NYCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys! soooooo pumped and cannot wait to go to NYCOM in August with the rest of you! pewee17, i know what you mean, i got the acceptance earlier this week and my parents are totally freaking out about housing (the freaking out runs in the fam haha)

i'm not from the area (upstate NY) but whats the average number of students rooming together- do more people opt for getting a house with 4 or 5 people or do they choose to live alone or with just one roommate? Sorry, i'm a little anxious because I ended up living at home during undergrad to save moolah.

i heard that last year's class received an iphone... do we get some sort of budgeted amount to purchase a laptop? I know that other medical schools do this but I wasn't sure about NYCOM.

and is there a bus system that students can use? i know this might seem like a ridiculous question but the less i have to use my car the better...

anyways thanks for any info and can't wait to meet you guys! :)
I'm from upstate also.

There is a meet an greet event in July that some people on facebook have created. I don't know yet if I will be heading down for that.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually people live with 2 other students (so 3 total), rent will cost about $650 a person on average that way. Look for housing in the glen cove,ny area, the only houses next to the campus are mansions. Every student previously got an ipod, and I think you guys might be getting an ipad, and you are responsible for your own laptop.

There is a bus on the main roads but not from Glen Cove so you will probably need to drive.

Why does the school give out Ipods? I am confused by this.

me, too! LOL what's the point? just take $300 off our tuition (or $500 if we are indeed getting the ipad) and we can decide if we want an ipod touch or not! hah

Members don't see this ad :)

It is supposed to be for when you are on clinical rotations, you basically need a PDA whether its to look something up, do an electronic submission/case report etc... it is also supposed to be for clinical reference, IE uploaded with medical apps, pharmacology apps, etc, to help you with your clinical years. It actually does help a lot, when you need a quick reference so you do not get embarrassed by your pimping attending LOL...

If you decide you want something else etc, just sell the ipod/pad and there is your money back

It is supposed to be for when you are on clinical rotations, you basically need a PDA whether its to look something up, do an electronic submission/case report etc... it is also supposed to be for clinical reference, IE uploaded with medical apps, pharmacology apps, etc, to help you with your clinical years. It actually does help a lot, when you need a quick reference so you do not get embarrassed by your pimping attending LOL...

If you decide you want something else etc, just sell the ipod/pad and there is your money back

Fair enough. When do you get it, the end of your second year?
:xf: ipad 2:xf:

good to know! i was gonna buy an ipad, but now ill just prob wait:)

oh and whoever asked about the vaccines- its MMR (measles mumps and rubella) and meningitis (which you can refuse if you'd like, you just have to sign something)

Hey guys! Im officially going to NYCOM this fall and am very excited!!!!. Im from Queens, NY and will be commuting to school everyday. It'll be tough but at least I'll be saving money. I have no plans for the summer as of yet but am willing to get idea from you guys!! =) Can't wait to see everyone!

Hi everyone! I've been accepted too and am very excited. I can't wait to meet everyone.

They don't. They gave us itouches which are completely useless unless you don't have a smartphone. They want you to keep track of your patient logs on them during your clinical rotations while your in the hospital, which none of us ever did. Basically they're good for facebook and espn.com while your at work, unless the hospital your at doesnt have wifi, which is a fair number of them. Then they're just another piece of plastic weighing down your labcoat.

i'm not from the area (upstate NY) but whats the average number of students rooming together- do more people opt for getting a house with 4 or 5 people or do they choose to live alone or with just one roommate? Sorry, i'm a little anxious because I ended up living at home during undergrad to save moolah.

and is there a bus system that students can use? i know this might seem like a ridiculous question but the less i have to use my car the better...

I am from upstate. My advice is to get a place with 2-3 friends as close as you can get to the school. Glen Cove is where you want to be. It is more expensive but its 8 minutes away. If you try and save money by being farther away you will regret it when you get out of class at 5pm and it takes you 2 hours to drive 25 miles due to LI traffic.

