NYMC Accelerated M.S. Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdsbird2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen anything in here about NYMC's post-bac program and I just got offered an interview for their program.

Any advice or comments at all about this programs/school/etc? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance email yesterday! This is their first year running this program, although they've been doing the 2-year traditional program for a while. From what they told me, the two programs are completely separate and have nothing to do with one another - different classes (accelerated take classes with the M1 students), different schedule, etc.

I was debating b/w Georgetown and NYMC, but I got such a good vibe when I visited (beautiful campus, so close to NYC, etc.) that I decided on NYMC in the end. AND, it's limited to 25 students, so you get more personal attention which was very important to me.

I've heard whispers that it's very much like the EVMS program in that you kinda slide right into their medical school upon completing the program, and NYMC itself has excellent board results (something like 99%) and matches (esp. to California). Hope that helps.

In case you wanted to know, my stats were: 3.01 BMCP, 3.62 overall, 29Q MCAT and very strong clinical and research experience (which they really liked). I'm really excited, but I don't really know anyone else that's going. Anyone also get accepted? They didn't advertise much, so not as many people know about it.

thanks for the info...i am glad to hear it might be like the evms one because I want that result but dont want to be in Virginia

Members don't see this ad :)
I was emailing back and forth with the program director back in Feb. and he was very prompt in his replies and very willing to answer questions. He stated that this past year was the first "trial run" of the accelerated program and it only had one student in it. According to him that male student was already holding an acceptance to medical school. He said they were increasing the class size to an unset number but said it would remain small. At any rate, they have a 100% acceptance rate! Good luck!

I just had a telephone interview on Friday. Specific questions included research experience, why I took the MCAT twice in the same month, clinical volunteering, what do you like to do for fun... etc

Stats:
3.5 ugpa
3.5 BCMP
32P

Dr. Levine and Dr. Lerea (i think?) were very nice.
I liked that the classes were so small. They told me that as long as I keep a 3.4 (their number) in the program, I should be no problem to go to school there!

In response to eckMD's and edtech's general responses and ian's specific comment; from whom did you hear that maintaining a 3.4 assured entrance into their school? And did you specifically ask that question? I was told that there was not any such guarantee, other than the one where you receive an interview - which almost every other program offers.

I too have been trying to decide between this program and others.

In response to eckMD's and edtech's general responses and ian's specific comment; from whom did you hear that maintaining a 3.4 assured entrance into their school? And did you specifically ask that question? Dr. Lerea replied to me that there was not any such guarantee, other than the one where you receive an interview - which almost every other program offers. Perhaps you had asked Dr. Levine?

I too am trying to decide between this program and another.

During the phone interview (which was with both Dr. Levine and Dr. Lerea) one of them mentioned the 3.4 number but it was only 'generally speaking,' not a confirmation or anything official.

The feeling I got from them was that if I do that well or better, and with my MCAT score and uGPA (32P, 3.5/3.5BCPM) there should generally be no reason why I shouldnt get into their medical school after a year or by the year after.

From what I can tell, it's too early to conclude there is an unofficial guarantee, and it will be too late when we find out if there isn't one. Congrats to Ian. But not necessarily for the rest of us.

From what I can tell, it's too early to conclude there is an unofficial guarantee, and it will be too late when we find out if there isn't one. Congrats to Ian. But not necessarily to the rest of us.

I agree, I got a sense that it was maybe an "unofficial guarantee" but I got no mention of the 3.4 magic number so..who knows? Congrats again to Ian, though, awesome!

so Ian, have you heard anything back from them yet? I am just interested to know their timeline after the interview...cant wait to see the place in 8 days

I did not hear anything about a specific GPA, but neither did I ask. I'm not sure they would ever straight out say that there is an "unofficial guarantee" - I was, however, told pretty much the same thing by a current student there who is pretty involved in the school. So... take that as you will I guess. Sorry I can't be more of more help! But, generally speaking, I have found that no program really guarantees anything (officially or unofficially), other than maybe an interview with the school (which NYMC does). The one thing that impressed me was how prompt the school was - I applied in early March, got an interview offer 2 weeks later, interviewed 1-2 weeks after that, and received the good news a week later. They said that they didn't believe in making students wait a long time for an answer (they try to tell you within 2 weeks after the interview).

EkcMD is going; anyone else attending in the Fall?

I was accepted 6 days after my phone interview by email and received the letter 3 days after.

