NYC Anesthesia programs 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gasbro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read all the old threads, but much has changed, so I am looking to start a new discussion regarding these programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've read all the old threads, but much has changed, so I am looking to start a new discussion regarding these programs.

I am former NYC program graduate and this is my brief and anecdotal impression of the programs from the feedback of myself and others.

NYU: People seem overall happy, research exists, lifestyle arguably best among those I am listing.

Cornell: Happiness seems middle of the road, private feel to things.

Mt Sinai (not SLR): People seem the happiest, tends to be cohesive unity between residents and most faculty, chummy, research exists.

Columbia: People seemed overall less happy and felt less connected to the program than those mentioned above, research opportunities seem better than those mentioned above, perhaps greatest case complexity of those listed.

As a prospective applicant any thoughts on if any of these programs tend to match students that do aways more than the others? Just trying to plan out where to try to get a rotation that would be most beneficial from a medical student perspective

I am former NYC program graduate and this is my brief and anecdotal impression of the programs from the feedback of myself and others.

NYU: People seem overall happy, research exists, lifestyle arguably best among those I am listing.

Cornell: Happiness seems middle of the road, private feel to things.

Mt Sinai (not SLR): People seem the happiest, tends to be cohesive unity between residents and most faculty, chummy, research exists.

Columbia: People seemed overall less happy and felt less connected to the program than those mentioned above, research opportunities seem better than those mentioned above, perhaps greatest case complexity of those listed.

My impression is all 4 have about equal case complexity, esp if you split cases up to 26 residents or so a year

As a prospective applicant any thoughts on if any of these programs tend to match students that do aways more than the others? Just trying to plan out where to try to get a rotation that would be most beneficial from a medical student perspective

Would do away at where you want to go to. Away can be hit miss. It will help if you do well but can hurt if you suck. With that said from what I heard, Sinai is the most competitive of the 4 so probably that one

My impression is all 4 have about equal case complexity, esp if you split cases up to 26 residents or so a year

Would do away at where you want to go to. Away can be hit miss. It will help if you do well but can hurt if you suck. With that said from what I heard, Sinai is the most competitive of the 4 so probably that one

Maybe 5 years ago

Maybe 5 years ago

Care to elaborate? Not that familiar but I know Columbia does lung transplants that the other 3 dont, and sick peds. I guess if you use those you can say Columbia does more complicated cases but overall average it out does Columbia really do sicker cases?

Care to elaborate? Not that familiar but I know Columbia does lung transplants that the other 3 dont, and sick peds. I guess if you use those you can say Columbia does more complicated cases but overall average it out does Columbia really do sicker cases?
Sinai does lung transplants though not many. Tons of livers. No sick peds really. But case breadth won't be an issue at any of the NYC programs.

Sinai does lung transplants though not many. Tons of livers. No sick peds really. But case breadth won't be an issue at any of the NYC programs.

We do lung transplants? I wasn't made aware of that, but I've only been here for a few years...

I've done super sick kids, sick elderly, sick everybody. I don't think that as a resident you'll be missing a ton not seeing a lung transplant, because let's be honest, you won't be doing them as an attending unless you do some sort of fellowship (CT or just T), and as a resident you'll probably be with a fellow and an attending.

I'll say the same thing that I say every time. If you want to go to a program in NYC, pick the place where you think you fit in best. It's four years of your life, and it isn't to be squandered. You'll be adequately trained at any of the hospitals in the city.

Reactions: 1 users
Current resident at NYU. I can only comment about my program and know nothing really about the others BUT I would highly consider NOT coming to NYU. NYU's main hospital, Tisch, is becoming insanely busy. Rooms run late into the night and residents often times get stuck in the OR until 6-7pm. If you work late on night there is no system in place to try to get you in one of the early rooms the next day. There is no overtime pay system here at NYU. Additionally, we do 100% elective cases on Saturdays. Recently this has been a near full OR schedule. The one positive of this is this is one of our moonlighting opportunities. $100/hr for working on a Saturday. Bellevue is busier than it used to be but much more humane than Tisch in terms of hours. Usually still out between 4-5pm. We also take a lot of call because we cover the two hospitals. On any given night there are 7-8 residents on call. All calls are 24hr with a postcall day

So residency is supposed to be rough with long hours and terrible calls right? I guess. But beyond that, the culture here at NYU is pretty toxic. We have a VERY inbred department. There is very little resident education, the administration looks out for themselves, the department plays favorites with residents, thinking outside the box is discouraged, and some of the attendings are downright nasty. We are even encouraged to lie on our ACGME surveys. When we bring up complaints/concerns to the chiefs or administration we are more times than not given a pathetic veil of an excuse. Administrators tell us to do this, do that, work harder, be more efficient yet safe and responsible while they consistently single cover (or don't even do cases) and leave at 4pm everyday. Maybe this is how it is everywhere? But if it's not, I think applicants should know.

