NYCOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when we're going to get access to the housing board? Do people already have access?

Probably will be sometime in May or June. It's still a bit early to be looking for August housing right now, although I know people are. If you're eager, you can just check out what's available yourself for the time being. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I called earlier this week (April 1st) and they told me a decision had not been made. I just came back from a mini vacation and in my mailbox I find.. an ACCEPTANCE letter!! Yayyy!

So even if they say that they haven't made a decision (she took all of my info as well), its not necessarily true. Also, the letter was dated March 30th. So good luck to all out there and just keep checking your mail!

I just got similar news yesterday. I know specifically that she was looking at my file because I had to update my address.
She said that no decision was made yet and that the committee would be meeting again next week. I'm so excited!!!! I hope it's a yes!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I interviewed March 26 so I'm still waiting out that month. Hopefully I hear something good by the end of April :xf: . Just thought I'd share.

Members don't see this ad :)
just to let you guys know, theres a get together this friday organized by SemiColon on our facebook site if you are interested!

So it feels like I really slipped through the cracks on NYCOM this year. I'm not sure what the deal is! Last year, I applied a bit too late, got an accordingly late interview, was wait-listed, and didn't get in. This year, I applied early, and haven't heard word-one from them since. And my application has improved!! I've gotten more MD interviews (and an acceptance) than I did last year, so clearly other schools are recognizing my improvements. You would think that, given that I had an interview last year, they'd at least want to interview me again...

So it feels like I really slipped through the cracks on NYCOM this year. I'm not sure what the deal is! Last year, I applied a bit too late, got an accordingly late interview, was wait-listed, and didn't get in. This year, I applied early, and haven't heard word-one from them since. And my application has improved!! I've gotten more MD interviews (and an acceptance) than I did last year, so clearly other schools are recognizing my improvements. You would think that, given that I had an interview last year, they'd at least want to interview me again...

its a big crap shot. if it makes you feel better, i applied in 2007 to SUNY buffalo with an mcat of 27, interviewed, and was 'middle waitlisted'...didn't get in. i applied in 2008 to SUNY buffalo with a new and improved 31 mcat, interviewed, and was 'low waitlisted'....needless to say, didn't get in.

we'd like to think that these things are within our control, but unfortunately they aren't. but it sounds like you are going to med school anyway! congrats!

Yeah I know its a crap shoot, but this seems particularly strange. At least with Buffalo you were interviewed both times, even though your waitlist spot dropped. I can't imagine why I didn't even get the interview this go around!

Anyway as you said, I am going to medical school anyway so its a moot point, I'm just trying to close the loop.

Does nycom send any deposit confirmation letter/email? Can you call in and check if they received the deposit?

They don't send a letter, but you can call the office and they will tell you if it's been received. Soon, you'll receive the immunization forms and all that fun stuff :)

They don't send a letter, but you can call the office and they will tell you if it's been received. Soon, you'll receive the immunization forms and all that fun stuff :)

I received a letter that my deposit was received.

I just called. "Letters were sent out. Check your mail." :scared:

:xf::xf: Good luck everyone! :xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called. "Letters were sent out. Check your mail."

:xf::xf: Good luck everyone! :xf::xf:

I called today also around 3 and was told that letters had not been sent out for a while, and that she doesn't know when they will be....I feel like we are all getting the run-around. :confused::scared::mad::confused:

btw, Allicat...when did u have your interview?

:xf::xf:

I called today also around 3 and was told that letters had not been sent out for a while, and that she doesn't know when they will be....I feel like we are all getting the run-around. :confused::scared::mad::confused:

btw, Allicat...when did u have your interview?

:xf::xf:

March 19th

is there a deadline they need the immunization/ paperwork done by?

I believe they state in the letter that they want the immunization/medical forms a month after your deposit. However, I think that's just their way of saying "ASAP!". ;)

Does anyone know when/if their waitlist starts to move?

I a researching student loan options and it seems Discover is the only lender with zero origination fees and slightly lower interest. So I am wondering what is the catch ?

i think the catch is that they are fairly new when it comes to student loans

Does anyone know when/if their waitlist starts to move?

