NYCOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What made you change your mind? You know you can change your mind after trying it out for a week!

Nothing too complex; I just don't feel that it would be the right method of study for me. But I'm still thinking about whether or not to give it at least a try...

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to double-check, but I thought DPC and LBC followed the same schedule for the first several weeks.

You may want to double-check, but I thought DPC and LBC followed the same schedule for the first several weeks.

Everyone is together in 8a-5p lecture daily for the first system - Intro. to Osteopathic Medicine (~7 weeks). DPC students will have some evening meetings to attend on top of the full lecture days.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i am reading thru and you guys are talking ab an orientation packet? hmm.. (one of the joys of living with a ton of ppl is that they get the mail, throw it somewhere and never tell you!! grrr) is there anything i should be worrying ab right now other than that book not to get?

so i am reading thru and you guys are talking ab an orientation packet? hmm.. (one of the joys of living with a ton of ppl is that they get the mail, throw it somewhere and never tell you!! grrr) is there anything i should be worrying ab right now other than that book not to get?

The orientation packet didn't come in the mail, so no worries. ;)

You can find it (and other forms/info) by logging into the webboard at talk.nyit.edu.

Username: classof2013
Password: admitme

I recently received an email from NYCOM asking whether I wanted to sign up for refunds to be deposited via a Sallie Mae debit card or not. What has everyone decided on?

I recently received an email from NYCOM asking whether I wanted to sign up for refunds to be deposited via a Sallie Mae debit card or not. What has everyone decided on?

I personally went with check. I'll be depositing it into my checking account, which has a debit card I can use anyway. I see no point.

So what banks have atms around Glen Cove/ Old Westbury? trying to pick a new bank...

Thanks

So what banks have atms around Glen Cove/ Old Westbury? trying to pick a new bank...

Thanks

I've seen pretty much every popular bank around Glen Cove. Get a place first, look around it, and see what's within walking distance, if you want.

Does anyone know if housing rent money needed to attend NYCOM can somehow be deducted on our income tax returns? It is at least $10,000 per year.

Does anyone know if housing rent money needed to attend NYCOM can somehow be deducted on our income tax returns? It is at least $10,000 per year.

Nope, I don't think so...I think you can only deduct for tuition and fees...but best bet is checking on the irs.gov website for more information. Unless you are married and your spouse is working, you won't really have an income.

In the Sallie Mae debit card application that Nycom sent, it asks for the "payer id". Does anyone know what should be put into it?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the Sallie Mae debit card application that Nycom sent, it asks for the "payer id". Does anyone know what should be put into it?

Your "payer ID" is the 7-digit student ID number you were given.

Does anyone know if we get a book list and when? It would be nice to order some from the internet rather than paying the rip off bookstore price. We probably get the book list right before school starts so that we have no choice but buying them from the bookstore.

Does anyone know if we get a book list and when? It would be nice to order some from the internet rather than paying the rip off bookstore price. We probably get the book list right before school starts so that we have no choice but buying them from the bookstore.

Absolutely do NOT buy any books until after you guys in 2013 have the big brother/sister meeting during orientation. I made it through 1st and 2nd yr with only 5 books: First Aid, RR Path, BRS Phys, Grant's Dissector, and Savarese. Everything else that I needed I was able to borrow at the library.

What is the recommendation on where to buy the otoscope/opthalmoscope? Should we buy it before school starts? what brand and what web site do you suggest we use?

What is the recommendation on where to buy the otoscope/opthalmoscope? Should we buy it before school starts? what brand and what web site do you suggest we use?

Wait until the 2nd or 3rd week when the Welch Allyn reps come to NYCOM to peddle their wares :) Buy a good steth (like the Littmann III) but don't go crazy with the opthalmoscope unless you're rich. I got mine off ebay for something like 40 bucks and used it about 3 times last year.

Just got my letter - see you all at orientation, future doctors!!!
:soexcited:

Yes! I was on the waitlist. :) Good luck to everyone who is still waiting! Don't give up!!

i just withdrew so there is one more spot open for you guys. good luck.

Hey Guys!

I just got in off of the waiting list on the 13th. I am so pumped. I will be attending. I already put in my request for the facebook group.

See you all at orientation!

Hi all...I was just wondering if anyone could answer this for me- do you know if NYCOM gives preference to NYIT students? I am a sophomore at NYIT, and I am very interested in NYCOM. If anyone could answer this it would be great!! Congrats to everyone, btw.

Hi all...I was just wondering if anyone could answer this for me- do you know if NYCOM gives preference to NYIT students? I am a sophomore at NYIT, and I am very interested in NYCOM. If anyone could answer this it would be great!! Congrats to everyone, btw.

