NYC internal medicine residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This couldn't be farther from the truth. I'd say that DS students make anywhere from 20-35% of every class. I will grant you that it is rarely top choice, but outside of the other 5 academic centers, DS may be the best deal otherwise. It is an academic center in a great location (Brooklyn overall, not Flatbush, specifically), and plenty of fellowship opportunities w/ good in-house loyalty. You have to know what you're signing up for, but it is far from the horror story that it is often represented as on SDN.

Not too bad. Not too good either!
It's no walk in the park.
And it is not the best deal.... Or you meant to write beast?
:)

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP

Given how competitive IM is getting, and now that Lenox hill and SLR have been bought by LIJ and Mt. Sinai, I was hoping to get current views (if they have changed at all) - for the mid-tier programs

(1-5) -> Columbia, Sinai, Cornell, NYU, Montefiore

UMDNJ -RWJMS
NSLIJ
Downstate
Stonybrook
Beth Israel
St Lukes
NYMC
UMDNJ Newark
Lenox Hill
Winthrop

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP

Given how competitive IM is getting, and now that Lenox hill and SLR have been bought by LIJ and Mt. Sinai, I was hoping to get current views (if they have changed at all) - for the mid-tier programs

UMDNJ -RWJMS
NSLIJ
Downstate
Stonybrook
Beth Israel
St Lukes
NYMC
UMDNJ Newark
Lenox Hill
Winthrop

I don't think much has changed

Your top 5 are spot on in that order

I'm going to ignore the NJ programs because I don't know anything about them except that I've heard RWJ has a better reputation

Stony Brook and NSLIJ are the next tier but are plagued by location issues. NSLIJ makes up for it with a ridiculously inflated salary.

Don't know much about NYMC

With regards to the community programs I would say St Luke's and Winthrop are probably a bit better regarded than Lenox Hill and BI but they're all essentially the same. Winthrop loses of course on location.

Downstate is a joke... terrible facilities, bad match outcomes (even the chiefs were struggling), no support, you'll get worked like a dog, location sucks, hospital almost went bankrupt not too long ago. I met several DS students on the interview trail who told me they didn't even bother applying there because it's such a nightmare. Really the only students I met on the trail who spoke poorly of their home institution/program.

Reactions: 1 user
Downstate is a joke... terrible facilities, bad match outcomes (even the chiefs were struggling), no support, you'll get worked like a dog, location sucks, hospital almost went bankrupt not too long ago. I met several DS students on the interview trail who told me they didn't even bother applying there because it's such a nightmare. Really the only students I met on the trail who spoke poorly of their home institution/program.
As a Downstate grad, I'll say that it was a phenomenal place to be a student, and a total s***show of a place to be a resident. I didn't bother to apply.

BUMP

UMDNJ -RWJMS
NSLIJ
Downstate
Stonybrook
Beth Israel
St Lukes
NYMC
UMDNJ Newark
Lenox Hill
Winthrop

Lenox Hill, also being NS-LIJ, has a similar salary to LIJ. Great PD also, as well as 6+2.

BUMP

UMDNJ -RWJMS
NSLIJ
Downstate
Stonybrook
Beth Israel
St Lukes
NYMC
UMDNJ Newark
Lenox Hill
Winthrop

Fellow applicant here, based on my interview experience so far plus friends at various places on list, my perception of the programs on your list focused on midtiers is:
1-4 same order

5-8 imo not that far apart

Monte/RWJ 5-6 depending on what you want out of residency. Not sure if killing yourself at monte has great yield for everyone in the class.

NSLIJ/Stony 7-8 again depending on what you want out of a program. slight tier below rwj and monte. More academic feel at stony. Not to say there arent great teachers at LIJ. Just feel like you get less hands on for procedures at LIJ cuz of patient pop. Both have excellent nursing staff.

9. UMDNJ-Newark-great PD and exposure to pathology. opportunity for research maybe limited in certain specialties. You are however exposed to inner city, va, and wealthy burbs environment which gives a balanced exposure of various practice.

