NYCOM! Class of 2016!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sardines

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:banana:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone from class 2016 applied to DPC? Have any of you heard back from them or know when they will announce the acceptance to DPC??

I'm assuming they won't get back to us until the class is full and have all the applications for the program, but that's just my guess

Members don't see this ad :)
I called admin and they said they have not finished selecting the class, and once they have a final class (towards the summer) they will select the DPC group. However, last year SDNers posted that they were offered spots in the program as early as in April, so who knows...

I just realized I can start looking through the Medical Forums YAY!

I was accepted through the HCOP program in December, woo! So excited to start!

Anyone else attending the summer prep program?

So is there a Facebook group for the class of 2016? And, any comments from first years in regards to how their experience has been thus far? :) Would love to hear all about it ;)

So is there a Facebook group for the class of 2016? And, any comments from first years in regards to how their experience has been thus far? :) Would love to hear all about it ;)

Yeahh there's a group you have to search it bc it doesn't come up, at least it didn't for me. Just type in NYCOM 2016. I'd give you the link but I'm on my iPhone haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I left the immunization form ID number blank...

Also, just got the Webboard info in the mail. It's starting to get real.... :)

I left the immunization form ID number blank...

Also, just got the Webboard info in the mail. It's starting to get real.... :)

Whoa I havent gotten any mail yet in regards to immunizations or even the webboard :/ ehhhhhhhhh shucks

And has anyone begun their financial aid or is it too early for that? :)

Last edited:
Me too!!!!

For anyone whose filled out the immunization forms, what did you guys put for the ID number?

When I called the school about the immunization forms, they said to leave it blank or you can put your social security.

I was accepted through the HCOP program in December, woo! So excited to start!

Anyone else attending the summer prep program?

Hey! I was accepted through the HCOP Program as well in December! Congrats to both of us! I live in NJ so I'm looking for apartments for the summer and I'm not really willing to spend on the hotel they've sent us info for.. Was just wondering..what plans do you have for your accommodations?

Hey! I was accepted through the HCOP Program as well in December! Congrats to both of us! I live in NJ so I'm looking for apartments for the summer and I'm not really willing to spend on the hotel they've sent us info for.. Was just wondering..what plans do you have for your accommodations?

I am from North Jersey! Yeah I am looking for an apartment to move into in June. I am going to commute for the week and half of May and hopefully move in somewhere. I am looking for a 1br/ studio. I had horrible roommate experiences throughout college so I am straying away from roommates.

I'll be giving my acceptance away; I won't be attending NYCOM - good luck everyone!

I was also accepted through the HCOP program in December!! I'm a MA resident without a car (yet) so I am actually thinking about taking up the hotel offer (for double occupancy) =/ It's pretty expensive, but I figured I'd spend almost the same if I were to rent + gas + food. I am hoping the inn's shuttle will be able to provide drop off/pick up since they did mention we can make shuttle reservations. I'm still thinking about it though...

Congrats to everyone!

Anyone know how long after we give the deposit that they send us the other paperwork?

Hi! I am a first year med student at NYCOM. I have a room in a 3-bedroom house available for sublet on Elm Ave in Glen Cove. About 12 mins away from school. Has a living room, kitchen, bathroom, washer and dryer, and parking spots in the garage. The rent is $600/month INCLUDING internet and all utilities. Available from May to July. Msg me if interested. I have pictures of the place. Thank you.

Was just wondering what NYCOM's policy is regarding doing rotations away from New York.

I think I read somewhere that all core rotations (all of 3rd year) must be done at affiliated hospital, while for 4th year, rotations can be done anywhere? Is this correct?

Hey all! I'm wondering if any of you could answer a question I have.

What are the DPC students' weekly schedules like? I read they have group meetings 3 times a week - does this mean they are not in school the rest of the week, or are the OMM and anatomy classes on the other days of the week, so they have class 5 times a week?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

Hey all! I'm wondering if any of you could answer a question I have.

What are the DPC students' weekly schedules like? I read they have group meetings 3 times a week - does this mean they are not in school the rest of the week, or are the OMM and anatomy classes on the other days of the week, so they have class 5 times a week?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

From what I gather it's MWF for 2 hrs but you still have to attend anatomy and omm lab and lectures with the test of the class

anyone have any idea when we will here if we have been accepted into the DPC program?

From what I gather it's MWF for 2 hrs but you still have to attend anatomy and omm lab and lectures with the test of the class
any idea if the anatomy and omm classes are on the same days as the group meetings (i.e. MWF)? Essentially, are T and TH free for DPC students?

