nycom questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docstarwars

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

i will be interviewing at nycom this friday, and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how the day was structured and anything else i may need to know. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got this from a previous post (I don't remember which one...It was around Nov. 10th, 11th, or 12th.) You should search for this posting.

Interview Set Up:Everyone arrives around 8:45 am and fills out the secondary. Its basically a brief listing of what would normally appear on a CV or Resume. (you may want to bring one with you so you don't forget to write anything down) There is also a mini essay on why you chose NYCOM or why Osteopathic Medicine. I don't remember which but they only really give you enough space for a brief paragraph. Basically be clear and concise. They'll probably ask you the same questions during your interview so it really may just serve as a way for them to remember you. When you are done with your secondary you hand that in along with your check and passport size photo. There are typically 10 students total to be interviewed. THey split you up into two groups. Five go to one interviewer and 5 go to the other. You go in one at a time. They'll typically tell you the line up sp you don't have to get nervous every time someone comes out. It varies as to whether you get one interviewer or two. After the interview is lunch (provided by te school- they take your lunch order when you hand in the secondary). After lunch is the tour of the school and then the admissions director usually comes in to answer any questions, that is unless he has another appointment. The tour guides are all students and can answer most of your questions, if not the more important ones, even if you don't get to see Mr. Schaeffer. Style of interview Questions:It really depends on who interviews you. When I was interviewed I was asked mostly about my personal interests and why I wanted to come to NYCOM. Some of my friends were asked about what they knew about Osteopathy. Some were asked about activities they put down on their application and about research. I would recommend that you be able to talk about anything you did in a way that proves to them that all those extras weren't just to get into med school and that they're not all you just trying to bull**** them. Not that YOU would try to do that. Know about Osteopathic Medicine and please do not forget ANDREW TAYLOR STILL. I've heard stories about people forgetting "THE GUY'S" name. They got in but its better not to look that stupid. I'd say that overall all most interviews are easy going and are really only to get to know you as well as to see if you can interact with others in a friendly and intellignet way. DON'T LIE, DON'T BULL****, DON'T OVERSELL yourself (you'll only look pompous-sp?). Just be yourself and try to relax. The interview may only take 10 minutes or it may take 40. Neither lenght means anything. My interview was really short and I still got in. POSITIVE THINGS:The block system-Basically four to five weeks of classes and then a week of exams. IT allows you to actually have a few free weekends at the beginning of the block and study at a less intense pace. My class was the first calss they implemented the system on. Its worked for us really well. We ended up begging the admin to continue it on for us this year. Exam week is intense and is extremely tough but I think our overall quality of life is better. Previously the first years had exams every single monday. I'm sure that their grades were a little higher because they studied only one subject for an entire week and blew off everything else til the week before that exam. But I think we learn more and retain more with the block system. There is more time to process the information. Lower grades are probably more of a reflection of sheer fatigue during test week. WE get a month to study for COMLEX. i've heard some schools only get two weeks. Trust me, it makes a big difference when you consider teh volume of material you will have to review before the boards. I'm two months into my second year and probably have a three foot hile pile of notes between last year and this year. TOns of Clinical affiliations- I'm sure you heard lots about this already so I won't go into it. The administration- could also be a con in some ways. THere are always going to be clashes in the way we think our education should be run and the way they think it should be. We difinitely had our share of grumbling last year- this was due to the fact that we felt we were the guinea pigs with the new system. Just to reassure you, the admin was really great about getting feedback and for as much as we complained, they really did their best to iron everything out and make us happy (within reason). I think that the system is a lot stronger this year and they've brought in a lot of new and energized people who are really willing to work with us to improve things. I don't know what us second years would do without our new associate dean. He's really awesome and is really on top of everthing. He's definitely improved the quality of the 2nd year medicine program. The Cons-Every school has theirs.There is a lot of work here. I think we probably do more work that any other med school in NY. We have a lot to prove and a reputation to uphold once we step onto the floors of the hospitals third year. NYCOM students are know to be great med students who are really on top of their game. I think the admisnistration id determined to keep it that way. All that work obviously leads to exhaustion at times, esp. during exam week.We have no cafeteria. There is a lunch stand that sells muffins and sandwiches though. The students-NYCOM is on a H/P/F system which really rules out a lot of competition. I have yet to meet someone unwilling to help out another student. For the most part, we're all under the mentality that we're all in this together and we do our best to get each other through. Social life is obviously not like it was in college but there is the occasional party (usually at least one a block) and there are two huge parties every year: Osteoblast (we rent out a night club for afew hours, open bar, dinner, dj, lots of fun, usually right after the first block for the first years, thrown by the second year class to welcome the first years) and the Semi formal (same deal but everyone gets all spiffy and its at a catering hall, usually in the spring sometime). There are also clubs and informal mountain biking and running clubs. Housing- There is no on campus housing. Most people live in Glen Cove but there are other close by areas. I would first check the housing book in the library for student listings or on the webboard (you'll get the password for it after you get accepted). Acceptance Fee/Deposit-I'm not sure this has changed but I think its 500 to secure your spot and then a few months later another 1000 as a deposit. It all gets credited to your tuition but it is non-refundable. Hope this hepls. What are the 3rd/4th year rotations like? How many electives are there?
I'm a MS II so I really don't feel qualified to comment on the clinical clerkships.
In the second year, NYCOM offers 3 electives: Medical Spanish, ACLS, and Sports Medicine.