10. Downstate- pathology! patients are broken, building is broken(downstate...not county), program is sadly broken. Faculty and residents are on either end of the spectrum-- being some of the smartest and most incredible people I've encountered who could be working at better places but choose the trenches vs. the complete opposite. If only the facilities were halfway as decent as the other SUNY's and nursing Staff was reigned in b/c this place would easily compete with programs much much higher on this list solely on the diseases that come in through the door. Note the obvious bias as I am a student here. Also, this place is the opposite of koooooosh so if lifestyle >>> clinical training then drop to the bottom.

11-13. Beth Israel/ Winthrop/Lenox(edit on 2nd thought). Pick either city or the island. Felt that winthrop was filled with happier people, not sure if you see enough to practice anywhere but if you dont mind locking into a hospital for career then these places look like good options. Lenox Hill. rotated here as student. people were generally nice. Im not sure how much you learn with this patient population.

14. SLR- people were nice but the only thing people talked about on interview day was the housing. Morning report felt staged. PUSHed the Mount affiliation too too much (huge red flag for not owning up to what program is) Didnt feel there was a reason for amg's to come here unless you have to be in the city or you were prepping for interviews.

NYMC no idea where to put this one. Med students from there could prob provide better input.

Last edited:
Do NYU lutheran residents get access to the main campus in the city? Or is it just beneficial for the program to put NYU in the name?

Fellow applicant here, based on my interview experience so far plus friends at various places on list, my perception of the programs on your list focused on midtiers is:
1-4 same order

Monte/RWJ 5-6 depending on what you want out of residency. Not sure if killing yourself at monte has great yield for everyone in the class.

NSLIJ/Stony 7-8 again depending on what you want out of a program. slight tier below rwj and monte. More academic feel at stony. Not to say there arent great teachers at LIJ. Just feel like you get less hands on for procedures at LIJ cuz of patient pop. Both have excellent nursing staff.

9. UMDNJ-Newark-great PD and exposure to pathology. opportunity for research maybe limited in certain specialties. You are however exposed to inner city, va, and wealthy burbs environment which gives a balanced exposure of various practice.

10. Downstate- pathology! patients are broken, building is broken(downstate...not county), program is sadly broken. Faculty and residents are on either end of the spectrum-- being some of the smartest and most incredible people I've encountered who could be working at better places but choose the trenches vs. the complete opposite. If only the facilities were halfway as decent as the other SUNY's and nursing Staff was reigned in b/c this place would easily compete with programs much much higher on this list solely on the diseases that come in through the door. Note the obvious bias as I am a student here. Also, this place is the opposite of koooooosh so if lifestyle >>> clinical training then drop to the bottom.

11-13. Beth Israel/ Winthrop/Lenox(edit on 2nd thought). Pick either city or the island. Felt that winthrop was filled with happier people, not sure if you see enough to practice anywhere but if you dont mind locking into a hospital for career then these places look like good options. Lenox Hill. rotated here as student. people were generally nice. Im not sure how much you learn with this patient population.

14. SLR- people were nice but the only thing people talked about on interview day was the housing. Morning report felt staged. PUSHed the Mount affiliation too too much (huge red flag for not owning up to what program is) Didnt feel there was a reason for amg's to come here unless you have to be in the city or you were prepping for interviews.

NYMC no idea where to put this one. Med students from there could prob provide better input.

very accurate assessment. monte vs rwj distinction you pointed out is very important. Downstate's nurses still give me chills.

very accurate assessment. monte vs rwj distinction you pointed out is very important. Downstate's nurses still give me chills.

A monte resident here; this idea that you have to kill yourself working your butt off at monte is wildly overstated. This reputation continues despite major changes to the program that have vastly changed intern and resident schedules. PM me if anyone has any specific questions...

1-4 same order

@nymed16 Thank you so much for taking the time to write this and share your experience.