I am from upstate. My advice is to get a place with 2-3 friends as close as you can get to the school. Glen Cove is where you want to be. It is more expensive but its 8 minutes away. If you try and save money by being farther away you will regret it when you get out of class at 5pm and it takes you 2 hours to drive 25 miles due to LI traffic.

:laugh: at the traffic comment... yeah, I can only imagine.

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! So I made a list of questions I thought could help us accepted students. Could any current students chime in and answer them? Thanks you. :)

1) When (or how soon?) do first year students start seeing real patients? Is the first time a student sees a real patient in third year? Or are there opportunities (besides people in DPC) for lecture-based students to interact with real patients prior to 3rd year?

2) Is there a microbiology lab, histology lab, etc? Or are the only labs Anatomy and OMM? (Is it bad that there is no microbio lab, if there isn't one?)

3) Is anatomy lab/other buildings 24/7 access? If not, could this be requested if students want to study into the night?

4) Does everyone get a chance to dissect in anatomy lab? I heard something about Group A and Group B... if a student really wants to dissect, could they switch into an earlier group?

5) What's with all the video cameras? Do you guys find that your privacy is intruded?

6) Are there fun events for students to de-stress throughout the year? Like fun cultural events? Where on campus are these usually held?

7) What other resources/buildings do you guys use on the NYIT campus?

8) What best advice would you have for the first years? Which books are a must? Which books aren't necessary?

9) Are there physicians from hospitals in the city that come to give lectures, presentations?

10) Thanks for your time in answering these questions.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! So I made a list of questions I thought could help us accepted students. Could any current students chime in and answer them? Thanks you. :)

1) When (or how soon?) do first year students start seeing real patients? Is the first time a student sees a real patient in third year? Or are there opportunities (besides people in DPC) for lecture-based students to interact with real patients prior to 3rd year?

2) Is there a microbiology lab, histology lab, etc? Or are the only labs Anatomy and OMM? (Is it bad that there is no microbio lab, if there isn't one?)

3) Is anatomy lab/other buildings 24/7 access? If not, could this be requested if students want to study into the night?

4) Does everyone get a chance to dissect in anatomy lab? I heard something about Group A and Group B... if a student really wants to dissect, could they switch into an earlier group?

5) What's with all the video cameras? Do you guys find that your privacy is intruded?

6) Are there fun events for students to de-stress throughout the year? Like fun cultural events? Where on campus are these usually held?

7) What other resources/buildings do you guys use on the NYIT campus?

8) What best advice would you have for the first years? Which books are a must? Which books aren't necessary?

9) Are there physicians from hospitals in the city that come to give lectures, presentations?

10) I can't wait to start med school!

2) Anatomy, OMM, and Doctor-patient relations are the only labs. I think that's pretty standard for any school with a systems-based curriculum. Micro & histo labs are kind of obsolete now - it's pretty much unheard of for doctors to do their own gram stains or make/view their own slides, etc. Unless you're going to be a pathologist, you don't really need a histo lab.

3) The silent study/anatomy labs etc are open from 6 am - 2 am. And no, you can't request later. You shouldn't anyway. Get some sleep.

4) Everyone dissects. Group A & B are never together - we're divided in half so that there are less people in lab at one time (i.e: they do every anatomy lab twice - once for group A & once for group B). Every student gets a designation: A1, A2, B1, or B2. In anatomy, there are 8 students per table, with, for example, 4 A1s & 4 A2s, and you guys basically alternate being "primary dissectors" and coming in early. You can come in early when it's not your day to watch, etc, but it's pretty poor etiquette to come early and take over the dissection without asking or being asked.

5) No, I don't. I feel safer and more secure leaving my stuff in the lecture hall or other study areas b/c I know no one will take anything, etc.

6) Yes! There are a ton of activities/events, especially Osteoblast & Osteoclast, which are 2 parties that the SGA plans. They're held at different bars in the area & it's an excuse to get wasted & dance with your classmates. :laugh:

7) You can use whatever you want. I personally don't have a reason to leave NYCOM, but a lot of people use NYIT's library & gym.

