NYMC Accelerated M.S. Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys think I have a shot if my MCAT score is a 25 (7V, 8PS, 10BS)? I heard that a 27 is the minimum to get accepted. Is this true?
I have a 3.3sGPA and a 3.2cGPA, 4 years research experience, 1.5 hospital volunteering, and a bunch of leadership experience.
I'm still waiting back on postbacc's in California, but I'm really interested in going to the east coast and trying out something new :p
It's worth a call to the graduate school admissions office to ask, but I think their 27 minimum is pretty strict. You should probably take it again regardless.

Just sent in my app today! 3.1 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 33 MCAT (13PS, 9V, 11B). basic research, volunteering, shadowing. Good luck this cycle everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Committed to this program last week! Just sent in my housing app as well. With the year coming to a close, I am curious to know how the current AMP class fared.
Dr. Velisek told me 8 got in and 5 got into NYMC.

Haven't seen anything about this program so far this year. Anyone interview here? Any changes or updates from current students?

I was just accepted at NYMC for August. Anyone else going?

Last edited:
Likely attending this year, anyone joining me?

I will be attending this year, I've been trying to find other people who are going

I was just accepted at NYMC for August. Anyone else going?

I am interested and will be applying sometime later this year for August 2017. Would you guys mind sharing your admissions experiences such as what was the interview like? How did your apps look? Chances of getting in? Any information would be much appreciated and good luck to you guys!

Edit: Would my one year senior thesis from college satisfy their research requirements or should I pursue more?

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance email yesterday! This is their first year running this program, although they've been doing the 2-year traditional program for a while. From what they told me, the two programs are completely separate and have nothing to do with one another - different classes (accelerated take classes with the M1 students), different schedule, etc.

I was debating b/w Georgetown and NYMC, but I got such a good vibe when I visited (beautiful campus, so close to NYC, etc.) that I decided on NYMC in the end. AND, it's limited to 25 students, so you get more personal attention which was very important to me.

I've heard whispers that it's very much like the EVMS program in that you kinda slide right into their medical school upon completing the program, and NYMC itself has excellent board results (something like 99%) and matches (esp. to California). Hope that helps.

In case you wanted to know, my stats were: 3.01 BMCP, 3.62 overall, 29Q MCAT and very strong clinical and research experience (which they really liked). I'm really excited, but I don't really know anyone else that's going. Anyone also get accepted? They didn't advertise much, so not as many people know about it.

I was wondering why you didnt directly apply to medical school? You seem like a great applicant.

I would love to hear more about the linkage with NYMC, if anyone has any personal experience or numbers. Saw someone here say 5 got into NYMC from the program – is that normal?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a rising junior in undergrad and strongly considering NYMC's accelerated masters program, but I'm not sure if I should try applying to med schools the end of my junior year and if I don't get into any, THEN apply for the program spring of my senior year before the deadline, or just don't apply to med schools and solely focus on getting into this SMP.

Does anyone know what admissions would think if they find out I've already tried applying to med schools by the time I apply for the program? Would that hurt my chances, or is it common and they wouldn't care?

Thanks! Hope my question is clear lol