NYCOM curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Su4n2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does NYCOM have systems curriculum where u learn in blocks or regular basic science curriculum? s

Members don't see this ad.

NYCOM's first two years are arranged in blocks. First year is all basic sciences and second year is all system-based medicine, both arranged in 5-7 week blocks ending in 5-8 exams in 5 days. I personally like this system, as it gives you a chance to have a life outside school in the beginning of the block. Having an exam or two every week would shoot every weekend. You finish second year in mid april and have about 6 weeks to study for Step I of the boards, which you must sit for to move on to third year. Hope this helps.

thanx oceandoc,
i sthought that for schools using the block system there was only one exam at the end of each block pkus practical. oh well, 5-8 tests in 5 days sounds horrible. but i hear from a friend who went there 4 years ago that they had tests every monday. she hated it. thanx for the info. susan

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools on the block system test differently. First year you have an exam in each course at the end of the block, with some courses being several blocks long (anatomy, physio), others a single block (genetics). The testing for second year has actually been condensed this year (it used to be worse last year... 10-12 exams in 4 days), but you still have between 5-8 exams in a week altogether including practicals and including the one large, integrated exam (the reason for the condensed version this year) for the system you're currently studying. Yeah, as your NYCOM friend of a few years ago remembers, it used to be much, much worse. NYCOM has changed drastically over the past few years, for the better. The new upper administration is nothing short of spectacular.

Man, we have 8 tests in 2 days every month. :(