NYCOM c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what would happen if your cognitive score was 92 in a class but you failed the OMM final? I am really scared I failed the OMM practical because while I did what I was supposed to do (flexed, sidebent, and rotated the right way 3x for 3-5 seconds relaxed 3-5 seconds, and a passive stretch then re-assesed), my examiner said I made a few mistakes, for example, I flexed the head up way too much and counted my 3-5 seconds way too fast. Anyway, would I have to remediate the entire course and take the lecture part again even though I passed it with flying colors during the summer? Any help or advice or knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you.

Did your scores from OMM practical exam come back? Is that how you know that you failed? if not, then I don't think you should worry about this. If you are doing well in the cognitive portion, then you are a good student, keep it up. Sometimes after a bad OMM practical exam day, it is easy to feel like you have failed, I used to worry like that too, and later I would find out that I didn't do so bad as I have thought I did. So don't worry about it , I am sure you did fine, have a good break!.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what would happen if your cognitive score was 92 in a class but you failed the OMM final? I am really scared I failed the OMM practical because while I did what I was supposed to do (flexed, sidebent, and rotated the right way 3x for 3-5 seconds relaxed 3-5 seconds, and a passive stretch then re-assesed), my examiner said I made a few mistakes, for example, I flexed the head up way too much and counted my 3-5 seconds way too fast. Anyway, would I have to remediate the entire course and take the lecture part again even though I passed it with flying colors during the summer? Any help or advice or knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you.

wow...RELAX!! You are NOT going to fail an OMM prac because you hyper-flexed and counted too fast. I would say they would take off maybe 2-4 points for the couting and another 2-4 more for the hyperfexion if that. DONT WORRY and have a good break. I've made PLENTYYYYY more mistakes on OMM pracs and have still gotten scores of high 80s, low 90s. so once again RELAX.

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight into how much you need to travel for your clinical rotations. The NYCOM website says that students can either do their rotations at one center, or at a variety of centers in the NYC area. If you go the second route (multiple centers) are they grouped closely enough for you to have a "home base" or are they so far away that yo need to rent a new place for each rotation? I understand experiences may vary from person to person. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuro is coming upon us first-years, and looking over the schedule, it doesn't seem THAT horrible. I'm hoping if any second-year could chime in and give some details on the neuroscience lab. What exactly do you do there? Is it mandatory? Do you have to stay the full two hours?

The reason I ask is because I heard that they post all of the stuff you need to know from the lab (pictures) on Noodle and you can just study those for the exams rather than spending time in the lab. Any insight would be appreciated. :)

Dr. Hallas posts a video review of all the impt structures that are needed for the exam. I reviewed that a bunch of times and got every neuroanatomy pic question right on the exam. If you feel like you learn better by looking at the brain and having it in your hands, then going into lab will be helpful. At least spend some time in there looking at all the specimines. Most people did not stay for the full alloted lab time. Most signed in, looked at what they wanted and then left. You will see what your style is when you go into the lab when you get back. There are fellows around and if you have any questions, they are there to help you out. I think that was most the most useful part of physically being in lab. They helped me visual some things that I was having trouble with.

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight into how much you need to travel for your clinical rotations. The NYCOM website says that students can either do their rotations at one center, or at a variety of centers in the NYC area. If you go the second route (multiple centers) are they grouped closely enough for you to have a "home base" or are they so far away that yo need to rent a new place for each rotation? I understand experiences may vary from person to person. Thanks.

Most of the rotations are around long island, queens, brooklyn or the bronx. There are a couple in Jersey, about 4 in upstate NY and 1 or so in PA. Most people don't have to move around during 3rd year as most hosps are no more than 25 miles from NYCOM's campus. Some choose to do all their rotations in brooklyn and/or queens and decide to live in manhattan/brooklyn/queens during their 3rd year. If by the off chance you got assigned to a place in upstate NY or PA, most of the places offer housing to students. Usually it's not an issue.

Hi all! I was accepted to NYCOM, and want to revisit the school and maybe sit in on a couple of classes. I called the admissions office, and they said they don't really let people do that, but I was thinking, with such a huge class and mandatory attendance, would professors really notice if I sat in on classes? I was hoping to visit either this Friday or next Monday (the 8th or the 11th), and was wondering if anyone could tell me if I would be able to visit some classes unnoticed on either of those days? PM me if you'd rather not post online. Thanks so much! I'm having the hardest time deciding between schools!!

