NYCOM's DO/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seismicCHICK

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just looking into the DO/MBA program @ nycom and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

how does it work? do you finish in 4 years?? are you basically doing your med thing but taking business classes on top of it? what are the "required undergrad accounting, econ, and computer courses"?

yah just some questions. i emailed them but no response yet.. i guess i could always call them but i don't want to do that until i learn a little more about it just so i don't look silly.

any help is greatly appreciated! : )

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the specifics of this particular program but "Students who have not completed required
undergraduate accounting, economics, and computer courses will be scheduled to complete them at the onset of this program." will mean you will have to probably take a financial and managerial accounting class (or classes), and a micro and/or macro economics class. Some MBA programs have a "early start" program for those who they allow to enroll with limited business experience. Some its a summer session where you will be a crash course in various subjects including accounting, finance, economics, and computers (using spreadsheets, word processing, databases, etc).

Usually the program is 5 years total for the DO/MBA, they often have you take a "break" between 2nd and 3rd years (you will have to take boards though), although I have seen some schools allowing between 3rd/4th years. So how they do it in 4 years ... ? I HAVE NO IDEA and honestly I probably wouldn't recommend it either. Most students I know who did joint degree programs with no or limited business background did struggle compared to those people who were in the program with business background.

Oh and you would apply for the joint degree after your 1st year (or during) from the way they are wording it ...

Hope this helps. Wish I had more information on the program but you could try their affiliated school information on NYIT's website. I found the curriculum guidelines, etc.