NYCPM or SCHOLL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one do you prefer?

• NYCPM

• SCHOLL

• SHOW ME THE ANSWERS

Results are only viewable after voting.

STUDENT at these two school can you give me pros and cons of both schools I know NYCPM runs a very fast pace but I have no idea about scholl which one is better in your opinion. also how long after interview did you receive acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get invites from both? Just curious because I wanted to know your feedback with your stats since you mentioned them before

Did you get invites from both? Just curious because I wanted to know your feedback with your stats since you mentioned them before
YES 3.0SGPA 3.1CGPA 490Mcat EC excellent I got an interview at barry,nycpm,scholl,des moines,samuel merrit and have not heard from the rest yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what to do!!!!! I want to go to a good school but I also don't want to pay 1k for a room or get beat up on my way to class I also want a faculty that cares and records their lectures I need some help, please....

I don't know what to do!!!!! I want to go to a good school but I also don't want to pay 1k for a room or get beat up on my way to class I also want a faculty that cares and records their lectures I need some help, please....

Tuition at both schools is about the same, just like the other Pod programs. It's the living expenses that vary widely. There is no such thing as a "good" school, all are the same in that sense, meaning, you will be a DPM at the end of the day. Every school has their placements and graduation rates on their sites, so you can also make a decision based on those.

Lectures are recorded here at Scholl and I'm sure they are recorded at NYCPM as well. Attending lectures is not mandatory here, might be for NYCPM, so something you may want to think about. You will not get beat up in NY or here in North Chicago, as long as you use common sense.

I think the studio rent at NYCPM is around 1300 per month. Here at Scholl, it depends on if you want to live alone (12K for 10 months), share with another person (about 9K for 10 months), or live with 3-4 different people (maybe around 500-700 per month). So, it all up to you and what you want.

Again, both schools are great in their own ways, you would still have to study day-n-night, take exams, pass and move on. Everything else is secondary!

Reactions: 2 users
Remember that the interview is for you also. This isn't just for the schools to assess you. Go to as many interviews as your budget can afford and see what you like.

Reactions: 1 user
If you work hard and get good grades and all that jazz you will get into a good residency program and become a good doctor no matter where you go. That being said, go where you will be the happiest, allowing you to be the most successful. For some, its staying close to home; others its the climate; others its the amount of debt or academic rigor of the school. Others are focused on the clinic at the school. You decide whats important for you, go to the interviews, and pick the school where you will be the happiest for the next 4 years. Its not forever.

you guys are great I really appreciate the help, regarding the focus on clinical work at the school do you guys know the rank from busiest to least I know NYC is number one and now that I think about it I think a place where the expense of living is low will suit me the most.

Tuition at both schools is about the same, just like the other Pod programs. It's the living expenses that vary widely. There is no such thing as a "good" school, all are the same in that sense, meaning, you will be a DPM at the end of the day. Every school has their placements and graduation rates on their sites, so you can also make a decision based on those.

Lectures are recorded here at Scholl and I'm sure they are recorded at NYCPM as well. Attending lectures is not mandatory here, might be for NYCPM, so something you may want to think about. You will not get beat up in NY or here in North Chicago, as long as you use common sense.

I think the studio rent at NYCPM is around 1300 per month. Here at Scholl, it depends on if you want to live alone (12K for 10 months), share with another person (about 9K for 10 months), or live with 3-4 different people (maybe around 500-700 per month). So, it all up to you and what you want.

Again, both schools are great in their own ways, you would still have to study day-n-night, take exams, pass and move on. Everything else is secondary!

I would definitely prefer to live alone and that sounds pretty expensive for Chicago could I find apartments for less amount of money I was looking online and I found 600$ apartments etc and does the school loans help with living expenses? would you say having to drive 1 hour to school is a bad idea? at what time do classes start?

I would definitely prefer to live alone and that sounds pretty expensive for Chicago could I find apartments for less amount of money I was looking online and I found 600$ apartments etc and does the school loans help with living expenses? would you say having to drive 1 hour to school is a bad idea? at what time do classes start?

The figure I stated before are all for Students Housing, so the price is a bit more than usual. You can find an off-campus housing and commute if you want to.
All student's housing are within walking distance from the campus so this really helps when you have to attend something mandatory (and soon in the snow).

Many people here drive for an hour to get to class but to each their own. I wouldn't recommend it though, at least not for the first year, which is why I am in one of the student's housing. Yeah, I know the price is much more but at least the loans cover most of it and the apts are very spacious and clean.

Most classes start at 8 am and finish around 2, somedays you have labs which go from 1-4pm. Although lectures are not mandatory, labs are, so in a week you will have to be in school for various labs, activities.

Some other facts about Scholl:

We have exams every week, sometimes 2 in a week and I heard in Jan we are getting 3/week, so time management is key and dealing with your stress.
But those exams are not combined as they would in a block system, each exam is for one class
Our curriculum runs on a quarter-based system, not a system.
You can buy printed lecture notes for that exam period, incase, you do not want to use a tablet or type for taking notes
Faculty and staff are very helpful so far.
This is medical school, so be ready to study for 4-6+ hours per day.

Members don't see this ad :)
The figure I stated before are all for Students Housing, so the price is a bit more than usual. You can find an off-campus housing and commute if you want to.
All student's housing are within walking distance from the campus so this really helps when you have to attend something mandatory (and soon in the snow).

Many people here drive for an hour to get to class but to each their own. I wouldn't recommend it though, at least not for the first year, which is why I am in one of the student's housing. Yeah, I know the price is much more but at least the loans cover most of it and the apts are very spacious and clean.

Most classes start at 8 am and finish around 2, somedays you have labs which go from 1-4pm. Although lectures are not mandatory, labs are, so in a week you will have to be in school for various labs, activities.

ok compared to other school debt wise what do you think your debt from this school will be after you graduate?

ok compared to other school debt wise what do you think your debt from this school will be after you graduate?

Again, if you are living at home while attending school and do not have other living expenses, then your total debt would be low.

If you choose to live on campus (student housing or not) your overall debt would be close to 200K+
In student housing, we only pay the electricity bill, so if you live off-campus, you might have to pay for more utilities such as gas or water, etc.

Again, if you are living at home while attending school and do not have other living expenses, then your total debt would be low.

If you choose to live on campus (student housing or not) your overall debt would be close to 200K+
In student housing, we only pay the electricity bill, so if you live off-campus, you might have to pay for more utilities such as gas or water, etc.

ok sorry I am asking so many questions but you seem to know the deal I looked at this http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf and for schooll total expenses add up to 237k is this supposing you take out the maximum amount of loan they can give you per year or is this the average? you said close to 200 but this is way over 200 so I am a little confused

ok sorry I am asking so many questions but you seem to know the deal I looked at this http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf and for schooll total expenses add up to 237k is this supposing you take out the maximum amount of loan they can give you per year or is this the average?

Yes, that number includes everything, from tuition to living expenses to other fees, etc. You can take out the maximum and or not, all up to you.
If you take out just enough for the tuition then its roughly (40*4= 160K).

Just want to add, that make sure you talk to someone from NYCPM before making a decision.

Yes, that number includes everything, from tuition to living expenses to other fees, etc. You can take out the maximum and or not, all up to you.
If you take out just enough for the tuition then its roughly (40*4= 160K).

Just want to add, that make sure you talk to someone from NYCPM before making a decision.

I lived in new york for a couple of years so I know what I am getting myself into pretty crappy living for a lot of cash I did not know if to be more scared of the rats or the mutated
pigeons the people are decent in the way that they don't care about you so nobody will bother you unless you do transportation is amazing the train will get you everywhere you need to go food is not that bad or expensive if you know how to cook besides that the only thing I really like about NYCPM is that they have a very busy clinic where you will see everything besides that is NYC

I lived in new york for a couple of years so I know what I am getting myself into pretty crappy living for a lot of cash I did not know if to be more scared of the rats or the mutated
pigeons the people are decent in the way that they don't care about you so nobody will bother you unless you do transportation is amazing the train will get you everywhere you need to go food is not that bad or expensive if you know how to cook besides that the only thing I really like about NYCPM is that they have a very busy clinic where you will see everything besides that is NYC
Scholl has a busy clinic as well

Reactions: 2 users
If you want to be respected, well-liked, be treated like you aren't just a statistic, and want a slower pace, go to Scholl. I am not saying NYCPM is bad, it's just their system will not work for everyone. Remember, I am only a first year, but I can tell you that the school isn't as friendly as the other 8 pod schools. Everything is very systematic.

Now here are reasons why you SHOULD consider NYCPM:
1. It's NYC - one of the best cities in the world.
2. Lowest cost of tuition, but that will be balanced out by how much you pay for housing.
3. No need for a car (so saving some time and money there).
4. 70% attendance will pretty much ENSURE that you learn your material.
5. Admin not so sunshine and rainbows, but your upper classmen are amazing people (it's literally like a huge family and everyone wants to help).
6. Clinic you will see a lot of gnarly cases and will be exposed to tons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Did you already interview at Scholl?

this is all there is for now: Program Outcomes

You will see an actual list on your interview day!

I felt like Scholl did a great job explaining this on interview day. Had a great experience & left knowing what to expect from their program. We talked a lot about residency matching and passing boards... also externships and what to expect.

These are the most important things in a podiatry school you can assess yourself
1) Recorded lectures/ professors sticking to their lecture slides
- My school does this and not having to show up to class, being able to 2X speed lectures and rewatch is huge. I literally have so much free time because of this.
2) Resources to prepare
- Kent has tutoring and my god I havent watched a damn embryo/genetics lecture and Im still doing fine in the class because of how great the tutors notes are. Actually 2 of our professors are just so bad I have to convince myself to watch their lectures but the TA's make it easy.
3) Environment, which I find a bit negative here, find a place that fits well with you. Some places will be a lot more exciting than others. CSPM is right across from San Francisco and has an amazing night life, lots of hiking trails, beaches, etc etc etc. Similar story to Western. Barry as well. New york. Kent isnt so bad but its pretty boring here.
4) Cost, do you really wanna pay 2000k a month to live in a box at CSPM?
---
Some people say pass rate, I wouldn't go by that. All schools have atleast a 70% pass rate which means they are all providing the resources you need to pass the exam, its probably just that the student pool is different.

So when you ask NYCPM or Scholl, ask those 4 questions. If questions 1 and 2 are a no, I would scratch that school off my list.

These are the most important things in a podiatry school you can assess yourself
1) Recorded lectures/ professors sticking to their lecture slides
- My school does this and not having to show up to class, being able to 2X speed lectures and rewatch is huge. I literally have so much free time because of this.
2) Resources to prepare
- Kent has tutoring and my god I havent watched a damn embryo/genetics lecture and Im still doing fine in the class because of how great the tutors notes are. Actually 2 of our professors are just so bad I have to convince myself to watch their lectures but the TA's make it easy.
3) Environment, which I find a bit negative here, find a place that fits well with you. Some places will be a lot more exciting than others. CSPM is right across from San Francisco and has an amazing night life, lots of hiking trails, beaches, etc etc etc. Similar story to Western. Barry as well. New york. Kent isnt so bad but its pretty boring here.
4) Cost, do you really wanna pay 2000k a month to live in a box at CSPM?
---
Some people say pass rate, I wouldn't go by that. All schools have atleast a 70% pass rate which means they are all providing the resources you need to pass the exam, its probably just that the student pool is different.

So when you ask NYCPM or Scholl, ask those 4 questions. If questions 1 and 2 are a no, I would scratch that school off my list.
Everyone here is actually really nice. Sorry we're too "boring" for you. Why are you still bashing the school? The environment isn't "negative" at all. When you insult everything about the school less than a week in you're not going to be smooth-sailing.

Everyone here is actually really nice. Sorry we're too "boring" for you. Why are you still bashing the school? The environment isn't "negative" at all. When you insult everything about the school less than a week in you're not going to be smooth-sailing.

You misread me. Everything is a compliment on there about ksucpm. I said kent, meaning the area is boring not the people.

He wasnt bashing the school... he literally listed a ton of positive things and then said a few negative things.. heaven forbid someone list a con with the school they attend

He wasnt bashing the school... he literally listed a ton of positive things and then said a few negative things.. heaven forbid someone list a con with the school they attend

Thanks for the backup. Most people are nice here at Kent but people like that person speak for the attitude of the bad apples at our school.

I think Volibear's comment was fine as well. These are his personal preferences and opinions, in no way was he bashing on his school.
Just because someone offers a con about their school doesn't warrant a comment about "smooth-sailing" etc. etc. If you decide to live life passively and go with the crowd/tide with no opinion, you haven't matured enough.

Hey guys recieved my first rejection from temple they were nice about it i guess ...i am pretty scared now what happens if i get post rejection from all the schools i interview at or they all tell me i need to retake the mcat this is so depressing....i did not receive an interview at temple i understand i am over exaggerating but getting rejected feels so baaad

Hey guys recieved my first rejection from temple they were nice about it i guess ...i am pretty scared now what happens if i get post rejection from all the schools i interview at or they all tell me i need to retake the mcat this is so depressing....i did not receive an interview at temple i understand i am over exaggerating but getting rejected feels so baaad

temple is sort of one of the better schools so dont fret. keep applying, the worst thing that happens is you have to retake the mcat. I would not recommend going to a smp program.

temple is sort of one of the better schools so dont fret. keep applying, the worst thing that happens is you have to retake the mcat. I would not recommend going to a smp program.
Smp? I have 6 interviews so far will they tell me to retake during interview or before interview

Smp? I have 6 interviews so far will they tell me to retake during interview or before interview

You should get an acceptance based on your current stats. Considering, you do well on the interviews. NYCPM is similar to Temple so I'm a bit surprised about that II because they usually want people around 494+

Smp is like a post bac program to prove youre capable of medical school, like I said I dont recommend it for going to a podiatry program. your mcat is low'ish in my opinion but kent, and western will probably accept you. Keep going thru the interview cycle and see how you do. Make sure you come up with a convincing reason on why you want to be a podiatrist.

Understood but can someone tell me when they ask you to retake the mcat they do that during the interview or they tell you to retake before even giving you an interview?

Understood but can someone tell me when they ask you to retake the mcat they do that during the interview or they tell you to retake before even giving you an interview?
If your score is too low they will usually tell you to retake before reapplying next cycle.

Some may accept you with a requirement that you retake the mcat with a score above ###.

I had my nycpm interview 2 days ago everybody was super nice they did not mention anything about me having to retake the mcat they did ask about my score and i told them how it is i thi k the interview went great when will i hear from them? The student interview was great i felt like the 3rd year student liked me and agreed with everything i said so i guess thats good

Hi! Can someone explain what interview day is going to be like at Scholl? They never sent out an interview day packet or anything so have no idea what to expect!

Hi! Can someone explain what interview day is going to be like at Scholl? They never sent out an interview day packet or anything so have no idea what to expect!

Did you read the interview section here on SDN? It's pretty accurate.
If you have any specific ques then PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to be respected, well-liked, be treated like you aren't just a statistic, and want a slower pace, go to Scholl. I am not saying NYCPM is bad, it's just their system will not work for everyone. Remember, I am only a first year, but I can tell you that the school isn't as friendly as the other 8 pod schools. Everything is very systematic.

2. Lowest cost of tuition, but that will be balanced out by how much you pay for housing.
5. Admin not so sunshine and rainbows, but your upper classmen are amazing people (it's literally like a huge family and everyone wants to help).
I would totally disagree with you that Scholl is a slower pace. My first year and second year has been a total blur!

Does NYCPM really have the lowest tuition? Also, I thought all classes had required attendance, what's with the 70 percent thing?

thanks

I would totally disagree with you that Scholl is a slower pace. My first year and second year has been a total blur!
Not discounting the education at Scholl in any way. Just my personal opinion that the environment here at NYCPM is rougher. Two exams a week all the way till the end of the semester? Final starts the Monday after Thanksgiving break? 70% MANDATORY attendance? I do honestly think the pace and standard here is pretty absurd. But then again, everything is relative and I am only a first year, what do I know?

Does NYCPM really have the lowest tuition? Also, I thought all classes had required attendance, what's with the 70 percent thing?

thanks
Yes NYCPM does have the lowest tuition, but that is offset by cost of living in the city.
I believe every school has their own attendance policy, but NYCPM requires 70% MANDATORY attendance. If you miss more than 30%, you lose 5% off your overall grade for that specific class.

Yes NYCPM does have the lowest tuition, but that is offset by cost of living in the city.
I believe every school has their own attendance policy, but NYCPM requires 70% MANDATORY attendance. If you miss more than 30%, you lose 5% off your overall grade for that specific class.

I'm actually going to NYCPM in January, but I live right off the edge of NJ, so I guess I could just commute =)

Welcome! I'm a current NYCPM student so feel free to ask me any questions about anything regarding the school!

Welcome! I'm a current NYCPM student so feel free to ask me any questions about anything regarding the school!

Hello, I have a few questions.

1. What are the merit based scholarships like? What grades do you need to maintain them?

2. Do any people actually commute? I live less than 10 miles from the school (in NJ), but with NYC traffic, it could take 45 min everyday.

3. If we don't get scholarship offers at the time of acceptance is it safe to say we won't get one?

4. The first 3 terms of the JAN class seem very lax compared to the normal track. How often do they have class and exams? And in your experience, are most students who drop out from the January class?

Thank you.