I think anatomy and OMM are on tues and Thursday from what I remember a student telling me at orientation

Congrats to all you guys, im a OMS-II (class of 2014) at NYCOM getting ready for the hell month before the Comlex.

just a drop of advice, dont buy any Textbooks!(unless your DPC then you will probably end up learning everything from textbooks, i am a Lecture based) waste of money everything you will be tested on is in the notes... streaming is great. just have to go in for the labs (omm, anatomy, dpr)

work hard, and itll pay off.

if you have any q's id be happy to help if i get a chance to respond but if i don't plz attribute it to me being stuck in a dungeon studying for the boards... gl guys

Congrats to all you guys, im a OMS-II (class of 2014) at NYCOM getting ready for the hell month before the Comlex.

just a drop of advice, dont buy any Textbooks!(unless your DPC then you will probably end up learning everything from textbooks, i am a Lecture based) waste of money everything you will be tested on is in the notes... streaming is great. just have to go in for the labs (omm, anatomy, dpr)

work hard, and itll pay off.

if you have any q's id be happy to help if i get a chance to respond but if i don't plz attribute it to me being stuck in a dungeon studying for the boards... gl guys

Hey, would you mind giving us a breakdown of how first year is (classes and their schedules), any breaks, and when first year ends and how long is the break before 2nd year begins.

Did you buy anything for first year (books, equipment, etc)? Thanks and good luck!!!!!

sure, i can give you a general outline of how my first year was but it changes from year to year slightly. You start with the Intro to Osteopathy course which is just an introductory course of all the basic sciences, then you move on to Musculoskeletal, Integ, Neuro (which is divided into part 1,2,3 each 1 month long) and then you end first year with Heme/Onc. Gross Anatomy starts in the beginning till the end of Integumentary which is done by winter break. At the start of hte New year concurrently with the Neuro 1 block you take Neuro anatomy. Omm labs are usually every monday/wed or wed/fri depending on you what group you are broken down into A1, A2, B1, B2. A1s get screwed cuz we have lab at 8 am but then 2nd year we get lab at 1 pm so it works out in the end. That is generally how it goes down.

Our year (class of 2014) we had trifectas meaning Written exam in the AM from 8 am-10 am, Anatomy practicals from 10am to 12 pm and then OMM practical at an assigned time anywhere from 12 pm to 5 pm. Needless to say, these were rough but they end when anatomy ends so bear with it. Some say its sort of a weeding out/breaking in process, and if you can get through this, you should give yourself a well deserved winter break because Neuro is a whole new animal. The upper classmen when i asked for advice would tell me that it gets easier with every block. I highly disagree, I would be doing you guys an injustice by telling you that, I say some blocks are easier than some, like for me I found Integ incredibly dry (a ton of pathology) so I didnt so well on it but some ppl found it to be really easy. Bottom line is I would say if your a hard worker and you study a bit every day you should be fine and you can still go out and have a great time all of first year. If you have any more questions, I can elaborate bc this is already getting long.

First year ends in May and school starts up again in August. The summer between First and 2nd year, is what they call the 'last summer'. I would just say enjoy it, if you really wanna do research and are motivated do it but no one is gonna tell you its the end of the world if you choose to just enjoy yourself (which is what I did).

Well, hope that helped. Anymore questions you can PM me or I'll check back on this thread during one of my breaks throughout the week!

Good luck and welcome!

Hey, would you mind giving us a breakdown of how first year is (classes and their schedules), any breaks, and when first year ends and how long is the break before 2nd year begins.

Did you buy anything for first year (books, equipment, etc)? Thanks and good luck!!!!!

Hey guys. Congrats to everyone who got in.

Does anyone know what kind of grades you have to maintain so that they wont rescind acceptance? The letter they sent only says that one has to get a bachelor's degree to matriculate (as far as i can tell). I know for a fact that my grades for this last semester of college won't be anywhere near my pre-admission grades lol. However, none of the classes I'm taking now are any of the requirements, and only one of them is a science course. What do you guys think would happen if i got a few C's? D?

I know a guy in the first year class that had a few Cs and Ds after he accepted, he had no issues so i think you should be fine. Just dont fail anything, that sets of the ringers! Good luck man!

I think anatomy and OMM are on tues and Thursday from what I remember a student telling me at orientation
Thanks for the info! Any current NYCOM students able to confirm that? MWF DPC group sessions, T,TH anatomy & OMM?

First year is hard, but doable!!! Figure out what works for you and figure it out quickly. Don't let other people get you stressed. Lemme give you some good advice.
1. NEVER listen to what the second years tell you. They are most often wrong/lying more than right.
2. A lot of people fail Intro! Then MSK then HEME. Don't let these systems kill you. Especially the earlier systems - you don't need that stress going into each test (you can only fail once then you are out)
3. Always make sure you have all previous (past 4 years) exam keys memorized before taking your exams. Questions tend to be copy and pasted. Yes. These questions should be gimmies for you!
4. Everyone fabricates. Don't let people telling you they honored or telling you they finished streaming everything get you down. Most often than not everyone is lying to make themselves look better. Do what works for you! be on your own schedule.
5. Make it till Dec and it will get easier. Once Anatomy is over you will feel a huge weight lifted off your shoulders.
If you guys have anymore questions and want the truth and not the "political" answer PM me :)

GOod Luck! You all will do great!

First year is hard, but doable!!! Figure out what works for you and figure it out quickly. Don't let other people get you stressed. Lemme give you some good advice.
1. NEVER listen to what the second years tell you. They are most often wrong/lying more than right.
2. A lot of people fail Intro! Then MSK then HEME. Don't let these systems kill you. Especially the earlier systems - you don't need that stress going into each test (you can only fail once then you are out)
3. Always make sure you have all previous (past 4 years) exam keys memorized before taking your exams. Questions tend to be copy and pasted. Yes. These questions should be gimmies for you!
4. Everyone fabricates. Don't let people telling you they honored or telling you they finished streaming everything get you down. Most often than not everyone is lying to make themselves look better. Do what works for you! be on your own schedule.
5. Make it till Dec and it will get easier. Once Anatomy is over you will feel a huge weight lifted off your shoulders.
If you guys have anymore questions and want the truth and not the "political" answer PM me :)

GOod Luck! You all will do great!

:thumbup:I agree almost 100% and I am a 2nd year student. When I was a first year and I asked 2nd years for advice they just kept saying the next system is easier and then the one after that is even easier, but that was never true for me. So I would say just stay on your feet for all of it and you won't have a problem.

Was just wondering what NYCOM's policy is regarding doing rotations away from New York.

I think I read somewhere that all core rotations (all of 3rd year) must be done at affiliated hospital, while for 4th year, rotations can be done anywhere? Is this correct?

Anyone???

Any idea when our financial aid package comes? End of May I'm guessing?

Anyone???

I graduated in 2011 but for our class we had to do 2 fourth year rotations in NY and the rest could be done at any other academic center anywhere.

Yes, all third year rotations are done at NYCOM affiliated hospitals. Fourth year you can do most of your rotations anywhere, except for one of your sub-internships and one of your selectives (aka a specialty of medicine, surgery, obgyn etc. etc.). So technically only 2 of your rotations need to be done in NYCOM hospitals. hope this helps!

Hi! I am a first year med student at NYCOM. I have a room in a 3-bedroom house available for sublet on Elm Ave in Glen Cove. About 12 mins away from school. Has a living room, kitchen, bathroom, washer and dryer, and parking spots in the garage. The rent is $600/month INCLUDING internet and all utilities. Available from May to July. Msg me if interested. I have pictures of the place. Thank you.

Are any 2nd year students willing to sublet their room to the HCOP Summer program students? Im still looking for 1br. Where can I find more information about students willing to sublet their rooms? Please PM me. Thanks!!

Hi all!
Congrats on being accepted!

I have one room available for sublet in my three bedroom house. The apartment is about 10 mins from school, includes washer/dryer, two bathrooms, large open kitchen and living room, harwood floors, dishwasher, garage, driveway, balcony, central air, and is fully furnished. The room is available for move in tomorrow and you can stay for the whole med prep program! The rent for the 6 weeks including utilities is $900. PM if you are interested or want more information! Good luck!

I know this is last minute and it seems alot of others are trying to sublet their place out as well. I just got one of my rotations changed and will be moving out early and wanted to see if anyone was interested in subletting my apartment for their med prep program. It is a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment in Sea Cliff area and is 1050 for the entire medprep program. If anyone is interested let me know asap. Thanks.

1. I just found out I got in to NYCOM. How full is the DPC program now?

2. Looking for a place if anyone needs a roommate!

Congratulations!!!! did they by any chance say when do they need their deposit by? I am also been wait listed and waiting. what was your mcat score and gpa if you don't mind sharing. thanks and congratulations again!

Letter said that the spot would be held till July 25. My stats are in my MDApplicants profile, so you can see the complete picture.

Approximately when is the break in Winter? I am trying to see if a 10 day Birthright trip would fit into my schedule.