The waitlist moves when it moves. However, there a few dates when it moves more. For example, I think on May 15th the allopathic applicants are forced to declare a school freeing up waitlist spots there. That ripple travels down the line and osteopathic spots open up.

There's no equivalent in the DO world, but each school has their own deadlines for deposits to be paid. Just as an example, I was waitlisted the year I applied in April, and was accepted around July 1st or so. That was 1 month prior to school starting so I was already set to go to another school. Luckily things went my way and I am here at NYCOM.

Also keep in mind that the amount of movement varies drastically. For the classes of 2010 and 2011 the waitlist moved significantly (estimating about 10-20 students). However, for the class of 2012 only 3 or so people were pulled off the waitlist. In my opinion this year has been ultra competitive given the boost in applications due to the economy so waitlist movement might be minimal. Hopefully I'm wrong and there'll be a lot of movement again :)

i think the catch is that they are fairly new when it comes to student loans

I would think the benefits still definitely outweigh any disadvantages that may come from inexperience. Besides, these loans are federally regulated and Discover is a name that everyone knows (they're not literally "noobs", haha).

As you can tell, I went with Discover. :D

I'd say go for it. If anything, even if they decide to take away those benefits, they'd be the same as most other lenders. You won't be getting a worse deal either way.

I would think the benefits still definitely outweigh any disadvantages that may come from inexperience. Besides, these loans are federally regulated and Discover is a name that everyone knows (they're not literally "noobs", haha).

As you can tell, I went with Discover. :D

I'd say go for it. If anything, even if they decide to take away those benefits, they'd be the same as most other lenders. You won't be getting a worse deal either way.

definitely, i'm 90% sure i'll be going with Discover for both my stafford and grad plus loans... unless I win the lottery of course.. hopefully i'll hit big at the rate im playing at :laugh:

anyone interview around the 15th of april or after that? hear anything?

anyone interview around the 15th of april or after that? hear anything?
I interviewed on the 19th and still haven't heard anything...its been about 6 weeks since my interview and when i called today i was told that a decision had not been made yet :(

I interviewed on the 19th and still haven't heard anything...its been about 6 weeks since my interview and when i called today i was told that a decision had not been made yet :(

That's March 19th; he asked about April. I wish you luck! :luck:

DrShake, it usually takes about a month for them to make a decision.

do they mail out rejection letters? or do they just not send anything?

hmm... i called today and she said a decision was mailed out recently .. but she definately didnt say "congrats" or "good news" it was very emotionless and business-like... so maybe its good news?

Hi.... Are there any current students who work part- time? Anyone have any opinions about working part time during med school????

so i got the dpc application a few months ago in the mail.. havent heard anything back so i'm assuming i didnt get in.. anyone hear about dpc that applied for it?

Hi.... Are there any current students who work part- time? Anyone have any opinions about working part time during med school????

There is one person that I know of who works a full time schedule as a registered nurse (working nights). There are a few EMTs/firefighters who still pick up the occasional shift to stay current with their departments on Long Island. In my opinion, it's not worth it if it's interfering with your study time or making you too tired to come to class.

I wouldn't think it's worth it at all. Any money you make with a part-time job wouldn't even put a dent in any costs nor the debt you'll incur. That time is better spent studying, if anything.

so i got the dpc application a few months ago in the mail.. havent heard anything back so i'm assuming i didnt get in.. anyone hear about dpc that applied for it?

I don't believe they made any decisions yet. Somehow I doubt they even looked at the applications yet.

hey! soo I need to buy a laptop for med school. Since ive had two laptops crash on me throughout college I was thinking of buying a macbook. Would this be fine? does anyone know if there are certain computers better to buy for nycom and/or if there are a list of requirements for your computer on the website??

thanksss :)

Hi guys,

Seniorites is really getting to me, i was wondering if there was a minimum GPA requirement for sustaining your accepted status? (this is for the last semester of the college)

Thanks,

Hi guys,

Seniorites is really getting to me, i was wondering if there was a minimum GPA requirement for sustaining your accepted status? (this is for the last semester of the college)

Thanks,

As long as you don't fail or get horrible grades, you should be just fine. I wouldn't worry about it. It'd be pretty dumb to ruin your acceptance now after working so hard, haha.

