NYCOM class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinysabra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone planning on making to commute in out of Brooklyn?
Anybody looking for housing in Brooklyn or closer to campus?

I am just wondering what others here are planning.

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Brooklyn, but I definitly won't be commuting, I'm looking for an apartment closer to campus. I went to undergrad about 10 minutes south of NYCOM, and I commuted my first semester, it was horrible. I was always tired, couldn't study on the train because I got naseous. Then, I moved on campus, and when I got my liscense, if I would drive home for the weekend, I would get so tired of driving in traffic, I just couldn't handle it. Some people don't mind it, but I'm not one of those people. I need a short commute or else I'm tired, cranky, and I can't study when I get home because I'm tired.

Although I'm sure there are a few people who will be commuting from Brooklyn, on my interview day, one of our ambassadors commutes from Staten Island.

You should join us on the official class of 2011 thread over on osteopathic class thread.

I live in Brooklyn and plan getting a car and commuting. I currently live with my bf and we have a good deal on rent...looking at the cost of living around the school it seems best to stay here for now. Plus I love being in the city and all of my friends live in the city.

Members don't see this ad :)
My cousin commuted from brooklyn everyday, he said its a one hour commute and he had plenty of time to study. This was done solely to save money on rent. I recommend you try a mock commute from your home to nycom and see how long it takes and how you feel. If you are tired from the travel, then it will be best to rent a place near the school.

I own my own car and the commute to NYCOM takes me 40 minutes, which is the same commute time I made as an undergrad on the subway. I am just speculating that since this time I will be driving, I will eventually get exhausted and break down :scared:

I have no idea what the class schedule in medical school is like. Is the schedule fixed, or we can pack classes into a few days so that we can reduce the commute?

I own my own car and the commute to NYCOM takes me 40 minutes, which is the same commute time I made as an undergrad on the subway. I am just speculating that since this time I will be driving, I will eventually get exhausted and break down :scared:

I have no idea what the class schedule in medical school is like. Is the schedule fixed, or we can pack classes into a few days so that we can reduce the commute?

Most med schools are fixed with all MS1s and MS2s taking classes together. Most. At least in the systems/normal model. PBL is obviously the exception.

All of you people who plan on commuting from Brooklyn, more power to you. For me, I can't do it. I get tired from driving, and I hate driving, especially in traffic. Also, I would never get any studying done at home, and I would normally need a little break before I study after class. I thought about commuting for all of 5 minutes, honestly. Then I said that it's just not for me, I would get too tired from the drive, and I cannot stand driving. And the train would just take too long because it would take me at least half an hour to first get to the LIRR, and then however long the LIRR ride is.

Here is a link to the official NYCOM class of 2011 thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=341213

I commute from queens and it is not so bad. In the last few weeks I have decided to only go to class when we have OMM lab, Anatomy lab, or DPR. I am getting a lot more reading done this way. Attendance is required for those class sessions and of course you have exams and ICC.

DPR=learning how to do physicial exams. related to system.
ICC= pateint encounter simulations based on what is learned in OMM and DPR. done about once each system.

The schedule for 1st year so far has been:
Monday OMM lab 8am-10am(A1) or 10am-noon(A2) and 9am-noon Anatomy lab (B1 and B2)

Tuesday lectures from 8am-5pm. 1 hour break at noon. sometimes starts at 9am.occassionally ends at 2pm or 3pm.

Wednesday OMM lab 8am-10am(B1) or 10am-noon(B2) and 9am-noon Anatomy lab (A1 and A2)

Thursday
same as Tuesday

Friday 8am-noon. sometimes start at 9am

this is the general schedule. DPR is usually 9am-noon on one Tuesday or Thursday approxiamately every 3 weeks.

class is split up into 4 equal groups: A1, B1, A2, B2. Includes all students: DPC(case based learning), lecture, and emigre.

Exams are every 4-7 weeks. and you usually get 1 review day followed by 2 study days without classes before each exam.

I've met people commuting from Brooklyn, Queens, and Whitestone. Try to get to class early on days with attendance in case there is traffic since you will have to retake the class in the summer if you miss it or are more than 10-15 minutes late.

I'm unsure of how often the DPC students meet.

:luck:

Here is a link to the official NYCOM class of 2011 thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=341213

I commute from queens and it is not so bad. In the last few weeks I have decided to only go to class when we have OMM lab, Anatomy lab, or DPR. I am getting a lot more reading done this way. Attendance is required for those class sessions and of course you have exams and ICC.

DPR=learning how to do physicial exams. related to system.
ICC= pateint encounter simulations based on what is learned in OMM and DPR. done about once each system.

The schedule for 1st year so far has been:
Monday OMM lab 8am-10am(A1) or 10am-noon(A2) and 9am-noon Anatomy lab (B1 and B2)

Tuesday lectures from 8am-5pm. 1 hour break at noon. sometimes starts at 9am.occassionally ends at 2pm or 3pm.

Wednesday OMM lab 8am-10am(B1) or 10am-noon(B2) and 9am-noon Anatomy lab (A1 and A2)

Thursday
same as Tuesday

Friday 8am-noon. sometimes start at 9am

this is the general schedule. DPR is usually 9am-noon on one Tuesday or Thursday approxiamately every 3 weeks.

class is split up into 4 equal groups: A1, B1, A2, B2. Includes all students: DPC(case based learning), lecture, and emigre.

Exams are every 4-7 weeks. and you usually get 1 review day followed by 2 study days without classes before each exam.

I've met people commuting from Brooklyn, Queens, and Whitestone. Try to get to class early on days with attendance in case there is traffic since you will have to retake the class in the summer if you miss it or are more than 10-15 minutes late.

I'm unsure of how often the DPC students meet.
[/B]
:luck:
DPC students go to the same OMM and anatomy labs as us. They meet three times a week M, W, F afternoons 3-5pm. They do not participate in our ICC or DPR sessions.

Thanks for the info guys.

Maybe I can then carpool with someone from Brooklyn. I hope they will soon provide me with access to NYCOM's webboard. I want to get it over with on how I am going to do this.

What about scholarships? Does NYCOM offer any? And what was the most ever given out?And , of course, how about some finanical aid from the government? How much broke do you have to be for them to even give you a cent?

If anybody on here can post how they are financing their own education at NYCOM, I will greatly appreciate it.

Maybe I can then carpool with someone from Brooklyn. I hope they will soon provide me with access to NYCOM's webboard. I want to get it over with on how I am going to do this.

What about scholarships? Does NYCOM offer any? And what was the most ever given out?And , of course, how about some finanical aid from the government? How much broke do you have to be for them to even give you a cent?

If anybody on here can post how they are financing their own education at NYCOM, I will greatly appreciate it.