I can confidently say that here resident education is not the top priority. Being productive, efficient, and catering to the surgeons needs is the most important. God forbid I'm in the room 2 minutes late because I discover that my patient has new onset exertional angina and want to investigate it further. When we look on the schedule and see an SRNA (you read that right SRNA) assigned to a pheo room or room with FOI it's no longer a surprise. "Lectures" are given by CA2s who I think mostly just Wikipedia the topic the night before, M&M is a platform to criticize instead of learn, and Grand Rounds are a hit or miss excuse to get free coffee and a pastry. But again, maybe this is not too different from how it is everywhere.

People mostly get the fellowships they want I think. But from what I've heard/seen you'll mostly be on your own for this process. It seems like ~50% of classes are going into pain these days if that gives you an idea of how toxic the OR environment is here at NYU.

If you absolutely need to be in Manhattan will NYU be a bad choice for you? The answer is no. Maybe it's better than the other programs in the city...I honestly have no idea. But just based on what I saw on interviews there are probably better programs out there in terms of lifestyle and legitimate commitment to resident education. Do I think that I'll be sufficiently trained when I leave here? Yes. Do I think I'll be a competent anesthesiologist when I leave here. Yes. But at what cost?

*Most of this negative stuff applies to Tisch since at Bellevue residents are given a lot more autonomy and the attendings do take a little more time out of their busy schedules to teach things other than how they like the room setup

**Oh and I know I'm a brand new member and this is my first post. That seems to be important here on this forum for some reason?

Reactions: 9 users
Current resident at NYU. I can only comment about my program and know nothing really about the others BUT I would highly consider NOT coming to NYU. NYU's main hospital, Tisch, is becoming insanely busy. Rooms run late into the night and residents often times get stuck in the OR until 6-7pm. If you work late on night there is no system in place to try to get you in one of the early rooms the next day. There is no overtime pay system here at NYU. Additionally, we do 100% elective cases on Saturdays. Recently this has been a near full OR schedule. The one positive of this is this is one of our moonlighting opportunities. $100/hr for working on a Saturday. Bellevue is busier than it used to be but much more humane than Tisch in terms of hours. Usually still out between 4-5pm. We also take a lot of call because we cover the two hospitals. On any given night there are 7-8 residents on call. All calls are 24hr with a postcall day

So residency is supposed to be rough with long hours and terrible calls right? I guess. But beyond that, the culture here at NYU is pretty toxic. We have a VERY inbred department. There is very little resident education, the administration looks out for themselves, the department plays favorites with residents, thinking outside the box is discouraged, and some of the attendings are downright nasty. We are even encouraged to lie on our ACGME surveys. When we bring up complaints/concerns to the chiefs or administration we are more times than not given a pathetic veil of an excuse. Administrators tell us to do this, do that, work harder, be more efficient yet safe and responsible while they consistently single cover (or don't even do cases) and leave at 4pm everyday. Maybe this is how it is everywhere? But if it's not, I think applicants should know.

I can confidently say that here resident education is not the top priority. Being productive, efficient, and catering to the surgeons needs is the most important. God forbid I'm in the room 2 minutes late because I discover that my patient has new onset exertional angina and want to investigate it further. When we look on the schedule and see an SRNA (you read that right SRNA) assigned to a pheo room or room with FOI it's no longer a surprise. "Lectures" are given by CA2s who I think mostly just Wikipedia the topic the night before, M&M is a platform to criticize instead of learn, and Grand Rounds are a hit or miss excuse to get free coffee and a pastry. But again, maybe this is not too different from how it is everywhere.

People mostly get the fellowships they want I think. But from what I've heard/seen you'll mostly be on your own for this process. It seems like ~50% of classes are going into pain these days if that gives you an idea of how toxic the OR environment is here at NYU.

