NYCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
check your mail people.
i got a letter with my ID number.

edit-
i cant seem to log into their system. maybe it is too early

"Your NYIT ID number is seven digits always preceded by zero(s)."

Took about 5 tries till I read this...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

lol the email service is powered by gmail

when you check fin aid award, is it still blank? mine is

Last edited:
Ya, it is powered by gmail....they even felt a need to force me to use the same user name I gave them for my gmail account, which I'm alright with I suppose.

NYITConnect is down on my end actually. Anyone else able to connect today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya, it is powered by gmail....they even felt a need to force me to use the same user name I gave them for my gmail account, which I'm alright with I suppose.

NYITConnect is down on my end actually. Anyone else able to connect today?

I couldn't connect to NYITConnect either all day. No big deal, I'm sure.

Check now... I just checked mine & it seems to be working....

I got the letter yesterday and set up my e-mail today... now if we could just get the financial aid info. I'd much rather have that than another e-mail account. lol

my dad told me i got financial aid forms in the mail today, but i was waitlisted. i can't make calls at work so i won't be able to call the office. does this mean i got in and the admissions letter is just late? or does anyone who fills out a fafsa get these forms?

my dad told me i got financial aid forms in the mail today, but i was waitlisted. i can't make calls at work so i won't be able to call the office. does this mean i got in and the admissions letter is just late? or does anyone who fills out a fafsa get these forms?

Hey I don't have an answer to your question but I do really hope that you got in. I was also wait listed back in Feb 3rd and was curious if you don't mind me asking when were you wait listed. Thank you.

i interviewed 3/16 was waitlisted like a month or so after.

hmm actually now that i think about it, i bet these forms are just to see if i qualify for medprep or something. damn nycom getting my hopes up!!

i interviewed 3/16 was waitlisted like a month or so after.

hmm actually now that i think about it, i bet these forms are just to see if i qualify for medprep or something. damn nycom getting my hopes up!!

Thanks for the quick reply. Just give us an update once you find out. Best of luck to you.

im still waitlisted. turns out it's because i filled out my fafsa early (just in case i got in) so they auto-generated the forms and sent them to me. the wait continues!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called yesterday and was told that there was no movement on the list thus far.

I called yesterday and was told that there was no movement on the list thus far.

hhhm :(

@AD28: when did you file your FAFSA? I did too, but no mail from NYCOM (or any other schools for that matter...)

hhhm :(

@AD28: when did you file your FAFSA? I did too, but no mail from NYCOM (or any other schools for that matter...)

I filed it in like February or March I think? When I called them they said not to even mail the forms in if I wasn't accepted since I wouldn't be in the system.

Hey guys...has anyone heard anything further about financial aid...last I called, they said we'd have it close to the end of May. Also, for those accepted, after filling out the fafsa, you didnt have to mail in any other things for financial aid correct?
thanks

Hey guys...has anyone heard anything further about financial aid...last I called, they said we'd have it close to the end of May. Also, for those accepted, after filling out the fafsa, you didnt have to mail in any other things for financial aid correct?
thanks

ive never mailed in anything, i just filled out the electronic form and i thought that was it. am i wrong?

ive never mailed in anything, i just filled out the electronic form and i thought that was it. am i wrong?

yupp that's it, we just have to be patient, although they are taking forever and getting me nervous.

I am also unsure about this whole loan + Financial aid thing...so i emailed NYCOM financial and she said... a whole bulk mail will be sent out "soon".:oops:
Also, if you go to www.studentloan.gov and sign in with your SSN, PIN you will have to send a e copy of MPN (Master Promissory Note) and sign it for the federal subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loan. And also direct PLUS loan if you are willing to borrow additional money from the government...i think fixed at 7.9 or 8.5%...
Then, finally if you are borrowing money for the first time you will have to take this quiz on entrance counseling. it takes a while to take the quiz but...you will notice a huge trend in the answers. It is either all of the above or True. nothing is false in that quiz ! lol

If anyone have more info and previous experience from current nycom students, advice will be very much appreciated!!

We're in early June. From previous threads, people start getting off the waitlist about now. Anybody hear anything yet? Be sure to shout out if you do!

just want to let people waiting on fin aid info, that there was a packet mailed to me today. there are some forms that we need to fill out for govt aid.

How many volunteer hours does NYCOM typically want? For those who were accepted...how many and what kind did you have and what would you say is a good general number?

thanks for the help

Last edited:
How's the MedPrep program going?

Any exams yet?

Hey,
I am a first year student from Brooklyn and I am looking for carpooling.
If anybody with a car is willing to share a ride from Brooklyn to NYCOM, that would be great and I can help pay for gas.

Just wanted to say good luck to all who are waitlisted..
I am waitlisted at another school and around this time for the past few years 50 or so people were moved off..this year it hasn't even been 5.

It seems to be like that at most schools for some reason and i feel that there are still quite a few people holding on to more than one acceptance in hopes of last minute decisions..

I'm assuming that once movement darts at a few schools it will start at the rest of them too...good luck everyone

Hey Brooklyn NY,

I sent you a PM about carpooling.

Some MedPreppers left the program (because they are accepted by other schools) so I guess NYCOM will start calling ppl off waitlist soon :)

Hey just curious how you found out about the Med Preppers leaving the program. And also do you happen to know when the program started and finishes? Thanks.

Because I'm in the program :D It started on May 25 and will end on July 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some MedPreppers left the program (because they are accepted by other schools) so I guess NYCOM will start calling ppl off waitlist soon :)

Oh, really? How many of you are there now? How was it?

Anyway, i would not withdraw from this program even if I was accepted elsewhere. I think the materials learned would be helpful in preparing for MS1 at any schools. If it was for me, I would continue with this program and withdraw after July 2nd.

So, anyway, how is Medprep treating you, Athens?

Last edited:
Oh, really? How many of you are they now? How was it?

Anyway, i would not withdraw from this program even if I was accepted elsewhere. I think the materials learned would be helpful in preparing for MS1 at any schools. If it was for me, I would continue with this program and withdraw after July 2nd.

So, anyway, how is Medprep treating you, Athens?

I totally agree with you. I don't understand why some people would withdraw before the end of the program; the Admissions staff are very helpful and materials taught in the class definitely would help us prepare for medical school and pass the Board. I am still in the program and have been waitlisted (still alive) at several allopathic medical schools. At this point, I would still highly consider attending NYCOM over other schools had I been pulled off.

Yup, bowling123, i really think it's a mistake to drop out from the MedPrep program!!! I wish I could attend this type of program before starting at Drexel! I am sure it would make a big difference (i think)!

US: a pair second year nycom (male) students :cool: looking for a roommate in westbury, ny.

YOU: a noob :shrug: who needs an awesome room with two chill roommates.

$2000 a month split 3 ways is $666.66 + cable and internet. Washer/dryer free. utilities are free. Everyone at Nycom lives in glen cove. Be different. :laugh:

When you have free time: close to good shopping (the source, century 21, and roosevelt field) good food (cheesecake factory, Hooters, 24 diner, 7Eleven, colombian, california pizza kitchen, olive garden, ruby tues, etc) Wantagh Parkway (jones beach baby)

PM me if you want to check the place out.

Last edited:
The program ends July 2nd (this Friday) and we were told that they would inform us of a decision within two weeks. People seem to be doing quite well, so I am not sure about the waitlist movement due to medprep...I'm just sayin' ( :

The program ends July 2nd (this Friday) and we were told that they would inform us of a decision within two weeks. People seem to be doing quite well, so I am not sure about the waitlist movement due to medprep...I'm just sayin' ( :

so..how many students are in the medprep program?..their seats are reserved?..because as of today facebook group NYCOM class of 2014 has 232 member...i was trying to guestimate how many seats they have left?...:xf:

I believe the seats are reserved, yes. There's a good amount of students...I would say fifty to sixty? I haven't actually counted, lol, but maybe if I am bored tomorrow I will do an accurate head count! I do recall reading that NYCOM has one of the largest classes of any medical school in the country...I think it is something around 300 students or so in year one, and the number drops to around 275 or 280 by the time that class graduates.

don't worry about the number of people in that facebook group. there are so many people in that group who are current nycom students already. it is definitely not accurate