PLEASE CONSIDER BEFORE GOING TO PODIATRY SCHOOL, SPECIFICALLY TUSPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

footdoctor22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While being a Podiatrist has its perks and I do love meeting new people and helping people with physical problems, if I could go back, I would have probably gone the orthopedic/DO route or Caribbean med school route.

I went to Temple university school of Podiatric Medicine, and I regret that decision. Dean is one of the most unethical human beings I have ever encountered in my life. He lies constantly and puts out an image of himself that is far divorced from reality. Really hope things have come around for him, because despicable people like that do not deserve to be Dean of a Podiatry school. Assistant Dean for Student Affairs is a complete joke and never actually does his job when you bring up legitimate issues of concern. Extremely unprofessional. Furthermore, I actually went to a good school for undergrad, so it brought me much dismay how watered down everything is, from the actual academics (the teachers just read off powerpoint slides and it's all directed to the board exam instead of how to actually help heal patients, for example). The faculty podiatrists in 3rd year are extremely lazy and make you do all the work. They are also extreme right wing propagandists (Some are particularly bad, but they all are right wing grifters, and I don't even like politics btw). This really affects your mental disposition considering the fact that the residencies you are working your way towards are all extremely watered down. And it's all downhill from there. Despite putting in more work than other doctors, you don't get the same recognition or salary.

Since becoming a podiatrist, I have certainly had my good share of meaningful moments, but I know that a lot of people will not value the intrinsic quality of the work and just want to become a Doctor for financial reasons. Anyways, I do know Podiatrists who went to other schools and had a much better experience, so i'm not trying to hate on all Podiatry schools, but I highly recommend reconsidering if you want to go to Temple. Thank you for reading, I just wanted to share this based on my experience and I was reflecting on this all today. If you have any specific questions, feel free to DM me as i'd love to help in any way that I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
nice,

So what year did you fail out at temple? Kidding. Maybe. Who can truly know…

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
What was your class rank? Are you an associate now? How much are you making?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here you go again! I really want to know your story honestly. I have worked with Dr. Mcguire (atleast spell his name right) and yes he is definitely a right winger (not sure what that has to do with you clinical experience though), but as a clinician he is very knowledgeable in everything wound care and was always happy to discuss any questions I had before and after clinic. I think you are mistaking being "lazy" for allowing you to be an independent student who does not need to have their hand held. The independence helped me PERSONALLY gain confidence in examining patients, coming up with differentials and treatment plans, then going to him to confirm that I was on the right track. Maybe you didn't like being independent and wanted more support, but I think that's more of a preference thing than anything.

If you wanted more support and hand holding in clinic, yes Dr. Mcguire is not your guy, but definetly have docs like Dr. Love, Dr. Sansosti, Dr. Labbad, etc that are more than happy to walk you step by step on the things to do. But IMO I think a student needs to have their floaties taken off at some point before 4th year so they can swim on their own and be confident in their own abilities.

It's really hard to believe you gained nothing from 3rd year at TUSPM when there are docs like Dr. Meyr, Dr. Kwaadu, Dr. Vlahovic etc whose brains you could have picked. Did you take the initiative or were you just coasting and now your mistakes have caught up to you?

Maybe some of the ones I mentioned might not have been around since you graduated, which is even more of a reason that it makes no sense to bash a school that has changed and you now know nothing about.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was your class rank? Are you an associate now? How much are you making?
Yep. A lot of times, the residency matters the most... and that's almost always two thirds class rank and one third charisma.

Back in my grad year, two from Temple I met as students and again as residents were (are) Jake Wynes and Jeff McAlister...
We were all student surgery club reps for our respective schools... I was student BU club prez, they were TUSPM club officers, a bunch of us went to some ACFAS meetings and workshops, did posters, had fun times. I would say they are both doing ok... big names within podiatry and teach/lecture guys now. Myself and the other BU surgery club officers from my school are doing well also. I know those two guys from TUSPM did good residency + fellowship, I don't think anyone from my Barry club side chose fellowship (all just did good residency in various corners of USA... DMC, Kaiser SF, mine, Palmetto, TX, etc). Most of us teach or have at one point, making good coin, happy with our gig (although that can take a few years... did for me). The point is, be an officer in student surgery club... kidding.