If you absolutely need to be in Manhattan will NYU be a bad choice for you? The answer is no. Maybe it's better than the other programs in the city...I honestly have no idea. But just based on what I saw on interviews there are probably better programs out there in terms of lifestyle and legitimate commitment to resident education. Do I think that I'll be sufficiently trained when I leave here? Yes. Do I think I'll be a competent anesthesiologist when I leave here. Yes. But at what cost?

*Most of this negative stuff applies to Tisch since at Bellevue residents are given a lot more autonomy and the attendings do take a little more time out of their busy schedules to teach things other than how they like the room setup

**Oh and I know I'm a brand new member and this is my first post. That seems to be important here on this forum for some reason?

I've reviewed this review for accuracy with several colleagues of mine and there is a very important correction we'd like to make. There is fresh fruit served at each Grand Rounds in addition to the coffee and pastry. It would behoove the OP to make cut fruit part of his/her complete healthy breakfast.

Reactions: 12 users
We do lung transplants? I wasn't made aware of that, but I've only been here for a few years...

I've done super sick kids, sick elderly, sick everybody. I don't think that as a resident you'll be missing a ton not seeing a lung transplant, because let's be honest, you won't be doing them as an attending unless you do some sort of fellowship (CT or just T), and as a resident you'll probably be with a fellow and an attending.

I'll say the same thing that I say every time. If you want to go to a program in NYC, pick the place where you think you fit in best. It's four years of your life, and it isn't to be squandered. You'll be adequately trained at any of the hospitals in the city.
Stand corrected, they no longer do them since I left residency per the UNOS data.

Members don't see this ad :)

can any other NYU residents chime in on this? This is the opposite of what I gathered on interview day.

Not an NYU Resident, but this post lines up pretty well with what I’ve heard through the grapevine.

Not an NYU Resident, but this post lines up pretty well with what I’ve heard through the grapevine.

Honestly from what you said, it really doesn't sound THAT different from other big anesthesiology programs in my opinions. Especially the hours worked part. I know leaving at 6-7pm sucks when you are at Tisch but on the bright side you are leaving really early at Bellevue so it kind of balances it out. Education is weak simply because hospitals are strapped for money and are having attendings double cover as much as they can while also giving lunch breaks to attendings in 1 room. NYC has a terrible payer mix, with high cost and intense competition. I do admit that SRNAs getting the good cases is ridiculous and should not happen in any decent residency program. Pretty sure many programs do elective cases on weekends. We do plenty of elective cases on sat/sunday sometimes to late in the night

I just wanted to address a few things in this post (as you can imagine word of it spread around our residents pretty quickly).

I am also a current resident. I do not know who wrote this post and I was honestly a little shocked to see it. Aside from the usual commiserating that goes on at every job in the world, I've never heard anyone bring up grievances this intensely.

1. We have been staying later than was advertised when I interviewed here. Occasionally this means we're in the OR to 6 or 7 when we are at the private hospital (Tisch). On average I would estimate we work 65-75h a week when we are at Tisch depending on what the our call schedule looks like. Lastly, we have a new hospital opening in July with 30 new rooms that will likely disperse the OR cases and, with hopes that OR schedules will be lighter overall.

2. We don't make overtime pay if we are stuck late. The boardrunners do know, however, if you were stuck late the day before and try to get you out earlier the next day, circumstance does not always allow for that. We also have voluntary moonlighting positions (pay is $100/hr) that make it easy to make an extra $5-10K a year and our base pay is the highest in the city as far as I know.

3. As far as a toxic environment, I couldn't disagree more. Our program director is extremely approachable and very understanding. I think we do a very good job of creating a collegial environment and we're on a first name basis with most of the attending. There are a few attendings that are less desirable to work with. I would imagine that is a constant among every specialty at every residency program. The claims of a "toxic environment" and "VERY inbred" seem to be opposing to me. Why would you stay on to work as an attending or come back after completing fellowship if you felt it was toxic?

4. As a resident I have never been asked to lie on the ACGME survey. I've only been encouraged to come forward and bring up any concerns about a rotation with the PD so that a change could be made (although i've never felt the need to do that). In my time here changes have been made to the regional rotations to increase the number of blocks, increase in moonlighting pay, reimbursement for board exams for passing, starting a monthly oral board prep, and addition of CRNAs overnight on OB nightfloat to help with our high volume, all based on resident feedback.