Hi all! I was accepted to NYCOM, and want to revisit the school and maybe sit in on a couple of classes. I called the admissions office, and they said they don't really let people do that, but I was thinking, with such a huge class and mandatory attendance, would professors really notice if I sat in on classes? I was hoping to visit either this Friday or next Monday (the 8th or the 11th), and was wondering if anyone could tell me if I would be able to visit some classes unnoticed on either of those days? PM me if you'd rather not post online. Thanks so much! I'm having the hardest time deciding between schools!!
friday we have class from 1-5 and monday from 1-4. no one will care if you're there, ive seen people bring their significant others to class just for kicks. Just sit in the back and dont be disruptive and you should be fine. However, some professors like to pick on random students, so that could be you.

I was wondering if anyone can confirm this or give me some insight. I was accepted to NYCOM and called the financial aid office today to see if I can afford it ( I am poor lol). Anyway she told me there is no way loans through the school would cover going to school here and I would have to look at private loans. I think she said the max through stafford loans is 42000, that doesn't even cover tuition! If this is true how did you guys work around this?

Yea I also want to do the same thing. I called and asked if it was okay to walk around the campus and they said sure. I'll prob be going next wed. 1/13.

I was wondering if anyone can confirm this or give me some insight. I was accepted to NYCOM and called the financial aid office today to see if I can afford it ( I am poor lol). Anyway she told me there is no way loans through the school would cover going to school here and I would have to look at private loans. I think she said the max through stafford loans is 42000, that doesn't even cover tuition! If this is true how did you guys work around this?

Grad PLUS loans. There's no need for private loans whatsoever.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PlusLoansGradProfstudents.jsp

Room available (Feb 2010) in Glen Cove, 7 min drive from NYCOM
All girls house, all NYCOM students very friendly, clean and respectful, beautiful newly renovated house, huge backyard, laundry, dishwasher, everything you need to live and study comfortably!
Msg me for more details if interested
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hay NYCOM'ers. I am not in the class of 2013, but I was just accepted into the class of 2014 (classes starting this fall). I'm posting here to find out where I can get a book-list for all the classes? My plan for the next few months is to get all the books and study through them as much as possible to give myself the best chance of doing well during the semester. So if someone could point me in the right direction regarding getting a book list, and which books are useful vs not-useful, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to seeing some of you on campus :)

Hay NYCOM'ers. I am not in the class of 2013, but I was just accepted into the class of 2014 (classes starting this fall). I'm posting here to find out where I can get a book-list for all the classes? My plan for the next few months is to get all the books and study through them as much as possible to give myself the best chance of doing well during the semester. So if someone could point me in the right direction regarding getting a book list, and which books are useful vs not-useful, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to seeing some of you on campus :)

Seriously, just enjoy your last few months of freedom. The small amount of material that you will absorb will just not be worth it. Once you start school and see the pace/volume of material, you will see what I mean. Also, don't buy all of the books on the list. You'll spend a couple thousand dollars on books that you'll never use. Wait until you start at NYCOM - during the first week you'll be paired up with a second year and he/she will tell you which books are actually worth buying.

Seriously, just enjoy your last few months of freedom. The small amount of material that you will absorb will just not be worth it. Once you start school and see the pace/volume of material, you will see what I mean. Also, don't buy all of the books on the list. You'll spend a couple thousand dollars on books that you'll never use. Wait until you start at NYCOM - during the first week you'll be paired up with a second year and he/she will tell you which books are actually worth buying.

Thanks for the reply. Believe me, I want nothing more than to enjoy my last few months of freedom. However, studying in advance is much more important in my opinion. I have no doubt that having the books now would benefit me in the long run. So can anyone help me out here?

Thanks for the reply. Believe me, I want nothing more than to enjoy my last few months of freedom. However, studying in advance is much more important in my opinion. I have no doubt that having the books now would benefit me in the long run. So can anyone help me out here?

I've gotta agree with Vee; this is not a good idea at all. It may seem like you're getting a headstart on your medical education, but there really is no such thing. The best thing you can do right now is relax, get excited for school, and enjoy your time before classes begin; you want to begin with a fresh mind.

If you truly need something to look at, then I would just suggest looking at an anatomy atlas (like Rohen's, which has actual pictures of cadavers) just to get yourself accustomed to cadavers and become familiar with some basic terminology.

Also, you will realize once you're here that you will not have the time nor the will to look through all the books they'll have on their book list. Take it as simple suggestions; they're not "required". There are a few key books you'll want to get along the way (like Clinically Oriented Anatomy and Robbins' Path) but even those are not too important to do well on the exams. Of course, if you're someone who's in love with textbooks, that may be a different story for you.

Thanks again for the replies, Vee & SemiColon. Although what you're saying makes sense, I'd still like to get a 1st year book-list. If someone is willing to email me their 1st year 1st semester book-list, with an outline of which books are the most essential, I'd seriously appreciate that. If there's anything I can do for you in return just let me know! Thanks in advance.

