NYC / Boston / Seattle jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

Is it very difficult to find employment in NYC / Boston / Seattle? I realize these are desireable spots, but do most graduates from local programs find local jobs?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Having trained in NYC I know that many of my classmates have found jobs in the area without much difficulty. Working in the city proper tends to pay less, so many take work on Long Island, the northern suburbs, or *gasp* New Jersey. That said, I think there are also decent prospects in the city itself if you are willing to work for a little less.

I got a job in Seattle, so it is possible. However, I found there were far fewer openings then I would have liked, although I didnt have any inside information about the region so that may have been why. People there tell me though that the prospects are going to become slimmer in the future as last year many docs took left traditional jobs to work in many newly opening urgent cares but now things are returning to a balance. Plus I am sure a lot of the grads from the new Seattle program will try to stay local when they come out in a year or two which will saturate the market further. Always has been a tough market up there, it seems.

Dont really know much about the Boston area but on the whole it is always easier to find a job in the area where you did your training. .

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get a job in Seattle; there are a lot of hospitals.

Like any other big city, the jobs might not be there the instant you first apply, so you've gotta be prepared to wait a little bit and pester people.

Or you could get lucky and have three or four offers in the first week. Depends on your timing.

There are jobs around Boston, especially if you are a local grad with defacto "connections."

It isn't wide open, with a million offers, and signing bonuses, and red carpets... but there are jobs :)

Just out of curiously, what is the typical salary in the northwest at community site?

Having trained in NYC I know that many of my classmates have found jobs in the area without much difficulty. Working in the city proper tends to pay less, so many take work on Long Island, the northern suburbs, or *gasp* New Jersey. That said, I think there are also decent prospects in the city itself if you are willing to work for a little less.

Any hard #s for manhattan vs jersey vs other NYC area salaries ?