I was wondering if you guys could perhaps give me some guidance. I am currently a US MS 3 1/2 (finished 3rd year, currently on a research year), I will be applying IM next year and would like to be near my husband in NYC. As someone interested in eventually pursuing a fellowship (Cards, Hem Onc or Pulm CC at this point), but with a very low Step 1 (212), only 1 Honor in 3rd year (not in IM), a projected Step 2 of ~230-235 (based on practice NBMEs): What programs would be a good fit for my career interests? I will obviously not going to get interviews at programs 1-5, but how about programs 6-14? Would they be a realistic option or would they be considered all "reach"? Any other programs that I should consider that haven't been mentioned?

Thanks guys!

@nymed16 Thank you so much for taking the time to write this and share your experience.

I was wondering if you guys could perhaps give me some guidance. I am currently a US MS 3 1/2 (finished 3rd year, currently on a research year), I will be applying IM next year and would like to be near my husband in NYC. As someone interested in eventually pursuing a fellowship (Cards, Hem Onc or Pulm CC at this point), but with a very low Step 1 (212), only 1 Honor in 3rd year (not in IM), a projected Step 2 of ~230-235 (based on practice NBMEs): What programs would be a good fit for my career interests? I will obviously not going to get interviews at programs 1-5, but how about programs 6-14? Would they be a realistic option or would they be considered all "reach"? Any other programs that I should consider that haven't been mentioned?

Thanks guys!

NYC is competitive for the even decent to good programs so its going to be a little difficult but being a US grad with research you should be alright depending. on where you are coming from. Make sure to make your year productive with pubs and posters b/c many programs have an algorithm to screen eras and those can help. If your not from east coast make sure your personal statement conveys the need to practice in nyc along with the fact that you want to train in a place that offers the patient diversity that nyc offers.

Also be aware that, RWJ& Stony are about 45min+ from Manhattan so just be cognizant of that.

Monte/RWJ/NS-LIJ are probably going to be reaches but you gotta buy a ticket to play lotto. realistically you probably will have a great shot at NJMS/Downstate/Lenox/Beth Israel/SLR.

Other programs to consider are Maimonides, Brooklyn Hospital, Staten Island, Queens Hospital etc.

Regarding fellowship, I would say that most programs I listed can give you a shot for fellowships in cards/pulm crit at okay programs. Heme/Onc is a bit different; those who leave the lower tier programs to good to great programs carry phd's or significant research background in the field.

In general, nyc will provide you the diversity of patient pathology to make you a good clinician. The main difference amongst programs is going to be resources and with that you maybe limited with what you may accomplish if you care to climb the academic staircase.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any input on New York-Presbyterian/Queens Hospital (formerly known as New York Hospital Queens, Booth Memorial Hospital)? I'm very interested in staying in NYC and as an IMG, this is the best NYC invite I got (others were flushing hospital, kingsbrook, etc)

NYC is competitive for the even decent to good programs so its going to be a little difficult but being a US grad with research you should be alright depending. on where you are coming from. Make sure to make your year productive with pubs and posters b/c many programs have an algorithm to screen eras and those can help. If your not from east coast make sure your personal statement conveys the need to practice in nyc along with the fact that you want to train in a place that offers the patient diversity that nyc offers.

Also be aware that, RWJ& Stony are about 45min+ from Manhattan so just be cognizant of that.

Monte/RWJ/NS-LIJ are probably going to be reaches but you gotta buy a ticket to play lotto. realistically you probably will have a great shot at NJMS/Downstate/Lenox/Beth Israel/SLR.

Other programs to consider are Maimonides, Brooklyn Hospital, Staten Island, Queens Hospital etc.

Regarding fellowship, I would say that most programs I listed can give you a shot for fellowships in cards/pulm crit at okay programs. Heme/Onc is a bit different; those who leave the lower tier programs to good to great programs carry phd's or significant research background in the field.

In general, nyc will provide you the diversity of patient pathology to make you a good clinician. The main difference amongst programs is going to be resources and with that you maybe limited with what you may accomplish if you care to climb the academic staircase.

@nymed16 , Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. Best of luck with the match!

Anyone know much about NYMC's IM program? I can't seem to find any stats anywhere. How likely are you to match into into a competitive fellowship (such as cards, GI)?

