NYMC Accelerated M.S. Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone (else) been selected for an interview?

i'm nervous. i'm interviewing next week but if the class has reached its max already......

Members don't see this ad.

yea, i also got the interview invite finally. Any suggestions?

I have my phone interview tomorrow, what kind of questions did they ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
i had my interview this afternoon. Dr. Levine and Dr. Lerea were nice, but the interview was so casual - it totally caught me off guard. Monkey, I had the same general experience: very basic questions, asked about the weather, etc.

My impression is that they've already found the majority of the students they want and that the interviews they're giving now are kind of a polite gesture....

Any thoughts?

boy, that would be sad if it were just a gesture. btw, does anybody know the lowest requirement for the 2 year traditional track?? the website says there is not a min gpa/MCAT requirement...but i am not all too positive about applying with a 21R and 3.2/2.9 BCPM...any advice is appreciated, as I would like to still give this application cycle a shot!! thanks!

Yea it would be bad if its a gesture because I had my interview today. Both Dr. Levine and Lerea sounded really nice and answered all of my questions. The interview itself was really short, they asked me some of the same questions that other people said that they have been asked, mainly about my research. good luck to everyone still interviewing.

good luck bruindoc! i hope it works out for you :)

Got denied acceptance but they offered me the two year program...

wow mattng..those are some nice stats...i'm very surprised they rejected you.

Mattng how come you are applying to an SMP (just curious)? Based on your stats it doesn't seem like you need to do an SMP. Maybe change your study approach for the MCAT to get a higher score and more clinical. Your gpa is great.

you do certainly have very nice stats. did you interview for the 1 year program? perhaps it was something in your interview that suggested you need a little more time for character and academic development (though it doesn't seem like you need any development in that latter area). i have heard from various sources that some med school adcoms ask young applicants how they compensate for being young.

overall, i dont know. you have great stats, which doesn't look so good for the rest of us who are waiting for a decision as well :)

man, if a 3.8 doesnt get you into a MS program,there is no hope for the rest of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey anon, when did they say you will hear back by? mine was like the week after Jul 4

i was told the same

Hey guys~

Complete newbie to SDN. Just sent in my acceptance to the traditional track last week. Applied early May, invited for interview June 2nd, received rejection for the accelerated track but offered the traditional on June 11th.

Any other definites for the trad class this fall?

:D ahhh! i got in!

ok... so i know the program is going to be small (does anyone have a concrete number for how many of us there will be?), which is going to make looking for roommates kind of hard.

i havent gotten my official letter yet, but i hear living expenses are roughly $15,000 a year. is everyone looking to live on campus (if space is even available), or are there some of you looking to live off campus? i dont know the area so I dont know how safe it is and all of that.. but I figured it'd prob be a tad bit cheaper to live off campus....

is anyone looking for a roommate? PM me

but I figured it'd prob be a tad bit cheaper to live off campus....

on campus with rommies is 600-700 a month with utilities while I couldn't find a studio near by for under 1100 without utilities. So I am trying to live on campus.

If you scroll up I think there is a count going, i think it is around n=5, no clue about the final size

Oh and congrats!

Last edited:
this is not true!

on campus with rommies is 600-700 a month with utilities while I couldn't find a studio near by for under 1100 without utilities. So I am trying to live on campus.

If you scroll up I think there is a count going, i think it is around n=5, no clue about the final size

Oh and congrats!

i had no idea what the n=1 n=2 etc thing was. i only joined SDN a few weeks ago and am still learning all the lingo. i couldn't figure out "LOR" for the longest time. and i had to google "bump" because i was lost there too..

is everyone on a waiting list for on campus housing? 1100 for a one person studio would be (a) very expensive, and (b) very lonely.

roommate, anyone?

if you find a cheap place i am would think about it. If there was a 2,3 or even 4 person place that was only like 700 a month I would be interested...and if I could have my dog that would be great seeing as if i live on campus I have to leave her with the parents and i havent been without her for over 2 weeks in 4 years

PS: n= isnt really SDN lingo I just started it so no one had to count the "me too's"

Congrats Anon, i got in today as well finally. I am 99% sure i am going there. With the roommate situation how do we sign up for on campus housing.

They kicked my application to the curb...36Q MCAT, 3.4 GPA, U.S. Army Medic extracurricular. No interview, no nothing. So, congratulations to those that got in.

I'm going to Rosalind Franklin instead, which is a more established program in any case. It does smart a little that I didn't even get an interview, but that's the breaks. Good luck to those of you that were accepted.

ahahaha. I sometimes forget the rest of the world isn't full of biology majors.

i had no idea what the n=1 n=2 etc thing was.

I'd only be looking for off-campus housing if I am not offered on-campus. I wish they'd tell us soon so we can prepare... I'd hate to do a last week scramble and have to settle for a place thats too expensive/too far etc..

ahahaha. I sometimes forget the rest of the world isn't full of biology majors.

I'd only be looking for off-campus housing if I am not offered on-campus. I wish they'd tell us soon so we can prepare... I'd hate to do a last week scramble and have to settle for a place thats too expensive/too far etc..

hwan, are you in the 1 year prog?

also, completely irrelevent: are you korean?

ditto on the housing situation... 4 weeks really isn't that much time to figure out the next year of your life

Congrats Anon, i got in today as well finally. I am 99% sure i am going there. With the roommate situation how do we sign up for on campus housing.

Congrats Anon & asak! I got an interview invite yesterday, and I emailed Dr. Levine saying that I would be available tomorrow. He hasn't replied with a time yet, so I'm worried about getting caught off guard when he calls. Did Dr. Levine ever give you guys the specific time of your interviews?

