NYCOM VS UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShrubbyDoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI ALL,

I need some major advice! I have been accepted to NYCOM and UHS-COM and I really
cannot decide between the two.... So any view on this will be helpful!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Let me only say one thing. It is always about location-- it is really hard to do four years some place you do not really like. Regardless of where you go, you should like it. If you like the people, attitude and professors it is more important than a supposed opinion some people might ahve about a specific place. Make up you own mind-- in my opinion they are equal except the location is different (so there is a different kind of BS to deal with every day).
In my opinion, you might like UHS better because of the smaller class.

I agree somewhat, but dont base your opinion on what you get from a 3 hours interview. I go to NYCOM. The area isnt bad. There's alot to do, although it's expensive. I dont know much about UHS, but I'll give you the jist on NYCOM.

Pros: 1)Top rate clinical affiliations. Most admit the 25+ hospital affiliations is the best of any Osteopathic School. Most are located in the NY/NJ area, so no 3rd year relocation is needed if desired. 2) The AOA announced in their November review that NYCOM "Is poised to be the best Osteopathic School in the country". The school received 5 commendations, supposedly more than any other school has ever received, but I dont know the specifics. 3) Very diverse patient population and hospital choices. 4) Fun area: Manhattan 30 minute train ride, beaches in summer, tons of malls, restaurants, bars, etc.

Cons: 1)Expensive. Both tuition and cost of living are very high. 2)Minimal patient contact 1st year although you can shadow an OMM doc in the on-campus clinic and work with ER docs in the Bronx. This may be changing though, as standardized patients will be brought into next years 1st year curriculum I think in order to better prepare for the new clinical skills portion of the COMLEX.

I dont consider the large class size a con. It's not much larger than PCOMs and the student/faculty ratio is similar to any other medical school. I've never had a problem getting help when needed and the larger class size enables you to have more friends, and more alumni, hence alot of name recognition in the area after graduation. The DO profession needs numbers, both quality and quantity. Students here are happy, in my opinion.

The facilities arent spectacular, but they are readily improving. New study areas, lounges, and a new cafeteria is starting construction on April 1st. The main academic building is great though. Each seat in lecture has internet access and the OMM lab is supposedly the nicest in the country.

The NYCOM website sucks and is currently being redone. Any other Q's feel free to post.

There's my $0.02. Good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys that helps! So a couple of question for NJDocDO or for anyone who knows... Do you know when all the construction's going to be completed (hopefully by this August!)... are the students at NYCOM happy there?... If not then what's the main reason why??? What's so tough about the curriculum? Is the curriculum systems based (I know the one at UHS is... its called the genesis curriculum). What's the curriculum like there anyway???

Thanks

The cafeteria should be done by June. It's a major remodeling of the present one, not from the ground up, so it shouldnt take all that long.

I guess people here are more or less happy. Depends who you talk to and how close exams are. NYCOM is tough and they demand alot, especially 1st and 2nd year. There has been some disagreements with the administration over the past year, but that was mostly because the school was switching to the block system of exams and the 2nd years now were the guinae pigs last year. Hence, there was some uncertainty and confusion which caused problems. Most of that has been cleared up though. The first years are having a very smooth year and there hasnt been any problems I'm aware of. They seem happy to me. IMO, the administration has been very willing to get feedback and fix any problem areas. Long Island does get a little old after awhile though and I'm anxious to get to 3rd year and get a change of scenery for a bit. I imagine this would happen anywhere....

The second year curriculum is system and topic based, with block exams 5-6 week apart. You start out with an intense month of pharm, then start each system with pharm, path, etc being worked into it. The beginning of second year is particularly rough because of the material, but everyone has survived, battered but not beaten. First year courses are the typical and block system based. Exam week isnt fun, but it's much better than having an exam every monday and hence, never having a weekend off.

Regarding the posters above who claim to be fat and lazy, yeah, they exist, but they'll exist anywhere. I run 3-4 miles a day and work out at the gym about 3 times a week. It is possible, just takes some time management.

hope this help.

Hi,

I am going to NYCOM this august and I can honestly say that I really loved NYCOM when I saw it at the interview. With the exception of the orange carpet in the library, I felt the facilities were really nice. I liked the atmosphere and felt like I could fit in. The campus is beautiful. I think the facilities at NYCOM are even nicer than the ones at UMDNJ-SOM. UMDNJ-SOM is much smaller and the few facilities they have are nice, but they don't three major buildings like NYCOM does. Hope to see you in the fall.

Hey Elaina,

Good news, the orange carpet has been replaced last week! It's a nice shade of blue now. They also repainted a bunch and got all new desks in the library. Now if we could just get rid of the damn geese outside....

Not with the geese again!

Just try not to bother them too much. They'll be laying eggs soon and won't take too kindly to you. the males are already starting to get a little testy!