I'm a west coaster looking at Cornell pretty seriously, mostly for its fast-track and research opportunities. We have a number of friends in NYC and NYC is a big attraction. Duke, UTSW are also under consideration. What I don't have a sense of is how you would explain the NYC hospital culture to an outsider? Is the nurse-doctor relationship dramatically different? Is the clinical training as robust as Duke/UTSW?

Hi everyone,

I'm a US allo MS interested in doing an IM residency in/around NYC, and eventually going into a Heme-Onc fellowship. My stats are pretty low (Step 1 <215, Step 2 ~245, Pass in Medicine, a few pubs/presentations), and I am not from NYC/East Coast. Do you guys have any recommendation regarding which program in/around NYC would be a good residency program for me to aim, given my low scores, lack of ties and desire to go into a Heme-Onc fellowship in the future.
Best,

Sunnyle

Hi everyone,

I'm a US allo MS interested in doing an IM residency in/around NYC, and eventually going into a Heme-Onc fellowship. My stats are pretty low (Step 1 <215, Step 2 ~245, Pass in Medicine, a few pubs/presentations), and I am not from NYC/East Coast. Do you guys have any recommendation regarding which program in/around NYC would be a good residency program for me to aim, given my low scores, lack of ties and desire to go into a Heme-Onc fellowship in the future.
Best,

Sunnyle
Your only chance for being in nyc would be community programs (or downstate if you're a masochist) however these options will impede your chance for a heme/onc fellowship vs going to a university program near nyc. You have the formerly named umdnj programs, NSLIJ, stony brook which are all on the vicinity of nyc.

Honestly though you should reassess why you want to be in or around nyc vs another smaller more affordable city because living in NJ or long Island is nothing like actually living in nyc and would be significantly worse than looking at another smaller, more affordable and less competitive city.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Honestly though you should reassess why you want to be in or around nyc vs another smaller more affordable city because living in NJ or long Island is nothing like actually living in nyc and would be significantly worse than looking at another smaller, more affordable and less competitive city.

Yea... pretty ****ty advice. You might not be IN the city but

If your at Rutgers Newark, you can live in hoboken/jersey city and easily take the path train into city in like a 10-25min ride. Plus those places have **** going on with plenty of bars/restaurants. Your commute to work would require a car but it would be quick.

If your at NSLIJ, you can live in queens/brooklyn as long as youre by the LIE and drive to work in 25min and be able to get to city by subway or just chill in those local neighborhoods. Alternatively you can live on Long Island and lirr a 30-40min ride to penn; granted not as lively locally but super accessible to manhattan and the beach.

RWJ/Stony are a bit too far to prob get into Manhattan on the reg but you can still get there.

If you work at downstate (which can suck sometimes) you can live where every person from a "smaller, more affordable, less competitive city" is trying to live right now. Because brooklyn has cool **** going on.

Also Monte is in the Bronx so you could take subway or Metro North for similar time commute of 20-30min. Or chill in the bronx.

My advice would be to apply and meet and greet the programs to get a feel of each area. Even the community shops in the city to see if you like the idea living there enough to go to a smaller place.

Most people are jelly of nyc and the area around it b/c there is always something going on. And then its either you love ny or you dont. If you love it, then a small commute is nbd and a part of life.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Best,

Sunnyle

nslij/Rwj/monte would be best bet

If your at Rutgers Newark, you can live in hoboken/jersey city and easily take the path train into city in like a 10-25min ride. Plus those places have **** going on with plenty of bars/restaurants. Your commute to work would require a car but it would be quick.

If your at NSLIJ, you can live in queens/brooklyn as long as youre by the LIE and drive to work in 25min and be able to get to city by subway or just chill in those local neighborhoods. Alternatively you can live on Long Island and lirr a 30-40min ride to penn; granted not as lively locally but super accessible to manhattan and the beach.

RWJ/Stony are a bit too far to prob get into Manhattan on the reg but you can still get there.

If you work at downstate (which can suck sometimes) you can live where every person from a "smaller, more affordable, less competitive city" is trying to live right now. Because brooklyn has cool **** going on.

