NYCOM c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, if you got any questions about the school or anything feel free to ask away. Us first years just finished :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, if you got any questions about the school or anything feel free to ask away. Us first years just finished :thumbup:

Recently there was a review of NYCOM in the "Pros and Cons of Your DO School" thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8144959&postcount=460

I'm hoping this isn't a review that is accurate nor one that many current students agree on. I personally got a pit in my stomach after reading that, honestly. I still have faith in NYCOM, and I don't expect every person to be happy there obviously, but I hope that there are nicer things to say about it than what's in that review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Semicolon! I completely forgot about that.

Recently there was a review of NYCOM in the "Pros and Cons of Your DO School" thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8144959&postcount=460

I'm hoping this isn't a review that is accurate nor one that many current students agree on. I personally got a pit in my stomach after reading that, honestly. I still have faith in NYCOM, and I don't expect every person to be happy there obviously, but I hope that there are nicer things to say about it than what's in that review.

I saw that review, I will do a full comment on it later when I feel like actually typing alot (I'm on vacation here :D) What I can comment on though is that the curriculum isn't constantly being changed. We have had a systems based format for 3 years now and they haven't changed it much since implementing the new format (4 years since they first implemented the new format). As for our profs, for the most part I haven't found any of them to be standoffish. I have always been able to get in touch with them when i wanted to and many of our basic science professors are really good. I love our anatomy dept and most of our OMM dept. As for the rest, many of that pertains to the 3rd and 4th year of which i haven seen yet.

Also, does anyone have the booklist for summer reading?

Don't read any medical textbooks That's for sure! No need to read that Bate's book on physical diagnosis (thats what they rec you read before school starts).

I would say if you want to read anything about medicine, Then I would rec reading

1. House of God by Samuel Shem
2. Complications by Atul Gawande
3. Better by Atul Gawande
4. Intern by Sandeep Jauhar
5. Stiff by Mary Roach

As I have said before, in terms of books you should get before school starts get:
1. Grant's dissector by Tank.
2. An anatomy atlas (I loved Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body by Johannes W Rohen, Chihiro Yokochi. Some people though, choose to get a free copy of Netters atlas when they signed up for SOMA (an $60 or $80 registration fee).
3. First Aid for USMLE STEP I.
4. Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, Seventh Edition by Vinay Kumar, Nelso Fausto, and Abul Abbas.

One bedroom available in a 3 bedroom apartment for rent in Sea Cliff, 10 minutes from NYCOM. The two other rooms are occupied by 2nd year NYCOM students. Looking for females only!

Apartment Includes: full bath, specious living room, big kitchen, dining area with sliding doors to the deck.

Room comes with a garage.

Rent: $800
Everything included in the rent – electricity, gas, cable and internet, central air conditioning and telephone!
You can see pictures of the apartment at:
http://adiros.tripod.com/

Ray Gilmore
646-321-0237
Valentina Gilmore
917-517-4121
[email protected]

One thing you need to realize about NYCOM is that they admit a lot of immature whiners who probably don't belong in med school to begin with. Some of these kids think they are still in college. They will complain about everything from water fountains not working, to the hours the gym is open, to not being allowed to have a school sponsored soccer game betw 1st and 2nd years. They think they are at a luxury resort. If you go to NYCOM motivated to learn medicine, you will do well. I personally loved it there. It was expensive, it was stressful around test times, there were some negatives to the school, but overall I'm glad I attended. Rotations were great. Of course some hospitals are more organized than others. You just need to make it clear to the residents and attendings that you want to learn because as I said, a lot of your classmates will be immature and will be looking for ways to leave early and not do any work. This ruins it for the people who really do want to learn. I found the clinical ed staff to be VERY helpful. They will sit down with you and help you plan or change your schedule IF YOU ARE POLITE. Again, kids walk in there and start cursing and yelling because they got their second choice hospital instead of their first. In fact they bent over backwards and called hospitals for me to try to accomodate me. Financial aid is as helpful as a financial aid dept can be. They are very nice and will tell you what forms to fill out.

