NYCOM or TouroCOM (NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pqrs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, pretend you were accepted to both for Fall 2013, which would you choose and why?

Here's my personal pros and cons for each:

Nycom
Pros
-Relatively well established
-DPC pathway possibility
-Generally seen as a 'better school'

Cons
-High attrition
-OMM focused research only
TouroCOM
Pros
-Location (I also currently live in NYC, so it's location is a huge pro for me)
-Visible camaraderie, school cares about students
-Slight basic sciences research emphasis

Cons
-Less established
-Despite being in NYC, no clinical rotations in NYC. Can't know if this will change in three years.
-Mandatory Itunes podcast video lectures... I've never really learned from anything other than a text book before. :confused:

Really evaluating their rotation sites and match lists shows they are pretty comparable.

In the end I think I would choose TouroCOM but I'm not sure. What about you guys? I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of things out here. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Where are the rotations for touro?

Also, how can videos be mandatory?

Personally, if all is even, I'd go with the favorable location.

same issues. not sure about clinicals. do they still allow students to do cores outside of the network"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a map: www.tourocomsga.com/rotations/rotation-site-map/

SGU came in and struck a deal with NYC hospitals giving them plenty of five borough clinical sites while excluding Touro, Mt Sinai and even cornell and nyu.

I could be wrong but I was under the impression they expect you to watch podcasts and know the material before coming to class, where it is examined in greater detail and there are group discussions and clicker questions. It's a clever way of lessening the teaching burden on professors, whom have to teach only half the usual amount of time because most of the lecture is prerecorded.

Yes I believe that is the format- I dont remember but attendance was mandatory for these little quizzes- not sure how much its weighted.

Touro- (from previous threads)

Not sure about Touro allowing other sites tbh. I expect its like other schools where third year must be at one of their sites but electives can be done anywhere.

You are mistaken about NYCOM research being only OMM based. Here is the list of current professor's active research initiative.
http://nyit.edu/nycom/research/projects/

NYCOM actually has a very renown Anatomy research sector and Neuroscience, with strong emphasis on Parkinson's Disease.

Hey guys, pretend you were accepted to both for Fall 2013, which would you choose and why?

The school-specific forum exists for a reason.

You are mistaken about NYCOM research being only OMM based. Here is the list of current professor's active research initiative.
http://nyit.edu/nycom/research/projects/

NYCOM actually has a very renown Anatomy research sector and Neuroscience, with strong emphasis on Parkinson's Disease.

Wow that page has certainly been updated since I last saw it, but I still feel it has a very strong OMM/anatomy/public health emphasis. Only a few projects seem to focus on hard science, and of those that do a lot are rooted in pathology. Just my impression...

Reactions: 1 user
A much needed thread...can other ppl weigh in on this though?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Touro does have rotations in NYC. Just not Manhattan. During the interview they were talking about having a bunch of hospitals around the school. I don't really get why they were talking about that considering they don't have rotations sites at any of those hospitals. I also noticed they do not have many community service programs or shadowing opportunities for students at hospitals.

They said they were trying to get some spots at harlem hospital. They probably have been trying for years though..

It is a brand new school so they are still working on stuff. This BS deal between the carrib med school and NYC is really screwing Touro though.

Regardless, I feel like this school will become more and more competitive and possibly become a top school just solely because it is in NYC. Just look at the MD schools in the city. All great schools. It will take time but they will eventually strike some deals with hospitals around manhattan.

As for classes, they have the iTunes lectures and then a Q&A session once a week. I am not 100% if those are mandatory because they didn't really make that too clear.

For me, it will definitely be between NYCOM and Touro. I have my interview at NYCOM in January though because the storm forced them to reschedule me :thumbdown:thumbdown

It would be really nice if any Touro students could chime in and give some feedback on their experience so far and if they have any inside info on rotations and such.

It would be really nice if any Touro students could chime in and give some feedback on their experience so far and if they have any inside info on rotations and such.

Check out the school specific discussions for this year and previous years. I know DocE has posted A LOT about this kinda stuff for Touro.