NYMC vs. OUWB vs. SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrd7889

Accepted!!
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYMC:
++ East cost is where I would like to match
+ Fairly nice campus/facilities
+ Proximity to NYC/some rotations there
+ Dream of matching in NYC
- Not a fan of on-campus housing for first year
- Very large class size
- Overshadowed by better schools in NYC
- Affiliation with Touro? (I'm pretty uninformed about this but it seems to have negative connotations on SDN)

OUWB:
++ Affiliation with Beaumont Health (VERY strong hospital)
+ Student body seems very close and friendly
+ Small class size
+ Homey environment/strong emphasis on student wellness
- Midwest (would not like to match there)
- Lectures are essentially mandatory (must attend 70% to be eligible for high pass)
- Fairly new school

SLU:
+ Got a good vibe on interview day
+ New hospital being built, will be complete by M3
+ Established school
+ Strong emphasis on student wellness
+/- Medium class size
+/- On probation, but seems to be doing a lot to improve b/c of this
- Midwest
- Not a huge fan of St. Louis
- Overshadowed by WashU

The cost difference is negligible between the three. As for distance, I'm pretty far from all three but NYMC would be closest. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see much advantage in OUWB. Honestly, I had to google the school, as I'd never heard of it.
Mandatory attendance? Barf.
Non-pass/fail with ranking? Nooooo!
Midwestern? Ya, I just don't see why this is still an option for you.

I think NYMC or SLU are your best bets. SLU is probably a little bit better in terms of reputation, but NYMC puts you in a better position to match in New York or on the East Coast. I find it interesting that you find it to be a negative that NYMC and SLU have better schools in the area. I would think that this provides you with more opportunities, because if your school is lacking something, it is rather effortless to reach out to a nearby school (think: research opportunities, etc).

They are all fairly comparable schools, in the same tier. Is there one that gave you a good "gut feeling"?

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to match east coast = NYMC.

Touro affiliation means nothing (it was just a way for nymc to gain money to stay afloat and for Touro to increase it's publicity/possible revenue downstream).

The location is unmatched (westchester) and it's proximity to nyc is pretty great. Match list is good in terms of matching into westchester/nyc.

In the interest of being fair; just be okay with pretty much learning yourself (like many other medical schools). The school does record most lectures however. Also the food on campus is pretty bad and closes early.

Reactions: 1 user
out of those choices, I would lean SLU. I think SLU & NYMC >>> OUWB

Reactions: 1 user
I think I got the best gut feeling at SLU, but matching on the east coast is really important to me so I may end up going with NYMC (especially if they're transitioning to true pass/fail)

I've also been waitlisted at two schools which I would pick over all three of these...so now I wait :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think I got the best gut feeling at SLU, but matching on the east coast is really important to me so I may end up going with NYMC (especially if they're transitioning to true pass/fail)

I've also been waitlisted at two schools which I would pick over all three of these...so now I wait :rolleyes:

It's good that you have options. :)

If matching on the east coast is your top priority - NYMC, without a doubt.

Never heard of OUWB

Your (-) about better schools in the city is not a true (-). Rather, I would say it's a (+); you have more resources available to you. Wash U's medical school is also closer to SLU and SLU med than Wash U is. Most of my undergrad EC's were actually done at Wash U med.

I would put SLU first if you didn't care so much about the east coast. The only (-) I would agree with would be your vibes about St. Louis. I actually dropped a guaranteed spot at SLU Med to apply out because of safety reasons. Too many campus lock-downs, gun shots, police chases, etc. Not the friendliest city out there for sure. If you can look past that, then this is the city for you. It's in the midwest, but it gives off a big city vibe. We also have an arch. That's kinda cool.