Do not listen to the review. If you are truly worried about this stuff, it probably means you are one of the more mature ones and you will do just fine.

Congrats to NYCOM CLASS OF 2013 ..

I just recently graduated the past few weeks from NYCOM going into an orthopedic surgical residency.

I have TONS of books and notes and extra stuff for sale .. i really would like to sell it in bulk and just get rid of it ..

If you are interested and want to have some extra boost this summer to prepare as well .. just message me ..

Thanks and good luck :D

-Trace

Hey newbies! Congrats to you all! :)

I am selling a lot of books and even my medical equipment (otoscope and ophthalmoscope) for low low prices! The medical equipment is mandatory BTW and you can't live without these books, trust me... I was an anatomy fellow and I know what I'm talking about. If you like what you see below, send me a message or email and we'll talk prices and a way to get it to you! I'm moving soon so I'd like to not pack up these items :)

WELCH ALLYN DIAGNOSTIC SET... plus some extras ($350)
Diagnostic Set with Coaxial Ophthalmoscope, MacroView™ Otoscope with Throat Illuminator, Convertible Rechargeable Handle in Hard Case (Part Number: 97200-MC)

PLUS... a fake eye to practice with, eye chart, guide to the examination of the eye, guide to examination of the ear, and extra disposable ear specula

The otoscope lamp is burned out, all you need is a replacement lamp, easy to install, costs about $30 (Part Number: 06500-U; 3.5 V Halogen Lamp for MacroView™ Otoscope)

If you do the research this set costs about $600 when you order it offline or from the reps that come to NYCOM. Save yourself a few hundred!

BOOKS - Most books have NO HIGHLIGHTING, 2 or 3 have minimal amounts (price obviously reflects use!)

AN OSTEOPATHIC APPROACH TO DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT (DIGIOVANNA) (ISBN 0781742935) $40 ($78 NEW)

PATHOLOGIC BASIS OF DISEASE (ROBBINS) PLUS CD-ROM (ISBN 8181475283) $45 ($100 NEW)

BIOCHEMISTRY (LIPPINCOTT'S) (ISBN 0781722659) $20 ($40 NEW)

MEDICAL PHYSIOLOGY (RHOADES & TANNER) (ISBN 0781719364) $50 ($100 NEW)

MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY (MURRAY) (ISBN 0323012132) $30 ($65 NEW)

HISTOLOGY: A TEXT AND ATLAS (ROSS) PLUS 2 CD-ROMS (ISBN 0683073699) $25 ($85 NEW)

CLINICALLY INTEGRATED HISTOLOGY (CORMACK) (ISBN 0781712114) $10 ($30 NEW)

BASIC & CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY (KATZUNG) (ISBN 0071410929) $25 ($65 NEW)

NEUROLOGY FOR THE NON-NEUROLOGIST (WEINER) (ISBN 0781746310) $25 ($65 NEW)

FIRST AID FOR THE USMLE STEP 1 (ISBN 0071461159) $10 ($45 NEW)

BOARD REVIEW SERIES PHARMACOLOGY, PATHOLOGY, AND PHYSIOLOGY $5 for all three

I'll take $550 for all the books AND the medical equipment! Thats less than what you will pay to Welch Allyn in August guys! The more you buy the more you save!

Save yourself some of that loan check money and buy used!

I have a PayPal account or I can take cash or check.

Contact me: [email protected]

Thanks and good luck to you all!

DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT SOLD!

UPDATED BOOK LIST...
The more you buy the more you'll save! I'm looking to make a deal :)

Most books have NO HIGHLIGHTING, 2 or 3 have minimal amounts (price obviously reflects use!)

