NYCPM or SCHOLL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one do you prefer?

• NYCPM

• SCHOLL

• SHOW ME THE ANSWERS

Results are only viewable after voting.
1. What are the merit based scholarships like? What grades do you need to maintain them?

Some incoming freshmen get offered merit based scholarships that can either be a one time thing or have the option for renewal each year based on how well you do. Also, starting 2nd year, more institutional scholarships are offered for those who do well and there are national ones you can apply for. From what I've seen, you have to keep at least a 3.4-3.5 to keep your scholarships but I think it changes based on your situation (and what the administration tells you specifically).

2. Do any people actually commute? I live less than 10 miles from the school (in NJ), but with NYC traffic, it could take 45 min everyday.

A lot of people commute from NJ and Long Island, but most who do take public transportation (NJ Transit, LIRR etc). I know some have commutes as long as 2 hours! Also, if you take NJ Transit, you can get a monthly discount if you go to the administration for a student discount.

3. If we don't get scholarship offers at the time of acceptance is it safe to say we won't get one?

Untrue. Like I said before, starting 2nd year you're eligible for additional scholarships. Some are only based on academic achievement, but others are based on public involvement and leadership. You can see a more expansive list by looking at the NYCPM student handbook on their website.

4. The first 3 terms of the JAN class seem very lax compared to the normal track. How often do they have class and exams? And in your experience, are most students who drop out from the January class?

I wouldn't call the first 3 terms lax by any means. The first term is the "spring semester" where January students take General Anatomy (with the students in the year ahead of you) and Bacteriology. While Bacteriology is pretty straight forward, Anatomy takes up a lot of time and has a 4 hour lab each week. The second term is the "summer semester" and January students take Infection Diseases with students in the year ahead. That takes up a lot of time as class would be anywhere from 3-5 days a week. The third term is the "fall semester" and here is where the rest of your class (the August starters) join you. During this term you take all the same classes as the rest of your class - Biochemistry, Genetics, Histology, and Neuroscience - except Bacteriology which you will have already taken.

Regarding drop outs, no one has dropped out yet from my class and I'm not sure what the numbers are for the years ahead of me. It seems to me that a lot of the January starters (at least for my year) are quite smart and motivated and have been doing very well. But again, it's too soon to tell how things will turn out!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I can't speak for Scholl since I have not been there so ultimately, you will have to make the decision.

I'm not going to lie, but I would say NYCPM is tough. Once you get later in the semester and you're doing 2 tests a week while still having mandatory attendances for tests you aren't even thinking about is probably the number 1 complaint from students. Whereas with every other pod school attendance is not mandatory.

Also, the grading system is hard. You can say that residencies will look at your class rank rather than your grade but it's pretty discouraging to know that a 90% is a 4.0 at some school whereas a 80% at NYCPM is a 3.7 and it just goes down fast from there.

I also really don't like the area. No one will bother you on the street but when walking to the school from the student housing sometimes I seriously feel like throwing up.

The good things about this school is that it is difficult and so I hope at least that I will be fairly prepared for the boards. NYC has a lot of stuff going on. You'll see a lot in clinic.

Also, most of the professors I have are really good so far.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I can't speak for Scholl since I have not been there so ultimately, you will have to make the decision.

I'm not going to lie, but I would say NYCPM is tough. Once you get later in the semester and you're doing 2 tests a week while still having mandatory attendances for tests you aren't even thinking about is probably the number 1 complaint from students. Whereas with every other pod school attendance is not mandatory.

Also, the grading system is hard. You can say that residencies will look at your class rank rather than your grade but it's pretty discouraging to know that a 90% is a 4.0 at some school whereas a 80% at NYCPM is a 3.7 and it just goes down fast from there.

I also really don't like the area. No one will bother you on the street but when walking to the school from the student housing sometimes I seriously feel like throwing up.

The good things about this school is that it is difficult and so I hope at least that I will be fairly prepared for the boards. NYC has a lot of stuff going on. You'll see a lot in clinic.

Also, most of the professors I have are really good so far.

Is it true that the Housing provided by NYCPM has students from Touro college as well?
Also, do you have a kitchen? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that the Housing provided by NYCPM has students from Touro college as well?
Also, do you have a kitchen? Thanks.
Yes there's touro student too. I don't live with any personally but the ones I've met are nice.
And yes there is a bigger kitchen than I expected! Plenty of cupboard space for 7 people.

Do not live in the bridges at NYCPM. Unless mommy and daddy are paying then it's ok. The rooms are unfinished and it takes the building months to conduct repairs. Mold is in 80% of the rooms in the ACs because they don't maintain them. You are not allowed locks on your personal door, so if someone breaks/leaves the main door unlocked they have access to your stuff.

Do not live in the bridges at NYCPM. Unless mommy and daddy are paying then it's ok. The rooms are unfinished and it takes the building months to conduct repairs. Mold is in 80% of the rooms in the ACs because they don't maintain them. You are not allowed locks on your personal door, so if someone breaks/leaves the main door unlocked they have access to your stuff.

That's terrible. I expected more NYCPM.

Were you able to find something affordable close by?

Ask the Dean Of students about empathy too.

Last edited:

I was thinking about the Bridges but all these comments on SDN are making me rethink it. The only benefit is that you can use financial aid to pay for it, whereas with a landlord they'll be expecting money every month.

It does seem like NYCPM has more negative comments about it than any other pod school...

I was thinking about the Bridges but all these comments on SDN are making me rethink it. The only benefit is that you can use financial aid to pay for it, whereas with a landlord they'll be expecting money every month.

It does seem like NYCPM has more negative comments about it than any other pod school...
You still can use aid for monthly rent

How does that work?

Whatever fund is left over after paying the tuition & fees, you get those back. You can then use it to pay for rent, utilities, other bills.
I think living within the school provided housing has its advantages such as paying the rent (you can pay for the entire term once, rather than every month, this is what I do at Scholl).

In case, you want to live off-campus and have to pay rent every month using your Financial Aid funds, you should develop a good rapport with the super and the landlord and have personal savings in case funds from school are delayed for any reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just hate the housing. Nothing wrong either the academic staff.

I interviewed at Scholl on Monday. Anyone know how long till I hear back? Thanks.

STUDENT at these two school can you give me pros and cons of both schools I know NYCPM runs a very fast pace but I have no idea about scholl which one is better in your opinion. also how long after interview did you receive acceptance.

From personal experience and the experiences of many colleagues, I highly recommend you do not attend NYCPM if you have the option not to. For further inquiry feel free to message me for details privately to avoid unnecessary drama in the forums.

STUDENT at these two school can you give me pros and cons of both schools I know NYCPM runs a very fast pace but I have no idea about scholl which one is better in your opinion. also how long after interview did you receive acceptance.

Didn’t apply to NYCPM, but applied, then accepted, to Scholl. My initial, and current, impression of the school is that you will be successful with the current curriculum in place for Podiatric medical students, you will be integrated with other health professional students (which I think helps you gain a different perspective in methodology and overall preventative care), pass rates are pretty good, residency placement was 100% for its current graduating class and facilities are well equipped for students. The only con I’d really would say is just the location.

Reactions: 3 users