8) Don't buy the medical equipment from the representatives at school. Buy a couple of pairs of scrubs cheap before you get here. Don't buy any textbooks until you start school, except for Grant's Dissector, Gray's Anatomy for Students, and an anatomy atlas (Netter's or Rohen-Yikochi, imho). Most of the first years have all/a huge majority of the books in pdf format for free, so don't buy anything on that ridiculous list other than the 3 I told you.

9) A TON of our actual class lectures are given by clinicians at NYCOM's various affiliates & other places. For example, our Parkinson's lecture during Neuro is given by Enrico Fazzini, who's a world-renown researcher in the field & head of neurology at NYU, I believe. Other than that, there are almost always lunchtime talks given sponsored by various clubs/organizations each week.

Thanks a lot, Christina.

How does NYIT's library compare with NYCOM's? Is it more spacious? Thanks again.

You've been providing great insight, christina, thank you for all of this. I'm going to start looking up the books you mentioned through amazon & half.com, but I was wondering if there's any distinction made with getting brand new editions or anything for them? And which is better- Netter's or Rohan?

8) Don't buy the medical equipment from the representatives at school. Buy a couple of pairs of scrubs cheap before you get here. Don't buy any textbooks until you start school, except for Grant's Dissector, Gray's Anatomy for Students, and an anatomy atlas (Netter's or Rohen-Yikochi, imho). Most of the first years have all/a huge majority of the books in pdf format for free, so don't buy anything on that ridiculous list other than the 3 I told you.

Last edited:
hey everyone I'm from Westchester NY and I study at Syracuse University-just sent out my deposit today for NYCOM can't wait

You've been providing great insight, christina, thank you for all of this. I'm going to start looking up the books you mentioned through amazon & half.com, but I was wondering if there's any distinction made with getting brand new editions or anything for them? And which is better- Netter's or Rohan?

2)

I don't think it's a big difference @ different/newer editions - the human body certainly hasn't changed last time I checked :laugh:

Netter's vs. Rohen or any other atlas is a very "personal" choice (sounds weird, I know). I personally have both because they're very different - Netter's contains cartoon-like drawings that are pretty much amazing imho, while Rohen contains photographs of actual cadaver dissections that are helpful for obvious reasons. I like to use both as supplemental materials, but it all depends on you. Some people hate Netter's and some hate Rohen. Some hate both and only use the Thieme atlas (which sucks imho). If you have an idea of what would be most helpful to you, then choose now. If you can find them super cheap, buy both.

To calvinhobbes, the NYIT library is way bigger and a lot of people like to study there when NYIT kids don't have classes (like in August, when they haven't started yet, etc.) I personally don't use either library or the silent study area because I hate silence and being alone. I'm a rowdy lecture hall studier :D.

Thanks Christina! :)

Any answer for question number 1?

Also, is it true (if you happen to know/heard) that our class will be the first to start taking exams on the computer and not via scantron?

Thanks again for all your advice!

Thanks Christina! :)

Any answer for question number 1?

Also, is it true (if you happen to know/heard) that our class will be the first to start taking exams on the computer and not via scantron?

Thanks again for all your advice!

Question 1) You will see standardized patients to take histories and physicals on in your first year, about once a month, Second year, a lot more often than that. Also starting 2nd year you will be part of a trauma team tending to one of our STAN robots (about once per month). DPC starts in offices during first year. In the summer between 1st and 2nd year you can work in the clinic helping the doctors with patients, or you can go on a medical mission trip to Ghana, or Costa Rica.

I have heard of these exams, actually they are having 2nd and maybe 1st years voluntarily sit in on a short exam to see if it works. The goal is to have computer based exams for next year, (whether it will be ready or not is another story) the boards are all computer based, so it seems wise to prepare that way. Another plus is instant grades..

Hey everyone, congratulations on getting accepted to NYCOM!! I am a soon-to-be second year. If anyone is looking for a room, I have a room available in an awesome 5 bedroom house (only 3 are rented out, so we have 2 guest bedrooms). It is fully furnished, and right on the beach in Bayville (about 15 min from school). The rent is $650 a month, plus utilities. The owners are awesome, and very easy going.

We study hard, but love to throw the occasional house party (there are a few breaks during the year...) We are looking for a laid back, clean roommate.

Send me an email if you are interested, my email address is [email protected].

Enjoy the summer!
Charles

HOw long did NYCOM take to cash the deposit check for some of you guys? I sent mine last Tuesday from Boston, and nothing has posted on my account. I'm a little worried as they said they would only reserve a seat until April 1.

Last edited:
HOw long did NYCOM take to cash the deposit check? I sent mine last Tuesday from Boston, and nothing has posted on my account. I'm a little worried as they said they would only reserve a seat until April 1.

mine took like a month! so i wouldnt worry..but i also did call to make sure they received it (which i would recommend for your own peace of mind)

HOw long did NYCOM take to cash the deposit check for some of you guys? I sent mine last Tuesday from Boston, and nothing has posted on my account. I'm a little worried as they said they would only reserve a seat until April 1.

I mailed mine last Monday. I called the office yesterday and they said they received it and my spot is now confirmed. They said I should be receiving another packet in the mail very soon. They have not deposited the check yet. They probably wait till they have a lot of them and then deposit them. You should call the office just to confirm that they received it.

I mailed mine last Monday. I called the office yesterday and they said they received it and my spot is now confirmed. They said I should be receiving another packet in the mail very soon. They have not deposited the check yet. They probably wait till they have a lot of them and then deposit them. You should call the office just to confirm that they received it.

mine took like a month! so i wouldnt worry..but i also did call to make sure they received it (which i would recommend for your own peace of mind)

Thanks for the advice! I called earlier today, and they told me they did receive it so I guess they're going to cash a bunch of them at once. Definitely feeling less anxious now. :)

I don't think it's a big difference @ different/newer editions - the human body certainly hasn't changed last time I checked :laugh:

Netter's vs. Rohen or any other atlas is a very "personal" choice (sounds weird, I know). I personally have both because they're very different - Netter's contains cartoon-like drawings that are pretty much amazing imho, while Rohen contains photographs of actual cadaver dissections that are helpful for obvious reasons. I like to use both as supplemental materials, but it all depends on you. Some people hate Netter's and some hate Rohen. Some hate both and only use the Thieme atlas (which sucks imho). If you have an idea of what would be most helpful to you, then choose now. If you can find them super cheap, buy both.

To calvinhobbes, the NYIT library is way bigger and a lot of people like to study there when NYIT kids don't have classes (like in August, when they haven't started yet, etc.) I personally don't use either library or the silent study area because I hate silence and being alone. I'm a rowdy lecture hall studier :D.

How tough is Anatomy as a subject at NYCOM? I know it's probably tough everywhere, but I really worry about the practical aspect of the course, since I've always been bad at that sort of stuff. Are there prosected cadavers/review sessions/tutors to help those struggling in the lab portion of the class, when it comes time to study for practicals? What is your advice for how to do well in your experience. thanks

How tough is Anatomy as a subject at NYCOM? I know it's probably tough everywhere, but I really worry about the practical aspect of the course, since I've always been bad at that sort of stuff. Are there prosected cadavers/review sessions/tutors to help those struggling in the lab portion of the class, when it comes time to study for practicals? What is your advice for how to do well in your experience. thanks

Anatomy is extremely difficult - biut that's the case everywhere. At NYCOM(and I'm sure other DO schools as well) it's more difficult when you're taking it alongside OMM & lecture material (you'll soon come to know & despise the dreaded "trifecta monday").

Before ever dissection there's a prosection demonstration, & the prosection is always available for the students to look at throughout the lab & afterwards - the anatomy lab is open everyday from 6 AM - 2 AM, accessible via an ID card swipe.

My advice? STUDY. Read your dissector, go over your atlas, and the most important: nothing can substitute time in the lab. I don't care how many hours you spend with a book, the best way to learn is to get your hands dirty.

