NYMC Accelerated M.S. Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when did you interview? i would definitely call to ask why

Members don't see this ad.

I STILL haven't heard back. Is this weird?

BTW I got an email last week informing that I was put on the alternate list or something along that line and whether or not I am still interested in the program.
It seems that the only way to get into the program is if someone who has been accepted in their program drop their spot.

I interviewed in April. I just shot them an e-mail, we'll see. I've been e-mailing them every 2 weeks or so just to say "hey, still interested" and they never respond to it. Oh well, I already put down my deposit for Tulane.

Members don't see this ad :)
update: They offered me a spot in the traditional program, but the letter was sent to the wrong address. Oh well, Tulane cashed my deposit today. Good luck to everyone who decides to attend NYMC. I got really good vibes from them, and I think it will be a great opportunity.... :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I had my interview last Thursday, 6/25 for the accelerated masters program. One or two hours after the interview they sent me an email requesting additional recommendations from my clinical experience and a copy of my AMCAS application for 2010. I mailed that in the day after the interview.

When should I expect an acceptance/rejection email? Also, would they email me regardless of whether I was accepted or not?

Thanks,

Hey guys,

I had my interview last Thursday, 6/25 for the accelerated masters program. One or two hours after the interview they sent me an email requesting additional recommendations from my clinical experience and a copy of my AMCAS application for 2010. I mailed that in the day after the interview.

When should I expect an acceptance/rejection email? Also, would they email me regardless of whether I was accepted or not?

Thanks,

I got an acceptance the Monday after my Thursday interview (they also asked for my updated AMCAS application at that time, but I emailed it to them the moment I hung up the phone). I don't think this is standard, however, as it seems like other applicants did not hear back so quickly.

IIRC, acceptances were still going out well into July based on last year's thread, so stay positive!

And I am pretty sure they will let you know by email if you are accepted or waitlisted. Not sure about the other possibility.

just got accepted to the accelerated track, and wish everyone else the best of luck - we all know how much of a pain this process is. anyway, i was wondering if anyone on SDN is looking for someone to split rent. i know it is late in the game, but since i only now found out, i have no housing secured. i am a 22 y/o male, am a pretty tidy person and love to chill but definitely prioritize studying and "quiet time", so PM me if you have an apt you would like a housemate for. or if anyone has any comments about getting housing at NYMC now, or tips as to where to find an apt, i'm all ears.

hey people,

i still haven't received a decision from NYMC. It has been 2 weeks since the interview. Would it seem too pushy if I were to call and ask how long it takes? Who would you recommend calling? Thanks for the help.

I think they usually give out acceptances once a month. But it might be helpful to send an update letter saying you're still interested.

On another note, has anyone gotten their housing assignments (for on campus living) yet?

On another note, has anyone gotten their housing assignments (for on campus living) yet?

Haven't heard anything yet... Somewhere online it says "mid-July" is when they issue housing assignments. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

How long after your interview did it take before they told you whether or not you were accepted? Did they notify you by email? I interviewed on June 11th and still haven't heard anything despite emailing them and calling them a couple of times.

hey iceman, i heard about a week after my interview, but that was back in april. either way ive heard of a lot of people not getting an acceptance until at least a month later if not more so i wouldnt worry. and yes, i heard back by email. it definitely wouldnt hurt to keep calling and emailing them!

the other day i found out that i was put on the waitlist for on campus housing, so am now looking for a place off campus. are any of you in this same situation? does anyone have any tips for finding off campus housing? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you who made it into nymc after completing the accelerated track, did you honor & high pass all the courses? was that the case for most of the ppl that made it? is it safe to say you're done for if you get one or two passes?