Im so conflicted between this school and Tufts MBS its driving me crazy. This school is so small and Dean Levine has been so receptive but Im afraid of missing out on the opportunity of living with my girlfriend in Boston who is going to Pharmacy School at NU. The Tufts program has 70 students which isnt exponentially larger but it is larger to make a difference in my time there.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of u who have been accepted to both this program and gtown smp, i would strongly urge u to consider why gtown might be the better option.

i am a current ms1 at nymc who did gtowns smp last year. based on my expereince and observations, nymc already has a strong link in accepting gtown students. i would say about >25 ppl from gtown interviewed at nymc last year. this interview was granted based on gpa achieved at gtown, mainly >3.7. there are about 8 of us gtown kids here at nymc this year, and the other who also interviewed most likely got into gtown or a 'higher ranked' school.

i read in this thread that a 3.4 in nymc's smp is almost a "guarantee" for an acceptance to nymc. however, this being the programs first year, there has yet to be a precedent set. it is risky. maybe you will get in, mayb u wont. in addition, nymc's program wont help u much with other med schools because it is so new, where as gtowns program is well known and recognized and will boost ur chances at many other med schools.

getting a 3.7 in gtowns smp is probably the strongest link to an acceptance to nymc. but getting a 3.7 is defintely harder than getting a 3.4. also consider what classes u will be taking at the respective programs. at gtown we took half grad courses and half med courses. the grad courses were basically gpa boosters as most ppl got A's. if the nymc program has u taking 2/3 med 1/3 grad, then getting a 3.4 at nymc might as well be equivilent to getting a 3.7 at gtown. the med courses are hard and only the top 10% get A's (which translates into honors for med students)

i feel its a big risk to go to a program its first year. i do definitely like it here at nymc, and i am sure the program will help u get in to nymc, but there is just still a big question of what exactly the gpa cut off is. if u are already accepted to gtown, go and get ur 3.7 and u have increased your shot not only at nymc, but at a variety of other east coast institutions too.
i dont know much about the nymc program so take my opnion with a grain of salt.

for those of u who have been accepted to both this program and gtown smp, i would strongly urge u to consider why gtown might be the better option.

i am a current ms1 at nymc who did gtowns smp last year. based on my expereince and observations, nymc already has a strong link in accepting gtown students. i would say about >25 ppl from gtown interviewed at nymc last year. this interview was granted based on gpa achieved at gtown, mainly >3.7. there are about 8 of us gtown kids here at nymc this year, and the other who also interviewed most likely got into gtown or a 'higher ranked' school.

i read in this thread that a 3.4 in nymc's smp is almost a "guarantee" for an acceptance to nymc. however, this being the programs first year, there has yet to be a precedent set. it is risky. maybe you will get in, mayb u wont. in addition, nymc's program wont help u much with other med schools because it is so new, where as gtowns program is well known and recognized and will boost ur chances at many other med schools.

getting a 3.7 in gtowns smp is probably the strongest link to an acceptance to nymc. but getting a 3.7 is defintely harder than getting a 3.4. also consider what classes u will be taking at the respective programs. at gtown we took half grad courses and half med courses. the grad courses were basically gpa boosters as most ppl got A's. if the nymc program has u taking 2/3 med 1/3 grad, then getting a 3.4 at nymc might as well be equivilent to getting a 3.7 at gtown. the med courses are hard and only the top 10% get A's (which translates into honors for med students)

i feel its a big risk to go to a program its first year. i do definitely like it here at nymc, and i am sure the program will help u get in to nymc, but there is just still a big question of what exactly the gpa cut off is. if u are already accepted to gtown, go and get ur 3.7 and u have increased your shot not only at nymc, but at a variety of other east coast institutions too.
i dont know much about the nymc program so take my opnion with a grain of salt.

I'm a current Georgetown SMP student and would really appreciate a little info on how things went for everyone last year. We all got our interview invites on the 27th of February, and I think almost everyone interviewed in the last week of March. When did you all start hearing back from NYMC last year? Did people tend to get waitlisted, or did they fire off acceptances even though the interviews were so late. I'm still stressing the whole process, so any info would be really helpful.

Also, how has it been for you former SMPs this year? Are you finding yourself really well prepared having already taken many of the courses? What's your sense of how the quality of the lectures compared to Georgetown? Sorry for hitting you with all those questions, but I liked NYMC a lot, and I'm really curious to get your take on the process and the school.

hey guys, i was accepted to NYMC a while ago and am having trouble deciding between evms, tufts, bu, Gtown, tulane, etc.. any thoughts on why you guys want NYMC over others?

oh and by the way, i also think its pretty much a guaranteed acceptance into nymc given you do well in the program and have no character flaws, i talked to the directors after my interview about retaking the mcat and they said i should not (it is less than 30), and that since i am taking med school courses, it is enough. so the language used suggested that as long as i do well i should be fine at nymc