BIOCHEMISTRY (LIPPINCOTT'S) (ISBN 0781722659) $20 ($40 NEW)

MEDICAL PHYSIOLOGY (RHOADES & TANNER) (ISBN 0781719364) $50 ($100 NEW)

MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY (MURRAY) (ISBN 0323012132) $30 ($65 NEW)

HISTOLOGY: A TEXT AND ATLAS (ROSS) PLUS 2 CD-ROMS (ISBN 0683073699) $25 ($85 NEW)

CLINICALLY INTEGRATED HISTOLOGY (CORMACK) (ISBN 0781712114) $10 ($30 NEW)

BASIC & CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY (KATZUNG) (ISBN 0071410929) $25 ($65 NEW)

FIRST AID FOR THE USMLE STEP 1 (ISBN 0071461159) $10 ($45 NEW)

BOARD REVIEW SERIES PHARMACOLOGY, PATHOLOGY, AND PHYSIOLOGY $5 for all three

BATES’ GUIDE TO PHYSICAL EXAMINATION (PLUS 2 CD-ROMS) (ISBN078175819X) $100 ($140 NEW)

THIEME ATLAS OF ANATOMY (ISBN 1588903877) $40 ($60 NEW)

CLINICALLY ORIENTED ANATOMY – PLUS CD-ROM (MOORE & DAILEY) (ISBN 0781736390) $65 ($100 NEW)

ATLAS OF HUMAN ANATOMY (NETTER) – PLUS CD-ROM (ISBN 1929007116) $40 ($74 NEW)

GRANT’S ANATOMY DISSECTOR *CLEAN* (ISBN 0781774314) $20 ($45 NEW)

COLOR ATLAS OF ANATOMY (ROHEN & YOKOCHI) (ISBN 0781731941) $30 ($80 NEW)

BASIC HUMAN NEUROANATOMY (WATSON) (ISBN 0316924571) $25 ($65 NEW)

ATLAS OF ANATOMY (LIPPINCOTT) (ISBN 9780781785051) $60 ($75 NEW) *I NEVER EVEN OPENED THIS BOOK, IT WAS GIVEN TO ME A COUPLE MONTHS AGO BY THE ANATOMY DEPARTMENT*

HUMAN ANATOMY: COLOR ATLAS AND TEXT (GOSLING) (ISBN 0723426570) $40 ($65 NEW)

EMAIL: [email protected]

I saw that review, I will do a full comment on it later when I feel like actually typing alot (I'm on vacation here :D) What I can comment on though is that the curriculum isn't constantly being changed. We have had a systems based format for 3 years now and they haven't changed it much since implementing the new format (4 years since they first implemented the new format). As for our profs, for the most part I haven't found any of them to be standoffish. I have always been able to get in touch with them when i wanted to and many of our basic science professors are really good. I love our anatomy dept and most of our OMM dept. As for the rest, many of that pertains to the 3rd and 4th year of which i haven seen yet.

One thing you need to realize about NYCOM is that they admit a lot of immature whiners who probably don't belong in med school to begin with. Some of these kids think they are still in college. They will complain about everything from water fountains not working, to the hours the gym is open, to not being allowed to have a school sponsored soccer game betw 1st and 2nd years. They think they are at a luxury resort. If you go to NYCOM motivated to learn medicine, you will do well. I personally loved it there. It was expensive, it was stressful around test times, there were some negatives to the school, but overall I'm glad I attended. Rotations were great. Of course some hospitals are more organized than others. You just need to make it clear to the residents and attendings that you want to learn because as I said, a lot of your classmates will be immature and will be looking for ways to leave early and not do any work. This ruins it for the people who really do want to learn. I found the clinical ed staff to be VERY helpful. They will sit down with you and help you plan or change your schedule IF YOU ARE POLITE. Again, kids walk in there and start cursing and yelling because they got their second choice hospital instead of their first. In fact they bent over backwards and called hospitals for me to try to accomodate me. Financial aid is as helpful as a financial aid dept can be. They are very nice and will tell you what forms to fill out.