Also Monte is in the Bronx so you could take subway or Metro North for similar time commute of 20-30min. Or chill in the bronx.

My advice would be to apply and meet and greet the programs to get a feel of each area. Even the community shops in the city to see if you like the idea living there enough to go to a smaller place.

Most people are jelly of nyc and the area around it b/c there is always something going on. And then its either you love ny or you dont. If you love it, then a small commute is nbd and a part of life.

Having gone to med school in this general vicinity that's all true

Also not everyone wants to live in a huge, loud, prohibitively expensive city. I like NYC too but there's plenty to see and do in small cities so not everyone is "jelly"

@HelpPleaseMD, thank you for your suggestions.

@nymed16 , thank you for taking the time to write out all those options, I appreciate that. I think NYC is one of the best cities in the world, and I would be delighted to have the privilege to live there for at least a few years. However, I definitely do want to go into Heme Onc in the future. In addition to the academic programs that @HelpPleaseMD listed, would you suggest any strong community programs in/around NYC that would still give me solid chances to land a Heme Onc fellowship down the road (given my scores)?

Best,

I'm especially not "jelly" seeing as I'm a native nyc-er who was forced to try out smaller cities and don't see myself returning to nyc.

A couple important things to keep in mind is that even though there might be lots going on it may not be accessible to you on your resident's salary and the scut work in nyc is unparalleled.

Besides Monte & Downstate, those other programs are not going to scut you to the notorious levels projected on here as far as i could tell from residents on interviews.

In terms of salary, Beth Israel and any of the Northwell places are 67k+ starting w/ a cache of benefits so you can definitely afford to do fun things.

You can certainly do Heme/Onc from these spots mentioned in the thread. Will you be invited to sloan? Probably not. I noticed a ton of in house with a few heading outside of the area. That being said RWJ & Monte are NCI designated. NSLIJ may become designated in the next decade as they are now in partnership w/ CSHL. And if I remember correctly Newark sent people to Mayo? Best bet is to ask the onc thread.

Like I said, your best move is to apply and check it out on interviews and ask the residents.

@HelpPleaseMD, thank you for your suggestions.

@nymed16 , thank you for taking the time to write out all those options, I appreciate that. I think NYC is one of the best cities in the world, and I would be delighted to have the privilege to live there for at least a few years. However, I definitely do want to go into Heme Onc in the future. In addition to the academic programs that @HelpPleaseMD listed, would you suggest any strong community programs in/around NYC that would still give me solid chances to land a Heme Onc fellowship down the road (given my scores)?

Best,

possibly beth israel/st. luke's/lenox hill? TBH I do not know much about these programs. Best you can do is just apply and see what happens.

Given your scores good competitive university programs to aim for close to NYC are Stony Brook and RWJ.

Stony Brook has a great program but for the most part is really a different city. By train its 2+ hrs to get there. For comparison, Philly is 1.5 hrs away by train. Temple in Philly is a place you should look at. It will be a good competitive match to aim for, and Philly imo is like a smaller NYC on many levels.

RWJ is in New Brunswick which is an hour by train from the city, but A LOT of people live there and work in the city.

You might have a shot at LIJ (much closer to the city), especially if you have references! Monte and NYU will be VERY hard but you might get lucky with an interview.

You should be competitive at UMDNJ Newark and all the community hospitals in NYC.

At the end of the day when you're making your rank list, you will have to decide how much you value being in the city city vs a program that gives you a better edge come fellowship time. I had to make similar decisions and ended up ranking the UMDNJ and the NYC community hospitals lower, in favor of better university programs like RWJ/Stony Brook and programs in Philly / DC / Baltimore.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm especially not "jelly" seeing as I'm a native nyc-er who was forced to try out smaller cities and don't see myself returning to nyc.

A couple important things to keep in mind is that even though there might be lots going on it may not be accessible to you on your resident's salary and the scut work in nyc is unparalleled.

Yeah I've heard this sentiment from a lot of people. Going out into the rest of the world opens up a lot more eyes.

