NYCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DoctorBoom, as soon as I read your post I ran straight to my mailbox! :laugh:

Feels good to finally get some more information after all these months.

Yes it is!!...hopefully financial aid is next.

Members don't see this ad.

I kinda chuckled when I read "classof2014......isgreat" :laugh:

What is the schedule like for the first semester? I heard it's LONG. Like 8-5. Am I right or wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the schedule like for the first semester? I heard it's LONG. Like 8-5. Am I right or wrong?

we dont really know yet, they'll start updating stuff on the webboard mid summer-ish

You could look into last year's forums & see if anyone from the march interviews was offered acceptance without waitlist

I was accepted after a March 3rd interview, but it seems from what I've read here that anyone who interviewed much later than that was just competing for a waitlist spot.

we dont really know yet, they'll start updating stuff on the webboard mid summer-ish

From the look of past classes like 2013 2012 etc, i don't think they update the webboard at all. Or maybe we can't see it as class of 2014. :sleep:

From the look of past classes like 2013 2012 etc, i don't think they update the webboard at all. Or maybe we can't see it as class of 2014. :sleep:

Dude I can see a decent amount of stuff for Class of 2013. Everything from books, orientation week schedule, housing information, insurance forms etc etc.

I really think they'll be updating our stuff at least a month or so before classes/orientation etc.:xf::xf:

The schedule for first year is, in fact, from 8-5 for first years, with exams every Monday. I've learned by asking around at NYCOM - and thats been the general consensus.

^I saw some stuff that was updated/uploaded on 5/11/2009, so I assume they'll start putting stuff up in a similar timely fashion for 2010 :D

I finally got my packet for med prep! Is anyone else living in the dorms? Also, is anyone else moving into the dorm on the 24th? (I have to so I will make 8am at NYCOM on the 25th)

They have dorms? Are they undergrad? How expensive are they? If it's a lot of medical students it would be worth it just to meet people I think.

They have dorms? Are they undergrad? How expensive are they? If it's a lot of medical students it would be worth it just to meet people I think.

The dorms aren't even on NYCOM/NYIT's campus. NYCOM doesn't offer dorms for its med students - you have to rent an apartment somewhere in the surrounding area. But I believe for med prep they're offering dorms on Hofstra's campus? One of those other area schools, if I remember correctly.

I finally got my packet for med prep! Is anyone else living in the dorms? Also, is anyone else moving into the dorm on the 24th? (I have to so I will make 8am at NYCOM on the 25th)
I won't move in on the 24th because I'll have to pay $33 extra. That money should go to my hotel fee as I'll be touring NYC on the 24th :D
Btw, do you know whether the bus will pick us up at 7:15 AM on May 25th???

@softmed: MedPrepers are going to live on Hofstra undergrad campus from May 25 to July 2. It costs $1263 ($33/day).

8-5......thats like high school all over again... i hope nycom didn't have that attendance policy...sigh..

Members don't see this ad :)
not all medical schools at 8-5. i think this schedule is as long as it can be. most schools have half days during the week.

i wonder when they expect us to even study.

not all medical schools at 8-5. i think this schedule is as long as it can be. most schools have half days during the week.

i wonder when they expect us to even study.

Somewhere in previous posts some people study less than 3 hours a day and says they do fine. still.. this will take some time to get used to.. +pity+

NYCOM also finishes anatomy by December and to accomplish this you have to take double the amount of anatomy labs per week, when compared to other Schools. After Dec you will have half days once a week, or more, and at least 1 week day off per week, on top of that. I really wouldn't be too worried about the schedule. Obviously the previous 3 class years have graduated after doing the same thing... Most but not all of the days, are 8-5, with an exam on a Monday every 2 to three weeks.

NYCOM also finishes anatomy by December and to accomplish this you have to take double the amount of anatomy labs per week, when compared to other Schools. After Dec you will have half days once a week, or more, and at least 1 week day off per week, on top of that. I really wouldn't be too worried about the schedule. Obviously the previous 3 class years have graduated after doing the same thing... Most but not all of the days, are 8-5, with an exam on a Monday every 2 to three weeks.

why the rush with trying to get through anatomy so quickly.
is the 8-5 schedule a full 8-5 with just a lunch break? or are there breaks in between some classes.

why the rush with trying to get through anatomy so quickly.
is the 8-5 schedule a full 8-5 with just a lunch break? or are there breaks in between some classes.

They probably get through anatomy so quickly because they want to keep the cadavers fresh for as long as possible. Anatomy is also the basis of all the organ systems of the body. Once you find where all the systems are, then you can start to study each system individually.

I just withdrew. Best of luck to those still on the waitlist!!!:)

AN 8-5 day consists of a one hour lunch break at 12, and 10 min breaks every hour. Most of your days until December will be 8-5, but not just of class, this is also for Anatomy lab and OMM lab built into the 8-5 days. Their are several reasons the anatomy portion was stepped up, 1. The students asked for it this way. 2. The bodies are easier to dissect while fresh, and smell a lot better too. 3. Instead of trifecta exam days, Written, OMM, and Anatomy, for the entire year, you only have to deal with it for half a year. 4. When you are learning about the body in the systems it is a lot easier to understand if you already know the anatomy. In all you will like the schedule this way once you see how it is. You will love getting out of anatomy early!

AN 8-5 day consists of a one hour lunch break at 12, and 10 min breaks every hour. Most of your days until December will be 8-5, but not just of class, this is also for Anatomy lab and OMM lab built into the 8-5 days. Their are several reasons the anatomy portion was stepped up, 1. The students asked for it this way. 2. The bodies are easier to dissect while fresh, and smell a lot better too. 3. Instead of trifecta exam days, Written, OMM, and Anatomy, for the entire year, you only have to deal with it for half a year. 4. When you are learning about the body in the systems it is a lot easier to understand if you already know the anatomy. In all you will like the schedule this way once you see how it is. You will love getting out of anatomy early!

do you think there is enough time to study? how many hours do you put in a day?

There is time to study. The amount that is put in depends on how far away from an exam you are. If you are 3 weeks out then about 4 hours a day, 2 weeks out 6ish hours, and on the week before the exam especially that last weekend 12+ hours in one day. Class averages on exams are usually 86-92% so Id say most people find time to study. You will need time management though, and Im not going to lie to you, you will be getting less sleep on a preceding test week. Just try and relax, all of you will do fine in Medical School, or you would not have been accepted. It will take some adjustment in your lifestyle, but that is what the first 6 weeks are for, they will gradually increase your workload over the first six weeks, to help you get used to working at that level.

im currently a first year. heres my opinion on classes

1. the global health classes are a complete waste of time... lol
2. for fundamentals, if you did well in college, then you should do fine. but the material is really all over the place. once you finish fundamentals, it gets better.
3. classes are quite long... but that only lasts 2 months. and then it gets better after that.

Question: Does NYCOM allow the opportunity for third-year elective rotation? If yes, can I rotate in any department I like? Is there a restriction?

Our class (2011) is the first to have a third year elective. It's a 4 week block at the end of the year and yes, you can do anything that you'd like. It's nice because whatever you decide to do will count towards your fourth year requirements (for example, if you do radiology, you won't have to do it again during fourth year).

I know this may be a personal question, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how much additional money I will need to take out aside from tuition. i was thinking to take around $25,000, for rent, gas, car insurance, utilities, and otherbills. Plus i want to somewhat live a normal lifestyle. Does anybody have any idea of a range some students take out? Do med school students ever have trouble getting the loans if the have decent credit?

Factor rent in as 550-800 per month, Utilities ~120/ month -electric, ~200/ month gas, ~90-110/ month cable, (these are all split with roommates if you will have any) Gas depends on your car, its usually around $3 a gallon around NYCOM, Car insurance is variable, Health insurance through the school is ~$5000, Food costs are variable. Leisure costs are variable... Hope this helps you to make a estimate...

Has anyone who's on the waitlist gotten accepted yet?

Nope, still waiting. From previous threads, it looks like they start taking people off in early June. Just a few more weeks until walks to the mailbox result in mini heart attacks.

Nope, still waiting. From previous threads, it looks like they start taking people off in early June. Just a few more weeks until walks to the mailbox result in mini heart attacks.

Has anyone who's on the waitlist gotten accepted yet?

Do either of you know about how many are on the waitlist? or have called the admissions office for any other information on the waitlist.

Hey guys I know I said earlier, like way earlier that I was wait listed for HCOP on an interview back in Feb 3rd but now I found out I was wrong. I called them recently and they told me that I was removed from the HCOP and placed on the normal wait list because I did not qualify. BTW when did both of you have your interviews. Thanks.

I interviewed back in the first week of December.

Not sure how many people are on the waitlist, hoping it's small enough to let most of them off.

so what is the average MCAT score for NYCOM? I'am thinking about applying next year.

Health insurance through the school is ~$5000

Holy freaking crap

Are they nuts? What does it include back messages and a personal trainer?

On another note, did anyone else notice on the form when you were accepted for prerequisites they have a requirement for "Inorganic Chemistry"? I had to laugh, because the person who made it up doesn't realize that Inorganic Chemistry is completely different than freshman chemistry.

On another note, did anyone else notice on the form when you were accepted for prerequisites they have a requirement for "Inorganic Chemistry"? I had to laugh, because the person who made it up doesn't realize that Inorganic Chemistry is completely different than freshman chemistry.

