NYCOM vs NSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blu04WRX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I've been having a little predicament. I have been fortunate to receive acceptances from both NYCOM and NSUCOM. I'm from New York, about 1.5 hours from NYC; 2.5 from NYCOM. I have all my family in the area, and if I go to NYCOM family would be real close. NSUCOM, on the other hand, is beautiful. I've always had a slight indication that I wanted to move out of New York; at least for a while. I seem to need a change of environment. But it is anxiety producing. At this stage i'm hoping to pursue an Anesthesiology specialty, but i'm so far from that point it could change during rotations. Any suggestions as to which school would be best to pursue a residency spot in Anesthesiology. I know that it really depends on my board scores, and I plan to take both the COMLEX and the USMLE. But are there certain rotation sites that are most beneficial toward my goals?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is this a question?

iStock_000009279821XSmall.jpg

plus

nsu+-+2009.jpg

Equals

Victory.gif

Guess the beach counts for something. I dunno about the heat but it sounds real enticing. So there's probably no difference in rotation site quality towards advancing into a anesthesiology residency?

Guess the beach counts for something. I dunno about the heat but it sounds real enticing. So there's probably no difference in rotation site quality towards advancing into a anesthesiology residency?

I hear much more optimistic/happy anecdotes from NSU kids about their matches and opportunities than from NYCOM students. To be fair, Westbury is a rather depressing area compared to Ft. Lauderdale, so there may just be a pervasive happiness at NSU. But in all honesty, I couldnt tell you with certainty which gives you best opportunities, but NSU seems to have a much rosier outlook on strong program exposure and general optimistic outlook on the match opportunities.

Unless you have a significant other, have kids, or are the legal guardian of an individual, the family argument won't mean a thing during med school. You'll be left out even if you stay in NY. Both schools are comparable in all areas except cost of tuition+living. Go where it's cheaper (NSU). good luck