My friends who are residents at the big 4 spend most of their time at work and at home...not to say they don't enjoy themselves when they can but there's also different stages in life - once you're married and/or have children it's sometimes less important to have "stuff going on" nearby all the time.

Given your scores good competitive university programs to aim for close to NYC are Stony Brook and RWJ.

Stony Brook has a great program but for the most part is really a different city. By train its 2+ hrs to get there. For comparison, Philly is 1.5 hrs away by train. Temple in Philly is a place you should look at. It will be a good competitive match to aim for, and Philly imo is like a smaller NYC on many levels.

RWJ is in New Brunswick which is an hour by train from the city, but A LOT of people live there and work in the city.

You might have a shot at LIJ (much closer to the city), especially if you have references! Monte and NYU will be VERY hard but you might get lucky with an interview.

You should be competitive at UMDNJ Newark and all the community hospitals in NYC.

At the end of the day when you're making your rank list, you will have to decide how much you value being in the city city vs a program that gives you a better edge come fellowship time. I had to make similar decisions and ended up ranking the UMDNJ and the NYC community hospitals lower, in favor of better university programs like RWJ/Stony Brook and programs in Philly / DC / Baltimore.

While I agree with the bulk of this advice, a 1.5 hour Amtrak ride from Philly ain't cheap. So it's not as accessible as an LIRR ride from Stony Brook practically speaking if that is important to you

While I agree with the bulk of this advice, a 1.5 hour Amtrak ride from Philly ain't cheap. So it's not as accessible as an LIRR ride from Stony Brook practically speaking if that is important to you

But philly is a real city with lots of fun stuff to do while stony brook is...not.

This is very specific to my situation and I do realize this, but I'm a resident at monte and I live on the upper east side (as does a 1/3 of all residents including interns and nearly 50% of 3rd years) and have plenty of time to enjoy NYC. Even intern year as long as you value having a social life (and were not on nights) it was very doable to make it out after work. The subway from 4 train from 86th is about 30 minutes. The d train from the upper west side is about 40 minutes. I drive which takes about 20-25 mins without traffic and 35-40 with traffic.

In terms of where the op is competitive I agree that umdnj/stony brook/nslij/njms and downstate as far as academic programs. Monte IMO would be 50/50 for an interview but more of a reach given the low step 1 and pass in medicine. Could be redeemed by good research and letters though and would definitely apply. Best community programs would be slr BI and Jacobi. Jacobi is kind of random but d/t the affiliation with Einstein it is possible to get solid research opportunities with Einstein faculty, which you'll need to match in a solid h/o fellowship. Feel like Lenox hill will not situate you best even though it has arguably one of the better locations.

The big 4 in Manhattan would be major reaches obviously but can't hurt applying!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all so much for the responses, I really appreciate everyone's input!!!

As New York City programs go the top of the list is obvious (Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai Hospital, NYU). Montefiore is also a really great program, in a somewhat undesirable location in the Bronx; however, I'd argue that Columbia's location is almost as undesirable so it's well worth considering strongly.

After that I think SLR, where I trained (so my opinion is a bit biased), is the next best program in NYC. It has improved a lot since the Mount Sinai takeover and they are spending a lot of money at the two hospitals to improve infrastructure and services. The residents are treated well, the hours are palatable, and we match well into academic fellowship programs. With BI downsizing a lot of the Mount Sinai GME resources are being reallocated to SLR and MSH I think both will only continue to get better.

BI will remain decent until it closes as it benefits as well from being a part of the Mount Sinai Health System. Lenox Hill is also a quality program. And Downstate is okay too but residents we interacted with at MSKCC complained of a high volume of scut work (same is true of Jacobi). If I had rank the programs outside of the top ones I would recommend: SLR > Lenox Hill > SUNY Downstate > BI > Jacobi.

Jacobi matches well into fellowships but the location isn't the greatest and the scut work is high.

So I'm obviously a long time ahead of when I should be really thinking about this (maybe not), but I wanted your guys' opinions (@gutonc ) on how often these top IM programs in NY would even consider a student from a US DO school?

