NYMC v. Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kris5866

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am accepted at both and trying to decided between the two. Given all the factors, which would you choose and why?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I can only share my point of view, of course, but I'll tell you what stands out to me most about the two schools as far as their differences. (I go to Downstate, and visited NYMC a long time ago.)

1. Location. I am happy in an urban environment, so to me Valhalla felt absolutely suffocating. Couldn't stand it for one minute. Plus, where would you go when you needed a break from folks at school? NYC is far enough away that it would be a pain if you needed to get there often.

2. NYMC is a Catholic school. Frightening to me, delightful to others. At my tour my friend asked about how religious the school is and their answer was that the Catholic thing is only something they put on their letterhead, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

3. Price. Downstate is getting up to about $18,000 per year, but it's still cheaper than private school.

4. Cafeterias--they both suck!! But ours offers a little more :)

5. Curriculums--we're on the block system which I personally prefer.

Can't think of much else. I guess it boils down to where you like to live, what your personal philosophies are and what curriculum you prefer.

Hi,

I will be starting at Downstate this year. I personally liked Downstate's new curriculum (block system based) compared to NYMC traditional approach. I also felt that I would get more clinical exposure at Downstate. NYMC is expensive and far away from where I live. Both med schools matched well during the residency matchlist for 2002 and they have them posted on their website. I hope this helps! If you have any further questions regarding Downstate feel free to ask.

mike :)