As for some of the other things, I'll just touch on them briefly.
I would argue that focus on turnover and efficiency is a good thing. That is the way things are in every hospital and it is better to be efficient coming out of residency than getting blindsided when you take your first job. At tisch, there is certainly pressure to perform under time constraints, which from a training standpoint is a good complement to the more laid-back, educational pace of Bellevue. By the end of residency, I want to be confident to perform in the setting of real emergencies, where time constraints often mean life and death. To feel pressure when inserting alines or epidurals or fiberoptic intubations is invaluable in becoming a reliable provider that can rescue emergency situations.
An SRNA to my knowledge has never done a pheo. This claim is preposterous.
As far as lectures, our M+M is probably our best conference. I've never felt personally attacked when presenting and I have always learned a lot from my own and other peoples undesired outcomes. The lectures taught by CA2s are a recent change that I agree probably needs to be changed back and even so the advanced lectures are all taught by attendings. Grand rounds are typically presented by visiting professors, sometimes they have boring topics, most times they don't. (also we have assorted fruit, bagels, tea, and OJ in addition to the coffee and pastries like one of the responses mentioned ;) ). We also have a state of the art sim center at our disposal.

Apologies for being long winded. I just wanted to get another resident's perspective out there. In my time here every resident has gotten in the fellowship they wanted, or found the job they were looking for and the PD gives us all time off for interviewing. I have become close with my co-residents and faculty alike. I can honestly say I enjoy coming to work everyday. It is not perfect, no residency is, but is a phenomenal place to train. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

I just wanted to address a few things in this post (as you can imagine word of it spread around our residents pretty quickly).

I am also a current resident. I do not know who wrote this post and I was honestly a little shocked to see it. Aside from the usual commiserating that goes on at every job in the world, I've never heard anyone bring up grievances this intensely.

1. We have been staying later than was advertised when I interviewed here. Occasionally this means we're in the OR to 6 or 7 when we are at the private hospital (Tisch). On average I would estimate we work 65-75h a week when we are at Tisch depending on what the our call schedule looks like. Lastly, we have a new hospital opening in July with 30 new rooms that will likely disperse the OR cases and, with hopes that OR schedules will be lighter overall.

2. We don't make overtime pay if we are stuck late. The boardrunners do know, however, if you were stuck late the day before and try to get you out earlier the next day, circumstance does not always allow for that. We also have voluntary moonlighting positions (pay is $100/hr) that make it easy to make an extra $5-10K a year and our base pay is the highest in the city as far as I know.

3. As far as a toxic environment, I couldn't disagree more. Our program director is extremely approachable and very understanding. I think we do a very good job of creating a collegial environment and we're on a first name basis with most of the attending. There are a few attendings that are less desirable to work with. I would imagine that is a constant among every specialty at every residency program. The claims of a "toxic environment" and "VERY inbred" seem to be opposing to me. Why would you stay on to work as an attending or come back after completing fellowship if you felt it was toxic?

4. As a resident I have never been asked to lie on the ACGME survey. I've only been encouraged to come forward and bring up any concerns about a rotation with the PD so that a change could be made (although i've never felt the need to do that). In my time here changes have been made to the regional rotations to increase the number of blocks, increase in moonlighting pay, reimbursement for board exams for passing, starting a monthly oral board prep, and addition of CRNAs overnight on OB nightfloat to help with our high volume, all based on resident feedback.

I would argue that focus on turnover and efficiency is a good thing. That is the way things are in every hospital and it is better to be efficient coming out of residency than getting blindsided when you take your first job. At tisch, there is certainly pressure to perform under time constraints, which from a training standpoint is a good complement to the more laid-back, educational pace of Bellevue. By the end of residency, I want to be confident to perform in the setting of real emergencies, where time constraints often mean life and death. To feel pressure when inserting alines or epidurals or fiberoptic intubations is invaluable in becoming a reliable provider that can rescue emergency situations.
As far as lectures, our M+M is probably our best conference. I've never felt personally attacked when presenting and I have always learned a lot from my own and other peoples undesired outcomes. The lectures taught by CA2s are a recent change that I agree probably needs to be changed back and even so the advanced lectures are all taught by attendings. Grand rounds are typically presented by visiting professors, sometimes they have boring topics, most times they don't. (also we have assorted fruit, bagels, tea, and OJ in addition to the coffee and pastries like one of the responses mentioned ;) ). We also have a state of the art sim center at our disposal.