Do students match into specialty residencies or are NYCOM grads basically focused more in primary care?
I really don't know the answer to this one. If you really want to know, I suggest you call Admissions and ask them. You could also ask them to send you the most recent match list.

How many students per cadaver in gross Anatomy?
Generally there are 5 to 6 per cadaver.

Are there intramural sports?
Nothing organized. Some students have gotten together and formed a running club and a mountain biking club. There are also some first year vs. second year basket ball games every now and then.

Is there a notetaking service?
No, No note taking service. We do get all the lecture notes however and that is generally sufficient. Even to the point of not needing to buy the text for some classes.

Is there an Osteopathic Hospital affiliation?
As far as I know, there isn't. Mostly because the last purely Osteopathic hospital in New York closed last year.

When do students begin to get patient contact?
Patient contact begins in the third year. If you want contact before then, you could sign up to observe in the Clinic along with the OMM faculty. There is also a program during the summer after first year where you could go into the clinic with the OMM faculty.
How much is the acceptance fee?
There are two deposits. One is $500 due with your acceptance. And $1000 a few months later. THe total $1500 is applied to your tuition.

Are students generally happy at NYCOM? Is there a big portion of the students who wish them had gone somewhere else?
THe answer to this question really depends on who you ask and when. If you ask just before a test block, chances are people won't be too Happy with NYCOM.
NYCOM is a tough school. There is a lot of work and a lot of demands placed on you. You definitely have to be pro-active in the learning process if you are going to do well here. In general, I'm happy with my decision to go to NYCOM though it can be stressful at times.

What does NYCOM offer that sets it apart from other Osteopathic schools?
I really don't know. I don't really know enough about other schools at this point. I'm so used to NYCOM by now. I guess that is really for you to judge based upon your knowledge about all the schools you've applied to. Or if you want a more concrete answer, call up Mike Schaefer, the Admissions director, and ask him. Its as much his job to convice you to chose NYCOM as its yours to convince NYCOM to chose you.

Are YOU happy with your decision, or do you wish you had gone somewhere else?
I am. i know that when I walk out of here, I will have a great education. I really believe in NYCOM's affiliations and its role in the Osteopathic Community at large.

Also, is there something you wish you had known BEFORE you made your decision to attend NYCOM?
No, not really. not about NYCOM. Maybe about medical school in general or the whole admissions process and the pre-med thing. But, not about NYCOM.
NYCOM is a good school. If you are leaning toward the osteopathic way of life then NYCOM is the place for you. You average 4 to 5 hours in class or lab time / week for your entire first and second year.
They recently hired a new dean of medicine. He is doing a great job converting the second year course into logical systems blocks. The first years seem happy with their block systems as well.
If you are accepted at NYCOM, you can expect a pretty tough time of it. They believe that grinding the students is a great way to fix information in a students head. It works. It's not always pretty but it works. You will start off with a deep, comprehensive anatomy course, physio, biochem, histology, micro, and OMM. The list of classes grows and by the time you are in your second year, you will be hard pressed to believe that you've made it through all of them.
The first two years are rough, but thats the price you pay for your 3rd and 4th year rotations, all of which you can do in NYC, Bronx, or Brooklyn. Coming from LA you will undoubtedly have a rough time adjusting to Long Island for the first two years. No sweat, your third and fourth year comes around soon enough. These latter years can be completely urban or a bit countrified if that's your thing. Either way, you'll be getting one of the best medical educations in the world. Speaking of world, I understand that a few of my classmates are attempting to get a 4th year rotation started in Latin America. It will probably be a family practice rotation. So, take a second to think about what you really want from a medical school and then make an educated choice. Either way, four years from now (hopefully), you'll be a physician / surgeon. Congrats on getting into DMU and good luck with the rest of your choices.
Texas_Sam

Hi there Texas Sam ! Have you been involved in any type of tutoring at NYCOM ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually Texas_Sam...I just copied that message from Texas_Sam and posted it.

i'm NOT Texas Sam...