NYCOM secondary -- Is it ok if I just write on it by hand -- or do i have to type it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have a type writer to type it -- if I write it by hand will that be ok? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is the NYCOM secondary sent to you now? When I applied last year, I got the secondary on the day of my interview, and we all sat there and wrote in our answers by hand. Are they doing it differently now?

If they had mailed it to me, I would do like I did for my other secondaries----type my responses in a Word document, print it out, and then go to the local Office Depot/Kinko's and type in the answers manually. Or you can physically cut up a Word document and paste/staple/tape it onto the application. I thought typing looked the best.

I hope that helped.

they have type writers at kinkos?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it depends on the Kinko's. The one near me does have typewriters. And the OfficeDepot near me has them too. I went to Office Depot, and the use of the typewriter was FREE!!! It is hard to find any friends that have typewriters anymore...... Call the nearest Kinko's and ask...couldn't hurt, right??

I hand wrote every single one of my secondaries (0ver 20) and had great results. Consider typing if you have awful handwriting. Of course, I recommend typing the essay but feel free to fill in the forms with your own penmanship!

Drlexygoat---yeah, my handwriting is, well, less than stellar. And I tend to make mistakes....That's why I went for the typing.

so nobody seems to have a typewriter anywhere -- it is fine if i fill in the NYCOM secondary by hand right? thanks

Yes, I wrote my secondary by hand, and was admitted.

Yep, it seems the consensus is that handwritten secondaries are ok! If i had better handwriting, I would have saved myself a lot of time.....oh well.

Best of luck!

Cut and paste?

Here is another idea...

Type out the answers in word. Then, align your answers to the space allowed in the secondary. Then print or photocopy those answers onto the secondary.

I had a photocopier at home so went that route. I just placed the sheet with my answers over the secondary and held them both up to the light to make sure the alignment and spacing was good, then used to photocopier to transfer the text onto the secondary. :thumbup: ;)

Go to your local library. They should have a typewriter. You may want to make several copies of the secondary and practice fitting in all of your information before you attempt a final draft.

or you could just write neatly! i did. and i even spilled water on my only copy. still got accepted lol.

I think hand writing is fine. The secondary application that they sent me was crooked...which made it impossible to type.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm anal-retentive, so I scanned my secondaries onto adobe, and created textboxes and filled them in, that way it was completely uniform and pretty :).

It was fairly easy to do, it takes a little more time, and I'm computer illiterate, and I was able to do it. :)

Good luck!

scubadiva said:
I'm anal-retentive, so I scanned my secondaries onto adobe, and created textboxes and filled them in, that way it was completely uniform and pretty :).

It was fairly easy to do, it takes a little more time, and I'm computer illiterate, and I was able to do it. :)

Good luck!

haha, if you think your anal retentive imagine someone who actually sat down and typed everything out using word (in the correct format). :laugh:

took down link (04/09/05). PM me if you want it.

Kry said:
haha, if you think your anal retentive imagine someone who actually sat down and typed everything out using word (in the correct format). :laugh:

NYCOM should hire you so that you could show them how to create an electronic secondary application! Given the technological sophistication of their campus, you'd think that they would've already been "on-line" with this sort of thing.

I declined my interview at NYCOM, but I did receive a secondary from a couple other schools which had a spot for an essay on the application (I can't remember which exactly, but I want to say UMDNJ-SOM..not sure) and I handwrote the essays...while scanning, photocopying, etc. makes it look much cleaner...I don't think it's something to stress about at all...just make sure it looks nice..even if its in pen.

OMG:eek: You resurrected an thread back from 2004? To answer a question that no one on the thread cared about?

You know if you need to pad your posts there is a post pad in the wolf's den part of the forum....

No thank you; I am not on my period.