Apologies for being long winded. I just wanted to get another resident's perspective out there. In my time here every resident has gotten in the fellowship they wanted, or found the job they were looking for and the PD gives us all time off for interviewing. I have become close with my co-residents and faculty alike. I can honestly say I enjoy coming to work everyday. It is not perfect, no residency is, but is a phenomenal place to train. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Unless things changed recently, I am pretty sure Columbia has the highest base pay. :)
And how long are your typical turnover times?
It's pretty insane that NYU is planning on opening 30 new ORs. Do they even have the cases to fill 30 new ORs? And anesthesiologists?

Honestly from what you said, it really doesn't sound THAT different from other big anesthesiology programs in my opinions. Especially the hours worked part. I know leaving at 6-7pm sucks when you are at Tisch but on the bright side you are leaving really early at Bellevue so it kind of balances it out. Education is weak simply because hospitals are strapped for money and are having attendings double cover as much as they can while also giving lunch breaks to attendings in 1 room. NYC has a terrible payer mix, with high cost and intense competition. I do admit that SRNAs getting the good cases is ridiculous and should not happen in any decent residency program. Pretty sure many programs do elective cases on weekends. We do plenty of elective cases on sat/sunday sometimes to late in the night
THIS. Dunno why anyone in their right mind would do residency or practice in Manhattan. Pay sucks, ancillary service sucks and hours suck. I work a stones throw away in north jersey in much better conditions. And I can drive to work and park a 2 minute walk from the OR....

THIS. Dunno why anyone in their right mind would do residency or practice in Manhattan. Pay sucks, ancillary service sucks and hours suck. I work a stones throw away in north jersey in much better conditions. And I can drive to work and park a 2 minute walk from the OR....
Well residency I understand... Good training in the area. Practice, not so much.

Cheers.

Only 5-10k per year. Woof.

Yeah, I like my setup, and you’re making me appreciate it even more.

Any info/opinions on NYC programs that aren't top tier in particular Maimonides vs Downstate vs NYMC. Having a hard time ranking these. I would like to stay in NYC and these were the only places I was invited in NY. Don't mind NJ either as I got Rutgers and Robert Wood as well so if these are better than the NYC programs I wouldn't mind ranking them higher. Thanks

Any info/opinions on NYC programs that aren't top tier in particular Maimonides vs Downstate vs NYMC. Having a hard time ranking these. I would like to stay in NYC and these were the only places I was invited in NY. Don't mind NJ either as I got Rutgers and Robert Wood as well so if these are better than the NYC programs I wouldn't mind ranking them higher. Thanks

Id say NYMC is prob the best there though i dont know how the anesthesia department changeup recently has affected it

Hm, I personally have ranked Downstate > NYMC > Maimo. I guess Downstate and NYMC can be a wash.. Maimo is a community program (for what that's worth).

This^^ :thumbup:
You work hard at NYC programs (and at other big programs across the country!). Lotta attitude too. Generally the culture within depts are excellent, but the case volume is typically insane. And the city is awesome. Some have better moonlighting opportunities that soften the blow.

1000% accurate post

Future applicants: please don't get the idea that all large, academic departments in big cities operate like what is being described here. My experience at UCLA has had very little in common with anything that is being said on here. Consider life outside NYC, if you can. Residency is hard and being in a big, academic department for training inherently creates some issues, but not everywhere resembles the picture that is being painted here. Do your research, shop around a little, and don't accept at face value any single person's description of a place.

There are reasons why people will paint a rosy picture or try and bash a place, so take everything you hear, especially on the internet, with a huge grain of salt. It's interesting how these rants often appear on the message boards around list time, isn't it? Good luck to everyone who is matching this year!

Reactions: 3 users
Future applicants: please don't get the idea that all large, academic departments in big cities operate like what is being described here. My experience at UCLA has had very little in common with anything that is being said on here. Consider life outside NYC, if you can. Residency is hard and being in a big, academic department for training inherently creates some issues, but not everywhere resembles the picture that is being painted here. Do your research, shop around a little, and don't accept at face value any single person's description of a place.