Thanks again for the replies, Vee & SemiColon. Although what you're saying makes sense, I'd still like to get a 1st year book-list. If someone is willing to email me their 1st year 1st semester book-list, with an outline of which books are the most essential, I'd seriously appreciate that. If there's anything I can do for you in return just let me know! Thanks in advance.
i saw your fliers around nycom haha, please dont go crazy reading everything you get your hands on, it will not prepare you. only thing i'd suggest is netters flash cards for anatomy, and if you know all of them, your first 4 months of anatomy will be a breeze.

peterish,

I definitely agree with the other guys about not reading anything too crazy. I would do the following: read "house of god" by samuel shem. when you finish that, start reading, "case records of massachusetts general," which is a weekly section of the new england journal of medicine. That really helped me to get accustomed to the language of medicine. Finally, if you really want to read a medical textbook, go get a copy of "medical physiology" by guyton and hall. its easily the best phys book out there, i'm sure you'll use it during school, and its actually really well written. Most importantly though, have as much fun as you possibly can, and try to do absolutely nothing as often as you can, and hang out with your friends, because once school starts, you won't have any sort of life for a very long time. good luck

-d

Hello future 2nd years,

Congratulations on getting through 1st year! 2nd year will be much more clinically relevant (and if I may say so, easier!)

Take a look at my booklist and see what may be helpful to you!
By now, you should have realised that you do not necessarily have to do all the suggested reading but that you do need certain key books!

If you need any advice or suggestions, please do not hesitate to ask!
And we will definitely be willing to meet you in person for the exchange!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9553324

good luck, and congratulations again! :)

Hey guys, I'm posting this for my landlord:

Clean, well kept 1 bedroom, 1 bath garden/basement apartment of a private house in Little Neck, NY (Marathon Pkwy. and Northern Blvd.) available in June, ALL UTILITIES INCLUDED in rent price of $1150/mo (except cable/internet). Great location for rotations, easy access to highways and is about 5-10 minutes from LIJ and North Shore Manhasset. About 20 minutes from NYCOM. 1 block away from Stop and Shop and many great restaurants, stores, post office, etc. Nice and quiet neighborhood. 1st month's rent + 1 month security deposit.

FEATURES:
-Private side entrance
-Open kitchen with lots of cabinet space
-Spacious bedroom with 2 large double door custom made closets
-Has 3 18x30" windows, 2 large 28x36" windows
-Tile floors throughout
-Landlords are very nice, older couple + son live upstairs in the house. They are very quiet and the husband is very handy (can fix anything immediately if necessary).

For further information please PM me and I can answer questions and give contact info. Thanks!

I have all the required books for first and second years. Please PM me if interested.

I am a 3rd year at LECOM and will be doing a rotation at St. Johns in July. My housing fell through and was hoping someone on here knew of someone who needed to sublet their place for a month. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you, Jeremy

Hey guys,
I know that NYCOM posts their lectures online on noodle but I guess that logon info for noodle isn't available for the class of 2014 till orientation. I had wanted to see what one of the lectures are like and how much info they contain, ect..
Is there another source where a NYCOM lecture has been posted so I would be able to watch one.
thanks for any information

Hey guys,

I know you probably don't want to think about boards yet, but its a reality for you soon. I am moving to Brooklyn and need to shed some books. I signed up for the Kaplan course brought in for NYCOM but never went (couldn't stand the thought of sitting in the lecture hall for 8 hours a day)

SO i have the 2009 Edition of the COMLEX Level 1 lecture books. I have never used them, they just laid on my floor. If you want them, $250 will get it done. For more information just PM me and i'll respond.

Oh, I am planning to take the USMLE in December, so my PreTest, BRS books and flashcards, Under Cover Case file books will also be available for purchase.

Thanks!

bio

‎1 room available in Glen Cove on Forest Ave.: 3 bedroom apartment, with full kitchen, and common area. Located in a building above a doctors office, in safe quiet neighborhood. 10 min. from school. $550/month, and we spit electric and internet, which does not come out to be much. 4th year medical student will be living in one of the ...rooms next year. If you are interested or want to find out more about the place contact Nancy at: 516-446-3894.

Hello,
I applied to NYCOM through the Emigre Physician Program stream for admission this Fall 2011 and would like to get some tips and feedback on the entrance exam that must be taken, from current 2nd years students that got in through the EPP ?

The Study Guide (link below) is not very specific in terms of the actual Breakdown of the exam (ie. Number of questions from each one of the 3 sections indicated) and what does it actual mean by Part C: Clinical Cases? (Are these Clinical Cases at the USMLE Step 1 Level or USMLE Step 2 Level?)

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Emigre_Ph...nt_Summary.pdf

Thanks in advance