Do not listen to the review. If you are truly worried about this stuff, it probably means you are one of the more mature ones and you will do just fine.

Thanks for the comments; I appreciate your insight. I'm glad to hear some positives in contrast to that review.

I'll keep my head up. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to Class of 2013!
Use us 2nd years as easing your way into your 1st year, don't hesitate to ask any questions from how many scrubs you should buy, to how many hours we actually study a night.

Enjoy this summer because school will be here before you know it, and you can do all the worrying then!

xoxo
Raisa

I was reading over the dress code for OMM lab and is the only option for girls a tank top and a pair or shorts? I know it says a backless bathing suit or an inverted shirt, but is it strictly just halter?

i usually don't obey the rules and just wear sweat pants or tights (although they might yell at you for this) and a regular tank top and shorts on days where I know that the lab requires working on the lower limbs
you can wear scrubs to lab and have shorts underneath
any tank top is fine as long as its not a racerback
for practical exams: wear tank top + shorts!

Thanks! Any other advice you have to offer will definitely be appreciated. :)

anybody receive their financial aid award letters yet?

Does anyone know where we are supposed to send the waiver forms for health insurance?

Does anyone know where we are supposed to send the waiver forms for health insurance?

Dominic Gagnon: Office of Student Life Room 214 / NYCOM III
Phone: 516 686-3984
Fax: 516 686-3835

Do the insurance forms have a specific deadline? I had called earlier and they told me that the forms can be handed in at orientation.

Do the insurance forms have a specific deadline? I had called earlier and they told me that the forms can be handed in at orientation.

I believe you have up to two weeks after classes begin.

Thanks! Anyone have any suggestions on how many scrubs we should buy?

Thanks! Anyone have any suggestions on how many scrubs we should buy?

People usually got one or two pairs of scrub top and pants for anatomy lab and two pairs of tops and pants for OMM/DRP labs.

From reading some of the past NYCOM thread I am becoming really nervous for school to start. Second year students-how much did you study every night? Which block of classes is the most difficult/time consuming? Are the tests impossible? Did you ever have some breathing time (I know its med school but short periods) or is it constant stress? Just asking so I know a little more about what to expect before - start. Thanks!

From reading some of the past NYCOM thread I am becoming really nervous for school to start. Second year students-how much did you study every night? Which block of classes is the most difficult/time consuming? Are the tests impossible? Did you ever have some breathing time (I know its med school but short periods) or is it constant stress? Just asking so I know a little more about what to expect before - start. Thanks!

I think you'll get quite different answers to your question based on who answers them. I'll give you my perspective. Some people will say that fundamentals was the hardest, others will say neuro was, while others will say that Heme/Onc was pretty hard. More on the harder classes later. I'll try to answer based on the order of questions you asked.

First, in terms of studying every night, it depends on what you have coming up. If you have a test coming up next week, I would say your week is pretty much all studying. You will of course have free time to eat dinner, relax for a couple hours a day, work out, ect. There was never a time during first year where I felt like I had to study all day. I was always able to take at least 3 hours a day to do something that I liked to do. The weekend before an exam, I studied ALOT but again, I was always able to take a couple hours to relax and do non study things. Usally after exams, you will have a bunch of free time to do what you want. Most people went out to the city the weekend after an exam. Many also took the day off after an exam to just unwind. If you are a streamer like myself, I would be able to sleep in on days when I didn't have to come into OMM/DRP or anatomy lab. I would stream missed lectures at 2x the speed and review old material. I usally was done with all that by around 7 or 8pm and I had the rest of the night free to myself. I will tell you this though, fundamentals and the first block of Neuro is probably the most time consuming systems. That is because during fundamentals, you had a test every 2 weeks or 3 weeks and when you didn't have an exam, you would have a quiz every week. So you really had to study every night during fundamentals. With that being said, the material in fundamentals wasn't hard at all. It was basically a review of stuff we should have learned in collage or for the MCAT with a couple of new things thrown in. Neuro was also time consuming because you had an exam every two weeks. I personally didnt find the material very hard and I had alot of free time during neuro.

In terms of blocks that was the hardest/most time consuming, I don't think any system was that hard. There were time consuming ones such as Fundamentals and Neuro. There were ones where you had a bunch of free time such as Derm and Musculosketal. I personally found Musculosketal hard because of anatomy lab in that system (I really didn't do so hot in anatomy lab). I think I learned the most in the Heme/onc system. As you can see, I dont think any one was impossible. You had to put the work in for all for all of them. There were however, some that just had tests every two weeks which basically made it more time consuming.

None of the tests were impossible. On the contaray, all the tests were deff doable if you at least put in the time to study. OMM is pretty easy as long as you practice before the practicles. Anatomy was also doable, but I had to put in alot of time for those practicles because anatomy wasn't my strong point.

You totally have breathing time. Most of this will be the week after an exam. Most people went out to drink the night after an exam. Took it east for a day or two after the exam and went out and drank or hung out with friends the weekend after an exam. Deff not constant stress.

I hope that helps. Relax...You can totally do this!! It really isnt hard material. You just have to put in the time and you will deff be able to do fine!

If you have any other worries or specific questions about systems, feel free to PM me.

Thank you so much for that lengthy reply. It was very helpful.

One last question. From my understanding (meaning what i've gatehred from past threads on the message boards) the 1st class (fundamentals) is the worst. Is that correct? So should I tell my friends and boyfriend I won't be seeing them at all for teh 1st 6 weeks? Then it gets easier after that right?

I did not find fundamentals all that hard. Most of my friends also did not find it that difficult. You will have time to see your friends and boyfriend during those first 6 weeks. It's not like you will be isolated studying 24/7. As I said before, about 4 days prior to a major exam (not a quiz) most people buckle down and do hardcore studying for the exams. You can fly by the quizes by studying a couple hours the weekend before one of those 3 quizes they give. The problem with fundamentals is that you are in class basically from 8 or 9am until 4 or 5 pm. It's a draining day because you are in class basically all day long. The material is not hard at all. Most of it is review of biochem, Mirco and intro courses in Phara, Path, ect. If you took biochem, mirco or genetics in undergrad, you will have an easier time.

I think whats most challening about fundementlas is finding your groove. You are going to have to find a way to balance eveything. It's challening because you dont know how much time you should spend in lab reviwing, how much time you should spend at home on a given lecture. However, once you find a groove and can accept that getting an 80 on a exam is pretty good, you will find yourself less stressed out. You will have more time to spend with loved ones and be able to do things not school related. It gets easier once you figure out how to make time for everything (which trust me, you will figure out pretty fast).

Thanks for the very informative and encouraging posts, countthestars! Makes me feel much better about starting. :D

At the same time I don't understand why every doctor I've met responds with "say good-bye to your life" or something to that effect when I say I'm going to med school. Was it more difficult to manage time in med school in the past?...

1. Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore and Dalley, 5th edition (used): $40

2. Textbook of Medical Physiology by Guyton, 11th edition (barely used): $80

3. Goodman and Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 11th edition (practically new): $100

4. Grant's Dissector by Patrick Tank, 14th edition (used with all pages intact with no writings but back cover fell out): $10

E-mail [email protected] if interested or just shoot me a PM.

Share house with other NYCOM students. Rent ranges from $510 to $600 plus electric. Everything else is included: heat, hot water, landscaping, housekeeping, cable TV and internet. The house has a Laundry room with Washer/Dryer, 2 full bathrooms, Living room, Basement for storage, Fenced in backyard, Large EIK with microwave, dishwasher, and 2 refrigerators. Parking in the driveway. 15 minute drive from NYCOM campus. The address is 103 Lexington Avenue in Oyster Bay. This is one of the most affordable places you'll find! Call Peter Bianco at 516-728-5355 or email [email protected].