Given that there is already a 7 year BS/DO program in place for NYIT students, I don't think there is much of a preference for NYIT students unless you are in that specific program. If you were to appy, I would figure you would be treated just like any other applicant from the NY region.

Given that there is already a 7 year BS/DO program in place for NYIT students, I don't think there is much of a preference for NYIT students unless you are in that specific program. If you were to appy, I would figure you would be treated just like any other applicant from the NY region.

After I posted that I did some research on the website and I found this...http://www.nyit.edu/life_sciences/pre_medical_program/
according to this they do give preferential treatment to NYIT students, but thank you for your input anyway.

"NYCOM The Life Sciences Department has a special relationship with the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT (NYCOM). Students who graduate within the Life Sciences pre-medical will be given preferential treatment in the admissions process at NYCOM.

Requirements - Preferential Treatment for Admission to NYCOM
To qualify for preferential treatment for admission to NYCOM, the student must meet all of the following requirements:

1. have a 3.30 overall cumulative average and a 3.0 in the sciences;
  2. have a combined MCAT score of 24 and at least an N on the writing sample; and
  3. obtain favorable letters of recommendation from the department's Preprofessional Committee."

Last edited:
I know these questions were probably answered already but can someone please tell me where I can find the dates of orientation and class schedules? I was just accepted off of the waitlist.

Congrats on your acceptance Drwilson. Orientation is August 14 which is a Friday and the 17. Classes start August 18th. Enjoy your last four weeks!

Thanks a lot. Does anybody know of anyone that commutes from Brooklyn? Is that doable or am I crazy for even thinking about it?

Thanks a lot. Does anybody know of anyone that commutes from Brooklyn? Is that doable or am I crazy for even thinking about it?

You should join the Facebook group in my sig and try to catch up a little; a lot of this was discussed already and it's a great place to keep up-to-date (and meet your classmates, of course).

Personally, I think it's nuts to commute from Brooklyn every day, but there are those who are willing to do so and survive just fine. It really depends on your own preferences.

I was just recently accepted off the waitlist and have been able to just complete my fafsa and tap (unfortunately), but don't know what else I need to do since I haven't received any further communications from nycom. Could someone please either post or pm me (please pm if possible) what it is that I should be doing next? Right now I'm just trying to figure out the housing situation, but am a little worried about what it is I need to do. any help would really be appreciated. thanks...

So did anyone's discover grad plus loans go through yet?

I was just recently accepted off the waitlist and have been able to just complete my fafsa and tap (unfortunately), but don't know what else I need to do since I haven't received any further communications from nycom. Could someone please either post or pm me (please pm if possible) what it is that I should be doing next? Right now I'm just trying to figure out the housing situation, but am a little worried about what it is I need to do. any help would really be appreciated. thanks...

I am in the same boat with you, kaml20. I made an appointment with Financial Aid. They are very willing to help!

I was curious. I know during fundamentals class is from 8-5. Is it like that all of first year too? Thanks.

Can some people please talk about which lenders they went with for Stafford, Grad Plus, and/or private loans and why? Any advice and direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I was curious. I know during fundamentals class is from 8-5. Is it like that all of first year too? Thanks.

Fundamentals in 8-5 5 days a week, but the schedule slowly eases up over the course of the year. By the time you guys get into Neuro in late Nov, you'll have 1 or 2 days when you're out by 12. Once anatomy ends in Feb or so, you'll have 3 or 4 days when you're out at 12. Good luck and keep up with Fundamentals. It's not a hard course, but the schedule is so draining :)

When do we get a parking sticker and an id card?

Fundamentals in 8-5 5 days a week, but the schedule slowly eases up over the course of the year. By the time you guys get into Neuro in late Nov, you'll have 1 or 2 days when you're out by 12. Once anatomy ends in Feb or so, you'll have 3 or 4 days when you're out at 12. Good luck and keep up with Fundamentals. It's not a hard course, but the schedule is so draining :)

Unfortunately, they changed the order of systems for us this year. Now we have Intro to Osteopathic Medicine followed by Musculoskeletal in October, then Integumentary in November. We begin Neuro in January and it lasts through March, then Hematological/Immunological. Don't know how this will affect our schedules. I'm also curious why they did that...

The booklist is out. Are those all for the first year? Do we buy any now through Amazon?

I'm looking into Barnes & Noble. Their prices are cheaper than Amazon.

Don't buy books yet. Wait until you have your lunch with the second years - they'll tell you what to get. Otherwise you're going to waste $1000+ on books that you'll never even use.

DO NOT BUY ANY BOOKS ON THAT BOOK LIST!!

The only that I would suggest you look into is Robbins Pathology and Grant's Dissector.

Don't buy books yet. Wait until you have your lunch with the second years - they'll tell you what to get. Otherwise you're going to waste $1000+ on books that you'll never even use.

DO NOT BUY ANY BOOKS ON THAT BOOK LIST!!