There are reasons why people will paint a rosy picture or try and bash a place, so take everything you hear, especially on the internet, with a huge grain of salt. It's interesting how these rants often appear on the message boards around list time, isn't it? Good luck to everyone who is matching this year!

Well that's cause that's when people ask the questions.

I would say that people start to post things like this around match because their program leadership either isn't listening or isn't interested in their complaints. This close to match day they have a much higher incentive to take the residents seriously and make changes.

This post isn't necessarily bashing the program but what it's doing is giving a pretty honest "non-interview season" assessment. Sure, take it with a grain of salt but if you really ready through it, there's honesty in here, especially at the end. NYU may not be the BEST NYC program but the training is pretty solid. You just have to be ready to put in the work. Regardless, being young and in NYC is amazing. Work hard , play hard.

The irony is that I absolutely loved my time at NYU and talk highly of it where I am. It was all good once I figured who was and wasn't on my side. I just figured out the game and played it. Graduated, did a fellowship, got a job and doing alright so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This post isn't necessarily bashing the program but what it's doing is giving a pretty honest "non-interview season" assessment. Sure, take it with a grain of salt but if you really ready through it, there's honesty in here, especially at the end. NYU may not be the BEST NYC program but the training is pretty solid. You just have to be ready to put in the work. Regardless, being young and in NYC is amazing. Work hard , play hard.

The irony is that I absolutely loved my time at NYU and talk highly of it where I am. It was all good once I figured who was and wasn't on my side. I just figured out the game and played it. Graduated, did a fellowship, got a job and doing alright so far.

This is absolutely the stuff of gold. A regular contributor to the forum with some credibility confirming something that is absolutely honest.

medical students need to take note of this.

Reactions: 8 users

This seems like the case for most nyc programs.

I would say that people start to post things like this around match because their program leadership either isn't listening or isn't interested in their complaints. This close to match day they have a much higher incentive to take the residents seriously and make changes.
If your plan for improving things is to post on sdn, things must be bleak. That in and of itself would be a statement on your situation.

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Anybody have updated info regarding Cornell?

Last edited:
Columbia is a great program in terms of training. You'll work hard but see a wide variety of cases. To be honest it is usually 55-70 hours/week on average, which is far lower than my surgical colleagues and on-par with other gas programs (especially considering it is a "workhorse" program). They are additionally getting a new program director at the end of the month who is huge improvement in terms of resident satisfaction and connection. One thing I will note is that only one resident out of six that applied for cardiac fellowship matched at Columbia, which is highly concerning if that is what you are considering for the future.

Any thoughts on Montefiore Medical Center in terms of quality of training, lifestyle, reputation, and overall experience?

Columbia is a great program in terms of training. You'll work hard but see a wide variety of cases. To be honest it is usually 55-70 hours/week on average, which is far lower than my surgical colleagues and on-par with other gas programs (especially considering it is a "workhorse" program). They are additionally getting a new program director at the end of the month who is huge improvement in terms of resident satisfaction and connection. One thing I will note is that only one resident out of six that applied for cardiac fellowship matched at Columbia, which is highly concerning if that is what you are considering for the future.

So i guess columbia doesn't care much about internal applicants.

Program is way overdue for a change in program director. It has a great case mix and well balanced but it's been coasting on its reputation for a while and people are catching on.

They said they save most of their spots for their own residents. My understanding is that half of them did not match to ANY cardiac fellowship spot.

Program is way overdue for a change in program director. It has a great case mix and well balanced but it's been coasting on its reputation for a while and people are catching on.

They said they save most of their spots for their own residents. My understanding is that half of them did not match to ANY cardiac fellowship spot.

Yea half didn't match at all. Dont know about how it went in the other NYC residencies. It was a competitive year i heard

Any thoughts on Montefiore Medical Center in terms of quality of training, lifestyle, reputation, and overall experience?
As a CA-1
Quality of training - Good. Wide variety of cases.
Lifestyle, I want to say not as bad as I had imagined. Call structure is very relaxed and resident friendly. And we get a great mixed bad of cases on call. Most attendings are very reasonable, want to teach, and are very knowledgeable too
Overall experience - So far, no complaints whatsoever

I am a recent grad from
Maimonides and I have to say I am pretty happy with my education. I’m doing fellowship now at a large academic institution and my skill set and knowledge is on par or exceeds my fellow counterparts.
Lots of cardiac , thoracic , Peds , tons of OB , lots of neuro and some liver. I would say only thing missing is transplant. Lots of autonomy if you want it and if you show interest in being taught attendings are willing and ready to teach.
We were out by 5 everyday and get paid extra for staying late/ moonlighting opportunities.
5-6 Calls / month as ca1, 4 as ca2s and 3 as ca3’s. No crna’s no fellows. So everything was our own.
PD and co PD are amazing people and teachers. Not a malignant program at all. And definitely not an inbred place, attendings are from many different institutions so you learn how to do things in many way.
As for Con’s you do end up being double covered a ton, only 2 months of blocks as a ca3, like I said no transplant. And recently a few attendings have left so I’m not sure how things are affected now. But I highly recommend it. Fellowships are not an issue to obtai. PM if anyone has any questions.

I am a recent grad from
Maimonides and I have to say I am pretty happy with my education. I’m doing fellowship now at a large academic institution and my skill set and knowledge is on par or exceeds my fellow counterparts.
Lots of cardiac , thoracic , Peds , tons of OB , lots of neuro and some liver. I would say only thing missing is transplant. Lots of autonomy if you want it and if you show interest in being taught attendings are willing and ready to teach.
We were out by 5 everyday and get paid extra for staying late/ moonlighting opportunities.
5-6 Calls / month as ca1, 4 as ca2s and 3 as ca3’s. No crna’s no fellows. So everything was our own.
PD and co PD are amazing people and teachers. Not a malignant program at all. And definitely not an inbred place, attendings are from many different institutions so you learn how to do things in many way.
As for Con’s you do end up being double covered a ton, only 2 months of blocks as a ca3, like I said no transplant. And recently a few attendings have left so I’m not sure how things are affected now. But I highly recommend it. Fellowships are not an issue to obtai. PM if anyone has any questions.

2 months of regional is standard i thought. you cant request more as elective? Either way if your program has a lot of regional, 2 full months should be enough.
Maimonides is not in bred likely because the pay is low so people leave to go elsewhere. may also be why some attendings have left because many academic centers are hiring and many pay more than maimonides.

As a CA-1
Quality of training - Good. Wide variety of cases.
Lifestyle, I want to say not as bad as I had imagined. Call structure is very relaxed and resident friendly. And we get a great mixed bad of cases on call. Most attendings are very reasonable, want to teach, and are very knowledgeable too
Overall experience - So far, no complaints whatsoever

Thanks for replying. Its hard to get information about this program since the website is so out of date.
Where do you place your grads for fellowship/practice? How much call do you have per month? How is the moonlighting there, and how much do you make from it? Do most residents live nearby or in the city? How is the anesthesia department treated as a whole by the hospital? Has any resident left the program in recent years?

Thanks for replying. Its hard to get information about this program since the website is so out of date.
Where do you place your grads for fellowship/practice? How much call do you have per month? How is the moonlighting there, and how much do you make from it? Do most residents live nearby or in the city? How is the anesthesia department treated as a whole by the hospital? Has any resident left the program in recent years?

you can match into great fellowships from any NYC program. look at columbia. it has a reputable name but half of the cardiac anesthesiology fellowship applicants didn't match. having a reputable name helps but imo its low on the priority list

Another CA-1 here from Monte. I don't really know where all the grads end up for fellowship, but last year they matched 3/3 Pain and 3/3 cardiac I think. I don't think we have any issues placing people into fellowships. Average Call is 4-5 a month, call during the week is pretty sweet. Precall day you are out by 12-2pm usually. Call starts next day at noon and you get out by 7am with post call day off. Having a call during the week you actually work less hours than if you aren't on call. Call is hit or miss, I would say you usually get to sleep 4-7 hours a night. Weekend call is 1-2 a month. Moonlighting is OB after you do your OB rotation ($75 a hour). 50% residents live in the city 50% in the bronx. Our department is treated pretty well, well respected. Most of the cases the srugery rolls the patient back from Pre op instead of us, which is nice, and we have plenty of anesthesia tech support. Surgeons are generally pleasant. Since I been here, no one has left or fired. $17 each day for food, 6 days a week also is nice. And also our department reminsurs for parking at the hospital. ($60 a month). any questions feel free to PM me

Reactions: 2 users
you can match into great fellowships from any NYC program. look at columbia. it has a reputable name but half of the cardiac anesthesiology fellowship applicants didn't match. having a reputable name helps but imo its low on the priority list

So what factors besides letters and ITE scores factor in to fellowship selection? How about finding good job opportunities in the South while doing residency in a northeast program?

