NYIT-JB vs CCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgProtector

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Accepted to both CCOM and NYIT-Jonesboro. Which should I choose for an anticipated surgical route?

Members don't see this ad.

The one where you want to live for the next 2-4 years and the one thats cheaper.

Really though, if one of them has a better research program that will allow you to get some non basic science pubs/posters done I'd go there. If you're dead set on surgery you're going to need research and a solid step 2 CK score since step 1 will be p/f for your class. Don't envy DO students with p/f step 1 especially if COMLEX decides to do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do not go to CCOM, it is way over-priced for what you get. $73K per year in tuition provides that school a profit margin which is comparable to a drug deal. Do more research in regard to the match data for each school. Both of these schools place most of their students in primary care. If you expect to take a surgical route at either school, you will be an exception to the rule match wise. As an illustrative point, here are the 2018 Match Statistics for CCOM:

CCOM 2018 Match by Specialty

• Anesthesiology - 9
  • Emergency Medicine - 22
  • Family Medicine - 57
  • General Surgery - 1
  • Internal Medicine - 49
  • OB/GYN - 5
  • Pediatrics - 16
  • Other - 45

Reactions: 2 users
Do not go to CCOM, it is way over-priced for what you get. $73K per year in tuition provides that school a profit margin which is comparable to a drug deal. Do more research in regard to the match data for each school. Both of these schools place most of their students in primary care. If you expect to take a surgical route at either school, you will be an exception to the rule match wise. As an illustrative point, here are the 2018 Match Statistics for CCOM:

CCOM 2018 Match by Specialty

• Anesthesiology - 9
  • Emergency Medicine - 22
  • Family Medicine - 57
  • General Surgery - 1
  • Internal Medicine - 49
  • OB/GYN - 5
  • Pediatrics - 16
  • Other - 45

Woof thats rough...73k tuition is comical

Reactions: 1 user
I just looked tuition for CCOM here: https://www.midwestern.edu/Documents-/Financial Aid/Downers Grove COA budgets/CCOM_IL 2021 final.pdf

Tuition is 74k. Total COA is 102.5k per year if you decide to live on campus. In 4 years, you are looking 427,703k.

I can not justify any medical school for that much. It is quite crazy and not worth to be in that huge of a debt. This does not include the interest accrued over time.

Select NYIT-AR. Going for surgery as a DO will be tough to begin with regardless of either campus. Pass S1, Kill S2, do well academically, and see if you can do research.