NYCPM vs. Barry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweettea247

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, a friend of mine is applying this upcoming cycle and wanted to know out of Barry and NYCPM, which education would be more rewarding? Which school has higher board passing rates and a stronger curriculum? He is really into the sports medicine aspect at Barry, but he likes the clinical experience at NYCPM (and not to mention the city life). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

:)

Last edited:
I'm ::slightly:: biased, too as I love living in NYC! And the rumors are true, NYC is a very progressive, liberal city, but so am I so works for me!

NYC's clinic experience is fantastic. I'll be starting my 3rd year after the boards (wish me luck!) and have already started working in the clinic and I feel like I already know so much more. Because of the sheer volume of patients and the population surrounding the hospitals, you just see so many different pathologies and you learn so much - it's truly rewarding and it solidifies everything you learn in class.

I've never been down to Barry but I'm sure it's gorgeous (in beautiful, sunny Miami), so I can't comment on it. I have talked to people from Barry and they love it and I know it's a great school. When it comes to strength of curriculum, I'm almost positive all the schools have the same, very strong curriculum (everyone takes the same classes) - that might be a difficult one to compare.

At the end of the proverbial day, it depends on where he's comfortable - where he feels would be a good fit. But, if you or your friend has any specific questions about NYCPM please feel free to PM me and I'll answer them for ya!

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps I am biased... but Miami city life (for things I like) competes if not beats NYC. I will admit that NYC probably has us bested in pride parades and musicals. Things are a lot less Progressive/Liberal Here (You can buy large sodas, FL is leading the charge to Stop Obamacare, etc.)

One of my good friends attends NYCPM. She enjoys it a lot. I think all Pod Schools have strengths and weaknesses.

My Opinion: If you are a good student and put in the work then you will do well at either School

Also, Go Heat! #1

At least 1/2 of your posts are politically motivated.

:)

Last edited:
I'm glad your all-star team won a championship.

One reply, like the previous one, haha. I don't think it is wrong for friends to want to play with each other. Lebron and Bosh took Pay Cuts when they came to Miami. Teams like the Lakers have recruited All-stars for years.

Lebron's televised "Decision" raised millions of dollars for charity (Boys and Girls Club). He is a stand up guy.

Even if you do not like the Heat, root for Team Podiatry! The Miami Heat have a Great team podiatrist, Dr. Losito (Who is also a professor at Barry). Not all professional sports teams have podiatrists on their medical staffs. I am not sure if the Thunder have one, but maybe they would of performed better if they did.

Either school would be fine. I loved Miami, the busy clinics, diversity in patient population, the weather, and watching the national champions play ball.