i heard that for md schools- if you got accepted to two schools you have to choose one by may 15th... is this true and does this apply for DO schools?

i heard that for md schools- if you got accepted to two schools you have to choose one by may 15th... is this true and does this apply for DO schools?
this is true for MD schools but not necessarily for DO schools, they have their own deadlines.

when is their deadline...
i believe each DO school has it's own deadline, like NYCOM for example gives you 30 days to accept/deny their acceptance, TOURO-NY gives you 2 weeks, etc, as long as you dont pass their deadlines you can hold on to your acceptances.

do any of you guys know if NYCOM offers Direct loans where you can use the government as a lender or can you only obtain your staffords through a private lender?

do any of you guys know if NYCOM offers Direct loans where you can use the government as a lender or can you only obtain your staffords through a private lender?

I am not really sure what you are asking, but I'll give an answer that may help out. NYCOM is no longer acting as a lender (they sent some paperwork giving reasoning and details with other financial aid paperwork). Therefore, you need to go through a lender to obtain your Stafford and GradPlus loans (if needed). I don't believe the government is a lender, so you need to go to a private lender ie Sallie Mae, any of the major banks - BofA, citi etc, I know a few people were talking about Discover. It was my understanding that the Staffords were only given from private lenders, but the interest rates are are held at 6.8% by the federal government (and the interest paid for the subsidized by the government).

So to summarize, I am not sure what you are asking, and I do not believe you can obtain the loans from the government. Private lenders will give you the Staffords at the same interest rates no matter which lender you use, the only difference will really be what the initial fees are.

Hope this helps.

what are the average stats for accepted students to NYCOM and is there an in-state preference?

does it help if i shadowed 2 docs who graduated there? :D

what are the average stats for accepted students to NYCOM and is there an in-state preference?

does it help if i shadowed 2 docs who graduated there? :D

I don't know what the average is for my class, but I believe the last I saw were a 27 MCAT and 3.5 GPA. Yes, there is somewhat of an in-state bias.

And yeah, it'll probably help that you shadowed alumni. ;)

I am not really sure what you are asking, but I'll give an answer that may help out. NYCOM is no longer acting as a lender (they sent some paperwork giving reasoning and details with other financial aid paperwork). Therefore, you need to go through a lender to obtain your Stafford and GradPlus loans (if needed). I don't believe the government is a lender, so you need to go to a private lender ie Sallie Mae, any of the major banks - BofA, citi etc, I know a few people were talking about Discover. It was my understanding that the Staffords were only given from private lenders, but the interest rates are are held at 6.8% by the federal government (and the interest paid for the subsidized by the government).

So to summarize, I am not sure what you are asking, and I do not believe you can obtain the loans from the government. Private lenders will give you the Staffords at the same interest rates no matter which lender you use, the only difference will really be what the initial fees are.

Hope this helps.

Well there are 2 ways of obtaining stafford loans:
1. Federal Direct Student Loan Program (Direct Loans), where the government serves as the lender
2. Federal Family Education Loan Program, where a bank (Discover, Chase, etc.) serves as the lender
But guessing from what you said it looks like NYCOM does not participate in the Direct Loans program, which sucks since Direct Loans don't have initial fees, but thanks for your reply!

Well there are 2 ways of obtaining stafford loans:
1. Federal Direct Student Loan Program (Direct Loans), where the government serves as the lender
2. Federal Family Education Loan Program, where a bank (Discover, Chase, etc.) serves as the lender
But guessing from what you said it looks like NYCOM does not participate in the Direct Loans program, which sucks since Direct Loans don't have initial fees, but thanks for your reply!

You can just choose a lender without initial fees...like Discover. :D

For renting an apartment purpose, does anyone know the beginning and end months of the first and second year? I assume that the third and fourth years you are not at nycom and doing rotations.

for the lecture based and DPC...I'm guessing the lecture based is 5 days/week and is this true for DPC?

For renting an apartment purpose, does anyone know the beginning and end months of the first and second year? I assume that the third and fourth years you are not at nycom and doing rotations.

I believe the first two years are August to May.