I think the residency and the student's drive tends to matter a whoooole lot more than the pod school.
It's too bad that good residency spots will get harder to find than dime pieces at a 4H club event once the two new pod schools open. All of the schools definitely have their areas for improvements (didactics, clinics, board prep, scholarships, overall university campus, etc). All have some ROCK STAR students... and some who struggle. Students from all schools match fantastic residencies in any given year. That won't change... but people dissatisfied with pod school/match/job certainly might increase. A lot.

...I think it's too bad that you didn't enjoy the exp, OP. You're welcome to msg for job tips if you are stuck in a spot you don't like. I can probably connect you with some decent job ideas if you're ABPM or some pretty good ones if ABFAS. I'm not sure it's a great idea to smear individual faculty people, though.

Last edited:
Anyways, I do know Podiatrists who went to other schools and had a much better experience, so i'm not trying to hate on all Podiatry schools, but I highly recommend reconsidering if you want to go to Temple. Thank you for reading, I just wanted to share this based on my experience and I was reflecting on this all today. If you have any specific questions, feel free to DM me as i'd love to help in any way that I can.

Why didn't you transfer out? Better than suffering the 4-years you are describing here. Maybe your situation was unique and what you are saying is true, but I have also met students and residents from Temple, and they did not complain about anything more than what happens at every program.

Boo. That's all. I was hoping for some jucier details. Of course your professors sucked. They teach at a podiatry school on the east coast. All east coast people are going to the bad place. Surely more interesting bad things have happened to you since Temple that we could talk about. Perhaps you've met some private practice pods?

I spend very little time thinking about the turds at DMU. Yes, 3rd year hands down is the worst year at DMU and yes one of the professors doesn't know what an "Oxford comma" is and yes another reuses questions that were overturned the year before and still puts the wrong answer down, but eh. DMU is definitely not the worst part of podiatry though if you feel Temple is, so be it.

I still remember my Temple interview. We asked for their pass rates and the admissions lady got all in a huff and acted bitchy and then finally handed us some sheet that had been photocopied till you couldn't read it but suggested their part 1 pass rate was 83% or something. They showed us the dorms and suggested I could live there with my wife but we'd have to pay double rent. My wife would kill herself every day before she'd live in the Temple dorm. Then I shared a taxi with some girl who was way too excited about the thought of going to Temple and wanted to know if I was excited to. I was not. I got back to my hotel, found out I got into DMU, and then got drunk at an awesome tapas bar and got lost trying to get back to the Doubletree. Probably should have been murdered but got lucky. Everyone said the Doubletree served the most amazing hot cookies but everything I ate was overcooked and ****ty probably because that's how people from Pennsylvania like things... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
in the 30s out of 145
According to your previous post, you graduated in 2016…..I found the class of 2016 and it says 83 graduates! Are you saying more than 60 people failed since the start of 1st year? Your story just does not add up.

Attachments

• 1B9C0319-4DB3-42D7-8915-AC434C5C3C9F.jpeg
    1B9C0319-4DB3-42D7-8915-AC434C5C3C9F.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
While being a Podiatrist has its perks and I do love meeting new people and helping people with physical problems, if I could go back, I would have probably gone the orthopedic/DO route or Caribbean med school route.

I went to Temple university school of Podiatric Medicine, and I regret that decision. Dean is one of the most unethical human beings I have ever encountered in my life. He lies constantly and puts out an image of himself that is far divorced from reality. Really hope things have come around for him, because despicable people like that do not deserve to be Dean of a Podiatry school. Assistant Dean for Student Affairs is a complete joke and never actually does his job when you bring up legitimate issues of concern. Extremely unprofessional. Furthermore, I actually went to a good school for undergrad, so it brought me much dismay how watered down everything is, from the actual academics (the teachers just read off powerpoint slides and it's all directed to the board exam instead of how to actually help heal patients, for example). The faculty podiatrists in 3rd year are extremely lazy and make you do all the work. They are also extreme right wing propagandists (Some are particularly bad, but they all are right wing grifters, and I don't even like politics btw). This really affects your mental disposition considering the fact that the residencies you are working your way towards are all extremely watered down. And it's all downhill from there. Despite putting in more work than other doctors, you don't get the same recognition or salary.

Since becoming a podiatrist, I have certainly had my good share of meaningful moments, but I know that a lot of people will not value the intrinsic quality of the work and just want to become a Doctor for financial reasons. Anyways, I do know Podiatrists who went to other schools and had a much better experience, so i'm not trying to hate on all Podiatry schools, but I highly recommend reconsidering if you want to go to Temple. Thank you for reading, I just wanted to share this based on my experience and I was reflecting on this all today. If you have any specific questions, feel free to DM me as i'd love to help in any way that I can.
Hello, I am sorry Temple was a bust but more importantly I hope you are finding your way in the field of podiatry and make your mark in the community !

Reactions: 1 user
In general, if you are considering podiatry please reconsider. It does not matter what podiatry school. It is not worth it.

In general, if you are considering podiatry please reconsider. It does not matter what podiatry school. It is not worth it.
7 years after 4 years of undergrad to make $100,000 with $300,000 in loans. what a world we live in.

Members don't see this ad :)
7 years after 4 years of undergrad to make $100,000 with $300,000 in loans. what a world we live in.

300K is on the lower end now, I think it's getting closer to 400k in loans.

Yeah, I'm happy that govt have pretty much kept the loan interest frozen the entire time we've been in school. Have classmates who are still somehow 400 grand in debt. R I P.

Tired Bored To Death GIF by Jongerencentrum De Pomp

300K is on the lower end now, I think it's getting closer to 400k in loans.
I think if you go to east/west coast schools, the debt is like twice as much as other schools...

I think if you go to east/west coast schools, the debt is like twice as much as other schools...

I think that's pretty common where I went as well (Midwest school). I'd say most fall just above 300k but some most certainly reach 400k, with interest by the time you finish residency that can reach 500k. Throw in a fellowship and it's certainly above 500k. Kent States cost of tuition is 320k but account for all the stuff you pay for during residency, hopefully you don't have kids or a wife or a wedding, or go on dates or need a new car and you can get away with 320k of debt (not accounting interest on that).

I'd say most fall just above 300k but some most certainly reach 400k, with interest by the time you finish residency that can reach 500k.
That's absurd. Pod schools should have no business charging these numbers with such poor ROI, and the admission decline is well deserved but nowhere near enough 'punishment'. I'd be willing to pitch in for a fund (#PrePodiatryLivesMatter?) to start picketing outside the schools - painting the walls with ciclopirox and nail clippings, burning podiatry pamphlets at undergraduate campuses, spamming emails, etc. The opportunities are endless.

That's absurd. Pod schools should have no business charging these numbers with such poor ROI, and the admission decline is well deserved but nowhere near enough 'punishment'. I'd be willing to pitch in for a fund (#PrePodiatryLivesMatter?) to start picketing outside the schools - painting the walls with ciclopirox and nail clippings, burning podiatry pamphlets at undergraduate campuses, spamming emails, etc. The opportunities are endless.
The podiatry revolution starts today.

That said, a few years ago - my 2nd and 3rd year were already basically at $280-300K in debt before graduating residency. Going to DMU didn't save them from the debt train.

The podiatry revolution starts today.

That said, a few years ago - my 2nd and 3rd year were already basically at $280-300K in debt before graduating residency. Going to DMU didn't save them from the debt train.
Podiatry is one of the worst careers considering ROI for most people.

