TUSPM VS NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awkotaco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've recently been accepted to NYCPM for the incoming January class (so exciting)! And had my interview with TUSPM recently and absolutely LOVED IT. I've been really up and down on my feelings, at first I really liked NYCPM and then I really like TUSPM. I've heard my fair share of the cons of NYCPM and honestly no cons to TUSPM.

I really don't know where to choose so any insight will be helpful!

I currently live in NY with my family, but if I went to NYCPM I would get an apt near school anyways since the commute would be pretty long. I’ve made a good number of connections with DPMs in NY and graduates of NYCPM and with current students so I have that advantage. I have NO issues going to school in Philly, I do not have intentions to definitively practice in NY so going away for school is alright with me.

My heart kind of says to go to Temple right now, but I'm not sure if I'm just thinking that because I've recently heard more negative things about NYCPM. If you know of any negatives for Temple please send them my way as well!
Please let me know any of your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Between the two schools, I think they are both equal when it comes to curriculum rigors, class schedules, exams per week, and students' facilities.
I'm not sure if Temple students have mandatory attendance, but NYCPM does (up to 70%, I believe), so something to think about.
Also, when you factor in the two programs' overall costs, I believe NYCPM will be cheaper than Temple. But do the math and let us know.
Finally, there are youtube videos from current Temple students (vlogs), so def check them out but remember it's just an opinion from one person.

Another thing to take into account is to zoom lectures vs live: If you start in Jan at NYCPM, you will most likely be on Zoom, whereas Live for Temple..granted the majority are vaccinated by then. So, would you wait for live lectures or want to stay home and finish a few classes via Zoom?

Reactions: 1 user
Do check out the past threads as well:

Members don't see this ad :)
Between the two schools, I think they are both equal when it comes to curriculum rigors, class schedules, exams per week, and students' facilities.
I'm not sure if Temple students have mandatory attendance, but NYCPM does (up to 70%, I believe), so something to think about.
Also, when you factor in the two programs' overall costs, I believe NYCPM will be cheaper than Temple. But do the math and let us know.
Finally, there are youtube videos from current Temple students (vlogs), so def check them out but remember it's just an opinion from one person.

Another thing to take into account is to zoom lectures vs live: If you start in Jan at NYCPM, you will most likely be on Zoom, whereas Live for Temple..granted the majority are vaccinated by then. So, would you wait for live lectures or want to stay home and finish a few classes via Zoom?
Temple has mandatory attendance for some courses but I liked how it’s not everyday 9-5 like NYCPM.
As for pricing, I don’t know how much I’ve received in scholarships from Temple yet, so once I do I will have a better idea then. But NY would probably be cheaper overall.
I don’t mind having zoom classes. For the Jan start date at NYCPM, I chose the hybrid mode which means all lectures would be on zoom and then anatomy lab would be in person 2x a week. I have no problem with this and is better for me anyways since I can commute from home for the spring semester.

my overall impression of Temple was a bit more professional and academic than NYCPM. I also got the impression that there are more clinical podatric research opportunities for students
The technology seems a bit more advanced at TUSPM, like their gait lab, anatomy lab having computers, etc. I’m not sure if this is very accurate but I got that kind of impression.

I’m not sure if it is a positive thing that most clerkships take place at Temple’s main hospital and their foot and ankle institute. Whereas, at NYCPM Theyre at the foot and ankle institute and at Metropolitan, Lincoln, Harlem, and Mt Sinai hospital.

Also I heard some horror stories about NYCPM’s administration...I kind of got the vibe that they’re out to get the students rather than wanting them to succeed...

Also I heard some horror stories about NYCPM’s administration...I kind of got the vibe that they’re out to get the students rather than wanting them to succeed...

Lol, that's not true; if you put in the work, you will pass and move on. Every program wants its students to succeed and match and so on because the success depends on their accreditation process, so the better the students at a program perform in terms of residency/4-year retention rate, apmle pass%...the more likely that program gets accredited by the CPME again.

If you can commute to NYCPM and don't need an APT then goto NYCPM...you can save close to 40-60K by commuting.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at both back to back. I chose Temple. Feel free to pm to hear the rationale behind my decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol, that's not true; if you put in the work, you will pass and move on. Every program wants its students to succeed and match and so on because the success depends on their accreditation process, so the better the students at a program perform in terms of residency/4-year retention rate, apmle pass%...the more likely that program gets accredited by the CPME again.

If you can commute to NYCPM and don't need an APT then goto NYCPM...you can save close to 40-60K by commuting.

I definitely wont be commuting, its an hour and a half each way. I really dont want to waste that time commuting. I know that I can study on the train and stuff, but after commuting for work it was absolute torture for me. I was physically and mentally exhausted EVERY SINGLE DAY.