Also, would you guys mind sharing some of the questions they asked? I'm not the best at interviews, and I don't want to blow it :scared:

yea he told me the time couple days in advance, for me they just asked about my research, clinical work, why took the MCAT twice, and than it was just a conversation about sports and weather and what kind of clothes to bring to NY since i have never been out of CA.

BTW. is there any chance of on campus housing still because it would be tough finding off campus place for me.

Congrats Anon & asak! I got an interview invite yesterday, and I emailed Dr. Levine saying that I would be available tomorrow. He hasn't replied with a time yet, so I'm worried about getting caught off guard when he calls. Did Dr. Levine ever give you guys the specific time of your interviews?

Also, would you guys mind sharing some of the questions they asked? I'm not the best at interviews, and I don't want to blow it :scared:

from what i've gathered, everyone's interview varied slightly according to activities and circumstances (i think i only mentioned my clinical experience in passing, and they never point blank asked "why do you want to be a doctor?"), but in general, it was very laid back. it feels more like having a conversation with your parents' friends who come over for dinner than being interviewed for program admissions.

dr. levine will schedule a specific time for your interview, so you won't be caught off guard in the middle of your yoga class or anything..

good luck, and relax!

He just replied - I'll be interviewing on Monday!

For me, I had interviewed in-person, and the interview with Dr Lerea seemed almost like the real thing. He asked me about my research, which he seemed to already know a lot about; we talked about smp programs in general; and then I was asked why I wanted to be a doctor. When he asked if I had any questions for him, I said that I didn't because I had already asked Dr Levine every question I could :scared:. The interview with Dr Levine was different and very conversational.

Anon:
Yes and yes. Are you?
Btw, the n in Biology basically counts the number of replicate experiments that you have run, which is important for obtaining statistical significance. For us to say "I am n=1,2,3 etc" is to answer dukegirl's question by enumerating who will be attending.

on campus housing can be found on the website under student life or something... just fill out the application, mail them some money and they should get back to you.

So what is the count (the 'n') at now with all these newly accepted people...still hoping it is a small program

Oh man i didnt get in my interview must have gone bad or something. I'll just take some more UG classes to raise my gpa.

I was wondering if any one has found off campus housing and is looking for a roommate.

called the housing office today and they said they were going to make assignments mid next week

i was told that the committee wanted to see my winter 08 grades before making a final decision and that they would be convening some time this week. anyone know when? i'm anxious to settle where i'll be next year once and for all.

cannedhead are u applying for this upcoming fall or next year?

for anyone coming from west coast or OOS how are you guys planning on getting to the school with all your luggage. I dont trust the transit system with that much luggage in hand.

for anyone coming from west coast or OOS how are you guys planning on getting to the school with all your luggage. I dont trust the transit system with that much luggage in hand.

Driving from colorado (1810 miles at 33 mpg=55 gallons * 4.79 (diesel) = 273 dollars....wow!...taking whatever fits in the car

Hey guys, I was just accepted the other day. What's the deal with on-campus move-in on the 15th for BMS folks but orientation starting on the 7th? If you get on-campus housing where are you supposed to stay for that week?

Hey guys, I was just accepted the other day. What's the deal with on-campus move-in on the 15th for BMS folks but orientation starting on the 7th? If you get on-campus housing where are you supposed to stay for that week?

I figure you will just have to run a muck...sorry worked for 17 hours yesterday and back at work now...no I asked and that is for the "true" BMS students, ones getting MS in anatomy or physiology. For us we I believe we will have a move in day of the 5th

Last edited:
Btw, n=5.
I applied for on-campus housing, but would love to find a roommate if it's not available.

I would love to find a roommate too, so i guess we will find out next week if are getting on campus housing. where are you from runamok?

n=6

has anyone gotten the big packet of info (orientation/registration details; required immunizations/student health insurance; academic calender; list of required textbooks, etc etc)?

i guess we'll all get our housing assignments towards the end of next week. in the event that i don't get campus housing.. i'm female looking for roommate(s). m/f doesn't matter, just someone who's clean and has common sense about common etiquettes (not to sound anal... i've just had some terrible undergrad roommates who thought it was ok to freely eat all my food, use my belongings, and stumble home at 4am to rambunctiously drunkdial everyone on their phone...)

i'm excited, but also ready to just iron out all the details of this move. tsdbird - for some reason, i thought you were female until i read your mdapps thing.

tsdbird - for some reason, i thought you were female until i read your mdapps thing.

nope I am a guy. <---- that is me golfing in the pic.

If the wonderful roommate issue is coming up then I guess I'll let you know about me. I am a 23 GUY from colorado that is pretty relaxed but works hard and is into sports. If I would live off campus I would want to bring my dog, and if you like dogs of any kind you will love my dog.

But if I get on campus housing I think that is what I will do...cheaper/easier

22f coming from Sacramento, would live with anyone, will probably have a car a few weeks into the semester. Haven't received my info packet, they were supposed to have sent it three days ago.

i got some letters and papers from dr. levine and dr. lerea just welcoming me and gave me the calendar for the year and a letter about histology...but that was it and that was probably 3 weeks ago

22M here from sacramento as well. I am pretty chill, quiet guy so if anyone wants to room for next year if we dont get on campus housing it would be pretty awesome.

BTW. runamock where in sacramento are you from, I am from elk grove

East Sac! Someone was telling me NYMC is so full of Californians that it's jokingly referred to as UC Valhalla :D

ichimaru... any news?