I think that's pretty common where I went as well (Midwest school). I'd say most fall just above 300k but some most certainly reach 400k, with interest by the time you finish residency that can reach 500k. Throw in a fellowship and it's certainly above 500k. Kent States cost of tuition is 320k but account for all the stuff you pay for during residency, hopefully you don't have kids or a wife or a wedding, or go on dates or need a new car and you can get away with 320k of debt (not accounting interest on that).

Can't you pay back during residency and not get interest? Plus, With they way things have been heading, no one in the country has been forced to pay back loans or have interest for a while now after graduating school due to the current presidential administration.

Can't you pay back during residency and not get interest? Plus, With they way things have been heading, no one in the country has been forced to pay back loans or have interest for a while now after graduating school due to the current presidential administration.
Your account will always accrue interest as long as there is any balance no matter if you pay or how much you pay during residency.

Your account will always accrue interest as long as there is any balance no matter if you pay or how much you pay during residency.
Even under the current administration halting payments and interest?

I spent a couple months out of school for a medical reason and didn't accrue interest.

During the grace periods, no interests accrues.

During residency, if you pay income based, isn't there no interest accruing?

Even under the current administration halting payments and interest?

I spent a couple months out of school for a medical reason and didn't accrue interest.

During the grace periods, no interests accrues.

During residency, if you pay income based, isn't there no interest accruing?
Current halt is an exception. No payments required, no interest accruing. Otherwise it should be accruing all the time even during the school or grace periods when payments are not required. Interest starts accruing once loan is disbursed to your account. Repayment requirements are a different thing.

First year at temple here. Sorry you had a bad experience, but I want to make some clarifications so people who are interest in Temple and podiatry schools in general aren’t discouraged by this post. Podiatry already has a record low number of applicants recently, and inflammatory topics like this won’t make it any better. Our profession needs to attract students who are eager to contribute in solving healthcare problems so we can provide better care for patients and advance podiatric medicine, not to turn them away.

I would like to make some clarifications so people reading can get a more honest perspective:

1. Basic sciences aren’t watered down like you suggested. We share the same professors who teach at our sister MD and Dental schools. They are highly qualified and incredibly knowledgeable in their respective field. We’re basically getting the same preclinical education while paying less tuition.
2. I never felt that I had any issues getting help from administration. If you had problems with specific admins, why didn’t you seek help from other outlets?
3. You mentioned dissatisfaction about not getting same recognition or salary as other providers, but why would that matter if you truly want to help patients? Also, most people did their research about podiatry before they applied regarding salary, etc so we know what we were getting into. Fortunately, recent years have shown an increasing trend in podiatric compensation and soon there will be a baby boomer wave reaching >65 years of age. Recognition comes with hard work, patient satisfaction, and making a positive impact in the community. I‘ve had my fair share of good and bad physician encounters, and I never once cared what initials were behind their names. The 11 podiatric schools will produce highly qualified and exceptional graduates as the years progress and the public will be more aware and receptive of podiatry as the result of their hard work.
4. The APMLE board exams assess minimum competency required for a practicing podiatric physician. Most, if not all schools, will cover the material that is on the board. The exam contains vital information to protect the public, so anything they teach regarding APMLE is important no matter what. I do not think you understand the purpose of the board examination to imply that information on the boards doesn’t help to heal patient.
5. Clinical years have a lot of variations since people extern at different locations. Temple has its own Foot and Ankle Institute, affiliated with major hospitals, and a powerhouse of clinical faculty, I believe one of them even wrote Prism Plus that many students use as a resource. Just like most externships, you get what you put into it.
6. I’ll head downstairs later to check the yearbook, but I highly doubt Temple had 135 students in any class recently lol.

Overall, there is a lot of misinformation and discrepancies, but I do wish you well.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
First year at temple here. Sorry you had a bad experience, but I want to make some clarifications so people who are interest in Temple and podiatry schools in general aren’t discouraged by this post. Podiatry already has a record low number of applicants recently, and inflammatory topics like this won’t make it any better. Our profession needs to attract students who are eager to contribute in solving healthcare problems so we can provide better care for patients and advance podiatric medicine, not to turn them away.

