NYCOM reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gmw1386

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start a flame war

I've been an SDNer for about 5 mothes now and after reading different post I've been left with a negative impression of NYCOM, which is very unfortunate because right now it's probably my number one choice. (basically because of location) It also seems like it's one last choices for people. So I was wondering what the SDN community thought about it. (This is dangerous. I'm half regretting posting this.)

Things to included: Match, Faculty, Facilities, Roations, Pass Rate

Members don't see this ad.

Gmw1386 said:
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start a flame war

I've been an SDNer for about 5 mothes now and after reading different post I've been left with a negative impression of NYCOM, which is very unfortunate because right now it's probably my number one choice. (basically because of location) It also seems like it's one last choices for people. So I was wondering what the SDN community thought about it. (This is dangerous. I'm half regretting posting this.)

Seems like it has a good match list.

i interviewed at nycom a few months ago and from what i remember, their match list looked nothing like this. they actually wouldn't let people take the lists with them, which was strange. i'm not sure if this list is genuine or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
mjc48 said:
i interviewed at nycom a few months ago and from what i remember, their match list looked nothing like this. they actually wouldn't let people take the lists with them, which was strange. i'm not sure if this list is genuine or not.
thats wierd.....i could take it w/ me after my interview last year......and their rotations are very good

Gmw1386 said:
So I was wondering what the SDN community thought about it.

I don't think that it matters what anybody else thinks about it, except for you. Go visit the place and talk to the students that go there. They have a much better insight as to what it is like than anyone else on SDN. No matter where you choose to go, you'll become a doctor. So.....shouldn't you go to the school that makes you feel the most comfortable. There are plenty of opinions on SDN, but remember that what is most important to you is not the same thing that is most important to them. Sure, you'll find plenty of people knocking your school for one reason or another, but most of them have never been there. Don't really on them; rely on your own observations. As a physician you'll have to rely on both your own observations and the best evidence available. Believe me, what you hear on SDN is not necessarily the best evidence available. You will find a lot of helpful advice on SDN, but when you ask for what someone else's opinion of a school is, beware of what you will get in return. Good Luck!!!

hi,

as a first year, I feel that the education has been very good.

Now, I am older and pretty self motivated and enjoy learning, but I feel they give you the tools to do well on the boards.

That said I have heard that our COMLEX board pass rates are 82% (national average is 91%) and USMLE pass rate (50%) national average for osteopathic students is (70%). This has not been confirmed w/ administration just what the "word on the street is." So, I don't know what the issue is.

I don't buy the whole reputation bull****. A school is what you make of it. You get out of it what you put in to it. You can go to Harvard and still come out of there knowing a lot less than you are supposed to.

mjc48 said:

Also weird bc when I interviewed and saw the match list, it looked a lot like the above. The matches make sense when you see where nycom students rotate and the exposure they get.

Edit - I mean the 2005 list not the 2004 - the one above is 2004, take a look at the 05 one in the class of 2010 forum

Gmw1386 said:

Match: IMO, one of the best
Faculty: Don't know
Facilities: OMM lab seemed nice. Anatomy lab crowded, its a big school. Gym is tiny. Lectures all streamed same day :D
Rotations: IMO, one of the best
Pass rate: Low. But I'm more interested in knowing the average scores and standard deviation for non-FMG USMLE takers - that would be more useful. In any event, you get out of the boards what you put into them.

mjc48 said:

oh great, another NYCOM conspiracy is going to start. :laugh:

My opinions of NYCOM matched nvshelat's. I must add that I don't really look at board pass rates since I know some schools prevent people from taking them and because I think that if you work hard in years 1-2 you will be rewarded when the time comes.

I'm thinking a good protion of the students in the NYCOM 2010 thread did not have NYCOM as their last choice as the OP has stated.

I have strong feelings that NYCOM's clinical affiliations are the best compared to other osteopathic schools in the NE.

Diversity is important to me as well. NYCOM and a number of other Osteopathic schools have this trait. For some people this is unimportant.

HunterGatherer said:
Diversity is important to me as well. NYCOM and a number of other Osteopathic schools have this trait. For some people this is unimportant.

I know that only UMDNJ (48.6%) and COMP (46.7%) had a greater percentage of ethnic minorities than NYCOM (42.8%) in the last anual report. Do you have any idea on how much of NYCOM's figure is due to APEP students?

Yeah as far as the pass rate goes I think that's more up to me than the school. Just thought I would ask anyway. I totally agree that a school is as good as you make it out to be. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some huge problem with the school.

Gmw1386 said:
Yeah as far as the pass rate goes I think that's more up to me than the school. Just thought I would ask anyway. I totally agree that a school is as good as you make it out to be. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some huge problem with the school.

No idea but the Emigre students account for about 10% of the class. If they are all included that is still is a decent amount.

I go to school out on Long Island and volt. at our univ hospitals ED. There are about 3 NYCOM students rotating in there and from what they have said they loved NYCOM and highly recomended the school. One even went on to say tht hes very thankful he didnt pick his other top choice, NSUCOM!

You also have to realize that many people use this board to vent. Unfortunately, this may put the school in a bad light for some, but I must say that we have a decent school. There is good and bad everywhere, and for the past years there has been alot of transition, but I think all schools have their own dirty laundry.

We get a match list every year, and it is very much like what was posted. We can't post it because it has our names with the files in a pdf format. This year was an awesome year for NYCOM.

I have alot of friends that matched in the very best hospitals, and not just for primary care either. I am so proud!

Also, the clinic at our school has just installed its own EMR system. I hear that the students will have an EMR to learn from and do case studies on. We have the ICC, which is a mock of the COMLEX PE right on campus. You get a play-by-play of your performance right when you're done.

I would say that NYCOM has all the right tools to help you get there, and a good match history that will make it a little easier for you to get in where you like, but at the same time, you have to work for what you want.

There is no coddling at NYCOM. I have said this in a number of my postings, but some disagree with me until they enter the post-clinical years. After the match, its easy, but from first year to match time, it gets tough.

I would do it again at NYCOM, but I think any school that you like would be fine. I know I wanted to stay in NY, especially for training, so this is where I am.

Good luck with your choices everyone.

Gmw1386 said:

70% pass rate, yes it is a problem. That is why school tells you from day one that that don't teach for borad exams, they teach for their own exams. ( Source: NYCOMer 2005).

To remediate the problem, NYCOM now provides free Kaplan tutoring material for Complex/USMLE (Source: NYCOMer 2004).

Passing grade for all NYCOM exams is 70. Average deviation about 7-10 points (Source: NYCOMer 2005).

Let's do D.O. said:
70% pass rate, yes it is a problem. That is why school tells you from day one that that don't teach for borad exams, they teach for their own exams. ( Source: NYCOMer 2005).

To remediate the problem, NYCOM now provides free Kaplan tutoring material for Complex/USMLE (Source: NYCOMer 2004).

Passing grade for all NYCOM exams is 70. Average deviation about 7-10 points (Source: NYCOMer 2005).

out of curiosity wht school has the highest.....doing my own researching ive found diff reports

scpod said:
I know that only UMDNJ (48.6%) and COMP (46.7%) had a greater percentage of ethnic minorities than NYCOM (42.8%) in the last anual report. Do you have any idea on how much of NYCOM's figure is due to APEP students?

Does any one know about the diversity at TUCOM-CA? Since it is a CA school and in the bay area I would expect the diversity to be similar to COMP. Would you know scpod?

KyleSBU said:
out of curiosity wht school has the highest.....doing my own researching ive found diff reports

During one of my mtgs with a UMDNJ adcom, she told me they had the highest (95%+)

KyleSBU said:

UMDNJ and DMU have the highest pass rate for Comlex.
Others can back me up/correct if I am wrong. When I interviewed at DMU, students had nothing but greatest things to say about school, complext pass rate, residency match, faculty etc.

FrogE7 said:
Does any one know about the diversity at TUCOM-CA? Since it is a CA school and in the bay area I would expect the diversity to be similar to COMP. Would you know scpod?

The last ranking (from June 2005) was 24.3% made mostly of Asian/Pacific Islanders. URMs were pretty low at only 1.8%. Only UNECOM and WVSOM rank lower in that category.