Last edited:
I did not find fundamentals all that hard. Most of my friends also did not find it that difficult. You will have time to see your friends and boyfriend during those first 6 weeks. It's not like you will be isolated studying 24/7. As I said before, about 4 days prior to a major exam (not a quiz) most people buckle down and do hardcore studying for the exams. You can fly by the quizes by studying a couple hours the weekend before one of those 3 quizes they give. The problem with fundamentals is that you are in class basically from 8 or 9am until 4 or 5 pm. It's a draining day because you are in class basically all day long. The material is not hard at all. Most of it is review of biochem, Mirco and intro courses in Phara, Path, ect. If you took biochem, mirco or genetics in undergrad, you will have an easier time.

I think whats most challening about fundementlas is finding your groove. You are going to have to find a way to balance eveything. It's challening because you dont know how much time you should spend in lab reviwing, how much time you should spend at home on a given lecture. However, once you find a groove and can accept that getting an 80 on a exam is pretty good, you will find yourself less stressed out. You will have more time to spend with loved ones and be able to do things not school related. It gets easier once you figure out how to make time for everything (which trust me, you will figure out pretty fast).

:thumbup:

yup. the hardest thing about fundamentals is that you're getting used to going from not being in medical school to being in medical school. it's a BIG jump, end of story.

to the new class, have faith in yourselves. you've been selected because you CAN cut it, and though there is work ahead of you, you would not be here if you were not capable.

take the time in the beginning to find out what works for you: reading, some people take notes on their notes (even notes on those notes), some people use 1,000,000 flash cards, others stay at home and stream while many are serial lecture goers. the important thing is that you find what works FOR YOU, and even potentially look to expand your study habits a little more once you get settled with a study group and friends you can consult if necessary.

p.s. you guys will do fine.

At the same time I don't understand why every doctor I've met responds with "say good-bye to your life" or something to that effect when I say I'm going to med school. Was it more difficult to manage time in med school in the past?...

Well I think the first two years of medical school are just a continuation a college workload (I would say it would be like having about a 21 or 25 credit semester). So the whole say good-bye to your life thing wont really apply during your first 2 years since you will have free time after exams to do things you like. You will have less control of your life once you start 3rd year. When you have to go to the hospital basically everyday. If you are in your surgery or IM or OB/GYN rotations you might find yourself waking up at 4 or 5 am to do morning rounds. Not coming home until late at night and then on top of all that being on call every 4th night makes it hard to really have a life then. I hear it gets easier during your 4th year but right after that, as soon as you start residency and internship, your life is basically in the hands of the hosptial...that is unless you go into FM or Psych or some other field that has a less rigrious call schedual.

did anyone else's financial aid letter get held up because you chose discover as a lender? I called the financial office and they said its going to be a few more weeks. something doesn't seem right, its already july!

same here, I chose discover as my lender and I know I was approved but I haven't received any kind of award letter either. Getting a bit antsy waiting... hopefully we will hear within the next few weeks.

Don't read any medical textbooks That's for sure! No need to read that Bate's book on physical diagnosis (thats what they rec you read before school starts).

I would say if you want to read anything about medicine, Then I would rec reading

1. House of God by Samuel Shem
2. Complications by Atul Gawande
3. Better by Atul Gawande
4. Intern by Sandeep Jauhar
5. Stiff by Mary Roach

As I have said before, in terms of books you should get before school starts get:
1. Grant's dissector by Tank.
2. An anatomy atlas (I loved Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body by Johannes W Rohen, Chihiro Yokochi. Some people though, choose to get a free copy of Netters atlas when they signed up for SOMA (an $60 or $80 registration fee).
3. First Aid for USMLE STEP I.
4. Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, Seventh Edition by Vinay Kumar, Nelso Fausto, and Abul Abbas.

Some good books and advice, except, I would substitute Robbins path for Guyton or Boron or Costanzo. IMO, you need to learn physiology before pathology.

