NYCOM vs. Western U (COMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexcc_ms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been accepted to both. I know New York and LA are totally different types of cities. I'd like to end up a surgeon, which school would be better in helping me to reach that goal? I've got about 10 days to decide (they want $$$$).

Members don't see this ad.

depends where you want to practice!!!
California is pretty uptight about DOs I have been told..

You can become a surgeon if you go to either schools...
I know someone who matched UCLA in surgery and they cut him after third year in surgery..

good luck
Jacob Keum
4th year NYCOM

What do you mean they "cut" him?!

Was he just left high and dry to find another place to match?

What school was he from, and what ended up happening to him?

Members don't see this ad :)
In surgery, there are still many University programs with untold biases against DOs.
This is much less now but still exist.

Even categorical positions in Surgery can get kicked out very easily even though he or she maybe a superb surgical resident. This is what I meant by cutting.

Sorry about confusion people

You will have the opportunity to go into surgery at both schools since both program do have alums that are surgeons. Make your decision based on money, family, happiness (very important), etc.. Either way, you will still get great experiences & opportunities at both medical schools. Hope this helps!
biggrin.gif
Good luck to you!

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

Unless that guy in the categorical program at UCLA screwed up BIG TIME, I don't see why he would've been cut. That is, of course, you're talking about a PRELIM spot, and not a categorical spot.

I think any med student at any med school can get a surgical residency, but NYCOM has two distinct advantages: 1) a close relationship with all its affiliated hospitals and 2) a HUGE list of AOA-approved, sponsored programs in almost everything imaginable.

Good luck.

Tim of New York City.