I have been accepted to NYIT-COM this cycle and will most likely matriculate there (waiting on 12 more US MDs), and would like to go into Cardiology ultimately. Given that my board scores are 240+ and that I do well on my clerkships, would being a DO hinder me from interviewing/matching at these residency programs?

Or should I reapply and wait for an MD acceptance? ( I can provide you with stats in PM).

Revisiting this thread from my pre-med days. Thanks for everyone who has contributed so far. So for those of you who care for an update... I ended up at NYCOM. Worked my ass off this year and now want to see where I stand from my previous goal of going to a very strong IM academic program.

USMLE STEP 1 - 246. Two First-Author Publications and Presentations in EM. While I'm considering EM, I'm still HEAVILY interested in going to one of the said academic IM programs in NYC. What's it looking like? Can I break into a top 5? I have some people I know in other specialities who are PD's at these top institutions that I have kept in touch with, but not specifically IM PD's.

Currently just started third year and am hoping to continue to bust my ass and honor my blocks.

A highly qualified nycom student matched at monte this past match. Monte interviewed about 10 do's from nycom/touro mostly

Revisiting this thread from my pre-med days. Thanks for everyone who has contributed so far. So for those of you who care for an update... I ended up at NYCOM. Worked my ass off this year and now want to see where I stand from my previous goal of going to a very strong IM academic program.

USMLE STEP 1 - 246. Two First-Author Publications and Presentations in EM. While I'm considering EM, I'm still HEAVILY interested in going to one of the said academic IM programs in NYC. What's it looking like? Can I break into a top 5? I have some people I know in other specialities who are PD's at these top institutions that I have kept in touch with, but not specifically IM PD's.

Currently just started third year and am hoping to continue to bust my ass and honor my blocks.

To echo whoknows2012 consider Montefiore. With a 246 you'll get looks from everyone that considers DOs. Also, don't discount the combined IM/EM programs if you're interested in both. A lot of EM programs tend be 4 years on their own and the combined programs are usually 5 years so you keep a lot of doors open for the sake of 1 more year of residency. I'd also recommend that you try to get Step 2 done so that your score is reported before ERAS opens. A 250+ will open a lot of doors for you. Good luck!

Whats up guys

3rd year DO student from a NY school. I'm trying to set up my away rotations for 4th year, and I'd love to stay in the NYC area for residency. I'm open to fellowships, but that's not the most important thing for me, so I'm ok going to a weaker program that doesn't send as many residents to fellowships.

Step 1: 224
Level 1: 607

Currently studying for Step 2/Level 2.

I probably don't have a chance at the Big 4 due to the fact that I am a DO (+ mediocre board scores), but I was wondering if I had a chance at St. Lukes or Lennox Hill. Open to Northwell LIJ, Downstate, Beth Israel.

As an aside, also open to Philly, and northern Virginia/DC, if anybody has any good IM programs off the top of their head that they thing I'd be a good candidate for.

Whats up guys

3rd year DO student from a NY school. I'm trying to set up my away rotations for 4th year, and I'd love to stay in the NYC area for residency. I'm open to fellowships, but that's not the most important thing for me, so I'm ok going to a weaker program that doesn't send as many residents to fellowships.

Step 1: 224
Level 1: 607

Currently studying for Step 2/Level 2.

I probably don't have a chance at the Big 4 due to the fact that I am a DO (+ mediocre board scores), but I was wondering if I had a chance at St. Lukes or Lennox Hill. Open to Northwell LIJ, Downstate, Beth Israel.

As an aside, also open to Philly, and northern Virginia/DC, if anybody has any good IM programs off the top of their head that they thing I'd be a good candidate for.

St Luke's-Roosevelt takes DOs, I don't know what their stats typically are though. It's worth applying to and they send a fair amount on to fellowship each year ~50%. If Montefiore takes DOs you also might have a shot there and it's a really good program. I believe Pennsylvania Hospital and Einstein in Philadelphia both take DOs and are quality programs. Be careful with Beth Israel, they've been restructuring/downsizing for the past couple of years and are in the process of closing, not saying that you shouldn't apply but approach with caution.