Some good books and advice, except, I would substitute Robbins path for Guyton or Boron or Costanzo. IMO, you need to learn physiology before pathology.

Thanks, are you a DPC student? Because in the lecture based, we hardly learned physio first year. I know thats coming up for us in 2nd year bc we will be doing cardio/resp, renal, endocrine and GI (which is basically all of Costanzo). In all we had about 3 or 4 chapters to read off Guyton (which i actually do like reading) but I think as a first year in the lecture based track, there isnt much emphsis on physiology. Dr. Elkowitz and Dr. Plummer give more path lectures anyways. Can't wait till we start Resp and get Dr Stepp teaching us phys haha. I'll be using Guyton and Costanzo for sure!

did anyone else's financial aid letter get held up because you chose discover as a lender? I called the financial office and they said its going to be a few more weeks. something doesn't seem right, its already july!

same here, I chose discover as my lender and I know I was approved but I haven't received any kind of award letter either. Getting a bit antsy waiting... hopefully we will hear within the next few weeks.

That's a bit strange to me. I chose Discover as a lender too, but I received my finished financial aid letter a month ago without a long wait. Maybe you should contact NYCOM?

Does anyone know approximately how much refund we get if we request up to the cost of attendance for the loan?

Does anyone know approximately how much refund we get if we request up to the cost of attendance for the loan?

I posted this in the Facebook group's Google Docs account, but I'll post it here, too. It's the budget for our class for the 2009-10 year.

The amount you get refunded (loan money less school costs) is under "Living expenses"; if you requested the maximum, it'll be the number without parents.

Attachments

• 2009 2010 CLASS OF 2013 BUDGET.XLS
    19 KB · Views: 344
2 rooms available in 3 room apartment. $666.66 / mo, per person. Other room occupied by 3rd year NYCOM student. Westbury, NY, about 15 minutes from NYCOM, 1 minute from NUMC, 1 minute from major highways, 3 minutes from malls & old country road. Directly connected to large field, softball field, basketball court. Utilities (heat, water, electric) included, cable internet/HDTV extra. Air conditioning an extra $66.66/mo. 1 bathroom, large full kitchen, 2 large extra rooms (one for TV, one for storage). Free washer and dryer in appt. Email [email protected].

In the review above it's mentioned that there is no more online streaming of lectures...is this true?

In the review above it's mentioned that there is no more online streaming of lectures...is this true?

The way that it worked this past year (for 2011 at least) was that a certain percentage of the class had to be present each day for lectures to remain streamed. When attendance would start to drop off, they'd pull the streams for a few days until people started coming back to class. It only happened a few times and wasn't a huge issue.

Anybody have any insight as to how it will work for the class of 2013? Because in the review it said that they pulled live streaming altogether.

Anybody have any insight as to how it will work for the class of 2013? Because in the review it said that they pulled live streaming altogether.

That reviewer is clearly mistaken. NYCOM has never pulled streaming altogether. Also streaming is NOT live. The media department records the lecture and then posts it online later that day or sometime the next day. As Vee said, for the class of 2011, they took off streaming for a couple of days because attendance was pretty dismal. Once the streamers realized they had to come to class, more people came and after a couple of days, streaming was back on.

As for the class of 2013, the policy will be the same, Streaming will be based on the attendence of the class during lectures. The class of 2012 is pretty good about lecture attendance and we have never had streaming taken away yet (knock on wood). If your class also has many people that will go to every lecture no matter what, then you wont have to worry about streaming being taken away.

Thank you very much for the detailed response, and that's a relief.

I was just recently accepted off the waitlist and have been able to just complete my fafsa and tap (unfortunately), send in all my transcripts and deposit, but don't know what else I need to do since I haven't received any further communications from nycom. Could someone please either post or pm me (please pm if possible) what it is that I should be doing next? Right now I'm just trying to figure out the housing situation, but am a little worried about what it is I need to do. any help would really be appreciated. thanks...