NYCOM MS3/4s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtleboard

SDN Advisor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you guys give me the lowdown on your affiliates and what's the best site to choose for each rotation in the third year? Just curious. Our two schools happen to share a couple of sites (Maimo and Brookdale come to mind), and wonder how your students' experiences compare with our students'. Thanks.

W.

Members don't see this ad.

Turtleboard,

We share, Maimo, Brookdale and LIJ-Hillside Hospital (for psych) with you. We go to Maimo and Brookdale for Medicine, Ob/Gyn, Pediatrics, Surgery, and Family Practice and Psychiatry. The Peds rotation at Miamo is very good. Dr. Schaeffer does an excellent job in doing the lectures and acting as the preceptor. Lots of hands on experience is offered at Maimo in Peds. The peds rotation at Brookdale is sort of a "do it yourself rotation". You really have to be there and seem intrested in order to learn anything. If you're not there, they don't care. The Ross students who were on the rotation when I was there used to come in at 8:00 in the morning and leave at 11:00 in the morning and no one really cared. So, it was usually me and one my buddies from Downstate (Omega) who were constantly on the floor.

I did Medicine at Maimo. Although, the teaching is very good for the medicine rotation, the environment sucks. Usually the Downstate students are on Kronish 3 while the students from NYCOM and St. George's are stationed on Kronish 5 or 7 West or 7 East. I personally didn't like my medicine rotation at Maimo. The residents were eager to scut you and the residency director was quick to pimp you, riducule and insult you if you couldn't answer his questions. Speaking as a student who lives 60 miles from Maimo, the hours also sucked (7:00 AM SHARP to whenever you get out). I had to get up at 4:00 AM to beat traffic on the Belt. The food sucked too.

I did psych at LIJ. One of the best rotations that I ever did in my life. There was a lot of teaching and the fellow that I worked with was great. The hours were great (8 AM to 4:30 PM). The food was great. I usually hung out with a colleague from NYCOM and Pushpal and George a couple of Downstate students.

Pushpal! His name rings a bell, but I can't seem to match it with a face.

Thanks for the lowdown on your sites.

W.