General chemistry IS considered inorganic chemistry. Upper-level inorganic chemistry courses are really just advanced gen chem. And yes, I was a chem major who took both gen chem AND inorganic chem.

Inorganic chemistry, by definition, includes the chemistry of, well, everything that ISN'T carbon. So what we call "General Chemistry" also fits that description.

Health insurance is 5000???? someone posted it was around 1500 before....whos right????

Health insurance is 5000???? someone posted it was around 1500 before....whos right????

if you look at the budget they gave you during the interview, i think it said something along the lines of $4000?

if you look at the budget they gave you during the interview, i think it said something along the lines of $4000?

The lady said those were just numbers to play with and not to get scared by it so i really paid no attention to it. It shouldnt be 4000...that does not make sense.

well it's not that far fetched. i paid something like 3.5k for health insurance during grad school

8-5 and a test every Monday seems pretty brutal. Can anyone from NYCOM ease my worries or is it as bad as it sounds...

That means every single weekend is devoted to studying, while your weekdays are shot as well.

@DoctorBoom- I looked it up for you... It is $1500 for half a year, which is $4,000 a year. It is very comprehensive though, Medical, Hospital (emergency room), dental and prescriptions...

@premedmind- There is definitely not an exam every monday. There is usually an exam on a monday every 2 to 3 weeks. For the first few weeks though They will give you a short quiz each week to get you used to the types of questions you will face on the exams... Its not that bad, you get really used to it. Its going to be hard, Its Medical School, But it is going to be passable

the first 2 months of medical school is not easy, especially at NYCOM. a lot of the material you learn will be review from undergraduate basic sciences, but the sheer volume of material thrown at you each day from 8-5, 5 days a week will be sickening. I'm not trying to scare you, I made honors in Intro, but I had to bust my butt to get through it. From what I hear, intro system is the one where most people fail and remediate. I dont have source for this, but this is the general consensus I got amongst friends. Come to NYCOM preparing to work every single day and hour. If you study every day, you will be fine. This is the best advice I can give you for surviving intro, WEEKENDS --> STUDY!!! dont slack off on weekends or I promise you, it will come back to haunt you the weekend before your exam.

Its not easy preparing for two weeks of material ~50-70 lecture hours along with your OMM practical and Anatomy practical every 2nd week. I will say this again, keep studying, and continue studying. After the first 2-3 months, I promise you, IT WILL GET BETTER.

So give a tap on your back aond congratulate yourself for getting this far, but seriously, prepare for boot camp, literally. The exams are very fair IF you STUDY. IF you study, you will not fail! and do everything you can to not get behind! you will get 3 hours of sleep each night if you have to to keep up with the material. if you get behind, you will get behind until the exam time, unless you learn those material superficially. good luck and best wishes to the incoming class, you guys will do great. just study and dont slack.

did i mention you needed to study? STUDY!

Last edited:
@DoctorBoom- I looked it up for you... It is $1500 for half a year, which is $4,000 a year. It is very comprehensive though, Medical, Hospital (emergency room), dental and prescriptions...

@premedmind- There is definitely not an exam every monday. There is usually an exam on a monday every 2 to 3 weeks. For the first few weeks though They will give you a short quiz each week to get you used to the types of questions you will face on the exams... Its not that bad, you get really used to it. Its going to be hard, Its Medical School, But it is going to be passable

Thank you for the info NYDOC.

so....does anybody know how long it takes to get a tutition loans from banks?? just worried since there is absolutely know info on tution + FAFSA yet....and there are less than 3months left before school starts..

The exams are both multiple-choice and short answers, right?

No, the lecture based exams are purely multiple choice. OMM exams often have a short answer component while anatomy practicals require you to identify a structure or its innervation (usually a 1-2 word answer).

General chemistry IS considered inorganic chemistry. Upper-level inorganic chemistry courses are really just advanced gen chem. And yes, I was a chem major who took both gen chem AND inorganic chem.

Inorganic chemistry, by definition, includes the chemistry of, well, everything that ISN'T carbon. So what we call "General Chemistry" also fits that description.

I know this. But then again, there is no difference between organic and inorganic chemistry. They're just the names of courses, correct? So on their form they should have wrote "General Chemistry" and "Organic Chemistry".

Dose anyone know the name of the other person who is in admissions other than Rodika Zaika. Thanks in advance.

Dose anyone know the name of the other person who is in admissions other than Rodika Zaika. Thanks in advance.

There are several people in Admissions other than Rodika - Joanne Kentoffio, Ramon Villongco, Taryn Croot...

check your mail people.
i got a letter with my ID number.

edit-
i cant seem to log into their system. maybe it is too early

Last edited: