NYMC Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I've had a week to reflect on my impending interview at NYMC, I have a couple questions...

1.) This is a school of which I'm very fond, not my top choice, but of my limited remaining choices, definitely the top! It has been near the top the whole time. Assuming that I find my visit in sync with what I'm expecting, (i.e. the impression that I get is positive) how would it look if I present the school with a letter of intent in hand at the end of the day?
I mean, they're overlooked by many applicants as a "backup," so I'm sure they'd rather accept a student that really wants to be there rather than one that "dumps" them or reluctantly attends as it's the only option.
2.) I've read many of the interview experiences on the feedback site. While many of the responses indicate a mostly laid-back approach to interviewing, there seem to be a couple high stress interviews as well. Is this what many people would also say is the case? idq1i, you mentioned that some of the opinions on the feedback page are ridiculous, how so? Are there any that are particularly not true?

Any other advice or words of encouragement are, of course, more than welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by subtle1epiphany
Now that I've had a week to reflect on my impending interview at NYMC, I have a couple questions...

1.) This is a school of which I'm very fond, not my top choice, but of my limited remaining choices, definitely the top! It has been near the top the whole time. Assuming that I find my visit in sync with what I'm expecting, (i.e. the impression that I get is positive) how would it look if I present the school with a letter of intent in hand at the end of the day?
I mean, they're overlooked by many applicants as a "backup," so I'm sure they'd rather accept a student that really wants to be there rather than one that "dumps" them or reluctantly attends as it's the only option.
2.) I've read many of the interview experiences on the feedback site. While many of the responses indicate a mostly laid-back approach to interviewing, there seem to be a couple high stress interviews as well. Is this what many people would also say is the case? idq1i, you mentioned that some of the opinions on the feedback page are ridiculous, how so? Are there any that are particularly not true?

Any other advice or words of encouragement are, of course, more than welcome!

PM me so that I remember to respond tomorrow - kinda late now

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get the Dean, run like the wind.

Originally posted by ankitovich
If you get the Dean, run like the wind.

why? whats up with the dean?

you mean just him/her being the dean? or is s/he a bad interviewer?

who is the dean....what is his/her name??

I don't see how having a letter of intent on your interview day could hurt you - in my opinion, it would actually help a lot and I agree with your statement that adcoms certainly want people who would rather go to NY med over their other choices. I visited and could really see why it would appeal to a lot of people. The facilities, housing, and anatomy lab seemed real nice - not to mention the great cafeteria that they have (hands down, NY med gave the best lunches to their interviewees). The students there were the most open out of all the schools I visited. For me...it's literally just the $$:( I miss the days when mommy and daddy paid for everything!

Good luck.

Originally posted by idq1i
o'connell. What's wrong with him? Does the fact that he is a psychiatrist make you uncomfortable?:laugh:

lol.

the nymc interview is very laid back and if it is your first choice why not just say that in the interview (at the right time) and follow up with a letter.

Lets just say that she was a tad abrasive. Just be forewarned.

would that be a good idea? to let the interviewer know that NYMC is my first choice at that time?

i should probably do what seems right at the time, bring a letter and if i feel it's the time and place present it, or mention it during the interview...or if not then within a couple days of the interview once i've had the time to reflect on the day.

i'm really glad to hear that most ppl found the interview laid back, but just in case (as I really want to get in here and it's my first interview) i'm being drilled by my boss (also part of the premed committee and a physician himself).

any other info is always welcome! thanks so much already tho!

edit: oh, and about how long does it take to hear from them post-interview? the booklet says eight weeks max, but i think i'll die before then!!!

considering may 15 is when we all have to drop all acceptances except for one - I doubt it'll take 8 weeks for them to get back to you when it's already late march. maybe 4 weeks. I interviewed in october and heard on dec. 31st! that was then though. good luck.

Originally posted by ankitovich
Her name is Juster. Lets just say that she was a tad abrasive. Just be forewarned.

i had juster and she was a great interview. very animated but i can imagine her grilling ppl especially if shes having a bad day

Originally posted by ek6
The facilities, housing, and anatomy lab seemed real nice - not to mention the great cafeteria that they have (hands down, NY med gave the best lunches to their interviewees). The students there were the most open out of all the schools I visited. For me...it's literally just the $$:( I miss the days when mommy and daddy paid for everything!

Good luck.

You must not have interviewed at USC

AMAZING lunch.

The interview was laid back, relaxed...they asked why I wanted to go there, a little about my background, etc.

If you're dead set on going there, telling the ADcom right after the interview can't really hurt you, I'd think.

Good luck!

I also had the same interviewer as Ankitovich and godmode, she's the Associate Dean for Admissions. Funny, because everyone seem to either hate or love their interview with her. On my interview day a girl warned me about having just had a bad interview with that person, and it got me all nervous and stuttery in the beginning of mine that she seemed to have taken pity on me and turned off the pressure :laugh:

I don't know if you've had your interview yet. I think a letter of intent would be a great idea. It shows that your serious about NYMC. Perhaps, it would be better if you sent it a day later so that you could include your favorable impressions from your interview day. Handing a letter in during your interview seems a little awkward and may show that you haven't really thought about it considering that you wrote it before you even saw the school.

Just my 2 cents.

D

NYMC MS4