The only that I would suggest you look into is Robbins Pathology and Grant's Dissector.

Thanks guys; I was hoping some current students would clear that up. :laugh:

Looking at the actual book list, I'll try to give some advice for what books I used and did not use.

Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine was helpful for our Heme course. It's gonna be used more for 2nd years. It might be worth getting (though it is HUGE and somewhat pricy)

Basic & Clinical Pharmacology I did not use as much because Dr. Goldstein's notes were great. I did, however take it out of the library if I was confused on anything in Pharm.

Pediatrics for Medical Students Only used for the peds lectures (I would say we have around 5 or 6 of these). Alot of questions from the test were taken straight from the book. I took the book out from the libaray to read the assigned chapters.

Biochemistry (Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews) I had a solid foundation in Biochem. But this book is really really good if you don't. It might be worth getting.

Robbins and Cotran's Pathologic Basis of Disease. I use this book all the time. Dr. Elkowitz tells us every time we have him that we need to read the book.

Neurology for the Non-Neurologist. Honestly there was wayyy too many notes given in neuro, I never had any time to read any texts they assigned there. If you think you might have trouble in nuero this book might be helpful.

Medical Microbiology. Dr. May's notes are huge and wonderful (a text in it self) I used Clinical Mirco Made red. Simple for micro. Did not use this book.

The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology. I think we had 3 lectures in embryology during fundamentals. Really did not use this book at all.

Thompson & Thompson Genetics in Medicine. Dixon's notes are wonderful, no need for another genetics book.

Bates Guide to Physical Examination & History Taking. I'm not sure what they are doing with DPR this year, seems like they might include it into a lab grade, if so this book might be useful as there were a couple of DPR qs from this book in our tests

Gray's Anatomy for Students. Don't waste your money, get a better atlas.

BLS for Healthcare Providers- Student Manual worry about this later when you guys have your bls course.

An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment. Useful for OMM, I would rec getting it for the written q's in the OMM tests.

General Anatomy and Musculoskeletal System- Only needed if you are having trouble in anatomy during the Musculoskeletal System. (could get from lib)

Grant's Dissector. Required for anatomy lab, Must get.

Essential Cell Biology. Don't think i have ever used this

Textbook of Medical Physiology. More useful for 2nd year courses.

Primer on Rheumatic Diseases. Dr Simon might say you need this. But all you need for Simon is his notes he gives thats ALL

One of the following Atlases: I liked and rec Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body, J.W. Rohen,
C.Yukochi and Lutjen-Drecoll , 6th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins for anatomy

Lange's Current Surgical Diagnosis and Treatment. Only one or two readings assigned during derm lectures on surgery. Get from lib

Introductory Textbook of Psychiatry, Fourth Edition (paperback). Used in Nuero, though some people got this book, other didn't. I did fine in Psych qs without it. Again could be obtained from lib

Histology: A Text and Atlas. Dr. Hallis might use some pics from this book. Other than that, his lectures are great. Might be used as a reference obtained form the lib

Barr's The Human Nervous System. As I said above for neuro, too many notes given in lecture, had NO time for books in that system.

One of the following two Neuro Atlases: Review Dr. Hallis Nueroanatomy videos for his qs in the test. I got every one right just by looking at his videos, no need for neuro atlases (could be gotten in the lib for reference though).

Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. Got some really sick sick pictures of nasty skin conditions which were really fun to look at, but I digress. Got from lib when I was confused with anything in derm. Did not buy it

Epidemiology. I think High Yield Biostats is good for epid related topics.

The Immune System. Again, Dr. Simon's notes are more than sufficient and will suffice for immune.

Health and Numbers, A Problem-Based Introduction to Biostatistics. I would rec High Yield Biostats for Biostats

Musculoskeletal Medicine. We did not have this book in our list last year (at least I don't remember this book). Dr. Gilliard or Dr. Svielck sp? might use this book for their test Qs in Musculoskeletal. I think getting this book in the lib will suffice.

EDIT: This applies only to the lecture based kids. As far as you guys in DPC...I know they had ALOT of books when i saw them in the library (which was 24/7, not really but it sure looked that way :D) since you guys will be using these books as your primary source for cases and what not. Since I am not a DPC student, I don't know what books you might or might not need. DPC students might want to get some advice from 2nd year DPR students.

Edit Edit: hmmmm I dont see Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore and Dalley. We Used that for anatomy lectures all the time, I wonder what gives?? Maybe they replaced it with Gray's Anatomy for Students....Either way Moore and Dalley was golden for anatomy lectures.

ALSO, you can get Robbins and Cotran's Pathologic Basis of Disease ONLINE (and save $150) through a subscription that NYCOM subscribes to, that is if you don't mind reading a text from your comp screen

Last edited: