NYCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I talked to a woman on the phone today and she said that we definitely would get a stipend, but she was unsure as to if it would be one lump sum or some sort of weekly allowance...she also sort of beat around it when I asked her the amount. She said they weren't really sure where they were getting the money for it also, lol. Sorry I couldn't provide more info.

Thanks anyway. I got a call and she wouldn't tell me how much either. I guess I will be happy if the stipend will be enough to cover food and gas, since I will be commuting from Flushing.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks anyway. I got a call and she wouldn't tell me how much either. I guess I will be happy if the stipend will be enough to cover food and gas, since I will be commuting from Flushing.

I'll be commuting from Flushing come August when school starts - not an awful drive. But I used to drive to the Bronx everyday for undergrad, so this is a walk in the park in comparison!!

I'll be commuting from Flushing come August when school starts - not an awful drive. But I used to drive to the Bronx everyday for undergrad, so this is a walk in the park in comparison!!

Christina: How long does it take to commute from flushing? I am also looking for housing near flushing since it seems a bit cheaper. For example, when would you plan to leave if you had a class at 8 am?

Members don't see this ad :)
Christina: How long does it take to commute from flushing? I am also looking for housing near flushing since it seems a bit cheaper. For example, when would you plan to leave if you had a class at 8 am?

Well, I wouldn't leave later than 7:15 - but that's just so I can allow for traffic, etc. I commuted to the Bronx everyday for undergrad and I know what kind of unexpected stuff can happen as a commuter, lol. That being said, it's really only a 20 minute or so drive.

Last time, it took me less than half an hour to drive to the interview. In addition, I don't think housing in Flushing is cheap, particularly around Chinatown. By I agree with you that Hofstra housing is relatively far(10miles) and expensive, so you might as well just live in Flushing.

Well, I wouldn't leave later than 7:15 - but that's just so I can allow for traffic, etc. I commuted to the Bronx everyday for undergrad and I know what kind of unexpected stuff can happen as a commuter, lol. That being said, it's really only a 20 minute or so drive.

I see thanks for the input. So expensive in NY for housing!! sigh..:mad:

Could someone please tell me where to find a list of all NYCOM's clinical sites, as well as their match lists??

Could someone please tell me where to find a list of all NYCOM's clinical sites, as well as their match lists??

The list of affiliated institutions is on their website, and if you interviewed there, they handed out a packet that included such information, as well as last year's match list.

Match lists don't really give you information on the school, though, anyway, so don't bother. All they tell you is what that particular class of students was interested in.

Last time, it took me less than half an hour to drive to the interview. In addition, I don't think housing in Flushing is cheap, particularly around Chinatown. By I agree with you that Hofstra housing is relatively far(10miles) and expensive, so you might as well just live in Flushing.

I drive there everyday on weekdays (I work at NYCOM) and most days it takes more than the 20 minutes it *should* take, because the LIE is unpredictable and often moves rather slowly. If you've ever commuted to school, you'd know that you have to give yourself a lot of time, because you never know. Driving to the Bronx everyday for undergrad, some days I would be 30 minutes early, but sometimes I'd still end up being late due to traffic. You're better off being early - atleast you'll have time to decompress, get coffee, and do your thing before class instead of rushing. It really ruins your entire day when you start off that crappily.

Last edited:
wow there's quite a few ppl from flushing, i'm from flushing too and going to medprep. the figure i heard from the director of admissions about how much the stipend will be for the summer is $1000. but i guess it's not definite until we get a letter saying it is. hope that helps.

Is it me or is it weird that NYCOM does whitecoat ceremony after the end of second year? I''ve seen first and second year students with "white coat" on. Does that mean they take it back and give it back to you???

Is it me or is it weird that NYCOM does whitecoat ceremony after the end of second year? I''ve seen first and second year students with "white coat" on. Does that mean they take it back and give it back to you???

Supposedly, the administration thinks its more symbolic if you get it after two years of working hard, studying, etc. And I guess it makes sense that you don't get it "officially" until before you enter the clinical phase of your education there.

You get a white coat to use during your first 2 years but it's just a cheap, generic one. They give you a nice, personalized one at the white coat ceremony.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any info on the waitlist? Like how many are on it? If it is ranked? and if it is do they tell us our ranking? Also when you think the waitlist will begin to move? Roughly how many get off the waitlist?

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone have any info on the waitlist? Like how many are on it? If it is ranked? and if it is do they tell us our ranking? Also when you think the waitlist will begin to move? Roughly how many get off the waitlist?

Thanks for the help!

This has already been addressed in this thread. The waitlist is ranked, and no they do not tell you.

When students can no longer hold onto places in multiple schools - i.e, they must choose between schools and withdraw acceptances, then it will begin to move.

I have decided to commute instead of dorm and will be commuting from Flushing. Anyone up for car pooling? :D

I have decided to commute instead of dorm and will be commuting from Flushing. Anyone up for car pooling? :D

hey usbstick, i was planning on commuting from flushing too instead of dorming, but was planning on taking the bus out there since i don't have a car at the moment. but if ppl from flushing are planning on carpooling, i'll gladly chip in for gas.

hey usbstick, i was planning on commuting from flushing too instead of dorming, but was planning on taking the bus out there since i don't have a car at the moment. but if ppl from flushing are planning on carpooling, i'll gladly chip in for gas.

The bus ride is AWFUL from Flushing, I don't recommend it - and it's a long walk from the bus stop to the school.

I'm not in medprep, but I would be down for a carpool when you guys start in August :D

A 4.0 is very good, Many EC activities are very good, providing that they are relevant. Make sure to have a very good letter of recommendation from doctors, preferably DO, but a good MD letter is also good. The MCAT is a little late, assuming you wont get your grade until the end of August, and will send in the application complete at the end of August/ beginning of Sept. You will still be a very good candidate (if the MCAT grade is competitive)(NYCOM has been pushing higher with MCATs ~26-27 is competitive), but generally the rule is the earlier the better to not risk being wait-listed. If they have a very competitive year the class might fill up very early, and later interviews would be for the wait-list, Remember interviews are on a first come first serve basis, as long as you meet their minimum criteria. The other factor is doing well on your MCAT, moving it up could hurt your score if you aren't ready by then, but taking it later could risk getting an interview, but you may have a better MCAT score, making you more competitive. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but help you to see both sides of the coin...

For everyone planning on Commuting, The summer will not be too bad, except for beach traffic, but early in the AM it should be ok, the afternoon might suck... But if you are going to be commuting during the winter, remember you may need to leave REALLY early because the LIE has a lot of accidents that close it when it snows. NYCOM also does not close for inclement weather that often. This years' snowstorm was the first time it closed in 5 years. Also remember that you will most likely have 8AM quizzes, that you cannot make up. NYCOM has a strict it dosen't matter why you were late, your going to be a doctor policy. Be sure to plan accordingly in inclement weather, or consider renting 5-10 mins away for the convenience, but living at home has its benefits! food, laundry, and no rent... Just be careful not to miss quizzes/ tests due to the time it takes to commute in inclement weather

Hi, this my first post here on SDN. I have been reading many threads with enthusiasm, and many of my questions have already been answered. So thank you ;)

But I was wondering... I am currently studying for the MCAT (july 16th) and wish to only apply to NYCOM. I am an instate applicant, with 4.0 gpa and many EC activities.
I understand that NYCOM interviews late, let's assume I will be one of the "lucky" ones to be interviewed, will my "sort of late MCAT" lower my chances of acceptance?

Thanks in advance :)

Nice GPA and since u say u have good EC's, a good LOR and descent MCAT should do the magic. But, don't you think applying to just nycom is a bit risky?? If i were you, even if i had the perfect grades and even if my mind was only geared toward NYCOM, i would apply to at least 2 or more schools. It should give you a peace of mind that way... betting on just one college is i think too risky regardless of your stats.

Question to NYCOM students: What formats are the exams in? Multiple choice, short answers, essays?

Hi, this my first post here on SDN. I have been reading many threads with enthusiasm, and many of my questions have already been answered. So thank you ;)

But I was wondering... I am currently studying for the MCAT (july 16th) and wish to only apply to NYCOM. I am an instate applicant, with 4.0 gpa and many EC activities.
I understand that NYCOM interviews late, let's assume I will be one of the "lucky" ones to be interviewed, will my "sort of late MCAT" lower my chances of acceptance?

Thanks in advance :)

Also, being an instate applicant has no bearing on your application - NYCOM is a private institution, not a state school. They don't care where you come from.

Also, being an instate applicant has no bearing on your application - NYCOM is a private institution, not a state school. They don't care where you come from.

Not true, NYCOM has a strong preference towards instate, especially local students.

Yes, and they also generally start with NY residents in their first month of interviews, and next branch out to near-by states (NJ, CT...), and finally OOS that are far.

The exams are usually 100 multiple choice questions and 2 hours long. After your written exam, you have a 40 question anatomy practical, in which there is a pin in the cadaver and you write down what the pin is going through, or answer a question such as, which nerve provides parasympathetic innervation to this? After that you will have a 40 min 3 station OMM practical. The anatomy portion will end in December.

Also the anatomy practical is 1 minute per question. When the buzzer goes off you must move to the next cadaver.

Thanks guys for all the responses. There are several reasons for why I only choose NYCOM, mainly family oriented, and of course ...well, I have been there and I just love the campus, plus it is like 8 minutes from where I live.

As for the MCAT, I saved it for the summer since I am working as a Personal Trainer, volunteering, and preparing for Finals for 5 classes.
I decided this January to save the MCAT for the summer, focus on school to maintain 4.0 (especially with anatomy class) and then study hard during my few weeks off.
However, I am now thinking about rescheduling MCAT date to a month earlier "and just taking it". What do you think? I hope my class mates don't read this because I ALWAYS preach on how one shall not take the MCAT until 100% prepared and confident. :rolleyes:

I am scoring in the low 20s right now without having studied. Will my 4.0 GPA be enough to make me somewhat competitive?
I have volunteered +650 hours in ER under the guidance of a NYCOM graduate DO.
I shadowed an MD in orthoped.
150 hours at pediatricians (have LOR from all 3 physcians)
I am a Personal Trainer and Nutr. Advisor at a gym here. I moved here from Europe 4 years ago all by myself to fullfill my dream. I learned english, etc... work off my butt in school, especially when I first came here. English was not that easy, especially in Sciences.
I also have a volunteer position right now once a week.

So... sorry for this long thread :laugh:, what should I do? Take the MCAT soon, but score a few points less, or wait till July and do a little better?

Also, I am getting my primary ready right now, so that the only thing still in the "air" are my MCAT scores

thanks again for all the answers

Follow your own advice, then - don't take the MCAT until you feel prepared. If you don't do well, you'll be out all that cash and in a pretty crappy position!

thanks christina....

oh, and I am "old" :laugh:

You're age is definitely not an issue lol. I second what Christina said. Save yourself some cash and disappointment. Take the MCAT when you feel like you're ready. If you think you can definitely improve your score if you take the July MCAT, go for it. I took mine in July & it worked out for me. :)

Thanks guys for all the responses. There are several reasons for why I only choose NYCOM, mainly family oriented, and of course ...well, I have been there and I just love the campus, plus it is like 8 minutes from where I live.

As for the MCAT, I saved it for the summer since I am working as a Personal Trainer, volunteering, and preparing for Finals for 5 classes.
I decided this January to save the MCAT for the summer, focus on school to maintain 4.0 (especially with anatomy class) and then study hard during my few weeks off.
However, I am now thinking about rescheduling MCAT date to a month earlier "and just taking it". What do you think? I hope my class mates don't read this because I ALWAYS preach on how one shall not take the MCAT until 100% prepared and confident. :rolleyes:

I am scoring in the low 20s right now without having studied. Will my 4.0 GPA be enough to make me somewhat competitive?
I have volunteered +650 hours in ER under the guidance of a NYCOM graduate DO.
I shadowed an MD in orthoped.
150 hours at pediatricians (have LOR from all 3 physcians)
I am a Personal Trainer and Nutr. Advisor at a gym here. I moved here from Europe 4 years ago all by myself to fullfill my dream. I learned english, etc... work off my butt in school, especially when I first came here. English was not that easy, especially in Sciences.
I also have a volunteer position right now once a week.

So... sorry for this long thread :laugh:, what should I do? Take the MCAT soon, but score a few points less, or wait till July and do a little better?

Also, I am getting my primary ready right now, so that the only thing still in the "air" are my MCAT scores

thanks again for all the answers

I did a similar thing. My gpa was lower than yours 3.8 and definitely lower ECs than you ~ 300 volunteer + 150 research...shadow etc etc (so you are in a better shape in that aspect) I thought similar as you and knew that i can never be fully prepared for MCAT. I just studied for few weeks, aimed for upper twenties and BAM. done. Since you have good GPA, you can aim for upper twenties ~27 28 instead of 30+. The goal is easier to reach and feels better when you are studying lol. :laugh: But you should know, you never know so its best to aim highest possible. I personally hated studying for MCAT so i shortened it as much as i can.

And will be living in the Hofstra dorm since I live so far away. Is anyone else here going to be living there? And I also heard that they will be giving a stipend in the amount of $1,500. This is what the lady who called me about the program told me. In case anyone is still wondering.

The exams are usually 100 multiple choice questions and 2 hours long. After your written exam, you have a 40 question anatomy practical, in which there is a pin in the cadaver and you write down what the pin is going through, or answer a question such as, which nerve provides parasympathetic innervation to this? After that you will have a 40 min 3 station OMM practical. The anatomy portion will end in December.
What does OMM stand for?:confused:

And will be living in the Hofstra dorm since I live so far away. Is anyone else here going to be living there? And I also heard that they will be giving a stipend in the amount of $1,500. This is what the lady who called me about the program told me. In case anyone is still wondering.
I'm from Upstate NY. I would live in Hofstra if I can't find any cheap apartment. All the landlords I've called so far wouldn't let me rent their places for only a month. As of present, I'm not sure.
I know the stipend is $1600, but we'll have to buy textbooks, too.

I'm from Upstate NY. I would live in Hofstra if I can't find any cheap apartment. All the landlords I've called so far wouldn't let me rent their places for only a month. As of present, I'm not sure.
I know the stipend is $1600, but we'll have to buy textbooks, too.

No luck in rental as landlords aren't interested in renting out for only one month. As for textbooks, I believe someone mentioned that we'll be getting free books. Take it with a grain of salt though as it's only hearsay, but it sure would be nice! :p

how good is nycom with financial aid? i.e. institutional grants...etc...
(not inclusive of loans).

especially if you are in the lower lower financial tier....i.e. super poor...

thanks

how good is nycom with financial aid? i.e. institutional grants...etc...
(not inclusive of loans).

especially if you are in the lower lower financial tier....i.e. super poor...

thanks

DO schools don't really have huge endowments like MD schools. This means they don't really give out merit scholarships or grants.

on another note- i think nycom really needs to update their website. it looks horrible and has nothing useful for applicants or even incoming students.

Last edited:
on another note- i think nycom really needs to update their website. it looks horrible and has nothing useful for applicants or even incoming students.[/QUOTE said:
So true; the site is so useless!

You could look into last year's forums & see if anyone from the march interviews was offered acceptance without waitlist

I finally got my packet for med prep! Is anyone else living in the dorms? Also, is anyone else moving into the dorm on the 24th? (I have to so I will make 8am at NYCOM on the 25th)