NYIT-COM (NYCOM) vs DMU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed12080

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have had the pleasure of being accepted to both the New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM, formerly the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine or NYCOM), in addition to DMU-COM (Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine). I am torn about which to go to. I grew up in downstate New York, but now live in the midwest, and I really like both. I plan to eventually practice somewhere urban with warm weather. Can anyone with knowledge of the two schools weigh in? Here is a brief pro/con list I have for both:

DMU pros:
-High entrance statistics (3.7c/s, 28.2 MCAT)/ VERY high average comlex board scores (and USMLE pass rates)
-State of the art and modern facilities, amazing simulation lab, surgical skills lab
-Very cheap cost of attendance (tuition of ~42,000 with minimal living expenses b/c it's the midwest)
-High level of student camaraderie and overall happy students- most students live within walking or short driving distance of each other and the school, so more opportunity for hanging out (compared to NYIT-COM, which is more of a commuter school, and students tend to live far from each other)
-Well established global medicine rotation opportunities and community outreach opportunities
-Extremely well established school (founded in 1898 compared to NYIT-COM which was founded in the 1970's)
-Very warm feeling to the school, faculty, and students
-Pretty good residency match list (very high ratio of allopathic:oops:steopathic residencies)
-One of the best OMM programs- even if you don't end up practicing OMM, it still is extremely helpful when you go to take the COMLEX
-It's one of the few DO schools that actually offers merit based scholarships and grants.
-Has a very decent amount of opportunities for doing research in the labs of faculty members on-site
DMU Cons:
-Clinical rotations; may have to end up traveling to different areas of the country (only so many spots at year-long sites), and some of them are at smaller hospitals or community hospitals where you may not get as much variety in patient population and state of the art technology/procedures
-Only has a handful of residency programs sponsored by DMU as part of its OPTI
-It's a relatively small school in the midwest; so its not too well known in places like New York and California, but is really good if you're staying in the midwest
-Des Moines is an extremely homogenous place (over 85% caucasian in the city).
-VERY heavy family medicine focus: About 60 students from last year's class matched in family medicine; which is great if you want to become a family medicine doc, but not too desirable for everyone else. This can also be interpreted as those people matching in FM as having less competitive applications b/c FM is one of the least competitive residencies.

NYIT-COM Pros:
-CLINICAL ROTATIONS: This is arguably the best thing about NYIT-COM; they have strong affiliations with world renowned hospitals like St. Barnabas in the Bronx, and overall you get to do your rotations at New York City Hospitals (you can't really beat that as far as the caliber of the people you will work with and the diversity of faculty/patients/cases). Even during 4th year, you can easily manage to do all of your electives within driving or commuting distance of where you live, whereas you're almost guaranteed to have to travel and find places to live for a couple months at a time for DMU.
-Great reputation in the NY area.
-Affiliated with a relatively large, albeit medium-reputation university (new york institute of technology)
-Located in the beginning part of Long Island, right near New York City- arguably the cultural center of the country.
-Sponsors the largest osteopathic residency consortium, NYCOMEC, which has a lot of great residencies in the NY/NJ area

NYIT-COM Cons:
-HUGE class size of ~300- means little individual attention, more competition among students, harder to stand out
-Having a really annoying new acronym that most people will take years to catch on to (no one will have heard of NYIT-COM, only NYCOM)
-Crappy, run down campus, at least compared to DMU (e.g. they only have two simulation manikins for a class size of 300, whereas DMU has around 10, and a much smaller class size, which means you probably get more time with them at DMU)
-REALLY high tuition: aside from the additional $13,000 per year in just tuition compared to DMU ($55,000 vs $42,000), if you believe the school's cost of attendance allowance, the cost of living sky rockets your costs (long island and NYC are expensive places compared to Iowa), and you will likely pay around $80,000 more than if you went DMU (just for reference, when I interviewed at DMU, I got gas for $2.99 a gallon. That's the first time I've ever actually seen gas cost less than $3.00/gallon since I started driving)
-Less competitive entrance statistics, and generally easier to get into d/t huge class size
-They put a substantial amount of effort, money, and focus into their "Doctor patient continuum" curriculum, which is great (although not something I'm interested in personally), but this is only available for 40 out of 300 students per class, which is just so insignificant. They also said that the students in this program don't actually do any better on the boards than the rest of the class who operate on the "lecture based discussion" curriculum
-It's really a commuter school, so you don't end up living near most of your classmates who come from all over, which doesn't foster camaraderie, collaboration, or strong bonds with others.
-The interview experience was incredibly lacking compared to DMU- the actual interviewer, who was a physician, seemed very, for lack of a better word, dumb, and they didn't give us many details about the school such as average board scores. When schools hold back this info, it usually means that they're not really proud of it.

I appreciate any comments or feedback that you are willing to provide to help me decide between the two.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU if you intend to match in the midwest. NYCOM if you intend to match in the tri-state area

Reactions: 1 users
Ditto DrZombie, but I'd make DMU work for me regardless with the cost difference alone.

Seems like you've already made the gut decision, judging from your stacked pros/cons favoring DMU

It's funny you say nyitcom is easier
To get into. I got an ii from dmu but nothing from nyit.
I would've definitely have gone to dmu, but my heart was set on Nova/Miami metro area lolz

Ditto DrZombie, but I'd make DMU work for me regardless with the cost difference alone.

Seems like you've already made the gut decision, judging from your stacked pros/cons favoring DMU

True it is 15k difference. But I've seen The match list for NYIT and it's pretty strong. I'd be willing to swallow the 15k if it meant having a good chance at a good match in a desirable hospital in the tri-state (since that's where I wanna practice).

I fear that if I go to DMU, the NY/NJ hospitals will be biased towards the NYCOM guys since they are familiar with that school's graduates.

It's a 20K difference, per year...

80K.

With interest, pushing 6 figures...

I still get your point, and I'd rather have NYITs match, hands down. But IDK if it's a 100 grand difference.

Reactions: 1 user
So I have had the pleasure of being accepted to both the New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM, formerly the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine or NYCOM), in addition to DMU-COM (Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine). I am torn about which to go to. I grew up in downstate New York, but now live in the midwest, and I really like both. I plan to eventually practice somewhere urban with warm weather. Can anyone with knowledge of the two schools weigh in? Here is a brief pro/con list I have for both:

DMU pros:
-High entrance statistics (3.7c/s, 28.2 MCAT)/ VERY high average comlex board scores (and USMLE pass rates)
-State of the art and modern facilities, amazing simulation lab, surgical skills lab
-Very cheap cost of attendance (tuition of ~42,000 with minimal living expenses b/c it's the midwest)
-High level of student camaraderie and overall happy students- most students live within walking or short driving distance of each other and the school, so more opportunity for hanging out (compared to NYIT-COM, which is more of a commuter school, and students tend to live far from each other)
-Well established global medicine rotation opportunities and community outreach opportunities
-Extremely well established school (founded in 1898 compared to NYIT-COM which was founded in the 1970's)
-Very warm feeling to the school, faculty, and students
-Pretty good residency match list (very high ratio of allopathic:oops:steopathic residencies)
-One of the best OMM programs- even if you don't end up practicing OMM, it still is extremely helpful when you go to take the COMLEX
-It's one of the few DO schools that actually offers merit based scholarships and grants.
-Has a very decent amount of opportunities for doing research in the labs of faculty members on-site
DMU Cons:
-Clinical rotations; may have to end up traveling to different areas of the country (only so many spots at year-long sites), and some of them are at smaller hospitals or community hospitals where you may not get as much variety in patient population and state of the art technology/procedures
-Only has a handful of residency programs sponsored by DMU as part of its OPTI
-It's a relatively small school in the midwest; so its not too well known in places like New York and California, but is really good if you're staying in the midwest
-Des Moines is an extremely homogenous place (over 85% caucasian in the city).
-VERY heavy family medicine focus: About 60 students from last year's class matched in family medicine; which is great if you want to become a family medicine doc, but not too desirable for everyone else. This can also be interpreted as those people matching in FM as having less competitive applications b/c FM is one of the least competitive residencies.

NYIT-COM Pros:
-CLINICAL ROTATIONS: This is arguably the best thing about NYIT-COM; they have strong affiliations with world renowned hospitals like St. Barnabas in the Bronx, and overall you get to do your rotations at New York City Hospitals (you can't really beat that as far as the caliber of the people you will work with and the diversity of faculty/patients/cases). Even during 4th year, you can easily manage to do all of your electives within driving or commuting distance of where you live, whereas you're almost guaranteed to have to travel and find places to live for a couple months at a time for DMU.
-Great reputation in the NY area.
-Affiliated with a relatively large, albeit medium-reputation university (new york institute of technology)
-Located in the beginning part of Long Island, right near New York City- arguably the cultural center of the country.
-Sponsors the largest osteopathic residency consortium, NYCOMEC, which has a lot of great residencies in the NY/NJ area

NYIT-COM Cons:
-HUGE class size of ~300- means little individual attention, more competition among students, harder to stand out
-Having a really annoying new acronym that most people will take years to catch on to (no one will have heard of NYIT-COM, only NYCOM)
-Crappy, run down campus, at least compared to DMU (e.g. they only have two simulation manikins for a class size of 300, whereas DMU has around 10, and a much smaller class size, which means you probably get more time with them at DMU)
-REALLY high tuition: aside from the additional $13,000 per year in just tuition compared to DMU ($55,000 vs $42,000), if you believe the school's cost of attendance allowance, the cost of living sky rockets your costs (long island and NYC are expensive places compared to Iowa), and you will likely pay around $80,000 more than if you went DMU (just for reference, when I interviewed at DMU, I got gas for $2.99 a gallon. That's the first time I've ever actually seen gas cost less than $3.00/gallon since I started driving)
-Less competitive entrance statistics, and generally easier to get into d/t huge class size
-They put a substantial amount of effort, money, and focus into their "Doctor patient continuum" curriculum, which is great (although not something I'm interested in personally), but this is only available for 40 out of 300 students per class, which is just so insignificant. They also said that the students in this program don't actually do any better on the boards than the rest of the class who operate on the "lecture based discussion" curriculum
-It's really a commuter school, so you don't end up living near most of your classmates who come from all over, which doesn't foster camaraderie, collaboration, or strong bonds with others.
-The interview experience was incredibly lacking compared to DMU- the actual interviewer, who was a physician, seemed very, for lack of a better word, dumb, and they didn't give us many details about the school such as average board scores. When schools hold back this info, it usually means that they're not really proud of it.