Another CA-1 here from Monte. I don't really know where all the grads end up for fellowship, but last year they matched 3/3 Pain and 3/3 cardiac I think. I don't think we have any issues placing people into fellowships. Average Call is 4-5 a month, call during the week is pretty sweet. Precall day you are out by 12-2pm usually. Call starts next day at noon and you get out by 7am with post call day off. Having a call during the week you actually work less hours than if you aren't on call. Call is hit or miss, I would say you usually get to sleep 4-7 hours a night. Weekend call is 1-2 a month. Moonlighting is OB after you do your OB rotation ($75 a hour). 50% residents live in the city 50% in the bronx. Our department is treated pretty well, well respected. Most of the cases the srugery rolls the patient back from Pre op instead of us, which is nice, and we have plenty of anesthesia tech support. Surgeons are generally pleasant. Since I been here, no one has left or fired. $17 each day for food, 6 days a week also is nice. And also our department reminsurs for parking at the hospital. ($60 a month). any questions feel free to PM me

That sounds like a pretty resident friendly program. How many days per week do you work? How many weekends (sat and sun) do you get off per month? I heard you can also show up early on call days (7am - 12pm) to get 5 hours of moonlighting pay? Is the board runner a MD/DO or is it a CRNA? Are residents involved in hospital committees? How many residents are on call at a time? Is there a lounge for anesthesia residents? How much independence do you have in terms of taking care of your patients vs. the attending telling you what to do (what anesthetics to use, to do a DL vs. VL, etc...)? How much sim practice do you get? Is the vacation pre-arranged or can you request a week off at a time?

Thanks again for answering my many questions!

That sounds like a pretty resident friendly program. How many days per week do you work? How many weekends (sat and sun) do you get off per month? I heard you can also show up early on call days (7am - 12pm) to get 5 hours of moonlighting pay? Is the board runner a MD/DO or is it a CRNA? Are residents involved in hospital committees? How many residents are on call at a time? Is there a lounge for anesthesia residents? How much independence do you have in terms of taking care of your patients vs. the attending telling you what to do (what anesthetics to use, to do a DL vs. VL, etc...)? How much sim practice do you get? Is the vacation pre-arranged or can you request a week off at a time?

Thanks again for answering my many questions![/QUOTE]

All weekends are off unless you are on call. Through end of the schedule I can see so far(mid November) I would have worked 4 total weekend days. So average 1 a month, some month you might get 2. I think they got rid of the coming early moonlighting, I have not seen it so far. Board runner is always an anesthesia attending. On call there are 2 residents at a time at Moses and 1 at Einstein. There are call rooms, no lounge for residents only but you can share with the attendings. There is no protocol here for anesthesia care for different cases, so each patient you can discuss with attending and usually they are very reasonable if you want to try your own plan. Vacation is a week off at a time. We don't get that much sim time I don't think compared to other institions. Hosptial committees you can be involved if you like, depends on how proactive you are.

Thanks again for answering my many questions

All weekends are off unless you are on call. Through end of the schedule I can see so far(mid November) I would have worked 4 total weekend days. So average 1 a month, some month you might get 2. I think they got rid of the coming early moonlighting, I have not seen it so far. Board runner is always an anesthesia attending. On call there are 2 residents at a time at Moses and 1 at Einstein. There are call rooms, no lounge for residents only but you can share with the attendings. There is no protocol here for anesthesia care for different cases, so each patient you can discuss with attending and usually they are very reasonable if you want to try your own plan. Vacation is a week off at a time. We don't get that much sim time I don't think compared to other institions. Hosptial committees you can be involved if you like, depends on how proactive you are.

any examples of some committees that previous residents may have participated in? I hear that the nurses in NYC are a huge PITA since they're unionized; has this affected your anesthesia experience in a negative way? I also heard that moonlighting rates have not gone up in like 5-6 years, whereas other programs (like Sinai paying $400 if you go past 7PM or cornell at 100/hr) pay a lot more/hr. Is there talk of increasing moonlighting pay?

Lastly, what would you say needs improvement at your program?