St Luke's-Roosevelt takes DOs, I don't know what their stats typically are though. It's worth applying to and they send a fair amount on to fellowship each year ~50%. If Montefiore takes DOs you also might have a shot there and it's a really good program. I believe Pennsylvania Hospital and Einstein in Philadelphia both take DOs and are quality programs. Be careful with Beth Israel, they've been restructuring/downsizing for the past couple of years and are in the process of closing, not saying that you shouldn't apply but approach with caution.

Monte does take do’s, interviews ~10 take 2-3, usually from NE schools (pcom, NYCOM and touro). Usually top of the class and high scores and so it wouldn’t say it’s a great shot but I would certainly apply if I were the OP.

I am having a hard time ranking Stony Brook vs Rutgers RWJ.

1) If my goal is to be a hospitalist, which program would provide me with better job opportunities in NYC?
2) If I change my mind and want to do fellowship (cardiology), which would provide me with better chances?
3) Which city would you rather live in and why?

I am having a hard time ranking Stony Brook vs Rutgers RWJ.

1) If my goal is to be a hospitalist, which program would provide me with better job opportunities in NYC?
2) If I change my mind and want to do fellowship (cardiology), which would provide me with better chances?
3) Which city would you rather live in and why?

If you are truly dead set on being an NYC hospitalist (I can’t imagine why...horrendous pay, awful ancillary staff, high cost of living) then New Brunswick is probably easier to get into NYC from on a regular basis. Both have pretty decent cards fellowships but I think RWJMS better reputation for internal medicine. It’s all about you as an applicant and what you put in too though

If you are truly dead set on being an NYC hospitalist (I can’t imagine why...horrendous pay, awful ancillary staff, high cost of living) then New Brunswick is probably easier to get into NYC from on a regular basis. Both have pretty decent cards fellowships but I think RWJMS better reputation for internal medicine. It’s all about you as an applicant and what you put in too though

If I end up wanting to work in Long Island or Queens over Manhatten, would Stony be a better choice than Rutgers?

Or would recruiters in LI/Queens prefer Rutgers since it has "more prestige?"

If I end up wanting to work in Long Island or Queens over Manhatten, would Stony be a better choice than Rutgers?

No. You're really overthinking this. Employers are going to be looking for someone who completed a residency, has a valid license and hasn't actively killed anyone in the past 2 or 3 weeks. Bonus if you also have a pulse, but that seems to be a variable requirement.

Nope. Places do not typically think THAT regionally when looking at employment

Consider one of the Northwell Hospitals. They have been gradually phasing out the private internist hospitalist model slowly and have been hiring more of their recent graduates to be full time hospitalist/nocturnists lately with good hiring rates.

Honestly big city hospitalist is merely being a glorified IM resident. You are hardly the master of diagnoses like the fictional Gregory House. I am certain the surgical PA outranks you in terms of how to manage med/surg cases. If you desire that kind of "masterful expertise", it would be best to do multiple medicine fellowships and then practicing primarily IM and only accepting "difficult cases."

Definitely helpful to get some perspective from you all. I've been thinking very region based.

I do like the opportunities working at Northwell. Will rank it high for sure

So as far as Heme-Onc -- Monte matched 3 to Cornell and 1 to Stanford last year. Also matched to NIH, NYU, Sinai, Monte, Yale.

MSKCC I hear interviewed 1/4 -- I am sure interviews are somewhat dependent on where you go to residency...

My guess (and only guess) is that some Heme Onc places care about the name of the residency and then consider individual characteristics and others look more individually. Obviously research, letters of rec, who you know, performance in residency etc. all matter.

For better or for worse, residency name does carry some importance in pretty much all the competitive fellowship programs.

Definitely helpful to get some perspective from you all. I've been thinking very region based.

I do like the opportunities working at Northwell. Will rank it high for sure
It's reasonable to think regionally. But the region you're looking at starts in Pittsburgh in the west, extends to Stonybrook in the East, north to UMMC and south down to UMaryland.

Stop thinking like a New Yorker. You may be shocked to discover that there are places in this country that you can't see with binoculars from Windows on the World.