MS3 --recently interested in ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemmonhead

Your ego is not your amigo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some input from people who are going for ENT.

I'm an MS3 who recently discovered I like the OR way more than I thought I would. I had a chance to work with some ENTs and really enjoyed my time studying those cases though I have NOT had a formal ENT rotation. I am a bit concerned as I realize I have to make a decision regarding my future specialty relatively soon and ENT, should I choose to pursue it, is quite competitive. A bit of background...

Step 1 250+ and Level 1 700+
Top 10%
Honors in IM, no other clinical grades to report
Lots of student leadership (ie. Class president, founder of several organizations, etc)
One 2nd author publication in vascular surgery prior to medical school; one case report publication submitted from EM rotation

I recognize I am in a strong place academically but am wondering if that is enough for something as competitive as ENT...anecdotes welcome

Questions:
When is the latest that I need to decide speciality so that I have a chance at landing some audition rotations?
How can I demonstrate an interest in the field despite not having had a rotation in the field?
How important will it be to have research if I plan on applying to former AOA programs?

Please let me know anything else you think I should know.

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it could still be possible, you've set yourself up with the correct academic profile but need to create a plan. You need to reach out to some ENT residents and get advice from them directly. Obviously you need to focus your efforts on former AOA programs.

Oh and the standard advice to anyone pursuing a competitive specialty, have a back up.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes it could still be possible, you've set yourself up with the correct academic profile but need to create a plan. You need to reach out to some ENT residents and get advice from them directly. Obviously you need to focus your efforts on former AOA programs.

Oh and the standard advice to anyone pursuing a competitive specialty, have a back up.

We matched a few people to ENT last year.. I will reach out to them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you have good numbers. The only thing that I think could boost your CV further is an ENT publication. The latest you would want to wait to decide on specialty is January 3rd year. At that time you need to start calling and trying to set up audition rotations. As a D.O aiming for ENT auditions are key. You need to look good on paper and impress in person. If I were you I would only audition at former AOA programs. The residents and attendings there will give you a fair shot as a D.O. If you rotate at former AOA programs do 2 week auditions so that you can fit more in and see more programs. Doing 2 week versus 4 week won't hurt your chances of matching at a program.
ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)
That link will take you to the ACGME website that lists all the former AOA programs. The osteopathic opportunities website is never up to date so I wouldn't use it.
If your school is associated with a former AOA ENT residency I would get in touch with them and try to make it to didactics, shadow the residents/attendings etc. If you aren't able to do that try to set up an elective 3rd year so that you can get a feel for the specialty before your auditions.
https://www.entnet.org/sites/default/files/Oto-Primary-Care-WEB.pdf
That links to a free ENT text book. Its about 130 pages and I would read it before your elective as a 3rd year as it gives you a solid foundation in the field. Its an easy read.

So bottom line start game planning now for an elective your 3rd year, try to get some ENT research, read that book, and check out the website to figure out what former AOA programs you want to audition at. Any more questions feel free to ask!

Reactions: 1 users
you have good numbers. The only thing that I think could boost your CV further is an ENT publication. The latest you would want to wait to decide on specialty is January 3rd year. At that time you need to start calling and trying to set up audition rotations. As a D.O aiming for ENT auditions are key. You need to look good on paper and impress in person. If I were you I would only audition at former AOA programs. The residents and attendings there will give you a fair shot as a D.O. If you rotate at former AOA programs do 2 week auditions so that you can fit more in and see more programs. Doing 2 week versus 4 week won't hurt your chances of matching at a program.
ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)
That link will take you to the ACGME website that lists all the former AOA programs. The osteopathic opportunities website is never up to date so I wouldn't use it.
If your school is associated with a former AOA ENT residency I would get in touch with them and try to make it to didactics, shadow the residents/attendings etc. If you aren't able to do that try to set up an elective 3rd year so that you can get a feel for the specialty before your auditions.
https://www.entnet.org/sites/default/files/Oto-Primary-Care-WEB.pdf
That links to a free ENT text book. Its about 130 pages and I would read it before your elective as a 3rd year as it gives you a solid foundation in the field. Its an easy read.

So bottom line start game planning now for an elective your 3rd year, try to get some ENT research, read that book, and check out the website to figure out what former AOA programs you want to audition at. Any more questions feel free to ask!

Thanks so much! Will look into the rotations and research further this week.

Reactions: 1 user