you. Do you desire to be a nurse and then become a physician? Do you ultimately want to be a physician? Can you handle the years of studying? There are many questions ONLY you can answer. You may come to SDN to find other great people who are genuinely interested in helping others but, your values are MOST important. My handle is DO Pharm MD, go figure!

Members don't see this ad.

My mother and sister are nurses and, based on their experiences, I would urge you to factor in wages as well. Nurses are in high demand, and they generally work for hourly wages. Overtime, holiday pay, bonuses for picking up shifts...they can all really add up. My mom often works for upwards of $125 an hour if she plays her cards right. Add that to working in unusual or hard-to-staff fields and you get a lot of "bang for your buck" with fairly flexible hours. There are a variety of fields available, and often nurse practicioners take on many of the same roles as physicians. All of this is not a concern, of course, if you like what physicians do more than what nurses do (or vice-versa) but it is something to consider if you are looking for a flexible job that's in high demand and can pay really well.

Someone wanted to know how people chose careers, in this case nursing vs physician. While I believe that everyone has a right to justify why they choose a specific field, I don't believe degrading another is a right way to go about helping someone decide which way to go. In response to the OP, and some negative attacks posted by students who aren't in medical school, may never sit in a medical class, SisterMike and Chimichanga argued most congently why people simply pick careers that are most satisfying to them. They even did a great job to demur the equivocal and fuzzy logic the phalanx of these pre-Meds whose haughty manners were pervasive in an innocent thread of an unsure OP. SDN need more serious thinkers like SisterMike and Chimichanga!

If I were to choose pharmacy, these pre-meds would say that I'll only dispense drugs (despite my years of training and same pre-med/pharm pre req); if I became a physician (D.O.), they'll say that it was easier to get into; (from chimichanga, reworded) "if I became a physician (family practice), an ER wannabe will look down on me;a general surgeon, the wannabe neurosugeon will look down on me!" Now, someone could wander around in a desultory way about a career in nursing based on others' fatuous ideas, or one whose phlegmatic manner and self-motivation, can choose a career based on profound ideals (please refer to a previous thread by me, titled "what are we getting ourselves into?).

I will not bash on anyone, but I could not resist the fact that one of these 'pricks' was a former marine. Without intentionally hurting anyone who are deeply related to events unfolding in Iraq, I'd like to tell this former marine if he found success being a marine? If I signed to be a marine, would I'd be looked down upon by you:FUTURE DOCTOR?

Here is a bit of food for thought I'm sure your insouciance (and your forum entourage) won't have any problem reciprocating not in a bellicose, putrid response, but rather in a cohesive and thoughtful reply albeit a quixotic or picayune one. Furthermore, identify yourselves so that those who chose to pursue careers other than medicine, will have no problems tipping your cantankerous self the lousy buck you deserve (as you flunk out of pre-med)!

To the OP of the part 1 thread: Please search both fields and see what best suits you. Do you desire to be a nurse and then become a physician? Do you ultimately want to be a physician? Can you handle the years of studying? There are many questions ONLY you can answer. You may come to SDN to find other great people who are genuinely interested in helping others but, your values are MOST important. My handle is DO Pharm MD, go figure!

Have a pleasant evening. :) Semper Fi

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone wanted to know how people chose careers, in this case nursing vs physician. ... There are many questions ONLY you can answer. You may come to SDN to find other great people who are genuinely interested in helping others but, your values are MOST important. My handle is DO Pharm MD, go figure!

Some good points in there, but you don't need to say it in a manner dripping in pretense and abusing $10 words (and by the way, it's cogent, not congent).

Some good points in there, but you don't need to say it in a manner dripping in pretense and abusing $10 words (and by the way, it's cogent, not congent).
Thank you... it shows that people are willing to read and think.... unfortunately, mistakes big or microscopic are bound to creeep in. It was a typo when I typed 'congent'... I meant cogent. Thx for reading and taking the time to respond.

Pretense? okay (that's a first.....no comment). This is what someone had to say to a previous post... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=337429&highlight=caught+pre-Med+excitement

Someone wanted to know how people chose careers, in this case nursing vs physician. While I believe that everyone has a right to justify why they choose a specific field, I don't believe degrading another is a right way to go about helping someone decide which way to go. In response to the OP, and some negative attacks posted by students who aren't in medical school, may never sit in a medical class, SisterMike and Chimichanga argued most congently why people simply pick careers that are most satisfying to them. They even did a great job to demur the equivocal and fuzzy logic the phalanx of these pre-Meds whose haughty manners were pervasive in an innocent thread of an unsure OP. SDN need more serious thinkers like SisterMike and Chimichanga!

Here's another word you'll like: turgid.

I just read your other thread, and it was pretty uplifting.

Here's another word you'll like: turgid.
Thx for reading! I suppose in my case you refer turgid as being too serious, perhaps even boring? I did not start this thread. I simply extended it having carefully followed the brouhaha that ensued... only with the good intention to settle it and not to exacerbate the situation. But any comments, mostly constructive or neutral are welcomed! On the other hand, it would be naive to pretend that it is ok to give an unsure person a degrading response about an alternate career.

P.S. Glad you enjoyed my other post!

thanks for the support...

dopharmmd--

I think the post you referenced was an interesting, thoughtful post. Your perspective especially with regards to your brother was refreshing and your writing style is cool...a bit like and 18th century Englishmen but you definately caused me to think about some things.

However...the thing I was trying to express to the op which i feel you and sistermike are not, is what it feels like to get punched in the nose and then kicked around some in the hospital. I'd be more impressed with your high thinking if I knew you'd been in the trenches and still maintained your idealism. Because really...until your back hurts and people are treating you like **** and you can't go fast enough to meet everyones ridiculous expectations you don't really know how you'll handle things. Maybe you one bad chivalrous m.f. and in which case I applaud your sensibilities. But there more to the reality of a certain occupation than philosophies and ideas.

In anycase, cheers:thumbup: .--Ben.

Nas,

Exactly on point...

Guys like Onyx likely don't know what another's life is like (in the trenches)

Hell, I don't want the liability of a doc...No thanks...I respect that pressure and the physician living w/ it...

But the housekeeper who has to clean the bloody trauma room in 5 minutes before another comes, also works under pressure...

ONYX has no idea what a nurse does, and should not preconceive his notion until he walks a mile...

Hospitals need doc/nurse collaboration...It makes for better PATIENT outcomes, period...

Nas,

Exactly on point...

Hell, I don't want the liability of a doc...No thanks...I respect that pressure and the physician living w/ it...

But the housekeeper who has to clean the bloody trauma room in 5 minutes before another comes, also works under pressure...

ONYX has no idea what a nurse does, and should not preconceive his notion until he walks a mile...

Hospitals need doc/nurse collaboration...It makes for better PATIENT outcomes, period...

I certainly agree with 100%. Honestly in retrospect i was only reading a few posters on that thread, i tend to tune out b.s. to the point where, I don't even know what they said or meant besides the quick generalization that they were mostly concerned with looking at their own penises.

Nas,

Exactly on point...

I know what it takes to cope with extremely traumatizing situations. I admire whoever has the courage to work under such coniditions. I sympathize with their emotional stress because I also have had to search within to find that inner strength to face life at its worst, take the best out of it, and move on. You are correct. Its very hard to see humanity in situations like these. Its a part of life that I wish I didnt have to experience yet I know that I have become a stronger person because of it. Perhaps, maybe, one day I may find myself as a surgeon in an emergency room.