NYCOM Rotation Sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that NYCOM has two seperate ways to complete third and fourth year rotations. In addition to the "varia" hospitals that have been NYCOMS forte, President Ross has added the alternative for 3rd and 4th yrs to do their rotations at just one clinical center.

Anyone from NYCOM have any info on this that they can share?

WHAT IS THE CENTER?
DO MANY NYCOMERS CHOOSE THIS OPTION?
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES OF DOING CLINICALS AT JUST ONE SITE?

Thanks to any NYCOMER for taking the time to provide info !!!

Members don't see this ad.

They call it their "clincal campus" program. They have many affiliated hospitals that allow you to do this. I can only rememeber a few so here goes:
1. Nassau County Medical Center
2. Good Samaritan Hospital
3. Wilson Memorial Hospital
4. Union Hospital

and more that I can't remember

Why do people choose this option? Some of the reasons are:
1. location, some people need or want to stay in the same location for reasons of family or as simple as not wanting to move around
2. they may want to do their residency at that hospital
3. and many more reasons that I can't think of right now

Advantages:
1. you don't have to move around to different hospitals every 6-12 weeks
2. getting comfortable in a hospital
3. you get to know how things are done in a certain hospital which is certainly an advantage especially when you're asked to do something
4. you get a chance to get to know the nurses, residents, and attendings so that when it comes down to doing any kind of procedures they'll know you and you'll have a better chance of doing stuff
5. better chance of getting good letters of recommendation because the attendings will know you.
ETC.
Disadvantages:
1. only see one type of patient population
2. only see how one hospital is run (every hospital I have been to is run differently and is organized differently)
3. get a chance to meet many different people who can one day become your network of associates
4. get letters of recommendation from attendings at different hospitals
5. get many different styles of working and teaching
ETC.

Hope this helps!
If you want any more advice, send me a PM.

OMMFellow06 said:
They call it their "clincal campus" program. They have many affiliated hospitals that allow you to do this. I can only rememeber a few so here goes:
1. Nassau County Medical Center
2. Good Samaritan Hospital
3. Wilson Memorial Hospital
4. Union Hospital QUOTE]

You can add St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx), Lutheran Medical Center (Brooklyn), and Newerk Beth-Isreal.....all 3 are level 1 trauma centers and teaching hospitals.

In addition you can add Maimonides (brooklyn) to the list. All excellent hospitals. I am currently doing the regional clinical campus at St. Barnabas (Bronx). Feel free to PM me with questions and I will write back as soon as I'm available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any of those sites be rural for us country folk??

-Dan

dancote said:
Would any of those sites be rural for us country folk??

-Dan

Wilson Memorial is in Johnson City, NY (I believe it's south of Binghamton, NY. That's about as rural/country as it gets)