NYMC ban of LGTB group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redsox2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know of a link/published resource that can give me more information on this topic?
I am interviewing at NYMC in a couple of weeks and a friend at BU warned me about NYMC not being tolerant of a student support group for gay, lesbian, and transgender students.
Is this really happening there? :mad: :(

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any published resouces (i.e. i don't remember the links and I'm not going to do a google search to find one) but I do recall that the reason they banned the group is because they changed their name from "Student Support Group" to "LGBT Group" or something(the former name is definitley correct, the latter is almost certainly not).

I also interviewed at NYMC and came from BU where the former University President banned the LGBT group at the University's high school (BU Academy). My feeling about NYMC is that it's a Catholic school and when I interviewed there, I met casually with some non-admissions office related students who answered a bunch of questions about what it was like to attend a Catholic institution. They stressed that they never thought they were being indoctrinated in Catholic dogma, and that the only time it would come up was on clinical rotations at St. Vincent's in lower Manhattan. Apparently it follows Catholic law very closely, so much so that they not only do not provide abortions, some employees have chastised for speaking openly about it. That so much didn't bother me as much as when they told me that it is against their policy to recommend condom use to gay men.

So that's what I know about NYMC.

Thanks for the info...
DrOctapus, I also attended BU... during the Silber era no less... but I learned that an education is only what you make of it... BU never bothered me as long as I didn't go searching for trouble... guess I'll use that when it comes to NYMC. And pray that it is not my only acceptance.
:rolleyes: