NYCOM, DMU vs OUCOM (in-state)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U4iA

εὐφορία
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on which school to choose between NYCOM, DMU and OUCOM (I am an Ohio resident). I have done a lot of research but I am interested in what other SDNers have to say about these schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm.....

My advice...go wherever makes you happy. I chose medical school on personal preferences. Like you, I am a Ohio resident and got accepted to OUCOM and other schools. I turned down OUCOM because I thought NSUCOM had better hospitals to rotate through. As for turning down DMU, I didn't like the idea of spending 2 years in Iowa and then going to Ohio for rotations and still paying DMU tuition. I would rather pay OUCOM tuition and do OUCOM rotations if I was going to be shipped to Ohio for rotations. As for NYCOM, living in NY is a killer on the wallet. I chose NSUCOM because of the weather, location, relatively cheap tuition, and great clinical rotations. I thought this school would better by my chances of getting a medical education and becoming a great physician. However, I have come to realize that medical school is what you put into it. There are a lot of bitter people in my class because all they do is study and complain how things in life are not going for them. As for myself, I enjoy every minute I can. Don't get me wrong, I study hard but not to the point where it kills me and I complain like others do. The outcome of the medical school you choose to attend is all based on you and your personality/lifestyle.

I chose OUCOM for a number of reasons. I am an Ohio resident so the tuition was very reasonable, the city of Athens is very nice and I really like the area, the people at the school really impressed me with their kindness, OUCOM seems to have a great support system for its students, I have met and spoken with a number of former students that were very happy with their experience and felt that they were well trained, and when I went there for the interview I had a good gut feeling about the place. Also I really liked the CORE hospital system as well as the curricular options and the large amount of early clinical contact the students get. Those are reasons that I chose the school, but I would ask you to sit back and think about which one felt right when you were there. It has been my experience that the right decision is the one that your gut tells you. Always go with your first instinct. If NYCOM or DMU felt right go there is OU felt right I will talk to you in the fall.