NYC internal medicine residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For better or for worse, residency name does carry some importance in pretty much all the competitive fellowship programs.
I had to dig my way back all the way to 2009 to find the quoted post. I 100% agree with your assertion but would note that since 2013 4 monte residents matched at MSKCC (including 2016 4/5 residents applying interviewed at msk). Also more matches at NIH, fccc, Cornell and Yale. Anyway just thought it was relevant!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think of Hackensack university IM program that opened up?

Trying to help out one of my schoolmates who is applying next year.

He's a USMD with 217 Step 1. The big programs are out of the running obviously but he's looking to stay somewhat local and match at the best possible location for GI or Pulm/Crit fellowship.

How does this ranking look? Feel free to disagree lol.

Monte
RWJ
LIJ
Stonybrook
NJMS
Winthrop (they're getting a new med school which I think technically converts them into an academic/university program)
Downstate
SLR
Lenox Hill
Beth Israel

Reactions: 1 user
Trying to help out one of my schoolmates who is applying next year.

He's a USMD with 217 Step 1. The big programs are out of the running obviously but he's looking to stay somewhat local and match at the best possible location for GI or Pulm/Crit fellowship.

How does this ranking look? Feel free to disagree lol.

Monte
RWJ
LIJ
Stonybrook
NJMS
Winthrop (they're getting a new med school which I think technically converts them into an academic/university program)
Downstate
SLR
Lenox Hill
Beth Israel

Would knock off beth Israel bc given all the changes going on there I wouldn’t even recommend taking a look. Otherwise it’s ok. As far as competitiveness depending on other factors (what med school, step 2, grades, red flags?) he may not be so competitive for monte/rwj

I would move SLR up above NJMS and downstate. Would also add Jacobi which is a better program than Winthrop

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user