NYCOM Policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCbaby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows NYCOM policies in regards pregnancy and anatomy lab? I know some schools let you take the lab the following year with the incoming class. You still do class with your classmates, just deffer the anatomy lab. Other schools switch the pregnant woman to computer dissection and she takes separate exam with minimal exposure in the anatomy lab, no more than 1 hr at a time.
Been searching like crazy about info in regards NYCOM and couldn't find anything. Most school have their policies in regards pregnancy very trasparent and can be found in the Stundet Hnadbok on their webside in PDF format, but not NYCOM.
Any help is tremendously appreciated
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone knows NYCOM policies in regards pregnancy and anatomy lab? I know some schools let you take the lab the following year with the incoming class. You still do class with your classmates, just deffer the anatomy lab. Other schools switch the pregnant woman to computer dissection and she takes separate exam with minimal exposure in the anatomy lab, no more than 1 hr at a time.
Been searching like crazy about info in regards NYCOM and couldn't find anything. Most school have their policies in regards pregnancy very trasparent and can be found in the Stundet Hnadbok on their webside in PDF format, but not NYCOM.
Any help is tremendously appreciated
Thanks

I would recommend calling the admissions office (maybe as an anonymous student) and ask them about this. They probably won't know the answer, but they'll tell you who you can contact to find your answer.

Good luck

From the current NYCOM student handbook:

"C. ANATOMY LAB POLICY
The College is adopting a policy in order to eliminate the possibility of an unhealthy exposure in the anatomy lab to pregnant students. Although there is no definitive scientific evidence to date that the 26 organic compounds used to preserve cadaver tissue are teratogenic at the levels to which a student would be exposed, there is a dearth of research involving pregnant human subjects upon which a recommendation can be made to include them in the lab at this time. In order to provide a suitable practical experience in human anatomy, and in keeping with our integrated systems approach, the anatomy faculty will facilitate a virtual laboratory curriculum for those selfidentified pregnant students. They will be expected to attend didactic lectures and sit for the written exam component along with their colleagues, and will be given an equivalent practical exam. If you are currently pregnant and scheduled to be in the anatomy lab, please discretely contact the chair of the department of anatomy to make arrangements to be in compliance with this policy."

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a girl in my class, pregnant, and she had no problems with NYCOM's policy. As far as i remeber they accomodated her well.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR THE INFO!
It really helps easy my mind.....
This is such terrific news!
Again, my sincerest thanks for helping me out with this one!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR THE INFO!
It really helps easy my mind.....
This is such terrific news!
Again, my sincerest thanks for helping me out with this one!

No problem. Congrats on your acceptance! :D