I appreciate any comments or feedback that you are willing to provide to help me decide between the two.
Considering what is most important for your future (where you want to live, clinical rotation experiences, residency placement, ...), NYIT-COM would be a better choice. NYIT-COM had a great match this year.

I would go to DMU unless you want to do your residency in NYC. NYIT will be a better choice if you want to train in NYC.

How is this a question? DMU. NYCOM has about a 10% attrition rate.

Considering what is most important for your future (where you want to live, clinical rotation experiences, residency placement, ...), NYIT-COM would be a better choice. NYIT-COM had a great match this year.
I don't understand it when people say "go to X school if you want to do residency in that area/state." Getting residency has nothing to do with what med school you go to (in terms of location). You might be favored if you did well on rotations at a hospital in the area, but by no means is attending A school in/near NYC a guarantee you'll be doing residency in NYC (for example)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, of all the comments on here regarding that, you picked mine? I was just referring to NYIT-COM performing better in the match than DMU. Doesn't have anything to do with the city.

Haha it's not just you... Other people say that and it makes me wonder what they mean by that ;)

It's really tough to say which school did better in the match. As a new yorker, it looks like NYIT-COM did much better in the match because I have heard of most of the hospitals on the match list. On the other hand, DMU's residency matches are mostly in the midwest, and I have never heard of most of them. As far as ACGME vs AOA accredited residencies, if you use this as a quality measure (assuming that you believe that ACGME residencies are better and more competitive than AOA residencies), DMU averages a higher proportion of ACGME accredited residencies. You have to take this with a grain of salt though, as a large portion of NYIT-COM students go into NYCOMEC residencies, which are AOA, but are theoretically still pretty good b/c they're at NY metro area hospitals.

I'd say DMU, but I'm pretty biased. That price tag is a huge difference though. I know you may prefer to live in NYC but is that worth 100k?

Also take into account the difference in the students that go to each of the schools. Saying that NYIT has better matches, especially because it has less in FM is not indicative of better mtches per se. What it could also likely mean is tht DMU attracts a lot of students who want to practice FM in the mid-west. Does not 100% mean this, but it shouldnt be ruled out. I am sure there are also students from the past few years who matched into competitive residencies in chicago and such, who came from DMU.

I' m on the clinical faculty of one, my cousin attended the other... go to DMU. If you're interested in doing a residency in NYC then do external rotations there.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't understand it when people say "go to X school if you want to do residency in that area/state." Getting residency has nothing to do with what med school you go to (in terms of location). You might be favored if you did well on rotations at a hospital in the area, but by no means is attending A school in/near NYC a guarantee you'll be doing residency in NYC (for example)

No it doesn't but programs in that region will be more familiar with the students from that regional school due to a student possibly matching from the regional school versus a school that is a 1000 miles away.

When you are towards the end of medical school, you will realize that programs, especially with regards to DO students, will match DOs from the school they are familiar with/ have prior experiences with.

source: I am a matched 4th year DO student

that being said, to answer OPs question: I would go with DMU solely based on your pros/cons list. If you are familiar with a program in the NY/NJ/PA area and have seen NYCOM students match there, or have strong family ties, then go to NYCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
No it doesn't but programs in that region will be more familiar with the students from that regional school due to a student possibly matching from the regional school versus a school that is a 1000 miles away.

When you are towards the end of medical school, you will realize that programs, especially with regards to DO students, will match DOs from the school they are familiar with/ have prior experiences with.

source: I am a matched 4th year DO student

that being said, to answer OPs question: I would go with DMU solely based on your pros/cons list. If you are familiar with a program in the NY/NJ/PA area and have seen NYCOM students match there, or have strong family ties, then go to NYCOM.

Has any DO matched into a Dermatology program? Recently I mean.

I strongly believe going to NYIT or Touro-NY does help your odds of matching in NYC probably for the reasons jumpmanv15 outlined.

Has any DO matched into a Dermatology program? Recently I mean.

4 DOs matched acgme derm last year. I think one was from DMU.

42 matched AOA derm this year. 2014 acgme match data hasn't been released yet.

So after doing more research, the cost of attendance can't be trusted, so I'd estimate the overall cost difference to be closer to 50k. I hear what you guys are saying about the NYC programs being more familiar with nycom, but doesn't it really just come down to board scores and recommendations? I'm also not sure how difficult it would be to do 4th year electives in NYC as a dmu student which is another big factor. With nycom's curriculum up in the air, it seems like I would have a better chance of acing the boards as a dmu student. It also seems like nycom, as a whole, has done relatively worse on the boards based on the fact that it's near impossible to find out what their average scores are (if they were really that amazing, don't you think they would advertise them?).

In case anyone was curious, I ended up choosing DMUCOM over NYIT-COM.

Reactions: 3 users