NYC --> Philadelphia on interview run

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legobikes

bikes made of lego
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to get from an interview at NYMC to Philly so that I can possible be at an interview the next day?

Is there a rail service or anything? Buses?

Members don't see this ad.

some sort of train from nymc to penn station in nyc. then take the new jersey transit to trenton. transfer over onto a septa to philly and tada!!
estimated travel time: 2-3 hours.

You can take Amtrak from Penn Station in NY to Philadelphia's 30th Street Station. There is also bus service. The Chinatown bus, I've heard, is the cheapest way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a chinatown bus from Chinatown in NYC to Chinatown in Philly for $20 roundtrip (or I think $15 one way) - It's a shady way to go, but the buses are cheap and in pretty decent condition (Two-2.5 hours depending on traffic). Alternately, you can take the Septa/NJ Transit trains that ICC mentioned from Penn Station, transferring in Trenton (the last stop on the line) to the Philly train right in front of the train you get off. Last time I took it I think it was around $33.50? roundtrip and like $19 one way. You can check the scheduled times on NJ Transit's website, but it runs really frequently and takes you to 30th Street Station in Philly. Depending on where you're staying you could also get off in Philly at Suburban Station (17th and JFK) or Market East (11th and Market). There's also a greyhound bus from NYC"s bus terminal at 42nd and 7th avenue but it's about the same cost as the train if not a little more.

The expensive (yet fastest) way to go is Amtrak which (last time I took it which was awhile ago) cost $56 one way. It's faster assuming that Amtrak doesn't have delays which is always a dubious conclusion and also takes you to 30th Street Station.

you guys are fast (and helpful!).

thanks.

I just got off the phone with nymc, rescheduled that interview. if anyone is interviewing at nymc a spot just opened up on the 7th of march.

anyway I will have the nymc interview on the 28th and then a drexel interview on the 30th. so I think timing shouldn't be too much of a problem.