I would like to make some clarifications so people reading can get a more honest perspective:

1. Basic sciences aren’t watered down like you suggested. We share the same professors who teach at our sister MD and Dental schools. They are highly qualified and incredibly knowledgeable in their respective field. We’re basically getting the same preclinical education while paying less tuition.
2. I never felt that I had any issues getting help from administration. If you had problems with specific admins, why didn’t you seek help from other outlets?
3. You mentioned dissatisfaction about not getting same recognition or salary as other providers, but why would that matter if you truly want to help patients? Also, most people did their research about podiatry before they applied regarding salary, etc so we know what we were getting into. Fortunately, recent years have shown an increasing trend in podiatric compensation and soon there will be a baby boomer wave reaching >65 years of age. Recognition comes with hard work, patient satisfaction, and making a positive impact in the community. I‘ve had my fair share of good and bad physician encounters, and I never once cared what initials were behind their names. The 11 podiatric schools will produce highly qualified and exceptional graduates as the years progress and the public will be more aware and receptive of podiatry as the result of their hard work.
4. The APMLE board exams assess minimum competency required for a practicing podiatric physician. Most, if not all schools, will cover the material that is on the board. The exam contains vital information to protect the public, so anything they teach regarding APMLE is important no matter what. I do not think you understand the purpose of the board examination to imply that information on the boards doesn’t help to heal patient.
5. Clinical years have a lot of variations since people extern at different locations. Temple has its own Foot and Ankle Institute, affiliated with major hospitals, and a powerhouse of clinical faculty, I believe one of them even wrote Prism Plus that many students use as a resource. Just like most externships, you get what you put into it.
6. I’ll head downstairs later to check the yearbook, but I highly doubt Temple had 135 students in any class recently lol.

Overall, there is a lot of misinformation and discrepancies, but I do wish you well.

You are going to be in for a rude awakening when you hit the real world.

@Bored Snorlax is right guys, it's totally unfair to bash Temple like this. I'm sure the other schools are just as awful.

• Haha
Fortunately, recent years have shown an increasing trend in podiatric compensation a
Where is your source for this? Is this what you hope is happening or do you actually have a source for this statement

Reactions: 2 users
Where is your source for this? Is this what you hope is happening or do you actually have a source for this statement

Here are some I found. It’s been increasing since 2004. It would be more but we can’t even administer vaccine shots in certain states…

Just thought of something interesting, mid-levels are getting increased scope each year largely due to their numbers and lobbyists to influence policymakers. Maybe we shouldn’t try to discourage everyone from entering podiatry so the profession would actually have enough people to advocate for parity or at least more opportunities, which would have a positive effect on compensation and salary. Anyway, gotta hit the books I still have to pass school. Always a pleasure to learn from you guys.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
The lobbying and increased visibility to public argument has been used by leaders for justifying increased enrollment in the past also in addition to the usual aging boomers/diabetes arguments.

No salary survey is perfect but have have you considered inflation?

Also remember in podiatry few make the average, they are either making considerably less or considerably more.

Attachments

• DCADFB8B-3C66-45A0-A86D-194B34153339.jpeg
    DCADFB8B-3C66-45A0-A86D-194B34153339.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 645F8994-F421-468A-A6E3-A1F6F8ED4C5B.jpeg
    645F8994-F421-468A-A6E3-A1F6F8ED4C5B.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 71
The lobbying and increased visibility to public argument has been used by leaders for justifying increased enrollment in the past also in addition to the usual aging boomers/diabetes arguments.

No salary survey is perfect but have have you considered inflation?

Also remember in podiatry few make the average, they are either making considerably less or considerably more.
This is the first time in history where every boomer will be 65 or older by 2030. I understand your skepticism, but I’d like to give it a shot at least.

What would discouraging people from podiatry accomplish? We’d be stuck with the same status quo and there will be even less people to advocate for the advancement of the field. Sure, there’d be more demands with fewer pods, but would that increase parity for podiatrists with decreased public awareness and representation? Probably just an increased numbers of memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.