NYITCOM (OW) vs CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsupdoc3290

Reaction score
Hello! I am very grateful to be accepted to both schools but I am having a hard time deciding between them. I have some pros and cons written below, but I also would appreciate opinions and experiences!

NYITCOM:
Pros:
well-established
non-mandatory classes and p/F curriculum
has opportunities to get experiences in rural and urban areas
lots of research opportunities
clinical rotations in NY + NJ
good match list

Cons:
expensive and higher COL
High attrition rate??
mixed reviews about the school
heard that there is a lack of clinical rotations??

CUSOM
Pros:
cheaper and lower COL
good research opportunities
students and staff super friendly at interview day
100% placement rate
good match list
very good board scores

Cons:
newer school
rural location
attendance policy

Edit: updated my pros and cons, and what I'm most concerned about is which school has better quality rotations, and prepares their students the best for board exams and residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How much cheaper is CUSOM? It’s a bit more rural but you’re within an hour of Raleigh so it’s not isolated.

A 4 hour trip means you won’t visit home more often vs the 6.5 hour trip.

Reactions: 1 user
are you sure that CUSOM has a 100% match rate or do they have a 100% placement rate? It is most likely the second one because there is a difference.

Also if it is actually a 100% match rate then maybe try to find a current or former student and see if administration "suggests" students apply to less competitive programs to pad the institutions stats.

Personally I am pro being near NYC for the research opportunities and networking that come with being in a major city, but that should not sway you too much if everything else points to CUSOM.

How much cheaper is CUSOM? It’s a bit more rural but you’re within an hour of Raleigh so it’s not isolated.

A 4 hour trip means you won’t visit home more often vs the 6.5 hour trip.
CUSOM's tuition is about $55,000 and NYITCOM's is $60,450, and Long Island has a higher COL than near CUSOM. I should have included this in my original post but I'm more concerned about how well both schools prepare students for their board exams and residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you sure that CUSOM has a 100% match rate or do they have a 100% placement rate? It is most likely the second one because there is a difference.

Also if it is actually a 100% match rate then maybe try to find a current or former student and see if administration "suggests" students apply to less competitive programs to pad the institutions stats.

Personally I am pro being near NYC for the research opportunities and networking that come with being in a major city, but that should not sway you too much if everything else points to CUSOM.
Oops I meant placement rate was 100%. Thank you, I'll look into what residency programs CUSOM students matched into. I'm currently leaning towards NYITCOM for the research opportunities and connections but I am concerned about the cost is since the COL is higher in NYC. The main difference I'm looking for is which school has better rotations, and prepares their students best for board exams, and residency.

CUSOM's tuition is about $55,000 and NYITCOM's is $60,450, and Long Island has a higher COL than near CUSOM. I should have included this in my original post but I'm more concerned about how well both schools prepare students for their board exams and residency.
They won't be that different from each other from a residency perspective. CUSOM has had higher board scores on COMLEX and as you wrote, has good research opportunities still. Students can do work in Research Triangle with people at Duke and UNC.