As far as tutoring/help is concerned - 3 or 4 days before the exam, the faculty sets up a mock practical - they basically choose a handful of cadavers & pin them as they would for the real exam, & they post the answer key online. The Friday before the exam (exams are always on Mondays) there's a review session for ~2 hours, where the faculty & 3rd year scholars are in the lab w/ the mock practical to answer your questions & explain things to you if you need it. It's extremely helpful, imho. The faculty also pops up in the lab throughout the weekend, especially before the first exam. I remember specifically being practically talked off a ledge by Dr. Solounias on a Saturday morning ("what are you worried about? you know everything!!") :laugh:

The anatomy faculty members are all downright amazing, so use them to your advantage :)

Does anyone know what the ID# on the student immunization form is? Is that our SSN or AACOMAS number?

Anatomy is extremely difficult - biut that's the case everywhere. At NYCOM(and I'm sure other DO schools as well) it's more difficult when you're taking it alongside OMM & lecture material (you'll soon come to know & despise the dreaded "trifecta monday").

Before ever dissection there's a prosection demonstration, & the prosection is always available for the students to look at throughout the lab & afterwards - the anatomy lab is open everyday from 6 AM - 2 AM, accessible via an ID card swipe.

My advice? STUDY. Read your dissector, go over your atlas, and the most important: nothing can substitute time in the lab. I don't care how many hours you spend with a book, the best way to learn is to get your hands dirty.

As far as tutoring/help is concerned - 3 or 4 days before the exam, the faculty sets up a mock practical - they basically choose a handful of cadavers & pin them as they would for the real exam, & they post the answer key online. The Friday before the exam (exams are always on Mondays) there's a review session for ~2 hours, where the faculty & 3rd year scholars are in the lab w/ the mock practical to answer your questions & explain things to you if you need it. It's extremely helpful, imho. The faculty also pops up in the lab throughout the weekend, especially before the first exam. I remember specifically being practically talked off a ledge by Dr. Solounias on a Saturday morning ("what are you worried about? you know everything!!") :laugh:

The anatomy faculty members are all downright amazing, so use them to your advantage :)

find the tendons and muscles and other structures on OTHER groups cadavers, not just yours. If you spend all day memorizing the parts you dissect on your cadever your going to be roaylly F'd come practical day as the pin stuck in group 14s semitendinosis will not look the same as yours. Trrust me on that. read and do your job diessecting your body, but for practical studying, go around the lab and find the stuff on all the other bodies because all of them get pinned for the test.

Thanks for the tips Christina and Boston.

I am a little confused about the class schedule on the academic calendar website :confused:

It looks like the first semester starts with Anatomy/OMM (which spans the entire semester), and then we start with the Integumentary System followed by the Neurological System? The second semester is Musculoskeletal, Hema + OMM?

Can someone confirm that im getting this right and not just making it up? :p

thanks!!

find the tendons and muscles and other structures on OTHER groups cadavers, not just yours. If you spend all day memorizing the parts you dissect on your cadever your going to be roaylly F'd come practical day as the pin stuck in group 14s semitendinosis will not look the same as yours. Trrust me on that. read and do your job diessecting your body, but for practical studying, go around the lab and find the stuff on all the other bodies because all of them get pinned for the test.

This is great advice, thanks! (I, however, must point out that Yankees >> Red Sox :))

I am a little confused about the class schedule on the academic calendar website :confused:

It looks like the first semester starts with Anatomy/OMM (which spans the entire semester), and then we start with the Integumentary System followed by the Neurological System? The second semester is Musculoskeletal, Hema + OMM?

Can someone confirm that im getting this right and not just making it up? :p

thanks!!

No. Anatomy does in fact last an entire semester, but at the same time you also have OMM & lectures in 3 blocks between August & December: Intro to Osteopathic Medicine, Musculoskeletal System, & Integumentary System.

After Christmas break, you have neuroanatomy (but it only lasts for 1 month & isn't tested separately in practicals like it was before - you have photographs of specimens on the lecture exams) as well as OMM and 2 (or 4, depending how you look at it) more systems: Nervous System Parts 1 - 3 (each part is a month long) & Hematology/Immune System.

