NYITCOM vs AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I attend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tcon91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I've won the lottery here. I have been fortunate enough to earn an acceptance to both schools and I'm very grateful for that. However, I'm having a real hard time deciding on which school to attend. I'm pretty set on specializing, hopefully in Cardiology. Is one school better over the other? During my interviews I was pretty impressed with AZCOM and not so impressed at NYCOM but this could be because of the student ambassadors that were assigned on my day (they seemed uninterested and didn't seem to know much). I expect NYCOM to have better quality rotations than AZCOM. Is this the case? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Both schools are good. If you're specializing in cardiology, you're basically going into internal medicine first.

Go wherever it is cheaper.

NYCOM has an advantage of location AND it's cheaper. NYC has plenty of opportunities.

I am from the Northeast, so my opinion may be biased. Since tuition isn't that much different between the two ($5k a year difference,) go to the school you feel more comfortable with, and consider the location and rotations.

I would try to find some scholarships to decrease that tuition...going more than $200k in just principal and then + interest, you'll be paying the loans off for quite a while...

Last edited:
Congratulations! Both are great schools but very different.
AZCOM's clinical locations are located all over Arizona and southern California while most of NYITCOM's are in Bronx/Brooklyn or Long Island. Most of the clinical locations for AZCOM don't have residency programs. Although, I've heard that the Midwestern name takes you far in the DO matching world.
AZCOM's class size is about 100 students less than NYITCOM.
There is a fair amount of research at both schools if you look hard enough for it.
Also, make sure to look at the weather for both schools. It's Long Island vs. Arizona.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both schools are good. If you're specializing in cardiology, you're basically going into internal medicine first.

Go wherever it is cheaper.

NYCOM has an advantage of location AND it's cheaper. NYC has plenty of opportunities.

I am from the Northeast, so my opinion may be biased. Since tuition isn't that much different between the two ($5k a year difference,) go to the school you feel more comfortable with, and consider the location and rotations.

I would try to find some scholarships to decrease that tuition...going more than $200k in just principal and then + interest, you'll be paying the loans off for quite a while...

assuming one doesn't already live close to either, NYITCOM most likely comes out a tiny bit more more expensive than AZCOM. cost of living in nassau county new york is very very high compared to phoenix arizona. i'd probably estimate it'll be like 30%-40% cheaper living in phoenix than nassau county.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Hopefully this helps others facing the same decision. My D.O. that I shadowed says and I quote " If you do not have a regional preference, you would have to be crazy not take NYCOM" . Take that for what it's worth.

I haven't made my decision yet but I'm now leaning towards NYCOM since I do live 30 minutes away. I could always move to Phoenix for residency or whatever.

Here's the really important thing: deli food and/or NY Pizza vs Mexican.

I eat everything but I have no idea if I could live without NY pizza....seriously

Reactions: 1 users
I think the question is really just whether you would prefer to live and practice in New York/Northeast US or Pheonix/Southwest US. Sure it is possible to match into residency across the country or whatever, but you will have a leg up matching in a similar area to your school, especially if you are gunning for a competitive IM residency.

I think the question is really just whether you would prefer to live and practice in New York/Northeast US or Pheonix/Southwest US. Sure it is possible to match into residency across the country or whatever, but you will have a leg up matching in a similar area to your school, especially if you are gunning for a competitive IM residency.

That may be true but here's something interesting I did. I went on google and did a search for DO cardiologist in Glendale, AZ. What I found was the majority of these DO's went to NYCOM or ATSU SOMA. I don't know where they did their residency at but it was interesting nonetheless.

That may be true but here's something interesting I did. I went on google and did a search for DO cardiologist in Glendale, AZ. What I found was the majority of these DO's went to NYCOM or ATSU SOMA. I don't know where they did their residency at but it was interesting nonetheless.

AZCOM is 20 or so years newer than NYCOM, so that would explain why the prominent physicians (the one's that come up on a quick google) didn't go there.

I am surprised about ATSU though. That school was established in 2007, so it graduated it first class in 2011 and its first residents should only just be finishing up now. I can't imagine any cardiologists went there? Unless they did an AOA residency there?

AZCOM is 20 or so years newer than NYCOM, so that would explain why the prominent physicians (the one's that come up on a quick google) didn't go there.

I am surprised about ATSU though. That school was established in 2007, so it graduated it first class in 2011 and its first residents should only just be finishing up now. I can't imagine any cardiologists went there? Unless they did an AOA residency there?

That is a good point. You know what, I may be mistaking SOMA for Kirksville. I'm not sure. I did that search a few weeks ago. I also forgot to mention PCOM.

I feel like I've won the lottery here. I have been fortunate enough to earn an acceptance to both schools and I'm very grateful for that. However, I'm having a real hard time deciding on which school to attend. I'm pretty set on specializing, hopefully in Cardiology. Is one school better over the other? During my interviews I was pretty impressed with AZCOM and not so impressed at NYCOM but this could be because of the student ambassadors that were assigned on my day (they seemed uninterested and didn't seem to know much). I expect NYCOM to have better quality rotations than AZCOM. Is this the case? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

NYIT

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies everyone! Hopefully this helps others facing the same decision. My D.O. that I shadowed says and I quote " If you do not have a regional preference, you would have to be crazy not take NYCOM" . Take that for what it's worth.

I haven't made my decision yet but I'm now leaning towards NYCOM since I do live 30 minutes away. I could always move to Phoenix for residency or whatever.

I eat everything but I have no idea if I could live without NY pizza....seriously

that's probably because the DO you shadowed knows NYCOM because it is close. if you shadowed DOs in the west and midwest, they would know their respective nearest schools and not the east coast schools.

also, while it is correct you can move to another state for residency, it is pretty damn convenient to go to med school where you want residency. if you want west coast you can select west coast, if you want east coast you can select east. you most likely won't go wrong with either and they stand pretty close in terms of overall reputation on SDN, but you live close to NYCOM so that should be your bias unless you dislike/are bored of northeast.

that's probably because the DO you shadowed knows NYCOM because it is close. if you shadowed DOs in the west and midwest, they would know their respective nearest schools and not the east coast schools.

also, while it is correct you can move to another state for residency, it is pretty damn convenient to go to med school where you want residency. if you want west coast you can select west coast, if you want east coast you can select east. you most likely won't go wrong with either and they stand pretty close in terms of overall reputation on SDN, but you live close to NYCOM so that should be your bias unless you dislike/are bored of northeast.

Makes sense. To be honest I think NY cost of living is insane for no real good reason and I would like to go south eventually. But I do have family here. Don't want to underestimate the importance of a support system.

Makes sense. To be honest I think NY cost of living is insane for no real good reason and I would like to go south eventually. But I do have family here. Don't want to underestimate the importance of a support system.

family is important unless you are one who makes long term friends quickly. medical school most likely gets lonely sometimes.

however, coming from NYCOM, if you wanted to do multiple elective rotations, like auditions, to try to secure a spot at a good residency program in the south or midwest, it'll likely cost you more travel money and possibly more procedure time to set up.

Loneliness is one thing. I was also thinking if there was an emergency it would be important to have family nearby.

Definitely don't underestimate having a strong support system nearby. Stuff happens all the time during med school , and having people to be there for you is priceless. There's a lot more to life than just education

You don't have to shovel sunshine in the winter.