I just got back from my interview at nymc. I liked it a lot...talked with Dr. Lavine and Dr. Lerea (?) and went to lunch with the the one student that is doing the program this year. He had a lot of insight and had been offered two acceptances so far (thus the program worked somewhere else besides NYMC) I think I will be going there if they accept me and if NYMC is the only place I can go to med school then I will be there for five years. Oh and going there is a smart choice after doing there post-bac because all of your classes transfer and then they encourage you to tutor MS1s and pay you up to the tution you paid for the MS program...not a bad deal. Anyways, I think I would pick this over Gtown because it is smaller allowing Dr. Lavine and Dr. Lerea (who are both on the MD adcom) to work closer with you and get you in...sorry that was a bit of a ramble

I was accepted to the 1-yr NYMC program as well. it seems like an unofficial acceptance to the med school, assuming you do well and have good MCATs...though I am still confused about the guarantee.

My question now is whether or not I should retake the MCAT. It was decent enough to get into the program...

Did anyone ask specifically about a "cut-off" number?

Also, i don't think i want to advertise this program too much this year. a smaller class-size is going to be better for people who decide to enroll and then continue on at NYMC the following year....especially in terms of getting spots as teaching assistants.

i am applying to this program my stats are a 3.14 with a 34Q on the mcat what do you guys think my chances of acceptance are, i also want to go to NYMC for medical school because i want to go to new york so it would be a geat phase in.

Does anyone know if all of the pots are filled yet, or are they still taking applications? Georgetown I believe is already full or close to it....

i am applying to this program my stats are a 3.14 with a 34Q on the mcat what do you guys think my chances of acceptance are, i also want to go to NYMC for medical school because i want to go to new york so it would be a geat phase in.

I had similar stats and was accepted recently. These types of programs are geared towards those with lower gpa's, and your mcat is probably more solid than most applicants. I can't speak to the rest of your application, but you should definitely apply because it seems like it will be a great program.

Also in response to the above question, from my interview they seemed to indicate that they might not reach their target class of 25ish, so I'd think there are definitely still spots open. Especially with their very quick turnaround time of reviewing applications, you should definitely apply now!

did anyone know the cost? I am not sure if we pay the med school price (high) or the grad school price (low(er))

and what date does it start?

I am going to email Dr. Levine these questions tomorrow but just checking on here

It is $25,000 for the year. I'm not sure how that compares to their med school tuition, but it is pretty standard for this type of SMP.

Dr. Levine told me that registration is the first week of August and classes will start the week after.

28k for the SMP, 41k for the medical school.

this program seems really cool, i tried calling Dr. Levin but i keep missing him and he calls me back and i keep missing the call pretty weird. But its really cool that he actually responded back to my calls even though I missed it. I like NYMC hopefully i can get accepted and I would to go there for med school as well.

You pay the grad. prices, not the med prices b/c you will be a grad. student at the School of Basic Medical Sciences, not the medical school. I also got the feeling that they might not reach their 25 target. I just sent in my letter of intent to NYMC, freeing up my spot at Georgetown for someone else.

NYMC told me not to re-take the MCAT (29Q) as it was good enough for their med school since I had a decent GPA and a ton of quality research and clinical experience.

My heart was originally set on GT back in December when I first applied... but as I grew to know more about NYMC, the more I liked it so when I got my acceptance to GT I didn't feel any of the excitement that I had been expecting. Strange eh?

But yeah, not many people know about this program. Our little secret? :laugh:

You pay the grad. prices, not the med prices b/c you will be a grad. student at the School of Basic Medical Sciences, not the medical school. I also got the feeling that they might not reach their 25 target. I just sent in my letter of intent to NYMC, freeing up my spot at Georgetown for someone else.

NYMC told me not to re-take the MCAT (29Q) as it was good enough for their med school since I had a decent GPA and a ton of quality research and clinical experience.

My heart was originally set on GT back in December when I first applied... but as I grew to know more about NYMC, the more I liked it so when I got my acceptance to GT I didn't feel any of the excitement that I had been expecting. Strange eh?

But yeah, not many people know about this program. Our little secret? :laugh:

Do you mind telling us your stats just to see if i compare, though my GPA is pretty low. sorry i saw the stats up top, good job on the overall gpa.

You mean like, break down my BCMP gpa each year? I wasn't quite sure what you meant. My non-science always hovered around 3.8 and my BCMP started low and went higher each year:

freshmen: 2.17
soph: 2.92
junior: 3.48
senior: 3.46

I kinda woke up middle of the game. Hehe. Almost straight C's freshmen year in bio, chem, calc... dark times. lol. It helped that I was both Anthropology and Molecular Biology, so I had a lot of units in the non-sciences to balance it out. Thank god for the quarter system.

MCAT: 10P, 10B, 9V, Q writing. (They told me not to retake it).

it costs a lot. if you look at the NYMC class 2012 thread they talk a bit about housing

I was looking at the curriculum for the program and the MS1 curriculum it seems we take pretty much all the med school classes besides anatomy. Does anybody know what classes would we be taking during regular MS1 year if we get into NYMC after doing the program.

I have definitely decided yes to NYMC's program but am still concerned about retaking the MCAT. Dr. Levine said that my score was "borderline" and that I might not want to risk having them "go down" upon retaking them...yet it is "up to me."
Reading the other threads, I see that my score is a few points lower than everyone else's, but then again, we are not in competition in this program.
Any thoughts?

Also, in response to Bruin's question, I think we retake some of the courses and then have the option of TAing others.

we dont retake any classes if we become a MS1 there. The two classes we dont take in this program are anatomy and human behavior. Those are the only two classes you take as a MS1 and maybe some electives (i dont know about the electives) Then they encourage research and tutoring to keep you busy.

it would be so worth it if we can get into the MS1 program after this so we'll get to do alot of research and boost the CV for residency and study for step 1. Anatomy wouldnt' be too daunting either. crossing my fingers but i still have to get into the program first stupid letter writers are taking so damn long.

I also have another question for averyone, i am graduating at the end of summer since i am at a quarter based school my summer classes won't end until aug 1 and i only have to take my last quarter of english. Is it possible for me to even do this program considering i would have to find housing and move to Ny from LA. Seem that would be pretty tough thing to do in like 2-3 days. BTW when do classes start and when is the orientation.

this thread has been very helpful! i do have a couple of questions however:
1) what are the min MCAT/gpa requirements?
2) is it too late to apply?

I scored very low on the MCAT, but I am retaking it in july...however my overall/bcpm is 3.2/2.9...should i wait out the med school cycle and apply to NYMC accelerated master's instead? thank you!

this thread has been very helpful! i do have a couple of questions however:
1) what are the min MCAT/gpa requirements?
2) is it too late to apply?

I scored very low on the MCAT, but I am retaking it in july...however my overall/bcpm is 3.2/2.9...should i wait out the med school cycle and apply to NYMC accelerated master's instead? thank you!

i saw on your mdapps that you are looking for classes to sign up for at ucla summer school, try epidemerology or biostats both are pretty easy and i know biostats will count of bcmp.

I have definitely decided yes to NYMC's program but am still concerned about retaking the MCAT. Dr. Levine said that my score was "borderline" and that I might not want to risk having them "go down" upon retaking them...yet it is "up to me."
Reading the other threads, I see that my score is a few points lower than everyone else's, but then again, we are not in competition in this program.
Any thoughts?

Some soul-searching here: was there a particular section that killed you? For me it was PS, so I did the 1001 ExamKrackers book and it raised my score 2 points. Verbal is tougher to study for...

If you study hard, there's no reason to think you'll do worse than before. Actually, I took the MCAT twice and got the same score both times, but the point distribution was more equal. They asked me why I retook it, and then they saw it went from lop-sided to evenly distributed and then said, "oh, ok".

And, if it's your second time taking it, you know exactly what to expect and nerves count for a lot. Think of it this way - if you feel badly about it, you can just void your score and no one will know and you're no worse off than before. But, if you have a good feeling about it, you stand a better chance of getting into other med schools after you finish the SMP (assuming you're applying to schools other than NYMC) even if you get 1-2 points higher.

And those are my 2 cents. :)

does anyone know what the housing situation would be like for MS students, do we get dorms or do we have to find off campus housing? anyone who has interviewed know anything about this.

For those of you who have been accepted...

How long after submitting your applications did you all have your phone interviews?

Thanks!

does anyone know what the housing situation would be like for MS students, do we get dorms or do we have to find off campus housing? anyone who has interviewed know anything about this.

yes, we do but it is limited there. I am going to try to live on campus because everyday I dont drive will be a nice cheap day

Is it too late to apply to this program?

I was playing around on the website today and saw that the move-in date for MS students was August 15th. Does this mean our orientation is on the 16th?

Are they going to send us a packet about all this stuff? I want to be excited (and am for the program) but I feel like I don't know much else!!

no, orientation is th 6th and 7th and classes start on the 11th...move in date is th 15th for the students that are actually just in the basic sciences and not mixed in with the med school

did anyone reading this get accepted to the 2-year track? I'm still waiting to hear from other programs, but I am seriously considering the NYMC traditional track now that I'm learning more about it. I can't find a thread on the two year track, though.

can anyone direct me or has anyone else been accepted??

Hey is anyone definitely going to the accelerated program next year? I can't decide where to go, but I agree that the directors seem really nice and helpful- which is a definite plus after having such bad advisers in college

definitely going. n=1