It's brutal, but it's obviously survivable. We just finished the last of the Nervous System blocks on Monday & I'm still breathing. :D

No. Anatomy does in fact last an entire semester, but at the same time you also have OMM & lectures in 3 blocks between August & December: Intro to Osteopathic Medicine, Musculoskeletal System, & Integumentary System.

After Christmas break, you have neuroanatomy (but it only lasts for 1 month & isn't tested separately in practicals like it was before - you have photographs of specimens on the lecture exams) as well as OMM and 2 (or 4, depending how you look at it) more systems: Nervous System Parts 1 - 3 (each part is a month long) & Hematology/Immune System.

It's brutal, but it's obviously survivable. We just finished the last of the Nervous System blocks on Monday & I'm still breathing. :D

ah, i see! thanks!! im terrified of immunology... it's going to be a challenge to learn it at the very end of the year when im mostly dead!

i was already excited to be accepted, but im definitely becoming even more excited now as I learn more about nycom! =)

congrats on surviving the nervous system blocks!

ah, i see! thanks!! im terrified of immunology... it's going to be a challenge to learn it at the very end of the year when im mostly dead!

i was already excited to be accepted, but im definitely becoming even more excited now as I learn more about nycom! =)

congrats on surviving the nervous system blocks!

Immunology is terrifying for so many other reasons :laugh: Our first exam is wroth 62% of our grade for the block & the OMM exam is semi-cumulative - not looking forward to it!

The guy who teaches immunology is liek 90 years old and wheres a bowtie. His test questions are a joke no need to be scared.

This is the best news I've heard after christina said it's worth 62 percent of the grade.

I'm also getting more and more excited about nycom as I learn more about it.

This is the best news I've heard after christina said it's worth 62 percent of the grade.

I'm also getting more and more excited about nycom as I learn more about it.

Haha same here. But the headache of housing will start even sooner, lol. House hunting is oh so much fun ehhh. But I guess the imp. thing is to do it with others so it doesn't get as hectic.

The guy who teaches immunology is liek 90 years old and wheres a bowtie. His test questions are a joke no need to be scared.

I just read your response on the 'is this hard for everyone" thread. Good lord! That just made my concerns seem much more trivial now.

Hi guys! I got accepted into the HCOP MEd Prep I Program. Anyone else will be in the Med Prep Program this May?

Yes I'm in the MedPrep Program this May. Where are you from?

He's effing amazing, I won't allow you to slander Sidney Simon, DO in such a way!!!! :D

Does anyone know what the ID# on the student immunization form is? Is that our SSN or AACOMAS number?

I called on that and they said they (the admission office) will fill that in when we are issued one

Hey everyone,

When should we expect fin aid information? And how does health insurance work? Can we stay on our parents' health plans or do we have to take insurance through the school? And if we can stay on parents insurance, how do we notify NYCOM?

Hey everyone,

When should we expect fin aid information? And how does health insurance work? Can we stay on our parents' health plans or do we have to take insurance through the school? And if we can stay on parents insurance, how do we notify NYCOM?

You can stay on your parent's health plan if you are still eligible under their coverage. You can sign a NYCOM health insurance waiver form and provide proof of health insurance later (NYCOM will let you know how this can be done; basically sending them a copy of insurance card, which they will use it to verify your coverage by calling the insurance company). This will allow you to opt out of school's health insurance plan which costs around 4-5k/ year.

For those who are no longer covered under their parents' insurance plan for whatever reason (eg. age), you may consider applying medicaid (i.e., assuming you don't have substantial income previous year). This will help you save a few k.

Anyway, congrats everyone!!! Best of luck!!! . :luck:

Hi everyone congratz for the acceptance. I know most or everyone has already been accepted here. I have my interview on April 13th and wanted any tips or types of questions everyone has encountered. This would be a great help and hopefully I will get accepted and be a part of the class of 2015!! Thank you everyone

Thanks MCATTT! And SDulku, just be yourself and know your application in and out. Show them why they would want you! A current student there told me that they really pick students who would love it at NYCOM. Know your typical ethical question stuff, and other than that, be yourself!