wow this place has been quiet for like a year...is anyone out there?
I just had my phone interview and im excited to hear back from them, it seems like a pretty coool program

the other day i found out that i was put on the waitlist for on campus housing, so am now looking for a place off campus. are any of you in this same situation? does anyone have any tips for finding off campus housing? thanks

really, already? I'm in on the traditional track, but still waiting on decisions from other schools. I thought it was too early to apply for on-campus housing...great...should I just put down a deposit now rather than waiting? Is there housing info in the registration stuff that comes in the mail? I haven't received anything yet, so I'm assuming I would have to get the application from the housing website...

really, already? I'm in on the traditional track, but still waiting on decisions from other schools. I thought it was too early to apply for on-campus housing...great...should I just put down a deposit now rather than waiting? Is there housing info in the registration stuff that comes in the mail? I haven't received anything yet, so I'm assuming I would have to get the application from the housing website...

You are referring to a quote that is from last summer. I doubt on-campus housing is full already.

You are referring to a quote that is from last summer. I doubt on-campus housing is full already.

wow...I completely dropped the ball on that one. Thanks for pointing that out. So this thread is really dead as noted above (obviously I missed that comment too).

got accepted :). anyone else going next year? seems like a nice program, im 99% sure ill be attending unless i get into temple's program - still havent heard back

got accepted :). anyone else going next year? seems like a nice program, im 99% sure ill be attending unless i get into temple's program - still havent heard back
Congratulations!! When did you interview? I had a phone interview exactly a week ago and wonder when I will hear back

interviewed on the 20th in person...figured it might help, but all the kids that i met there (2 haha) interviewed by phone. seems like a legit program, let me know if you get accepted. it took em 2 weeks a day or two to respond, so hopefully you'll know by next week. good luck

interviewed on the 20th in person...figured it might help, but all the kids that i met there (2 haha) interviewed by phone. seems like a legit program, let me know if you get accepted. it took em 2 weeks a day or two to respond, so hopefully you'll know by next week. good luck
Thanks. I am accepted at a post bacc in Jersey but yea i think this program is pretty sweet and I d like to go here. Hopefully I ll be hearing good news soon :)

AMP class of 2010

The program started out with 23 people:
3 people dropped out of the program within the first couple of weeks.

Leaving 20 people in the program...
6 are waiting to apply the next cycle

Bringing the number to 14 people who applied this cycle...
1 dropped out mid-way through the school year after being accepted to a state school
2 are going to other medical schools
5 are attending NYMC
2 are waitlisted at NYMC
2 are still waiting to hear a decision
2 were unsuccessful

To date: 8 out of 14 have an acceptance(s) in medical school, making that a 57% success rate. With 4 more people who are still waiting to hear from the nymc waitlist or decisions.

My application was completed last week. Do you know when I will be hearing back if I received an interview?

so i applied for the accelerated masters program and heard back with my decision almost a month later. They accepted me to the TRADITIONAL track, even though I did not even apply to it. Is that common? Is it like a nice way of rejecting me from the AMP or something? I am accepted to a post bacc in Jersey but not sure if the traditional program will be worth it especially since I want to apply to med school for Fall 2011. Please give you input

so i applied for the accelerated masters program and heard back with my decision almost a month later. They accepted me to the TRADITIONAL track, even though I did not even apply to it. Is that common? Is it like a nice way of rejecting me from the AMP or something? I am accepted to a post bacc in Jersey but not sure if the traditional program will be worth it especially since I want to apply to med school for Fall 2011. Please give you input

I was in the same boat as you...stuck with the traditional track...so I had to convince myself that I would rather not rush applying to medical school and make good use of the 2 years to prepare my med apps. But if BU-MAMS accepts me...then well I guess that'll be a whole different situation...

It sucks how there isn't much info on the traditional track as compared to the accelerated program. But since it is my current destination, I'm hoping it'll be alright :xf:

My understanding is that the AMP program is geared towards students who are already on the cusp of getting into med school (in the opinion of the admissions committee).

A true post-bacc consists of more undergraduate classes, which may be what you need if your undergrad GPA is bit low, or if you already graduated college and haven't done the pre-requisite courses.

A masters program will get you a graduate degree and will be more research oriented. It will generate a graduate GPA separate from your undergrad GPA, and hopefully some research publications.

Both are accepted avenues to getting into medical school. We have many people in the class who have masters degrees (traditional MS degrees and special masters programs, many from NYMC) and then many other students did post-bacc classes.

You may be able to bail on the masters degree if you are accepted halfway through. However, I believe sometimes you will be expected to finish the degree.

i was interested in applying to the traditional BMS program, mainly because of its location in new york city.

i am simply looking to take 2-3 classes in the fall to boost my application, and thats it. i dont plan on staying any longer than that.
any thoughts?

Please contact me by reg. email Think I can solve your problem quickly and easily.: If you have already solved the problem, please pass this along to someone else if possible.

[email protected]

As an AMP student that was accepted to more than one school, including NYMC, I can say that I did not high pass/honor every class. Applying to medical schools is really a crapshoot and every applicant is different.

I do believe that if you do well (high pass/honor) every course and you are a nice / well adjusted student you will not have a problem being accepted to at least NYMC.

In terms of housing I didn't know about my position in the AMP class until mid July and I got housing off the waitlist. Make sure to call the housing office and be nice, they find spots even as late as the week before class.

AMP class of 2010

The program started out with 23 people:
3 people dropped out of the program within the first couple of weeks.

Leaving 20 people in the program...
6 are waiting to apply the next cycle

Bringing the number to 14 people who applied this cycle...
1 dropped out mid-way through the school year after being accepted to a state school
2 are going to other medical schools
5 are attending NYMC
2 are waitlisted at NYMC
2 are still waiting to hear a decision
2 were unsuccessful

To date: 8 out of 14 have an acceptance(s) in medical school, making that a 57% success rate. With 4 more people who are still waiting to hear from the nymc waitlist or decisions.

Sounds great! How do you like the program? Are these the final results?

"I do believe that if you do well (high pass/honor) every course and you are a nice / well adjusted student you will not have a problem being accepted to at least NYMC."

I don't know if I necessarily agree with this quote from Edwerd, it's not that easy to (high pass/honor) courses. Even if you do study very hard. These are after all medical school classes. Not regular undergraduate classes. So I feel like this statement is misleading.

Corneilian,
I think these are the most recent results. Maybe not the final results since who knows who will get off waitlists.

The program is definitely not easy, it is medical school...mostly. If you want something easy, go become a dentist but if you are willing to work your butt off then you can accomplish your goal of becoming a physician here.

I viewed this opportunity, and it is just that, as my last chance to prove myself to medical school application committees. I worked hard and I did well and I was successful, as were most of my fellow classmates. Unfortunately, its difficulty can have drawbacks as if you do not do well then you will be in a very tough place. You need to be highly motivated. That is the bottom line. How much do you want it.

In my opinion, this program, in one year, has much better success and faculty involvement than any other program out there.

I was in the same boat as you...stuck with the traditional track...so I had to convince myself that I would rather not rush applying to medical school and make good use of the 2 years to prepare my med apps. But if BU-MAMS accepts me...then well I guess that'll be a whole different situation...

It sucks how there isn't much info on the traditional track as compared to the accelerated program. But since it is my current destination, I'm hoping it'll be alright :xf:

Hey, looks like there's three of us. I'm on the waitlist at Georgetown and Tufts, but I'm not holding my breath. I think I'll be going to NYMC next year.

From the looks of the curriculum, it seems like the Traditional is a bit easier, in terms of course load at least. It's 30 credits over 2 years, while the accelerated is 32 over 1 year.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get a feel for who else will be in this program with me, so feel free to message me... if that's even possible on this site. I literally just signed up, so I have no idea how this site works other than these forums.

Hey everyone, I have my interview on Tuesday for the accelerated program. I'm very excited. I was wondering what the interview was like (I'm actually going to NY for it). Any advice would be really great, thanks :)

Anyone going thats figured out housing yet? Everything off campus looks so pricy but on campus has no A/C and grasslands I isn't furnished. Isnt that a big hassle? What are other people doing?

Actually I got into another program. Good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing the traditional track in the fall - it doesn't look so bad plus the director seems really nice.

Anyone going thats figured out housing yet? Everything off campus looks so pricy but on campus has no A/C and grasslands I isn't furnished. Isnt that a big hassle? What are other people doing?

Every on-campus room has a sleeve in the wall for an A/C. You can buy them from students for almost nothing.

I couldn't agree more - Chiarieri and Lerea seemed extremely nice. I'm excited to see how it is. Is there anyone out there who has been in the program and wants to shed some light on what it's all about?

I plan on living on campus, just out of convenience and basically getting to know people.

I also got accepted into the 2 year traditional track and am deciding between that, UMDNJ Newark, and VCU (still waiting to hear back from many others though...but if I had to choose at this very moment..)

Any thoughts on the 3 programs? Why would NYMC be "better"?

Also, is Valhalla a safe area? Is it convenient? (walking distance to grocery stores, etc...)

One more thing...is it possible to apply to med school one year into the program so there's no gap year after you complete the 2 year masters?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Also, is Valhalla a safe area? Is it convenient? (walking distance to grocery stores, etc...)

One more thing...is it possible to apply to med school one year into the program so there's no gap year after you complete the 2 year masters?

Thanks!

From what I read (on google), Valhalla is a nice area. a bit away from nyc though.

yeah I would like to know that too - since we dont take as many classes as the accelerated program in the first year, would med schools want us to wait to complete the entire program before applying?

hey, can anyone tell me about how long it took for them to get back to you after submitting the application? Mine was complete around May 5th and last week I got an e-mail asking for my spring grades. Does it usually take this long and is anyone else waiting to hear back for an interview?

hey, can anyone tell me about how long it took for them to get back to you after submitting the application? Mine was complete around May 5th and last week I got an e-mail asking for my spring grades. Does it usually take this long and is anyone else waiting to hear back for an interview?

I heard back for my interview about two weeks after submitting it. I hope you hear back soon and good luck!

I also got accepted into the 2 year traditional track and am deciding between that, UMDNJ Newark, and VCU (still waiting to hear back from many others though...but if I had to choose at this very moment..)

Any thoughts on the 3 programs? Why would NYMC be "better"?

Thanks!

Smiley,

Valhalla is about as safe as it gets, but you will need a car. The village of Elmsford WOULD be within walking distance except that many roads in Westchester don't have sidewalks. That being said, there's a ridiculous amount of stuff within driving distance.

:D Just got accepted this morning to the accelerated program. I am soooo stoked! Good luck everyone who is waiting to hear back for interviews or acceptance!

got into the 2-yr program - was hoping to get on-campus housing but got screwed waiting on another school...so does anyone need a roommate (PM me!!)?

or since I'm from california, does anyone who is currently living there or know the area have any suggestions for housing? looking for something that isn't too far away or pretty easy to get to campus.

Im in the traditional program....looking for housing and a roommate. Im from california, and would appreciate some info from someone living in the area on housing and what not.

To those of you who got accepted into accelerated or traditional, what were your stats like? I'm wondering if I would even have a chance...

BUMP.

How's everyone doing in the program this year so far? It seems extra appealing to me because my home is 20 mins from Valhalla... would commuting like that work out?

BUMP:

any kind of output would be helpful.
btw for those of you who are thinking of applying regardless, Dr. Levine said that they start looking at apps from Jan. He also said that the average stats of last year's class was 3.35 and 31.5 but they review all apps holistically. i'm writing my mcat on jan 28th. So best of luck for those who are writing in Jan.

COnsidering all the new medical schools that are opening, does anyone expect less demand for post baccs?

Thanks