NYC MSTPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenix3000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if any current students or applicants have any insight into the NYC MSTPs.
Which would be best for cancer research?
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Phoenix3000 said:
Hey guys,
I was wondering if any current students or applicants have any insight into the NYC MSTPs.
Which would be best for cancer research?
Thanks so much!

i think sloan kettering (as part of the tri-institutional cornell/rock/SKCC) is probably a safe bet for the best cancer place in new york, if not the world.

Spacedman said:
i think sloan kettering (as part of the tri-institutional cornell/rock/SKCC) is probably a safe bet for the best cancer place in new york, if not the world.

which do you think would be best if the tri-institutional program is not an option?

Members don't see this ad :)
On Nov. 22nd, The Scientist sent out a great supplement about the many research centers in New York. If you can't get your hands on a hard copy of it, here's the link: http://www.the-scientist.com/supplement/2004-11-22

You'll have to sign up, but if you are a student of any kind you can subscribe for free.

In terms of facilities and resources, I don't think anything beats the Tri-Institutional program. It's administered by Cornell, but allows you to do lab work everywhere in Bedpan Alley. So you can get the basic science stuff at Rockefeller, the pure-cancer focus at Memorial Sloan-Kettering and the rest at Cornell.
Obviously, there's other programs in NYC. But I don't really see them at being any better (or any worse) than a lot of other programs around the country. My personal favorite, apart from the Tri-Institutional, would probably be UCSF or the Texas Medical at Houston, because it's attached to MD Anderson. Would actually rate those two a lot higher than places like Harvard and Johns Hopkins, if you're thinking clinical and translational cancer research.

Has anyone else heard that Ski is pulling out of tri-i to start their own grad program? Maybe Habari can comment on this.

tedrik said:
Has anyone else heard that Ski is pulling out of tri-i to start their own grad program? Maybe Habari can comment on this.
If that rumor was true, that would suck but I don't know if Cornell MSTPs in the grad student phase would still encounter many difficulties in finding a thesis adviser there.

When I interviewed at their pathology residency program, I got the sense that Ski was a bit separate and didn't have an intimate relationship with Cornell...ie, residents don't do mandatory rotations there...but you CAN do a 3 month elective if you want. Ski has their own fellows which are separate from the fellows at Cornell.

No MSKCC is not pulling out of the Tri-I , but they are starting their own grad school. They're going to be taking apps in fall 2005.

PathOne said:
Texas Medical at Houston, because it's attached to MD Anderson

baylor/ut-houston and md-anderson are arguably second to sloan-kettering, but let's just say they're not in new york city ;)

as the ever magnanimous DarkChild (and HairyChild) stated, SKI pulling out of the Cornell PhD grad program. In the past, Cornell grad students could do their phd at SKI, but they will no longer be able to because SKI will be getting their own pool of students. The only way this pertains to the Tri-I is that if a student does their phd at SKI, they will have to adhere to SKI's particular thesis requirements (courses, orals, defense formats). Otherwise, the change won't really be noticed internally.