NYCPM safey issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDandreea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just visited today NYCPM and I didn't like at all the area it is stuated in. How are the students attending the school managing that area? how do they commute? i mean my only concern is coming in and leaving because most likely i will not leave in that area. i will lokk for an apartment in astoria. do students usually leave together in groups at the end of classes so that they are safer in group? does the school have so records of vilence in the past?
i would appreciate your input
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I just visited today NYCPM and I didn't like at all the area it is stuated in. How are the students attending the school managing that area? how do they commute? i mean my only concern is coming in and leaving because most likely i will not leave in that area. i will lokk for an apartment in astoria. do students usually leave together in groups at the end of classes so that they are safer in group? does the school have so records of vilence in the past?
thanks

I felt safe there at all hours of the day. not everyone else does.

Things happen everywhere even in supposidly very safe neighborhoods.

If you do not feel comfortable in a certain area though - this will affect your ability to learn and get the most out of the school and the environment for 4 years.

Go to the school that you are comfortable with including the neighborhood so that you can maximize your education.

ive worked in that area since i was 15 ... i lived in astoria ..... most of this is a sterotype... the school is in a lively area of harlem .... it is not surrounded in projects ....its not that bad.... plus all means of transportation are feet away .... on top of that the area is currently changing ....

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks

NYU student was killed at 125th and Park a couple years ago.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/10/n...=1&scp=2&sq=hit by car park ave harlem&st=cse

It might look bad but I didn't face any problem so far. It's safer than it looks.

No offense, but I wouldn't judge the safety of a neighborhood on one single incident. Bad things happen everywhere.

Take the proper precautions (be confident, act like you belong and know where you're going) and you'll be fine. I'm grew up in a town of 2,000 people in the Midwest and I feel completely safe here. Plus, it's not like you're going to be spending much time in the neighborhood other than walking the two blocks to and from the subway.